IGNORED

Seven Sisters do 4-H

16strong

I wonder if she has other fundy readers who will benefit from her words. They could do a world of good to another who felt the same.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read that post too. It's really refreshing to see such a REAL post and to hear that her parents were so supportive! I am also surprised and relieved that she had looked out the number for a suicide prevention hotline rather than just relying on prayer and nothing else. They seem strange, but very sensible!

In the latest post on their blog from July 24th, one of the four older girls mentions that several years ago she considered killing herself (or running away, which I imagine is a very quaint scenario that involves riding the rails like a storybook hobo.) I've always thought that Cassia seemed to have a somewhat different personality than the other sisters. I remember her post about restoring a military jacket to wear and her posts about leaving 4-H and it seemed like she would miss it more than the other girls. Though they all seem like they're having a hard time aging out. Anyway, I thought it was interesting and very out of character her to basically describe a deep depression and to admit to thoughts of killing herself and going so far as to keep the suicide prevention hotline number on her. And also very brave both for a someone from such a homogenous family and/or someone who's fundy-lite. I hope she does well in her EMT training and gets what she's hoping for out of it.

Given that the typical fundie respond to mental illness is to pray more, "offer it up" (if Catholic), exorcism (if Pentecostal), etc. I worry that Cassia didn't get any substantial treatment for her problems.

That is very sad and surprising that she would post it. I hope she has gotten the help she needs. I think that as difficult as it is for the adult children in these families to break away from their parents, it would be just as difficult to be the sister that had different wants, likes, plans than the other six sisters. I hope she does well in her training (I haven't read the post, just going by what is posted here). And I hope she is allowed to dress like a regular EMT.

I'm confused why, if she wanted to be an emt did she wait three years to start training? Was it a coincidence that God's perfect timing went along with when she got permission from her parents?

I can't help but wonder if her reluctantance to follow her dream job had to do with the fact that she'd have to leave the farm girl sisterhood utopian life. Plus being an EMT requires a big time comitment outside the home, has defrauding potential, and is not a typical fundie job.

I wonder if she and her older sisters spent a few years waiting for Prince Charming to arrive, and he hasn't, and now they, and their parents, and starting to really think about what these women are going to do for the rest of their lives.

• 1 month later...

In their most recent post, the oldest daughter Jessica says she is working towards her pilot's license. Maybe these girls are finally breaking free in their own way! She says that she had long wondered if she was wasting her time living at home, and she finally decided to pursue aviation after she met a woman at a retreat who worked as a commercial pilot and helped her find a scholarship for classes. She says she will post more of the story soon.

And in the post below, Susannah is planning a trip overseas and had to take time off work. Does anyone know what kind of job she has?

I believe that Susannah is a midwife, or training to become one.

The past month-and-change has been an insane time on the Seven Sisters blog. Cassia suicidal, depressed, and thinking of running away? Now training as an EMT. Susannah working as a midwife and travelling out of the country. Jessica questioning her place at home, and getting certified as a pilot??

There has long been speculation that their parents aren't as fundy as the girls' appearance suggests. I wonder if "Mommy and Daddy" have been the impetus behind this sudden departure from the family fold. It's possible that they indulged the perpetual little-girl behavior for a long time, but are now frustrated by the continued presence of their adult children at home with no apparent intention of leaving. Hopefully, no matter whose idea this was, the girls are going to start leaving the nest and enjoying life outside of the endless cycle of lace collars and 4-H.

I'm confused why, if she wanted to be an emt did she wait three years to start training? Was it a coincidence that God's perfect timing went along with when she got permission from her parents?

I can't help but wonder if her reluctantance to follow her dream job had to do with the fact that she'd have to leave the farm girl sisterhood utopian life. Plus being an EMT requires a big time comittment outside the home, has defrauding potential, and is not a typical fundie job.

It doesn't surprise me she waited three years to start training, especially if she had depression, especially if she had thoughts of suicide.

Some people with depression have a hard time starting things, especially if they are thinking about taking their own life. It's hard to think about the future if you don't think you're gonna have one. And some people just don't have the energy, or have such low thoughts about themselves that they can always talk themselves out of it.

Is that what happened? Who knows? Just another point of view.

Yes, when I'm in the midst of even a fairly mild depressive episode, it can be overwhelming just to call my doctor for a medication change. I can't imagine trying to start something as huge as EMT training while feeling that way.

I believe that Susannah is a midwife, or training to become one.

The past month-and-change has been an insane time on the Seven Sisters blog. Cassia suicidal, depressed, and thinking of running away? Now training as an EMT. Susannah working as a midwife and travelling out of the country. Jessica questioning her place at home, and getting certified as a pilot??

There has long been speculation that their parents aren't as fundy as the girls' appearance suggests. I wonder if "Mommy and Daddy" have been the impetus behind this sudden departure from the family fold. It's possible that they indulged the perpetual little-girl behavior for a long time, but are now frustrated by the continued presence of their adult children at home with no apparent intention of leaving. Hopefully, no matter whose idea this was, the girls are going to start leaving the nest and enjoying life outside of the endless cycle of lace collars and 4-H.

Hmm, I don't know. I think there's been equal suggestion that the girls are not as fundie as they look - and Lord knows you don't have to look Mennonite to be even a very extreme fundie. It could just be plain self-discovery. I bet at least some of the girls will want to remain home. Also they do all live on a farm and work on it - that's a situation where having extra pairs of hands is useful, so it's not like they don't earn their keep even if they did stay at home. Different to being a SAHD and literally sitting around all day.

It is nice to see Jessica learning to be a pilot. I hope that she gets her pilots license.

I think the Seven Sisters are my favourite fundy family. Not giving anyone a free pass, but given that they are fundy, they genuinely seem to love each other a whole lot, clearly have a tonne of fun and enjoy each others company, and the older girls don't seem to take on a slave role of raising the other children and doing absolutely everything around the house.

I have less than 100 facebook friends, but Seven Sisters made it on my "keep" list.

I'm also glad that they are encouraged to do things they aspire to that are not even traditional for women- like an aviation hobby/career.

I think the Seven Sisters are my favourite fundy family. Not giving anyone a free pass, but given that they are fundy, they genuinely seem to love each other a whole lot, clearly have a tonne of fun and enjoy each others company, and the older girls don't seem to take on a slave role of raising the other children and doing absolutely everything around the house.

I have less than 100 facebook friends, but Seven Sisters made it on my "keep" list.

I'm also glad that they are encouraged to do things they aspire to that are not even traditional for women- like an aviation hobby/career.

Yep, I agree with you. This is the first time I've read about the Seven Sisters in depth and while they are far from perfect, it seems like the parents are genuinely supportive of their daughters' aspirations. I am really impressed that the oldest was able to pursue aviation... mostly because it is somewhat expensive to pay for lessons and flight time! I can't imagine that most fundie families would be willing to spend their money on such a thing even if they had it.

In Jessica's post about aviation, I found it really sad when she talks about God telling her to "be still". She must be in her late 20's now and obviously wants to DO stuff, not just canning apples and playing obstacle course in her backyard.

Instead of listening to that voice, getting out of the house, maybe taking community college classes, getting a job or going on a road trip, she shuts it down and forces herself to be still and content at home. Which obviously isn't a suitable environment for a productive adult.

It's great that she flies planes now, but it's only because she met a Christian lady who helped her get a scholarship ("God's timing" of course). And she clearly says she doesn't want to make a career out of it.

It's a similar thing for the sister going to Haiti. She said she thought she would "never travel" until someone offered her to come on a mission trip. Same thing with Cassia wanting to do EMT and putting it off for so long. Same thing with waiting around for a husband instead of actively meeting/emailing boys. They all seem to me like they have very low self-esteem and their parents don't care because they like having them all at home.

Although it seems like a lot of fun and games in their house, I think they're pretty extreme. Praying years-on-end for God to lead them instead of taking action. Acting like 10 year-olds instead of making decisions for themselves. Idolizing their parents and calling them "Mommy and Daddy". Anyways, just my 2 cents and it makes me kind of sad...

In Jessica's post about aviation, I found it really sad when she talks about God telling her to "be still". She must be in her late 20's now and obviously wants to DO stuff, not just canning apples and playing obstacle course in her backyard.

Instead of listening to that voice, getting out of the house, maybe taking community college classes, getting a job or going on a road trip, she shuts it down and forces herself to be still and content at home. Which obviously isn't a suitable environment for a productive adult.

It's great that she flies planes now, but it's only because she met a Christian lady who helped her get a scholarship ("God's timing" of course). And she clearly says she doesn't want to make a career out of it.

It's a similar thing for the sister going to Haiti. She said she thought she would "never travel" until someone offered her to come on a mission trip. Same thing with Cassia wanting to do EMT and putting it off for so long. Same thing with waiting around for a husband instead of actively meeting/emailing boys. They all seem to me like they have very low self-esteem and their parents don't care because they like having them all at home.

Although it seems like a lot of fun and games in their house, I think they're pretty extreme. Praying years-on-end for God to lead them instead of taking action. Acting like 10 year-olds instead of making decisions for themselves. Idolizing their parents and calling them "Mommy and Daddy". Anyways, just my 2 cents and it makes me kind of sad...

Well I don't believe in a God who physically talks to people and gives guidance, so while I would not be following their path for similar reason as yourself it sounds like, I do still feel that of those fundies we chat about, they seem by far the happiest and best taken care of.

I agree that I don't see aviation as having to do with "God's timing", because I don't have the same concept of God as them. But if that is how they view God, I don't see a problem with it. Believing things are timed in your life by a deity doesn't make you a bad person, assuming that you aren't abusing others who don't share your belief.

It's pretty clear that they have been seriously stunted-- maybe not in such a way that their spirits are crushed, but it seems like they lack the confidence or sense of autonomy to make things happen in their own lives. Instead they are waffling for literally years over fairly basic decisions, waiting for everyone else to approve, waiting for the perfect moment when everything is in place. I have known a number of people like this, not all of them fundies. Otherwise lovely people who grew up sheltered and pressured to be perfect, and now they're terrified to make any kind of decision. I don't think it's entirely the same question as how extreme their religious beliefs are.

I agree that I don't see aviation as having to do with "God's timing", because I don't have the same concept of God as them. But if that is how they view God, I don't see a problem with it. Believing things are timed in your life by a deity doesn't make you a bad person, assuming that you aren't abusing others who don't share your belief.

I agree and absolutely don't think the girls are bad people. If anything they're TOO nice, trying to please everyone but themselves. However, I feel like it's the parents responsibility to encourage their children to grow up and get out into the world, and they failed them in that sense. The frumpy outfits are also the parents' fault and stunting the girls' chances for courtship, quite obviously.

Things are slowly turning around though, and their future seems more open now than ever. Except for poor Leah, the shy second oldest, who doesn't have any hobbies it seems.

As I said earlier, I think perhaps the parents now realize that no Prince Charmings are viewable on the horizon, and although it is nice to have a SAHD or two to take care of them in their old age & help with the farm, they sure as hell don't need a half-dozen of them.

But, I agree with usedbicycle, the parents have allowed these girls to run around in a costumed make-believe doll-house world, like they are perpetually 9 years old. Now a couple of them are in the mid to late 20s, and probably still think boys have cooties.

Mom and Dad haven't emotionally equipped them to be adults, much less wives or mothers.

It's hard to say which better: training girls from 2 yrs old to become wives and mothers and denying them aspirations other than what the headship dictate

or

fostering a family where people laugh and joke but end up thwarted in other ways. I like the 7 sisters and I don't know that they see themselves as being thwarted. Still, it does seem to take them a long time to decide to do something. How about just trying something out to see if you like it?

But good on them over all.

.Otherwise lovely people who grew up sheltered and pressured to be perfect, and now they're terrified to make any kind of decision.

Totally agree! My lovely partner is an only child of older, pretty religious parents who was homeschooled for most of his school time and he's rubbish at making decisions. It's getting better now, but it's still a process and the constant desire to please everybody and offend no one is really hindering.

EAA has some youth groups around the U.S. There are scholarships available to get kids flying. The chapter my dad belongs to focuses on getting kids into building planes. They have scholarships that focus around that. Their first scholarship candidate finished two years of getting certificates for welding, basic electronics exc. she had a job before she graduated. I hope there is a program like that where the seven sisters live.

Archived