IGNORED

Seven Sisters do 4-H

16strong

What I want to know is how they even thought of that!

I looked at their Pinterest once. They seem less sheltered from pop culture than most fundie folk I know. Good sense of humor, too. When I see their stuff, I get the feeling that they observe the world even if they don't take part in all of it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always figured their parents were just naturally relaxed and calm and that's why the girls seem so happy. They clearly weren't raised by an Erika. I do wonder why they dress like that instead of just "modern modest."

Rubbish, daddy Severn makes them dress like this. - he lets his sons dress 'normal' ....

I'm sort of fascinated by them-- they seem very kind, if disturbingly sheltered-- but their site crashes my browser every time. Let me guess what was in this one-- 400 silly photos, no major life changes to report?

On the blog some of their books aren't fundy. Katie's choice (off what the What Katy did series), I can't remember that one in particular but Katy in the early books is spunky and not submissive. Likewise Little Women which they like, full of strong female characters not being submissive. Charlotte's Web again not fundy.

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - a very real book about the holocaust impacting a little girl. The focus is on jewish persecution, there's no explicit Christianity in at all.

But then maybe I am biased by the fact that their book list has many of the classics I loved as little girl growing up in liberal household. They fact that they read normal children's books to me is a big deal and not something there is any signs of other families (Duggars etc) doing.

Also the fact that one of the little girls they looked after at the fair was wearing shorts, says something positive - no short wearing girl (other than Amy) is getting close to the Duggar girls hearts.

EDIT - the Bates girls do read as one of them likes either Sherlock Holmes/Nancy Drew I can't remember which.

Rubbish, daddy Severn makes them dress like this. - he lets his sons dress 'normal' ....

True.

And I really think that they are severely limited their marriage by being cosplaying Amish.

Any Amish or Mennonite guy might look at them and be interested--but then back off when he realizes that they aren't of his particular faith.

And any NON-Amish or Mennonite guy will look at them, and ASSUME that they aren't of his particular faith, either.

So, who is left??? NO ONE!

True.

And I really think that they are severely limited their marriage by being cosplaying Amish.

Any Amish or Mennonite guy might look at them and be interested--but then back off when he realizes that they aren't of his particular faith.

And any NON-Amish or Mennonite guy will look at them, and ASSUME that they aren't of his particular faith, either.

So, who is left??? NO ONE!

Valid...except...what about the men who are into this, or the boys who are raised to think this is the only appropriate style of dress? Other fundies definitely think so...I'm not sure where, but I did see one fundie woman running a blog and selling dresses like these. Maybe the sons of those types of people!?

Valid...except...what about the men who are into this, or the boys who are raised to think this is the only appropriate style of dress? Other fundies definitely think so...I'm not sure where, but I did see one fundie woman running a blog and selling dresses like these. Maybe the sons of those types of people!?

That is a damn small pool of people. And not to be mean, because I think the Seven Sisters seem to be fun, curious, and truly warmhearted (unlike many other fundy maidens), they do not have the most beautiful countenances in the fundy dating pool. The pulled back hair and bad acne is not helping.

Ummm they really are not cosplaying Amish - relaxed Mennonite maybe. Lace and florals on the Amish, really? Knowing about Star Wars? Yeah they're sheltered but they're not Amish!

Has anyone ever emailed the Arndts to let them know about the Seven Sisters (or vice versa)? I think they would hit it off really well, but maybe it's too creepy to play internet-match-maker like that.

Oh I love the seven sisters. They make me feel

Better about life. They're just so honestly cheerful about everything. But the comment about if a boy looked at them

They'd run away giggling? I lol so much I snorted!!

I feel like while they might all have naturally silly personalities, there is a lot of pressure in that family to conform to be like the rest. I don't think it would go over well if one decided to ditch the prairie dresses and silly behavior and do something that does't fit the "farm girl" mold.

Has anyone ever checked out their etsy page? I don't know if it has been discussed here before but they sell things they sew. If you look at their reviews they have great comments about the quality of the items they make. It seems that they will also make custom made items.

I feel like while they might all have naturally silly personalities, there is a lot of pressure in that family to conform to be like the rest. I don't think it would go over well if one decided to ditch the prairie dresses and silly behavior and do something that does't fit the "farm girl" mold.

They've very much created what they seem to feel is their own little utopia. I agree that bucking the mold would definitely cause a crack or two.

Ummm they really are not cosplaying Amish - relaxed Mennonite maybe. Lace and florals on the Amish, really? Knowing about Star Wars? Yeah they're sheltered but they're not Amish!

They don't identify as either Amish or Mennonite.

We aren’t Mennonite, Amish, Brethren, Nuns, Pilgrims, or princesses (well, we are daughters of the King, so ‘princess’ could apply :D ). We’ve been asked at one time or another if we are Mennonite, Amish, Brethren, etc. and we must say that the Pilgrims and princesses (asked by little girls) are our favorites :D And by the way, we don’t mind a bit if you do ask…we think it is quite fun :D We like to tease and say that we are imposters, or that we just like to confuse people! We are Christians who go to a Baptist church, but our church doesn’t tell us how to dress or what to wear. Everyone is different at our church, which is really neat :) We wear dresses because we like them and we want to dress modestly. We wear headcoverings because of what we’ve studied out of 1 Corinthians 11 and believe that for our family, and for each of us girls individually, this is what God has called us to :) Each girl has asked of her own accord to wear it. While our parents of course prayed that we would choose the same way they did, they did not want to ‘make’ us wear it. Did some of us begin to wear it partly because our sisters were? Yes, probably ;) But we also began to wear it because we wanted to and because we believed it was what God was calling us to do, and as we’ve grown up, and sometimes even struggled and worked out why we wear it, it becomes our very own conviction and not just something our family does. Kind of like when your parents teach you to pick up your room. First you do it because you want to please them, and because you do partly believe that it’s a good idea. Then the older you get it becomes your own desire and idea to keep your room clean ;) Not sure if that’s a very good comparison, but the idea is, of course we were influenced by our parents/older siblings, but then it became our very own choice and desire :)

They admit they were influenced by their parents to dress the way they do, but still insist it is all their own choice. I think initially they just really enjoyed pleasing their parents, and now, years down the track, this is just how they dress and they identify themselves by it. It's become second nature.

It's a little sad, because they don't seem to have any concept of how much their parents wishes influenced them. I really think they sincerely believe it is each individual girls choice to dress the way they do, but in reality, it's a choice born of the expectations placed upon them. The younger girls were also influenced by the older sisters, and as they all seem so easygoing, happy and family oriented, it's hardly surprising they all "chose" the same dress code.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if one suddenly decided she had had enough, and started wearing jeans, or even a more modern modest. I imagine though, it would cause a dreadful upheaval for them all, and even though I would like them to really choose for themselves I also kind of don't wish that distress on them, as they are so likeable.

I've seen the 7 sisters on occasion when visiting my grandparents who live near that area. Never all 7 at once, but it is refreshing to see some fundies who are actually happy and pretty well adjusted. Maybe next time I'll take some pictures with them or something.

I was joking.

Maybe that is why the Arndts would be so perfect, because I get the vibe from the manboys that they would also break into giggles and run away if a girl looked at them....

Imagine-- if an Arndt boy proposed he'd give one of the 7 an engagement stuffed penguin and she could sew them all matching outfits. lol....

They aren't as bad as many, thought after all the times we've heard it elsewhere I'm not sure i believe it when any blog says the kids "choose" to do X or Z that just so happens to be the parents belief.

Oh I love the seven sisters. They make me feel

Better about life. They're just so honestly cheerful about everything. But the comment about if a boy looked at them

They'd run away giggling? I lol so much I snorted!!

I like that they have a good sense of humor and laugh a lot. They have real interests and hobbies too. I can't help but compare them to say the Duggar girls. Apart from Jill's midwifing and a brief stint in the volunteer fire department do any of them have hobbies outside of giant cassarol baking and doing hair and makeup? When you think about it the Duggar girls are immensely boreing.

I imagine on some level the seven sisters like the attention they get by the way they dress. It's their identity in a way. I don't think less of them for it either.

Maybe that is why the Arndts would be so perfect, because I get the vibe from the manboys that they would also break into giggles and run away if a girl looked at them....

which may be why it would be difficult.

However, both families and their kids do seem to have a sense of fun about life.

and whoever it was said just a couple posts ago that they were a bit enmeshed - yeah; it seems all fundy families are enmeshed.

Wow. Read the latest post by Cassia about being suicidal when she was 17. I didn't expect that one, which, of course, was wrong. Smiling photos do not a happy life make.

She will be starting an EMT class next month. I am really happy for her. It seems to be something she's wanted for a long time. I don't really understand what goes on in that house, but I'm glad she has the opportunity to do this.

Wow. I never expected to see that kind of raw, unfiltered post from one of the girls. They always write about the world in a very rose-tinted way. I am sorry that Cassia has suffered from depression. It's not an easy thing to go through.

Otoh, I am so glad she is getting to pursue her dreams. She has always expressed a keen interest in being an EMT, and she sounds ecstatic about it becoming a reality.

I'm confused why, if she wanted to be an emt did she wait three years to start training? Was it a coincidence that God's perfect timing went along with when she got permission from her parents?

I can't help but wonder if her reluctantance to follow her dream job had to do with the fact that she'd have to leave the farm girl sisterhood utopian life. Plus being an EMT requires a big time comittment outside the home, has defrauding potential, and is not a typical fundie job.

I'm confused why, if she wanted to be an emt did she wait three years to start training? Was it a coincidence that God's perfect timing went along with when she got permission from her parents?

I can't help but wonder if her reluctantance to follow her dream job had to do with the fact that she'd have to leave the farm girl sisterhood utopian life. Plus being an EMT requires a big time comittment outside the home, has defrauding potential, and is not a typical fundie job.

I don't think it was waiting on parents' permission; he mom even seemed to encourage her, arranging the ride-along (or meeting or something) with their friend. My guess is that she had ambivalent feelings and was praying for guidance (more like waiting until the perfect opportunity came and the time it took for that to happen was enough time for her to gain confidence) in her calling.

it's not a typical fundy job, but remember the Duggar sisters who took some kind of emergency training and obsessed over what kind of shoes to wear and when the chief gave them an odd look, they went away laughing saying it was because he was a guy - didn't even get that the damn shoes and denim skirts, for that matter are impractical. In any case, since the 7 Sisters' Mommy wears workout clothes, I don't' think t here will be that stringent "modesty" belief. She may very well decide to wear pants (it may be required) and sensible shoes.

They're an enigma, the 7 Sisters. I like them and even though they're pretty fundy, they seem so genuinely nice. I think if one of them wanted to start wearing shorts and tank tops, they'd still be as loved as ever within the family. Cassia even talks frankly about doubting her faith. Of course we don't know if her parents were countering that doubt by subjecting her to brainwashing sessions, but somehow I don't see it happening.

That's fantastic! I'm so happy for her. She will probably have to wear a uniform as an EMT, do you think they'll give her a skirt as a religious accommodation?

I'm glad she got this far-- I suspect from reading her post that "waiting on God's perfect timing" means "sitting around doing nothing until mommy and daddy give the go-ahead." I'm glad her parents came around to the idea--who was the girl that was about to go to med school when her parents decided that god's will was for her to stay home and take, like, a first aid class?

Archived