IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

did they say they refuse to pay their medical bills? When was that said? If true, I agree, that is really sickening

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they're concerned that Jeb will run amuck, vs. the more placid Judson. I imagine Judson will be pulling a wagon with Bradley in it.

It's been shown on the show that Jeb is a handful, and manages to escape and run off even when he has two adults watching him. I don't think they trust him to make it down the isle quietly and in a straight line. :lol:

Ah, okay, that makes sense!

It is! No charge for people who fall ill in Britain :)

I am an American who studied in Britain, and I a) had to have a kind of long-term travel insurance, and b) had to pay a co-pay to use the NHS. I mean, the cost was very reasonable, but it wasn't free.

I am an American who studied in Britain, and I a) had to have a kind of long-term travel insurance, and b) had to pay a co-pay to use the NHS. I mean, the cost was very reasonable, but it wasn't free.

OT so feel free to PM me, but I'm moving to Britain to study in two months, and I paid a surcharge thing for the NHS when I applied for my visa. I guess that's a new thing, but how is the NHS on the whole? I'm pretty healthy so I don't expect to have to use it much (fingers crossed), but I'd like to hear from another American who used the system during a temporary stint there about its quality and how it's different from the insurance I use now in the States.

I lived in France as an exchange student and carried insurance, but was never able to actually pay for my health care from doctors offices. I lived in a small town so they didn't deal with foreigners too much and it may have been to much of a hassle.

It's been shown on the show that Jeb is a handful, and manages to escape and run off even when he has two adults watching him. I don't think they trust him to make it down the isle quietly and in a straight line. :lol:

That could be the reason.

Two of the Bates girls (I want to say Katie and...Josie?) speak with a "valley girl" thing that I'm not understanding since they live in the back woods of TN.

My youngest niece and her friends talk the same way, and it's annoying as hell.

My youngest niece and her friends talk the same way, and it's annoying as hell.

I think it's Tori and Carlin. "I hadn't done be'in' called". Yeah, well. There's worse in the world than local dialects, especially since they frequently mock themselves as well.

Re Judson vs. Jeb: I think Judson is a "Michael-girl" whereas Jeb is Erin's pet and Michael adores Bradley. It would make sense to include him in the wedding, he's also still a baby and can't run off.

did they say they refuse to pay their medical bills? When was that said? If true, I agree, that is really sickening

Not recently, but they used to say that they don't have health insurance and don't go to regular doctors, but use the ER instead.

Here's what I found doing a super-quick search:

One odd thing about they family’s financial plan is that they don’t have health insurance. In the 20/20 episode, Gil praised the care the family receives at the ER, but that doesn’t exactly explain how they pay ER bills, which can be quite high. They do receive free prenatal care from a faith-based clinic.

http://starcasm.net/archives/170065

When there's a medical emergency, we just go to the doctor and America's been the greatest health care in the world,' said Gil.

'When you walk in the emergency room, I don't care what your status of living, they give you the best care possible.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -more.html

I guess they don't explicitly say that they don't pay for their ER bills, but I feel like Gil is implying that going to the ER is free. And how could they possibly pay for ER visits when they had to borrow money from Lawson to buy groceries? Things are probably different now that they have their own show and a few of the kids have left the nest, but three years ago, no way were they able to pay for ER visits out of pocket.

Michael(la) is often lauded as an excellent semstress. I am crossing my fingers that we will hopefully see wedding and bridesmaids dresses that aren't all jacked up with obvious modesty alterations. Besides, since she has had what feels like the world's longest fundy engagement, she's had plenty of time to think about what she wants.

Michael(la) is often lauded as an excellent semstress. I am crossing my fingers that we will hopefully see wedding and bridesmaids dresses that aren't all jacked up with obvious modesty alterations. Besides, since she has had what feels like the world's longest fundy engagement, she's had plenty of time to think about what she wants.

I think her rather longish courtship and longer engagement are the reason for her being so desperate to get married. They have been getting to know each other for 2 years now. 2!!! years. Non fundie couples get to be alone with each other, hold hands, kiss, be intimate, move in together, live together, have children. All stuff that Brandon and Michaella have had to wait for over such a long time. No wonder that she wants to make progress in her life and finally get permission to be an adult (aka marriage). She's had to watch 3 of her siblings, 2 of them even younger than her achieve so much in so little time, how can anyone blame her for finally wanting that for herself?

I will be curious to see if the Bates are more candid about Addallee's hearing issues than the Duggars about Josie's possible developmental issues. I hope so.

Can I ask a terrible questions? OT. Does anyone think the reason the Josie developmental delay speculation has such legs is that Josie is not.... Forgive me... A cute kid? The other Duggar girls are cute. It would not be so noticeable were she not the baby of a photogenic bunch of sisters.

Don't hit me. I hate to think in such a shallow way, but, well, here I am.

I think it's Tori and Carlin. "I hadn't done be'in' called". Yeah, well. There's worse in the world than local dialects, especially since they frequently mock themselves as well.

Re Judson vs. Jeb: I think Judson is a "Michael-girl" whereas Jeb is Erin's pet and Michael adores Bradley. It would make sense to include him in the wedding, he's also still a baby and can't run off.

Tori and Carlin have completely adopted the local grammar; they might could learn proper if Kelly hadn't done taught'em over the dinin' room table. (Except speaking like that doesn't actually show lack of English knowledge. It's entirely acceptable in that part of the US. I find it amusing, but not annoying.) It's the younger two who go all valley girl: "they, like, were all like, where's the beach dude! y'know?"

And I'm always shocked when Erin and Michael sound the same (except Erin completely 'g' drops and Michael prefers to make it [nk]). And Alyssa sounds like them, only more nasal.

Can I ask a terrible questions? OT. Does anyone think the reason the Josie developmental delay speculation has such legs is that Josie is not.... Forgive me... A cute kid? The other Duggar girls are cute. It would not be so noticeable were she not the baby of a photogenic bunch of sisters.

I don't think this question is without merit. Josie doen't exactly have any obvious craniofacial abnormalities, but she does (did? she seems to be growing into some features) have some odd features as a baby that would have stuck out to any clinician evaling her for delays. Her ears seemed a bit low set to me, her eyes are "funny"/puffy, and overall she is what is awfully termed a FLK in early intervention/early childhood circles. FLK stands for funny looking kid. Usually if it comes up in an eligibility discussion, it leads to a discussion of syndrome considerations and a deeper delve into medical records or further medical referrals.

Obviously FLK is not used in front of parents, and it always makes me cringe a little when I hear it. However, because many facial abnormalities are linked to syndromes, and syndromes are often linked to delays the sentiment behind the term is relevant.

Not recently, but they used to say that they don't have health insurance and don't go to regular doctors, but use the ER instead.

Here's what I found doing a super-quick search:

http://starcasm.net/archives/170065

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -more.html

I guess they don't explicitly say that they don't pay for their ER bills, but I feel like Gil is implying that going to the ER is free. And how could they possibly pay for ER visits when they had to borrow money from Lawson to buy groceries? Things are probably different now that they have their own show and a few of the kids have left the nest, but three years ago, no way were they able to pay for ER visits out of pocket.

I just wish, that during that interview about health insurance, the interviewer would have asked Gil what he thought about the rest of America using the same "insurance" policy as his family. He honestly cannot think that's a sustainable, or even possible way to handle health care. Well, when I try to think like a fundie, I guess he could. And they vote Republican! :music-tool:

Money doesn't grow on trees. He, of all people, should know that. And healthcare is not free.. anywhere. Someone pays for it.

She is not an attractive child. I hope she grows out of it, and many unattractive children do, but at this point, she's just not cute.

That said, I don't think the reason there is speculation about her being delayed because she's not attractive. I think it's her actual behavior that causes the speculation.

I don't think Josie is cute either, but I think she'll grow out of it. She still has the bug-eyed preemie look, and to me, most preemies don't look very attractive for the first few years (hope I don't sound like a meanie here). Once she gets older, I'm sure her face will fill out more, and she will lose that look. All of her sisters are beautiful, and I'm sure she will be, too.

I don't think Josie is cute either, but I think she'll grow out of it. She still has the bug-eyed preemie look, and to me, most preemies don't look very attractive for the first few years (hope I don't sound like a meanie here). Once she gets older, I'm sure her face will fill out more, and she will lose that look. All of her sisters are beautiful, and I'm sure she will be, too.

Someone in another thread says she resembles Honey Boo Boo. My daughter arrived at 26 weeks and was only 1 pound 8 ounces. She has never had a bug eyed preemie look. She looks just like I did at her age - I'd post a pic but safety, ya know. I guess I don't have an association naturally with typically preemie stuff because she was actually very healthy and other than hearing aids for a year or so, she is perfect and super bright. She is a year younger than Josie.

IMO Josie looks a LOT like Michelle.

As for another observation I dont get UPTV so I only see the episodes if they are on youtube but watching some of the recent webisodes I noticed a weight gain in Kelly amd a lacknof full body shots could she be expecting number 20?

IMO Josie looks a LOT like Michelle.

As for another observation I dont get UPTV so I only see the episodes if they are on youtube but watching some of the recent webisodes I noticed a weight gain in Kelly amd a lacknof full body shots could she be expecting number 20?

Loads of people have speculated this. Most likely it's just middle age weight gain.

Loads of people have speculated this. Most likely it's just middle age weight gain.

I think Josie looks like a mini-Michelle too, and I guess I am in the minority but I think she's cute. Her behavior does seem a little off, but that could just be how they edit her or she gets tired of the interviews. The thing that I thought was questionable was Jill feeding her with a spoon, but she just might be a fussy eater and they can only get her to focus on eating if someone else feeds her?

I hate to call out a woman for looking pregnant, but in Kelly's situation since she has 19 kids I feel fine and will just say she looks like she could be pregnant. Maybe she and Gil felt a pregnancy would keep them on for a few more seasons?

I think Josie looks like a mini-Michelle too, and I guess I am in the minority but I think she's cute. Her behavior does seem a little off, but that could just be how they edit her or she gets tired of the interviews. The thing that I thought was questionable was Jill feeding her with a spoon, but she just might be a fussy eater and they can only get her to focus on eating if someone else feeds her?

I hate to call out a woman for looking pregnant, but in Kelly's situation since she has 19 kids I feel fine and will just say she looks like she could be pregnant. Maybe she and Gil felt a pregnancy would keep them on for a few more seasons?

Or honestly, her stomach muscles may just be beyond repair since she has abused them so much. I don't mean that as snark. It is likely just the sad truth. I cannot imagine what crazy things have happened to her poor body over the years. My baby was literally sliced out of me, lest we both die. I have a permanent weird fat envelope that won't go away from what the doctor had to do, even though I have done yoga for 14 years and am pretty strong with good natural muscle and a strong core - heck, I expected Pilates to really kill me, but it just proved how strong I am down there! Yet, the strangeness remains!!

Josie doesn't look like most of the other kids, but she looks a lot like what one of them did.. I think either Joy or Jinger? Can't remember which one, but I saw a picture one time and it really struck me how much Joy/Jinger (again, can't remember) looked like Josie as a child. I think Josie's totally fine, and even if she's not, people who are trying to diagnose via television based on her looks are :doh:

So I guess one of the things that happen when you get your own show is that private pilot training becomes an option. Is it Nathan or Lawson that wants that? Anyway not a cheap hobby.

-Will they splash out and start Bates Aviation?

-If so will there a thread tracking them like Duggar?

-Not implying that JB "needs" a private plane, but does Gil need one even less? This is less an economical question like they decided cheaper to own, but more does JB need a plane to get him around,, and it's not about JB it's about Gil (hope THAT made sense)

-is this a keeping up with a Duggars thing?

-any other Air Bates thoughts?

Yes, for long term care. You wouldn't have had to pay for an emergency though.

Archived