IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

Gil and Kelly Bates have 19 kids and a TV show, just like the Duggars used to, only their show is on UP, a channel I've never heard of. A couple of the kids are married now. I guess some people find them interesting, maybe?

I haven't been following this topic at all. Can someone who has please post a summary of recent discussion points?

Here's Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24788

and Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25345

and their archive: viewforum.php?f=101

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

summary of recent discussion:

the upcoming (august 15) wedding of michael bates & brandon keilen, in which kelly bates is maid-of-honor and jana duggar is a bridesmaid.

always discussion of pants, courtship rules, are they/aren't they exactly like the duggars. :lol:

Eldest daughter Michael/Michaella, the Bateses' equivalent of Jana, is engaged and getting married next month. Theme is pink and brown. Bridesmaids include Jana, Tori, Alyssa. Kelly will be Matron of Honour. Flower girls are Addee, Ellie and Callie, and ringbearers will be Judson and Bradley. (Not sure how that's gonna work since he'll be nine months old, and not likely to be walking. Unless Whit carries him...)

Zach, the eldest, has an eight-month-old son, Bradley. Erin has a son, Carson, after several miscarriages. Alyssa, 20, has a daughter, Allie Jane, who shares her birthday with Aunt Carlin. Alyssa also made a huge step (for her and fundies in general) by wearing sleeveless tops and... PANTS!

Some people prefer the Bateses to the Duggars because they seem more personable, and Kelly actually has a relationship with all her kids. However, since Gil is actually on the IBLP board, they are in that whole IBLP/ATI shit deeper than the Duggars. Case in point, Gothard was at Erin's wedding, and apparently it was his birthday that day- the "groom's cake" had a sign on it saying "Happy Birthday Mr Gothard".

I don't watch the Bateses, but I've seen clips, and from what I've seen Kelly does not adopt a baby voice. Her Southern accent is quite pronounced.

(OK, not all of these are recent discussion points, but a little bit of info for ya).

Did anyone else know Addee had hearing problems? I saw in my dvr that the next ep would feature Kelly talking about it in a candid manner. I'm interested to see how they handle this.

Did anyone else know Addee had hearing problems? I saw in my dvr that the next ep would feature Kelly talking about it in a candid manner. I'm interested to see how they handle this.

That does sound familiar (no pun intended). I remember there was an explanation as to why her name was spelled with so many double letters (Addallee) cause they were doubly grateful she was ok, or something along those lines. It was in her bio on one of their earlier websites.

That does sound familiar (no pun intended). I remember there was an explanation as to why her name was spelled with so many double letters (Addallee) cause they were doubly grateful she was ok, or something along those lines. It was in her bio on one of their earlier websites.

I remember reading that too. Something about God giving her a second chance at life after complications at birth. Not sure if that has anything to do with hearing problems, though.

I remember reading that too. Something about God giving her a second chance at life after complications at birth. Not sure if that has anything to do with hearing problems, though.

Interesting, I too remember that. Hadn't connected the two in my head. Guess we'll see next week.

Yeah, it says on the Bates website:

The double letters in her name remind us that God gave her a second chance in life when she was born with complications that caused her breathing and her heart to stop.

I get being grateful, but I think I'd probably be more grateful for the doctors, nurses and NICU team myself.

I will be curious to see if the Bates are more candid about Addallee's hearing issues than the Duggars about Josie's possible developmental issues. I hope so.

I will be curious to see if the Bates are more candid about Addallee's hearing issues than the Duggars about Josie's possible developmental issues. I hope so.

I agree it will be interesting to see what they say.

However, the hearing issue may be much ado about nothing. I am 80% deaf in one ear. It is nerve damage not from loud noise, I can hear some sound at some tones but because of the nerve damage it's very difficult for me to distinguish different like sounding words on that side. For example say "boy" and "toy" it would be pretty much impossible for me to figure out the difference between those 2 words in just that one ear. Most people have no idea I am almost 1/2 deaf because my other ear compensates for the problem in the other ear. There are some issues, sometimes I am late at getting a joke because the word I heard doesn't make sense so then my brain quickly translates it to a better fitting word (the word the person actually said) and then I get the joke. I am also sometimes late at getting the gist of conversations if people are covering their mouth to make their words muffled or mumbling. I know all people have this problem but it is greater for me. I almost always walk on the left side of people- especially in crowded areas so I can hear the conversation. At tables (restaurants, meetings, etc) I always try to get their early to either be at the head table or on the left corner so all the people are on my good side. (This is a problem with my left handed husband, we both want the left corner but for different reasons!) In school (K-grad school) I typically sit on the left side of the room so I can hear better. I've never had any speech or learning issues because of it. I never know if I should mark it as a disability or not on surveys like the census or on job applications. I usually don't because the only accommodation I need is not to have people talk in my deaf ear :) So anyway, a long rambling that hearing issues may not be a big deal at all.

(before anyone suggests it, I don't wear a hearing aid because hearing aids are designed for non-nerve damage hearing. I have tried them but the technology isn't there yet for my hearing loss, unless I went cochlear but that isn't on the table since I have a perfectly normal hearing on the other side.)

I believe she was in the NICU for 10 days? If I recall correctly. She probably had a course of antibiotics. One of the antibiotics they give newborns can cause hearing damage. Just a theory.

Ugh why is this even a thing. Why must these people exploit their kids at every opportunity? Especially the younger ones. It just makes me AAAHHHHH :pull-hair:

Ugh why is this even a thing. Why must these people exploit their kids at every opportunity? Especially the younger ones. It just makes me AAAHHHHH :pull-hair:

I agree, and I wouldn't be surprised if JB convinced Up to put his show back on the air, since it's the network that's allowing the Bates to exploit their children. He's such a famewhore that I think he'll do whatever he can to keep his family famous.

Eldest daughter Michael/Michaella, the Bateses' equivalent of Jana, is engaged and getting married next month. Theme is pink and brown. Bridesmaids include Jana, Tori, Alyssa. Kelly will be Matron of Honour. Flower girls are Addee, Ellie and Callie, and ringbearers will be Judson and Bradley. (Not sure how that's gonna work since he'll be nine months old, and not likely to be walking. Unless Whit carries him...)

Zach, the eldest, has an eight-month-old son, Bradley. Erin has a son, Carson, after several miscarriages. Alyssa, 20, has a daughter, Allie Jane, who shares her birthday with Aunt Carlin. Alyssa also made a huge step (for her and fundies in general) by wearing sleeveless tops and... PANTS!

Some people prefer the Bateses to the Duggars because they seem more personable, and Kelly actually has a relationship with all her kids. However, since Gil is actually on the IBLP board, they are in that whole IBLP/ATI shit deeper than the Duggars. Case in point, Gothard was at Erin's wedding, and apparently it was his birthday that day- the "groom's cake" had a sign on it saying "Happy Birthday Mr Gothard".

I don't watch the Bateses, but I've seen clips, and from what I've seen Kelly does not adopt a baby voice. Her Southern accent is quite pronounced.

(OK, not all of these are recent discussion points, but a little bit of info for ya).

Erin is also a bridesmaid. I'm surprised Jana wasn't chosen as maid of honor. Or even one of her sisters over Kelly. I've never heard of anyone having their mother as their matron of honor. My brother was best man in a wedding last month where a groomsman flaked at the very last minute so the groom's dad filled in. It did help that he already had a tux fitted to match the wedding party ;)

Copied from Brandon and Michael's instagram:

The brides maids are Kelly Bates, Jana Duggar, Erin Paine, Angie Keilen, Tori Bates, Becky Keilen, Alyssa Webster, Christy Keilen. The groomsmen are Nate Paine, Brent Keilen, Craig Keilen, Andy Warner, Lawson Bates, Gabe Cleator, Trace Bates, Kelly Dornink.

Here's a little bit about it, it mentions a slight hearing problem. Alyssa had a comment on one of her Instagram pics a while back from an audiologist in the Bates' area, so it seems that they are acknowledging and treating it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/bates-fami ... 053&page=2

Here's a little bit about it, it mentions a slight hearing problem. Alyssa had a comment on one of her Instagram pics a while back from an audiologist in the Bates' area, so it seems that they are acknowledging and treating it.

I really hope they fucking have health insurance now. That makes me so angry. Take care of your children, responsibly! :naughty: :angry-banghead:

Urgh, that part about just going into the emergency room and getting taken care of with no health insurance just drives me crazy.

Erin is also a bridesmaid. I'm surprised Jana wasn't chosen as maid of honor. Or even one of her sisters over Kelly. I've never heard of anyone having their mother as their matron of honor. My brother was best man in a wedding last month where a groomsman flaked at the very last minute so the groom's dad filled in. It did help that he already had a tux fitted to match the wedding party ;)

Copied from Brandon and Michael's instagram:

To be fair, Michael and Kelly always seemed very close. Kelly repeatedly said on her blog that Michael is her "hero" in the way that she helps at home and supports her in bringing up the littles and her big role model in self-discipline and diligence. If they have a friendship-like relationship now, it would seem more natural to pick Kelly as Matron of Honor than any other friend. If she picked a friend over a sister,e.g., it could promote jealousies and disappointment.

If she picked a sister instead of, say, Jana or that Keilen girl, her close friends could be disappointed not being that special person. Or say, she wanted to pick Jana but Jana did feel uncomfortable being in the spotlight that much, Michael might have just considered her feelings as she herself doesn't like being in the limelight all too much. So, she chose Kelly as her Matron of Honor which is a way not only to honor her mother, but also a way to avoid any stress with the other girls. Nobody is as "special" as her own mother, nobody can take that place.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Or maybe it's as simple as Kelly mentioning that she would've loved being a bridesmaid once in her life and Michael picking up the idea of including her as a special gift to Kelly, given that they'll live far apart in the future.

I think it's very sweet that Kelly is going to be her daughter's matron of honor. I have to agree what others have said about their relationship.

To be fair, Michael and Kelly always seemed very close. Kelly repeatedly said on her blog that Michael is her "hero" in the way that she helps at home and supports her in bringing up the littles and her big role model in self-discipline and diligence. If they have a friendship-like relationship now, it would seem more natural to pick Kelly as Matron of Honor than any other friend. If she picked a friend over a sister,e.g., it could promote jealousies and disappointment.

If she picked a sister instead of, say, Jana or that Keilen girl, her close friends could be disappointed not being that special person. Or say, she wanted to pick Jana but Jana did feel uncomfortable being in the spotlight that much, Michael might have just considered her feelings as she herself doesn't like being in the limelight all too much. So, she chose Kelly as her Matron of Honor which is a way not only to honor her mother, but also a way to avoid any stress with the other girls. Nobody is as "special" as her own mother, nobody can take that place.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Or maybe it's as simple as Kelly mentioning that she would've loved being a bridesmaid once in her life and Michael picking up the idea of including her as a special gift to Kelly, given that they'll live far apart in the future.

Her wedding, her choice. I'm glad that her and Kelly have that close relationship. After I wrote that I did think about the stress/jealously factor among the sisters had she picked Jana. I guess my train of thought was Kelly is already mother of the bride, which is innately a position of honor at a wedding, so it'd make sense to honor a sister or friend as the maid/matron of honor. I wonder if Gil will perform the ceremony.

I am thankful she is matron-of-honor, simply because that means the silver plates, pass-around dress monstrosity we've seen traded among michelle and kelly might not make a ghastly appearance?

(I normally don't like to snark on clothes, but at the time of purchase, both families had enough money and social presence to buy share something that didn't look like it got stuck on the back of the most neglected rack at David's Bridal...and had been discounted so many times, the tag was nothing but red pen ink scribbles...)

I agree it will be interesting to see what they say.

However, the hearing issue may be much ado about nothing. I am 80% deaf in one ear. It is nerve damage not from loud noise, I can hear some sound at some tones but because of the nerve damage it's very difficult for me to distinguish different like sounding words on that side. For example say "boy" and "toy" it would be pretty much impossible for me to figure out the difference between those 2 words in just that one ear. Most people have no idea I am almost 1/2 deaf because my other ear compensates for the problem in the other ear. There are some issues, sometimes I am late at getting a joke because the word I heard doesn't make sense so then my brain quickly translates it to a better fitting word (the word the person actually said) and then I get the joke. I am also sometimes late at getting the gist of conversations if people are covering their mouth to make their words muffled or mumbling. I know all people have this problem but it is greater for me. I almost always walk on the left side of people- especially in crowded areas so I can hear the conversation. At tables (restaurants, meetings, etc) I always try to get their early to either be at the head table or on the left corner so all the people are on my good side. (This is a problem with my left handed husband, we both want the left corner but for different reasons!) In school (K-grad school) I typically sit on the left side of the room so I can hear better. I've never had any speech or learning issues because of it. I never know if I should mark it as a disability or not on surveys like the census or on job applications. I usually don't because the only accommodation I need is not to have people talk in my deaf ear :) So anyway, a long rambling that hearing issues may not be a big deal at all.

(before anyone suggests it, I don't wear a hearing aid because hearing aids are designed for non-nerve damage hearing. I have tried them but the technology isn't there yet for my hearing loss, unless I went cochlear but that isn't on the table since I have a perfectly normal hearing on the other side.)

I agree that it might be much ado about nothing. I was 50% deaf in both ears when I was a child as a result of undetected inner ear infections caused by a poorly formed Eustachian tubes which had lasted for at least 4 years (my mom first started noticing hearing problems when I was 2 and it took until I was 6 for a doctor to take her seriously because I was able to talk and I had taught myself how to lipread). They gave me ear tubes, cleared my ears out, and all was well. Every so often, I have problems again, but typically nothing a few doses of decongestants can't fix. I do have a little bit of trouble when it comes to processing sounds, which my doctor says doesn't surprise him, but I just ask people to repeat what they said if I didn't understand them.

Her wedding, her choice. I'm glad that her and Kelly have that close relationship. After I wrote that I did think about the stress/jealously factor among the sisters had she picked Jana. I guess my train of thought was Kelly is already mother of the bride, which is innately a position of honor at a wedding, so it'd make sense to honor a sister or friend as the maid/matron of honor. I wonder if Gil will perform the ceremony.

On the Mother of the Bride bit, I think that largely depends on the wedding. I've only been to one wedding in which any of the parents were given anything beyond the Father of the Bride walking the daughter down the aisle and dancing with her at the reception. Heck, I've been to more weddings where none of the parents were involved in the actual ceremony or given a dance at the reception than I've been to weddings where even one of the parents was involved.

In most of the weddings I have been to the parents of the groom and mother of the bride were the last to be seated before the wedding party. I have never been to one where the mother of the bride was the matron of honor.

Urgh, that part about just going into the emergency room and getting taken care of with no health insurance just drives me crazy.

You mean like people in countries with universal healthcare?

Archived