IGNORED

Bonnie at A Knotted Life is pregnant again

singsingsing

Bonnie had made a post about how if poor African women felt they had too many kids already, they shouldn't use birth control. They should just abstain from sex likes she does. Because that is clearly working out for her. :roll:

mockingbird wrote,

"....And Monica on Touched by an Angel comforted a character once by saying, "it takes great faith to be angry at God" (as in, the alternative was to give up). That's good enough for me :lol: I think it is true though that it's OK to question your faith and be angry, if they are true to you then you will just come back to them wiser and have stronger faith in them IMO. ..."

BigMJB was raised Catholic back in the 1930s. She was aghast at the thought of taking a break from church, even as a Lutheran in her otherwise very rational 40s and 50s. To her, church equaled God.

I found this in a Catholic prayer group I attended as an invited guest. One of the couples confided that their daughter was shacked up with her fiancé, and asked for ideas on talking them into marrying. All the suggestions from the other RCs in the group had to do with imploring them to "honor the church" and "to see how they are hurting the church," and they didn't seem to mean "the other people in the church."

The kids were to be shown how they were disrespecting the church's rules. (I suggested that they tell the kids to make it legal at the courthouse, and have a church wedding and blowout reception when they wanted one. They met me with stares of benign sympathy at my inability to understand: Until the couple had waited the church-imposed 6 months and taken the preCana courses, they couldn't (scoff!) marry civilly!)

My point is that folks confuse the church with God so, so much.

Back to mockingbird's Angel quote. BMJB and I watched a Carol Burnett made-for-TV movie where Carol's character's son dies and Carol rants and raves "at God." BMJB was horrified, the thought that a human would DARE rail at God. It was the first time I used what little wisdom I had acquired, and didn't argue with her. But I've always thought God had broad enough shoulders to listen to us yell at Her. She understands.

I love many Roman Catholics and a retired priest is one of my favorite people. I don't want to appear to be making fun of them. I just can't agree with the way they think.

Bonnie had made a post about how if poor African women felt they had too many kids already, they shouldn't use birth control. They should just abstain from sex likes she does. Because that is clearly working out for her. :roll:

That got a big eye roll from me too. So glib. So naive. So judgmental. And so hypocritical.

Also, if you are pro-choice (including if you yourself would never have an abortion), you skeeve her out and she doesn't want you to be near her children.

I went back and looked at her early archives and one of her first posts mentions that she really missed her maiden name after she got married, like I think she said she felt like crying. Now, I'm sure even if you really want to change your name you could be surprised by how big of a change it is and have it hit you really hard. But so much of this woman's life seems to be dictated by things she feels she's "supposed" to do, not anything she actually WANTS to do. Obviously, there has to be some moderation in life and you can't always get what you want* but that doesn't mean you have to live a Puritanical life either. I've always thought, if there is a God, and he/she wanted us to live just as he/she wanted why did he/she even create Earth in the first place? We are supposed to get joy out of this life (see also, Maxwells).

*but if you try sometimes, you just might find, YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED. /sorry

That got a big eye roll from me too. So glib. So naive. So judgmental. And so hypocritical.

Also, if you are pro-choice (including if you yourself would never have an abortion), you skeeve her out and she doesn't want you to be near her children.

Unfortunately for Bonnie, they keep forgetting to pin big, scarlet 'A's on our chests when we get abortions, so she'd have a hard time telling that she needs to be "skeeved out" by me since I tend not to bring my uterus up in polite conversation.

mockingbird wrote,

BigMJB was raised Catholic back in the 1930s. She was aghast at the thought of taking a break from church, even as a Lutheran in her otherwise very rational 40s and 50s. To her, church equaled God.

I found this in a Catholic prayer group I attended as an invited guest. One of the couples confided that their daughter was shacked up with her fiancé, and asked for ideas on talking them into marrying. All the suggestions from the other RCs in the group had to do with imploring them to "honor the church" and "to see how they are hurting the church," and they didn't seem to mean "the other people in the church."

The kids were to be shown how they were disrespecting the church's rules. (I suggested that they tell the kids to make it legal at the courthouse, and have a church wedding and blowout reception when they wanted one. They met me with stares of benign sympathy at my inability to understand: Until the couple had waited the church-imposed 6 months and taken the preCana courses, they couldn't (scoff!) marry civilly!)

My point is that folks confuse the church with God so, so much.

Back to mockingbird's Angel quote. BMJB and I watched a Carol Burnett made-for-TV movie where Carol's character's son dies and Carol rants and raves "at God." BMJB was horrified, the thought that a human would DARE rail at God. It was the first time I used what little wisdom I had acquired, and didn't argue with her. But I've always thought God had broad enough shoulders to listen to us yell at Her. She understands.

I love many Roman Catholics and a retired priest is one of my favorite people. I don't want to appear to be making fun of them. I just can't agree with the way they think.

Well 'they' are not one homogenous mass, and different Catholics will react differently. My grandma is a cradle Catholic raised before Vatican 2 but would not equate the church with God, or be afraid of criticising the church hierarchy. My grandma is from an Irish Catholic trade unionist family so perhaps her position is more common amongst more leftwing Catholics.

God bless birth control! :clap: :D

I agree with this. In a way, she reminds me of my grandma on my dad's side, since I get the impression that she only had children because it was her duty as a Catholic wife, not because she actually liked having them. I'm sure she realized the reason why my dad and uncles only had 2 children at the most, thanks to birth control. It was probably a good thing things worked out that way, as my grandma was extremely cold ad a grandmother, and she would have been overwhelmed with a dozen grandchildren.

Honestly, you all had me scared when you said Fundie Catholic. She does sounds like many of my Catholic friends, although I had never heard of Bishop Fulton Sheen and I was raised in IL and my parents watched EWTN on occasion.

I thought she was going to be Opus Dei or one of those nuts that wants to get rid of changes from Vatican II

She just needs to knot her fallopian tubes together, and quit reproducing.

She's the kind of woman you see on the news that ends up losing it from stress, and hurting her children and herself.

She actually makes herself sound borderline violent when she talks about her struggles with PPD. I would never suggest that a woman who's experienced PPD should not have another child, but Bonnie is on a whole other level. She was completely out of control and had lost the ability to function even on a normal day-to-day level before she finally got help. That wasn't that long ago, and now she's pregnant again. Who knows if the medication she's taking can be continued through pregnancy and breastfeeding? Even if it can, why is she doing this to herself? This is not a woman who, despite it all, was longing for another baby. She's made it quite clear that she's terrified of more pregnancies and more babies. The way she talked after the later one, it seemed obvious she thought it could very well be their last. And now here she is, pregnant again. Because of some arbitrary rule written by an unmarried, celibate male decades ago who purported to speak for God. :doh:

Archived