IGNORED

Josiah Duggar - Part 3 Now with lost heart pieces

happy atheist

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a sincere question, not an insult or judgement. Totally sincere, because I have never understood the logic of this particular position about clothing.

How is, say, a pair of linen pants and a tank top so much less comfortable than jeans and a t-shirt? To me, it is exactly the same, provided the fit is good. And, in scorching heat like we have here at the moment, the linen pants and tank is exceedingly more comfortable than denim and sleeves of any kind.

Okay, my dumb question...what exactly are linen pants? Clearly I know nothing about fashion.

I wear t-shirts because I don't like my arms and prefer to have the chunkiest part covered. (Now back when I was quite thin, I did wear tank tops.) I like actual short-sleeves and not cap-sleeves like the Duggars. I think cap sleeves are quite unflattering on chunkier arms like mine.

As far as jeans...I actually wear denim shorts in the summer, not long pants. I don't wear ANY pants in the summer. Even when I had jury duty, I wore black 'dress shorts' because the courthouse was sweltering. For day to day, I like that I can sit on the ground in denim shorts and brush them off with no worries of grass stains or anything like that. Any 'muck' my toddler may get on me is easily cleaned off.

When I am at home, which is most of the time, I wear cotton shorts...basically like sweat pants material, but shorts.

Okay, my dumb question...what exactly are linen pants? Clearly I know nothing about fashion.

I wear t-shirts because I don't like my arms and prefer to have the chunkiest part covered. (Now back when I was quite thin, I did wear tank tops.) I like actual short-sleeves and not cap-sleeves like the Duggars. I think cap sleeves are quite unflattering on chunkier arms like mine.

As far as jeans...I actually wear denim shorts in the summer, not long pants. I don't wear ANY pants in the summer. Even when I had jury duty, I wore black 'dress shorts' because the courthouse was sweltering. For day to day, I like that I can sit on the ground in denim shorts and brush them off with no worries of grass stains or anything like that. Any 'muck' my toddler may get on me is easily cleaned off.

When I am at home, which is most of the time, I wear cotton shorts...basically like sweat pants material, but shorts.

A quick google search will show you exactly what linen pants are. And I think linen pants are way more comfortable than denim! In hot, humid places especially. Or for beach days.

Linen pants are pants made out of linen. Linen fabric is made from a naturally occurring fiber from Flax. The clothing made from linen is very comfortable to wear. The drawback is, sweat once, or sit down, and you look as if you slept in your clothes. Ironing linen takes the hottest setting on the iron, AND the old fashioned: sprinkle the item with water, roll it up, put it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 24 hours, THEN iron it!

I love linen, but only if I'm going to be in air-conditioning.

ETA some words.

TMI alert - I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating even when I am NOT hot)...so if I wear thinner fabric, I sweat right through. Not a good look. Ha! So while linen and whatnot may be more 'comfortable' for some...it makes me uncomfortable in other ways.

On hot days, I pretty much stay indoors with the AC blasting anyway. The heat index yesterday and today is 105. But it's nice and cool inside. Quite comfortable in my shorts and t-shirt.

Linen pants are pants made out of linen. Linen fabric is made from a naturally occurring fiber from Flax. The clothing made from linen is very comfortable to wear. The drawback is, sweat once, or sit down, and you look as if you slept in your clothes. Ironing linen takes the hottest setting on the iron, AND the old fashioned: sprinkle the item with water, roll it up, put it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 24 hours, THEN iron it!

ETA some words.

With a bit of other fiber blended with the linen, they still breathe well and can wrinkle much less.

But I wasn't talking about ironing. Linen came to mind because that is what I chose in place of jeans yesterday due to heat. I just see that particular "fashion" trope all the time: "I only wear jeans because everything else is not comfortable". And I don't get it. Any kind of pants are the same as jeans in terms of comfort as long as they fit (and if you consistently find that they are not as comfortable...then maybe they don't fit so that's the problem, not the fabric). And in scorching summer heat (we had heat indexes around 110 f here yesterday), denim is fricking hot as it is heavier and does not breathe well.

And the answer from the poster I asked was pretty illuminating as it was a list of things that are not jeans that she wears. And I often suspect that is the real answer.

I just see that particular "fashion" trope all the time: "I only wear jeans because everything else is not comfortable". And I don't get it. Any kind of pants are the same as jeans in terms of comfort as long as they fit (and if you consistently find that they are not as comfortable...then maybe they don't fit so that's the problem, not the fabric). And in scorching summer heat (we had heat indexes around 110 f here yesterday), denim is fricking hot as it is heavier and does not breathe well.

I don't get it either. Yes, my favorite pair of jeans are comfy, but certainly not what comes to mind as the most comfortable thing to wear. However, I did work in an office that was very casual and my uniform of choice was jeans nearly everyday. We could wear shorts as well and I did sometimes. As a man, I personally find it torture to wear a suit and tie, however I do own them and have worn them. Mostly for formal night on cruises or weddings and funerals.

With a bit of other fiber blended with the linen, they still breathe well and can wrinkle much less.

But I wasn't talking about ironing. Linen came to mind because that is what I chose in place of jeans yesterday due to heat. I just see that particular "fashion" trope all the time: "I only wear jeans because everything else is not comfortable". And I don't get it. Any kind of pants are the same as jeans in terms of comfort as long as they fit (and if you consistently find that they are not as comfortable...then maybe they don't fit so that's the problem, not the fabric). And in scorching summer heat (we had heat indexes around 110 f here yesterday), denim is fricking hot as it is heavier and does not breathe well.

And the answer from the poster I asked was pretty illuminating as it was a list of things that are not jeans that she wears. And I often suspect that is the real answer.

Sorry, I didn't realize in my very first post I should have made a list of every article of clothing I have ever worn as opposed to just a general description of what I wear when I leave the house. If you were to look at my Facebook photos, for example, all you would see are jeans (I say "jeans" for both jean shorts and jean pants if we're being nit-picky) and t-shirts. People who don't come into my home are pretty much only ever going to see me in jeans (again, shorts/pants, just to clarify) and t-shirts. Oh, wait...I better specify that I also wear long-sleeved tees in the Fall and Winter. Maybe even a cardigan over the top if I'll be somewhere colder.

It's really not my problem if you can't comprehend that not everyone has the same idea of what qualifies as comfort. I don't really know why you care so much what I, or anyone else, thinks is comfortable anyway.

I didn't see anyone saying full length jeans are more comfortable in the heat than lighter weight fabrics. No, long heavy denim in the summer heat is not the most breathable choice.

I think "comfortable in the heat" got mixed up somewhere with the talk of full length skirts in the summer and people saying they don't wear the latest trends and just feel more comfortable in jeans and t-shirts.

But, "comfortable" can mean different things. Someone saying "I feel more comfortable in jeans" might mean they feel psychologically comfortable not necessarily physically comfortable. That's what I mean when I say it (although a good pair of well-fitting jeans feels physically comfortable to me too).

I don't always keep up with the latest trends so jeans are pretty "safe". Yeah there are trends like skinny, flared, bootcut, boyfriend, whatever...but for the most part, basic jeans are a classic staple. You're not going to be cutting-edge fashion but you can get by without feeling too out of the loop.

Plus, jeans are really easy for people like me who don't always want (or even know how) to put together a well coordinated outfit. Basic blue denim can be paired with just about any color or patterned top. Not much thinking=easy=comfortable.

ETA some words.

Linen wrinkles but that is part of its charm. It is a very breathable fabric.

It's like Christmas! Open a package thinking it's something, and it's another thing! Instead of Josiah, it's pants-debate from the start. :whistle:

TMI alert - I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating even when I am NOT hot)...so if I wear thinner fabric, I sweat right through. Not a good look. Ha! So while linen and whatnot may be more 'comfortable' for some...it makes me uncomfortable in other ways.

On hot days, I pretty much stay indoors with the AC blasting anyway. The heat index yesterday and today is 105. But it's nice and cool inside. Quite comfortable in my shorts and t-shirt.

Ugh, me too. I took a ballroom dance class one semester, and had to choose my clothes v-e-r-r-y carefully so as to hide any bizarre sweating, particularly for turns. It can be 20 degrees outside, and I've still seeped through the base layer of my outfits. I hate it. I still wear light clothes, but always with at least one layer underneath to absorb any moisture.

Ugh, me too. I took a ballroom dance class one semester, and had to choose my clothes v-e-r-r-y carefully so as to hide any bizarre sweating, particularly for turns. It can be 20 degrees outside, and I've still seeped through the base layer of my outfits. I hate it. I still wear light clothes, but always with at least one layer underneath to absorb any moisture.

Yeah...it's pretty awful. My husband will be like "here...buy these khaki shorts" and it's like..."are you insane?"

Since my last post I still havent seen anybody in skirts here. Skirts are not popular at all in my woods, and least bit maxi skirts(only people I knew to wear them was my German (also a RE teacher) and my 60 year old math teacher in 1992.

If only we could get some sort of social media statement out of Josiah on his opinion of maxi skirts...or even just skirts in general...or maybe his thoughts on women in pants.

So I hadn't really seen many women in maxi skirts or dresses lately- live in Ohio- and I swear I read this thread, went to a mall, and they were everywhere. It was weird.

I go to a big university in good ol' Texas, maxi skirts and dresses are very popular.

clothing that doesnt cling to your body is a lot cooler than jean shorts in 105+ heat

:fsm:

I think a fun game would be to see if there is absolutely anything , on the entire planet, that FJ couldn't turn into a snob fest.

Any suggestions?

I think a fun game would be to see if there is absolutely anything , on the entire planet, that FJ couldn't turn into a snob fest.

Any suggestions?

what about flossing though :dance:

Any suggestions?

tie dye patterns?

what about flossing though :dance:

"Excuse you I only floss every now and then and I haven't had a cavity in 60 years! People who floss too much are just anal retentive and need to chill out." << That's how I see that going hehehe

Oh, pulezze, everyone who is anyone knows that only horrible hippies wear tie - dye! It's not even worth discussing :naughty: ! Plus those women probably don't even wear bras, let alone a properly constructed and fitted $50 bra. Losers.

I floss my teeth with one of those electric water flossers. I don't know why everyone else doesn't,

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived