IGNORED

Hey Seppis: You live in California.

CaptainFunderpants

From Ebony Magazine, June 1962

Negro History: Part VII

The Civil War at a Glance

https://books.google.com/books?id=jtcDA ... cy&f=false

Black people fought, but nothing backs up any black people being there of their own free and willing accord.

I can't see that there is credible evidence that black soldiers did any real fighting. Were they there? Of course. No one denies that.

http://www.las.illinois.edu/news/2013/confederates/

Notable lines-

* "The Myth of the Black Confederates is a relatively new phenomenon, arising after the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s...The notion of African Americans fighting in large numbers for the South was never suggested in the immediate aftermath of the war because white veterans would have been still alive to shoot down the idea."

(The article you presented was written in the 1960s.)

*As evidence that black men fought heroically for the South, neo-Confederates today will sometimes dig up photos of black servants dressed in military uniforms. But according to Levine, “Some servants were dressed in military uniforms because that was the kind of clothing available in the army.†It didn’t mean they were real members of those army units, he says."

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ers/21370/

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... federates/

*This is a particularly interesting article. The historian in question uses writing by Frederick Douglass to perpetuate the story of the black Confederate soldier:"Douglass published an account of the First Battle of Bull Run, which noted that there were blacks in the Confederate ranks. A few weeks later, Douglass brought the subject up again, quoting a witness to the battle who said they saw black Confederates “with muskets on their shoulders and bullets in their pockets.†but I used a good quote from the first article to disprove the implied meaning behind this.

I'm also disinclined to trust the source you posted, particularly in light of a few book reviews of his book "Forced into Glory":

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lin ... steers.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/08/27/r ... oref=login

Not exactly the same attachment to the symbol though. I admit I had no idea that the state flag was tied to a bunch of Americans who came to stage a revolt - for about a month. And I'm a California native :embarrassed: . It was probably covered in a paragraph in 4 th grade history, but I guess I wasn't paying attention that day. It's not my impression though that people, in general, have strong feelings about the state flag as the Confederate flag.

Yeah. I was really kidding. And my 4th grade history was also more rusty than I realized as I remembered them actually losing and the Bears didn't so much lose as kinda join up with the US when the US Army finally decided to get involved. But I definitely wasn't trying to equate the two flags--just making a joke.

I love all the Californians reaching back to 4th grade history for reference points. :lol: All I remember from 4th grade is the gold rush and a list of explorers, politicians, businessmen, and/or con artists whose names I recognized as neighborhood streets and nearby cities, etc. It's so funny that CA has taught history this way for so long. My daughter had pretty much the same experience 20 years after I did, in a different county.

I love all the Californians reaching back to 4th grade history for reference points. :lol: All I remember from 4th grade is the gold rush and a list of explorers, politicians, businessmen, and/or con artists whose names I recognized as neighborhood streets and nearby cities, etc. It's so funny that CA has taught history this way for so long. My daughter had pretty much the same experience 20 years after I did, in a different county.

The emphasis on the Anglo settlers can be very political. In a state with a huge population of Latinos, it's really important that the state history isn't completely whitewashed.

4th grade history for this Californian means just two things. Sutter's Mill and 'The Mission Project'. All the Californians who did 4th grade here will know to what the latter one refers. And why it's associated inextricably in my mind with sugar cubes. :lol:

Esther posted a satirical video of "Miss USA contestants" talking about math, but I'm pretty sure she didn't realize it was satirical. So are some of her Facebook friends.

facebook.com/seppifamily/posts/10206268593289411?pnref=story

The Seppis aren't just dumb; they're so totally humorless.

Guessing this is in response to SC taking down the flag at the capitol grounds. That flag was put there in 1961, supposedly to honor start of civil war's 100th anniversary. The fact that the US was in the midst of the civil rights movement was totally just a coincidence. :roll: The history of that flag is messy and dirty and was on the very wrong side of history and it does indeed stand for very negative things. Also, the war ended over 150 years ago. The South lost. It's time to get over it. The flag does not symbolize anything good. Many from the state where it was removed are quite happy it is down. Southern pride my ass.

-From someone who actually lives in the south and grew up in the mid-atlantic/southeastern US.

Also, not saying there aren't are because there may be, but I have not met anyone who openly donned the confederate flag who was not a racist or claimed to not be racist but when push came to shove their actual racist attitudes emerged loud and clear. May be some, somewhere, who aren't racist, but have yet to met them.

Edit because meant aren't racist, not are on the last line. My bad.

Esther posted a satirical video of "Miss USA contestants" talking about math, but I'm pretty sure she didn't realize it was satirical. So are some of her Facebook friends.

:shock:

I guess the fact that it was clearly meant as a mockery of people who want Creationism taught in schools escaped her entirely.

Yes, I saw that posted yesterday and everyone was outraged. I said Um, none of these women are as made up and coiffed as real miss USA contestants and Miss Vermont would not be in a flannel shirt. I googled and posted the original that they were spoofing, of the real (made up and hair done) Miss USA using similar answers about whether evolution should be taught in schools... but some people still thought the math one was real.

Yes, I saw that posted yesterday and everyone was outraged. I said Um, none of these women are as made up and coiffed as real miss USA contestants and Miss Vermont would not be in a flannel shirt. I googled and posted the original that they were spoofing, of the real (made up and hair done) Miss USA using similar answers about whether evolution should be taught in schools... but some people still thought the math one was real.

Well, Esther probably just thought, "Oh, I guess the sodomites are taking over the Miss USA pageant, too."

Well, Esther probably just thought, "Oh, I guess the sodomites are taking over the Miss USA pageant, too."

What I found amazing was that if anyone watched the actual video, where the Miss USA contestants were making the same inane arguments about teaching evolution in schools, NO ONE talked about how stupid they sounded. Because this little group probably don't want evolution taught. I believe the whole thing sailed right over their heads.

4th grade history for this Californian means just two things. Sutter's Mill and 'The Mission Project'. All the Californians who did 4th grade here will know to what the latter one refers. And why it's associated inextricably in my mind with sugar cubes. :lol:

I was so disappointed my parents refused to buy me sugar cubes for my mission. I had to make mine out of cardboard.

Nobody has caught on to the point of the parody Esther posted on Facebook yet.

If I had a Facebook account under something other than my real name, I would be so tempted to explain it to them.

I was so disappointed my parents refused to buy me sugar cubes for my mission. I had to make mine out of cardboard.

I only remember a shoe box with glued-on sand to look like adobe. :lol: I don't think I would have been allowed to use sugar cubes either.

Nobody has caught on to the point of the parody Esther posted on Facebook yet.

If I had a Facebook account under something other than my real name, I would be so tempted to explain it to them.

Tried to go there using the link and can't find it-- get the "it might have been removed" notice.

Tried to go there using the link and can't find it-- get the "it might have been removed" notice.

Hey, Seppis -- are you reading here, or did one of your fellow fundies clue you in that the people being mocked in that video are your ilk? :lol:

Their Facebook page is a hotbed of conspiracy theories. :shock:

I did not, but I did find a nifty video of a Seppi giving birth...... WHERE WERE THE RESCUE FERRETS?

ACK!! I'm so sorry :( Since I'm not around as much right now, I clearly need to get a few more ferret handlers for these type of situations!

I can offer you a lifetime supply of :brain-bleach: if that is any help!

• 2 weeks later...

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to give you everything you have. Remember this when you're tempted to take that check from financed by the taxpayers. ~Esâ€

facebook.com/seppifamily/posts/10206394515837396?pnref=story

Really, Esther? So David is turning down those “government school†pension checks now? And I assume you’re not using that government health insurance either?

They are so shameless in their hypocrisy.

Man, I think sugar cube buildings are exclusive to California education. None of my friends who went to elementary school outside of CA knew what I was talking about!

I went to private school, so the Mission Project was in 2nd grade along with Pioneers and the Gold Rush. We had to build a castle out of sugar cubes in 5th grade instead of the mission in fourth. I still remember trying to glue together those damn sugar cubes to build a replica of Hampton Court during my entire spring break.

Man, I think sugar cube buildings are exclusive to California education. None of my friends who went to elementary school outside of CA knew what I was talking about!

I went to private school, so the Mission Project was in 2nd grade along with Pioneers and the Gold Rush. We had to build a castle out of sugar cubes in 5th grade instead of the mission in fourth. I still remember trying to glue together those damn sugar cubes to build a replica of Hampton Court during my entire spring break.

....so, I may have gotten into hot water for eating the sugar cubes mortared together with frosting on the San Juan Capistrano mission.....

As for the Seppis, I grew up in a rural, conservative, farming town. I can see many of my classmates' parents totally into their rights to have the flag in their front yard. I no longer live there (but mom does!).

Feminists think they're superheroes, but they're really just fat, ugly lesbians who hate babies!

facebook.com/seppifamily/posts/10206510428815148?pnref=story

Yeah, it really bugs me the absolute non-attention paid to the fact that there were both thriving Native American and Mexican cultures going on here BEFORE the U.S. came and along. Or pretty much any mention that they actually took the state in a war. Particularly since the state population , and much of the culture, is Latino. And the ONLY mention of any of it is the missions.

Yeah, it really bugs me the absolute non-attention paid to the fact that there were both thriving Native American and Mexican cultures going on here BEFORE the U.S. came and along. Or pretty much any mention that they actually took the state in a war. Particularly since the state population, and much of the culture is Latino. And the ONLY mention of any of it is the missions.

It's going to be interesting when Pope Francis comes and makes Junipero Serra a saint. There are so many indigenous people against it while an equal number are clambering. I personally think he was like the rest of the Spanish conquistadors who took what they wanted and used it up. Quite similar to the Europeans on the right coast.

Re Missions. Now you can go to Michael's or JoAnn's and buy complete kits. No more sugar cubes, or sprayed cardboard with sand. Snap it together, buy the livestock and the humans, and voila you've got a mission. I truly don't remember my kids missions, their dad must have done it with them.

Feminists think they're superheroes, but they're really just fat, ugly lesbians who hate babies!

facebook.com/seppifamily/posts/10206510428815148?pnref=story

:roll:

Don'tcha love it when people turn themselves into stereotypes by trying to stereotype others?

Love this comment:

I am a feminist and I have 6 children and 19 grandchildren. To me being a feminist is my granddaughters having the same opportunities as my grandsons.

Hey, what a concept.

Archived