IGNORED

Jim Bob Duggar sighted with felon Kent Hovind

mirele

What are tax and structuring charges? What did this guy actually do?

Not to be a leg humper, but its lot like he is a pedophile or anything

I have an entire website dedicated to his 2006 trial (and some on his 2015 trial): http://www.hovindology.com

The long and the short is this: Kent Hovind had a ministry which employed in the neighborhood of 45 people. He did not pay income tax and Social Security for these employees, who he called "missionaries." The IRS charged him with 12 counts of failing to pay tax on his employees (for 2001-2003). That's the tax charge. The 45 structuring charges were for when Jo Hovind (wife) would go down to the bank at Hovind's direction and cash $9900 checks (or thereabouts). This kept the transactions under the $10,000 limit where banks have to report your transactions to the government. As mentioned, this was done 45 times, hence 45 charges. Hovind was also found guilty of one count of obstructing the IRS. Jo Hovind was found guilty of 45 counts of structuring and sentenced to 1 year in prison and a year of probation, while Kent got 10 years in prison plus three years probation.

On top of this and separate from the criminal case, Kent and Jo were also found liable for ~$1.5 million in back taxes and ~$1.5 million in IRS penalties for failing to pay income tax for 1998 to 2006. Kent is on tape (and in the New York Times) as boasting he had not filed a tax return in 28-30 years (so, basically, since he became an adult). Hovind tried to get out from underneath all of his tax problems by various methods, mostly of the sovereign citizen variety. He claimed the government didn't have jurisdiction and he wasn't a citizen of the United States. Obviously, that didn't work.

Now that he's out of prison, on home confinement and will be on probation as of August 11, he will have to get a regular W-2 job and file income tax returns. If he doesn't do this, he'll be back in prison finishing out the rest of his sentence.

Hovind's "just" a tax cheat--why he would want to hang out with a pedo enabler like Jim Bob is beyond me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an entire website dedicated to his 2006 trial (and some on his 2015 trial): http://www.hovindology.com

The long and the short is this: Kent Hovind had a ministry which employed in the neighborhood of 45 people. He did not pay income tax and Social Security for these employees, who he called "missionaries." The IRS charged him with 12 counts of failing to pay tax on his employees (for 2001-2003). That's the tax charge. The 45 structuring charges were for when Jo Hovind (wife) would go down to the bank at Hovind's direction and cash $9900 checks (or thereabouts). This kept the transactions under the $10,000 limit where banks have to report your transactions to the government. As mentioned, this was done 45 times, hence 45 charges. Hovind was also found guilty of one count of obstructing the IRS. Jo Hovind was found guilty of 45 counts of structuring and sentenced to 1 year in prison and a year of probation, while Kent got 10 years in prison plus three years probation.

On top of this and separate from the criminal case, Kent and Jo were also found liable for ~$1.5 million in back taxes and ~$1.5 million in IRS penalties for failing to pay income tax for 1998 to 2006. Kent is on tape (and in the New York Times) as boasting he had not filed a tax return in 28-30 years (so, basically, since he became an adult). Hovind tried to get out from underneath all of his tax problems by various methods, mostly of the sovereign citizen variety. He claimed the government didn't have jurisdiction and he wasn't a citizen of the United States. Obviously, that didn't work.

Now that he's out of prison, on home confinement and will be on probation as of August 11, he will have to get a regular W-2 job and file income tax returns. If he doesn't do this, he'll be back in prison finishing out the rest of his sentence.

Hovind's "just" a tax cheat--why he would want to hang out with a pedo enabler like Jim Bob is beyond me.

Great job putting all of that together! Makes me wonder what Holvind thinks of so-called "welfare queens" relying on the government for their livelihoods or whatever the right-wing says.

Just read his Wiki article. What the fuck kind of rabbit hole did I fall in?! Hovind reminds me an awful lot of David Koresh.

Thanks for explaining all this.

Those sovereign citizen jerks are a serious problem. Is Duggar hooked up with them too?

This was the first hit: rawstory.com/2015/05/creationist-pastor-if-evolution-is-true-then-it-wasnt-wrong-for-josh-duggar-to-molest-his-sisters/

I might be done googling for the day. :angry-banghead:

From the link:

Hovind said. “If evolution is true Josh should not have admitted his faults over a decade ago because what one evolved bag of molecules does to another bag of molecules just doesn’t really matter. If evolution is true there is no ultimate Judge on the bench who will hold every man, woman, and child responsible for their actions. And if evolution is true you will not give an account for every idle word you speak.â€

Wow, what a lot of hogshit. If I believe in evolution then I must believe all people are merely bags of molecules whose actions don't matter? Insane. I don't know if this guy has never met a non-creationist or he is unable to comprehend that other people with views different from himself have moral values. No, jackass, I don't believe that humans are just bags of molecules. I believe that we are all more than just our bodies-- we are entities with ideas, feelings, histories, hopes, and dreams. And, no, I don't think there is an "ultimate judge" who will sit on his throne and judge each soul because I am not a superstitious looney who believes in magic. But don't worry there are plenty of real judges with real powers to punish you right here on earth. Plus every sensible person who reads your ignorant garbage will judge you and find you lacking in common sense and worthwhile opinions.

Duggar plane went to Yazoo City this morning then returned few hours later via Jackson, MS airport

Would you Xpost to Duggar plane thread? Thanks.

I live in Pensacola. I remember seeing the Dinosaur Adventure Land place. Never went there as we aren't fundies. The place is sitting there falling apart now as far as I can remember.

I was gonna say, can't wait to see the leghumpers defend this move. But then I remembered, they defended child-molester Josh, and Jim Bob & Michelle's coverup. So... never mind.

I really wonder how many other criminals they're tied to, and if there's something deeper and more sinister going on. :?

These people are NOT criminals! They are being persecuted for their faith. Just ask them! :roll:

JimBob is perpetually going to find himself on the wrong side of history. His associations are all sick and twisted fucks. No doubt JB has convinced himself that he is being brave by following and associating with these idiots, and I think he gets a perverse pleasure from it because he somehow thinks their 'righteousness' excuses their actions. Or worse, that they had to do those things because of their righteousness.

These are lawless people who have the veneer of social civility, when in fact they are thwarting the laws of the land at almost every turn. They seem themselves as heroes. They equate their "struggle" with true heroes throughout history.

It is sick and pathetic, but also scary. There is a point where these asshats intersect with isolationists, homegrown extremist militias, and other criminal elements. Part of why I want the Duggars to go down in a public and shameful way, is to perhaps influence people who were just dabblers in this bullshit to back away. Some of the less intelligent will hang on of course, but there is a chance that it might influence many more to step away. I don't get pleasure in thinking that the Duggar kids may suffer in some way as a result of all of this, but I want to see Ma and Pa exposed to the point where the majority of their own fanbase can no longer support them.

These people are dangerous. Their cult is dangerous and it branches out and supports other dangerous organizations and individuals.

Wow this is quite something. Seems these fundies have a warped sense of morality. They define their own!

I keep thinking of an early episode where Michelle Duggar quoted a saying she'd learned from Grandma Duggar: "Show me your friends, and I'll show you your future."

This was the first hit: rawstory.com/2015/05/creationist-pastor-if-evolution-is-true-then-it-wasnt-wrong-for-josh-duggar-to-molest-his-sisters/

I might be done googling for the day. :angry-banghead:

Thanks for letting me know before I went down that rabbit hole to hell....

Those sovereign citizen jerks are a serious problem. Is Duggar hooked up with them too?

That's the question I have. There's no evidence to suggest the Duggars have gone for sovereign citizen nuttery, just your basic criminal failure to report and stuff like that.

Oh, Jim Bob, you are building a house of cards that somebody is about to sneeze on.

In general, people with political aspirations should stay away from convicted felons. I wonder if Boob has finally trashed his dream of hooking up with a real politician.

They don't even question their choices or behaviors because they have convinced themselves that their very existence is special and for their god. They are incapable of thinking about consequences for their choices because, well, there never have been any because - god. They are so convinced of their specialness they live every second of their lives as if the world sees them exactly as they see themselves.

I keep almost reading the title of this thread as "Jim Bob Duggar sighted with fellow Kent Hovind" or almost like "Jim Bob Duggar sighted with fellow felon Kent Hovind."

Huh

In general, people with political aspirations should stay away from convicted felons. I wonder if Boob has finally trashed his dream of hooking up with a real politician.

I'd say you might want to reconsider your word choice there but... oh man, wouldn't that be hilarious?! Like that scandal ~10 years ago where the politician was soliciting sex in an airport bathroom. :lol:

I'd say you might want to reconsider your word choice there but... oh man, wouldn't that be hilarious?! Like that scandal ~10 years ago where the politician was soliciting sex in an airport bathroom. :lol:

You know, if I recall correctly, that's what we all hoped the BIG Duggar scandal would be. Josh or someone hooking up in an airport bathroom.

Instead, we got Josh being a child molester.

Seriously, what is he thinking? If he wants the show to come back and get into good graces with the viewing public, this is the exact opposite way to do it.

The self-righteous, holier-than-thou, I'm infallible cuz I'm Christian schtick just does not look good on people. Ever.

Senator Larry "wide stance" Craig cruising in a men's room at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport, that excuse still cracks me up. :lol:

Senator Larry "wide stance" Craig cruising in a men's room at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport, that excuse still cracks me up. :lol:

I don't know if he was the one who said "I am not gay, I never have been gay," but a local radio station used to play that audio clip, and it would crack me up every time I heard it.

Unfortunately, the big Duggar scandal was that Josh molested his sisters and at least someone else, which was covered up by his parents.

Archived