IGNORED

Gothard is back

GenerationCedarchip

I think many people have no idea just how deeply some of his incredibly destructive ideas have been absorbed into mainstream evangelicalism. I'd never heard of him before January, 2014, but I can see clearly now that so much of what I've come to despise about evangelicalism has roots in his teaching. Things like the extreme male-headship crap, the idea of the umbrella of protection, forcing abuse or crime victims to examine their own sin (and the forced, instant forgiveness that follows), female modesty/blaming girls and women for men's supposed inability to not be sexist assholes...all really took root from his teaching.

He has been frighteningly influential, even among people who have never heard of him. Most of what I listed above didn't exist at all, or was much less pronounced, in evangelical-type churches before the 80s. IFB notwithstanding, of course.

So this is kinda a related question: was the courtship thing, in it's modern fundie form, a Gothard creation? I've always wondered about that since it cropped up in my conservative Southern Baptist life at one point as the "cool new fad" for parents to want their kids to do. It was never really discussed from the pulpit or anything, just more moms talking to each other about it. Since being exposed to fundieism, I know wonder if that was spurned by Gothard.

I vividly remember my mother researching articles about courting to give to another parent at church. By the time any of group of youth/young adults I grew up with were ready for relationships, the fad had ended and they all dated with no signs of the main courting rules (at least as far as I know). I remember thinking it was stupid, especially all the involvement of parents on every little thing.

Like I said before, Gothard will outlive Methuselah and come back from the dead like Lazarus.

So this is kinda a related question: was the courtship thing, in it's modern fundie form, a Gothard creation? I've always wondered about that since it cropped up in my conservative Southern Baptist life at one point as the "cool new fad" for parents to want their kids to do. It was never really discussed from the pulpit or anything, just more moms talking to each other about it. Since being exposed to fundieism, I know wonder if that was spurned by Gothard.

I vividly remember my mother researching articles about courting to give to another parent at church. By the time any of group of youth/young adults I grew up with were ready for relationships, the fad had ended and they all dated with no signs of the main courting rules (at least as far as I know). I remember thinking it was stupid, especially all the involvement of parents on every little thing.

Yeah, I do think it started with him. Were there any non ATI-influenced families doing courtship (or worse, betrothal) before the 80s? I meant to include it in my list, but forgot about it!

Fuck me, I went down the rabbit-hole and skimmed through his website full of horseshit. This guy is a bigger fuckface than I could ever imagine and I'm pretty JB and Smuggar got their victim blaming straight from Got-hard.

I laughed way harder at that than I should have. Bravo!

Also, I was going to say that this is Gothard's soundtrack for his next season in life, but alas it has a rock beat:

I think the next offshoot of FJ is producing Broadway musicals. We could give the Book of Mormon a run for its money.

She's also marrying someone who works at ATI HQ.

brandon is david-waller level of the cult... and michael is definitely a big kool aid drinker out of the bates kids, so i have no doubt that got-hard will be in attendance.

I have been reading the stories from the SG website. This creep is disgusting. And now he wants to get back in the game?

This man will never go away! What a delusional, narcissistic fool. I was surprised to find out from my mom that his books/teachings for youth were used in her SB church in the 70s. (At which point a lot of things began to click into place regarding my mom and dad's families -who both grew up in the same church.) Surprised because I thought his presence didn't grow until the 90s as he was relatively new to the scene in the 70s. He had a presence further back than I thought.

Every offense that I have committed against various people can be traced to a lack of genuine love in my life. The more I have reflected on this painful truth, the more repentant and brokenhearted I have become. I cannot undo my offenses. I can only humbly and sincerely ask each one of you whom I have offended to forgive me for my failure to demonstrate the love of Christ to you. I can also dedicate the rest of my life to living out genuine love and encouraging as many others as possible to do the same. I have now made this my life goal.

:violin: Cry me a river. :violin:

he demonstrated the love of christ by laying on the hands. so the whole virgin living with momma celibate thing that was his claim to fame did not work for him huh?

Genuine love?

Playing footsies with a girl who doesn't mind?

Finding the adoration of someone with no facial flaws?

A girl who truly gets off on slicked over hair that gets washed once a week?

Someone just like mother?

That special lady who can recite all the character qualities in order?

The lunatic who will not stop gazing adoringly at you?

He is truly disgusting. I feel so much empathy for the victims and their feelings during his "return", I'm sure they are feeling triggered by this.

Every offense that I have committed against various people can be traced to a lack of genuine love in my life. The more I have reflected on this painful truth, the more repentant and brokenhearted I have become. I cannot undo my offenses. I can only humbly and sincerely ask each one of you whom I have offended to forgive me for my failure to demonstrate the love of Christ to you. I can also dedicate the rest of my life to living out genuine love and encouraging as many others as possible to do the same. I have now made this my life goal.

Fuck you, you mother fucking son of a bitch! If you were truly repentant, you would renounce your dangerous belief system. You and your ilk disgust me!

'Tis no genuine apology (IMHO) when you have to blame a person, situation, or circumstance for your misdeed(s).

True repentance accepts the entire blame for what happened, in a case like this.

The Christian Patriarchal Movement is not just Gothard, evil little foot fetishist that he is. He has certainly been influential and destructive, but he is hardly the only shark in the Evangelical pond. Gothard seems to appeal more to Baptists, but his is/was a parachurch and welcomes all denominations.

Check out Rousas Rushdooney and Christian Reconstructionism some time. Rushdooney predates Gothard, is even more frightening, and was probably a lot more influential. Gothard was just riding on his coat-tails. Phillips, Botkin and Pearl all seem to come more out of the Calvinist Christian Reconstructionism tradition.

He is truly disgusting. I feel so much empathy for the victims and their feelings during his "return", I'm sure they are feeling triggered by this.

Some of his victims may be struggling because of this news - others may not be. We really can't know for sure. All we know is he's back and we need to treat him with a round of series antibiotics and see a Degreed Medical Professional for treatment- otherwise the Gotharrhea will spread.

Genuine love = martial sex. He wanted to have sex.

Genuine love = martial sex. He wanted to have sex.

OT - I'm sorry, but marital --> martial is one of my favorite typos 8-)

I am no fan of cockroaches, but what have they ever done to deserve comparison with Gothard?

The Christian Patriarchal Movement is not just Gothard, evil little foot fetishist that he is. He has certainly been influential and destructive, but he is hardly the only shark in the Evangelical pond. Gothard seems to appeal more to Baptists, but his is/was a parachurch and welcomes all denominations.

Check out Rousas Rushdooney and Christian Reconstructionism some time. Rushdooney predates Gothard, is even more frightening, and was probably a lot more influential. Gothard was just riding on his coat-tails. Phillips, Botkin and Pearl all seem to come more out of the Calvinist Christian Reconstructionism tradition.

Yes, definitely. I was thinking more about non-fundie, mainstreamevangelicals. I think they're much more influenced by Gothard (often unknowingly) than the VF/QF fundie types.

Bill Gothard's back and he’s gonna make more trouble

(Hey-la, hey-la, Bill Gothard's back)

When you see him comin', better cut out on the double

Girls were feelin’ safe, he was out of view

But look out now 'cause he's comin' after you

Hey, he wants to see us cryin'

And he’s really good at lyin'

He's been gone and it was a treat

Now he's back, we’re hiding our feet

You're gonna be sorry that you’ve got long curls

'Cause he's so obsessed with long-haired girls.

Hey, he really is a creeper

Fake apologetic weeper.

What made him think we'd believe all his lies?

(Aah-ooh, aah-ooh)

He’s a big man now but we'll cut him down to size

(Aah-ooh, wait and see)

Bill Gothard's back, despite his shitty reputation

If I were him, I'd take a permanent vacation

(Hey-la, Bill Gothard's back)

[bBvideo 560,340:3rfj4oe1]

[/bBvideo]

Does anybody know if Gothard had his hands in the televangelist fad of the 80's?

Archived