IGNORED

4th of July at Elissa and Joe Maxwells

SPHASH

Me too! I have always been amazed that more of these homeschoolers don't use 4-H, though the Maxwells likely worry about the worldly influence of the other 4-H kids and families. Plus, there is the competition at the county fair and speaking and parliamentary contests over the years--as evil as sports, no doubt.

But various 4-H projects teach nutrition, cooking, sewing, home projects, electrical wiring, photography, animal husbandry, crops, gardening, etc... all the kinds of things that the patriarchy says it wants people to be skilled in.

But God forbid the kids would be exposed to a Methodist or a single mom....

No, not Methodists!!! :o

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, not Methodists!!! :o

As someone who was raised Methodist I always think of Pat Robertson's old quote when I read the fundies and their certainty that other Christians are evil.

You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them.

-- Pat Robertson, The 700 Club television program, January 14, 1991

I hope she didn't. They're pretty ugly, imho. That muddy red in the kitchen? :ew:

I was around for the whole "Liz escapes Maxhell" saga and I was under the impression she did not get a say in anything with the house. Somehow I suspect she was too much of a fun personality to pick colors like those.

I was around for the whole "Liz escapes Maxhell" saga and I was under the impression she did not get a say in anything with the house. Somehow I suspect she was too much of a fun personality to pick colors like those.

I suspect so, too. Beige, gray, and a color you never want to see in your toilet. Not colors I think she'd pick.

Who is the guy with the glasses?

This is the first time I've thought that John (?) (recently traveled to ... somewhere) was attractive/defrauding.

What is the weather like in Kansas? Is it hot and humid? I can't imagine being clad in denim in summer. Yuck.

The quiche doesn't look awful to me. I'd eat that.

I suspect so, too. Beige, gray, and a color you never want to see in your toilet. Not colors I think she'd pick.

They claimed they discussed the colors over Skype or something, but I think the discussion was Joseph saying what he was going to do and Liz saying she disagreed or wanted something different. I just do not buy they would let her choose anything.

Who is the guy with the glasses?

This is the first time I've thought that John (?) (recently traveled to ... somewhere) was attractive/defrauding.

What is the weather like in Kansas? Is it hot and humid? I can't imagine being clad in denim in summer. Yuck.

The quiche doesn't look awful to me. I'd eat that.

Guy with the glasses is likely Jesse. He's the only Maxwell kid who wears them. If it's the old guy in a white shirt, no idea who he is.

As someone who was raised Methodist I always think of Pat Robertson's old quote when I read the fundies and their certainty that other Christians are evil.

You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them.

-- Pat Robertson, The 700 Club television program, January 14, 1991

These people must really think that heaven is about as populated as the gym on a Friday night.

I fondly remember lurking during that whole debacle. It was my introduction to the Maxwell's insanity. Fun times :lol:

I have to agree I think the one in the glasses is Jesse. He is the only young one I have been wearing them.

I thought frumpers were the kind of thing the Maxwells and Duggars used to wear- what we in England call "pinafore dresses", but longer, shapeless and ugly as fuck. Do correct me if I'm wrong though!

I agree with you. My avatar is a glorious example of frumperiffic fashion.

As for the weather in Kansas on the 4th of July, I think it was best described as "hot AF." And humid, because we've had a ton of rain. The Maxwells are a ways north of me, but not so far as to be in an entirely different climate. I wore a strapless dress and wished I could have worn less until the sun went all the way down.

I fondly remember lurking during that whole debacle. It was my introduction to the Maxwell's insanity. Fun times :lol:

Oh yes, it was indeed fun times. I will never forget how my jaw dropped seeing the thread announcing she had cancelled the wedding. I would totally love to know the details on how it all went down in Maxhell but then again some things are better imagined than described.

And so far that's the last engagement announcement we've ever had from the Maxwells, as we didn't know about Elissa 'til after the wedding.

I wonder if we'll hear about any future engagements? It would be shitty if they kept a Sarah engagement a secret (hey, a Sarah engagement could still happen!) after blog readers have prayed for a husband for her for a number of years.

Anything old fashioned, that hides the shape of the female form (even a child's), and/or is baggy is a frumper.

And the Duggars definitely used to where that style quite a bit before they got famous.

I think Ruthanne's little sailor dress is cute. But it wouldn't be cute if she had a 12-year-old sister and a 15-year-old sister wearing the exact same thing.

And so far that's the last engagement announcement we've ever had from the Maxwells, as we didn't know about Elissa 'til after the wedding.

I wonder if we'll hear about any future engagements? It would be shitty if they kept a Sarah engagement a secret (hey, a Sarah engagement could still happen!) after blog readers have prayed for a husband for her for a number of years.

>>>>>><>>

We are all praying

After the Munck's courtship failure - which some could think we stopped - Stevie will never post another courtship on tits2.

I'm still waiting to find out which country my namesake visited.

>>>>>><>>

We are all praying

After the Munck's courtship failure - which some could think we stopped - Stevie will never post another courtship on tits2.

I'm still waiting to find out which country my namesake visited.

Sadly, I don't believe marriage has ever been a possibility for Sarah. The Maxwells became my gateway fundie family after stumbling across their website 7-8 years ago. At that time Sarah's blurb on their biography page stated she had decided to remain permanently at home, unmarried, to better serve her parents. I thought it an odd statement because I couldn't believe her parents would actually accept that kind of a sacrifice from a young twenty-something. I believe it now, and it makes me so incredibly sad.

Pretty photos of John. .pretty pictures of JOHN happy dance kph keep logging on hoping to find his next rebellious mission thanks sarah keep John In that view finder

Sadly, I don't believe marriage has ever been a possibility for Sarah. The Maxwells became my gateway fundie family after stumbling across their website 7-8 years ago. At that time Sarah's blurb on their biography page stated she had decided to remain permanently at home, unmarried, to better serve her parents. I thought it an odd statement because I couldn't believe her parents would actually accept that kind of a sacrifice from a young twenty-something. I believe it now, and it makes me so incredibly sad.

The Maxwells were my gateway fundies too.

I have never seen the blurb you are talking about on Sarah's bio page.

In fact on her 30th birthday post she mentioned that so far marriage did not seem to be in God's plans for her, but that she knows he could change that if he so chose. That post was just recently quoted here. Sounds like she still thinks it's a possibility, at least publicly.

If you know something different please post it. I'd like to see it.

I think the bibs are less to keep clothes clean (these are the people who pour cement and plant trees, after all; they must be ok with clothes getting dirty) and more as a food-saving approach -- you know, when the kiddo drops a piece of food without a scooper-bib, it's gone -- but with one, they can just reach down and pluck it out and eat it! Just think of all the pennies saved!

Side note: I'm not a parent, but at what age are grapes no longer a choking hazard? I think that's what I see on one of the little girls' plates, isn't it?

About 10 years ago a 3 year old girl in my area died at the hospital after she choked on a grape. After hearing that story I have been super paranoid with grapes when my kids eat them and cut them, sometimes in fours, sometimes in halves, depending on how big the grape is. This also depends on the age of the child. I'm not cutting my 9 year old's grapes. [emoji6]

I know, I'm a paranoid nut job, but I could never get that story out of my head.

About 10 years ago a 3 year old girl in my area died at the hospital after she choked on a grape. After hearing that story I have been super paranoid with grapes when my kids eat them and cut them, sometimes in fours, sometimes in halves, depending on how big the grape is. This also depends on the age of the child. I'm not cutting my 9 year old's grapes. [emoji6]

I know, I'm a paranoid nut job, but I could never get that story out of my head.

I was the same when mine were little. I cut everything, grapes, hot dogs, etc. I also would not let them have ice unless there was a lid on the cup. Can you say helicopter parent? Lol

The Maxwells were my gateway fundies too.

I have never seen the blurb you are talking about on Sarah's bio page.

In fact on her 30th birthday post she mentioned that so far marriage did not seem to be in God's plans for her, but that she knows he could change that if he so chose. That post was just recently quoted here. Sounds like she still thinks it's a possibility, at least publicly.

If you know something different please post it. I'd like to see it.

Add me to the list of folks for whom the Maxwells were gateway fundies.

To the bolded: I don't recall seeing this either, but I don't usually check the bio page. The last time I recall reading the bio page, circa 2010, Sarah's entry said something to the effect of "she would like to be a wife and mother if that is what the Lord has planned for her life". Granted, I don't know what that actually means in Maxwell-speak. :confusion-shrug:

I was the same when mine were little. I cut everything, grapes, hot dogs, etc. I also would not let them have ice unless there was a lid on the cup. Can you say helicopter parent? Lol

I've never heard the ice one, what's wrong with ice in a cup? :think:

Add me to the list of folks for whom the Maxwells were gateway fundies.

To the bolded: I don't recall seeing this either, but I don't usually check the bio page. The last time I recall reading the bio page, circa 2010, Sarah's entry said something to the effect of "she would like to be a wife and mother if that is what the Lord has planned for her life". Granted, I don't know what that actually means in Maxwell-speak. :confusion-shrug:

Steveovah and Teri raised Sarah with the idea that she would be a wife and mother. That's the only appropriate role they see for a woman and they probably raised her honestly expecting that would happen. However, the reality of her being a wife and mother is obviously a different thing. Because that means letting her go out from under their roof and their control, letting another man be in charge of their daughter. By the time Sarah was old enough for marriage, Steveovah had gone too far down the rabbithole and his need for total control had consumed him entirely. He needs total control of his children even when they are out of his home, and he wants to be absolutely sure that Sarah will marry a guy that meets his completely impossible and contradictory standards. He needs to control every aspect and that is why Sarah stays home, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Sarah is attractive and appears to be a sweet person. There has to have been guys interested in her but it's obvious that none of them have made it past Steve. The sad thing is that their fundie circle, most guys her age are already married with families, there's not many prospects out there now. Many here at FJ mention how the light has gone out of her eyes. I can't speak to it myself but I would not be surprised that Sarah has struggled with watching prospective suitors move on with their lives. She's got to have liked someone at some point and known that there was somebody interested in her only to get chased off. And here she is.

I've never heard the ice one, what's wrong with ice in a cup? :think:

When my nephew was 3 he tipped his up really high and an ice cube went straight to the back of his throat. He started choking and it scared us all to no limit. That always stuck in my mind when I was giving my kids drinks when they were toddlers.

Archived