IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

That whole thing wreaks of fuckery. If this fake person can make their voice sound different, I have no problem believing this whole thing is just a money scam for the tabloids. She's trying to create a scandal where there isn't one to cash in. I'm not buying it.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to those and was really confused. It both does and does not sound like Meri. I thought perhaps she had combined words from episodes to get the text she wanted, and filled in with an imitation where she couldn't.

Has anyone else been following this story? It's just bizarre. This site seems to have most of the information: http://allaboutthetea.com/category/real ... ter-wives/

(All the other general Sister Wives threads are archived, so I started a new one.)

I know Meri was going to have an affair and that's not okay if the other four people in the marriage didn't consent, but I've got to say I do feel really bad for her. It's got to be awful to learn that someone you fell in love with doesn't exist, and this whole thing has got to be incredibly embarrassing for her.

Holy shit, what?!

Honestly, anyone who would do this to someone as obviously vulnerable and emotionally raw as Meri is a fucking tool.

I only kinda-sorta followed the whole Meri-being-catfished scandal, because I blew it off as probably untrue. Then I heard those voicemails. That, in addition to her total disinterested during the couch segments in recent episodes, has convinced me that is might be true to a certain degree.

I definitely feel sorry for Meri. She undoubtedly feels trapped in that marriage both due to financial and social circumstances. Has anyone in the Brown family given an official response to this yet?

What is "catfished?"

I had to look it up too.

Catfish, verb: lure (someone) into a relationship by adopting a fictional online persona.

I had to look it up too.

Catfish, verb: lure (someone) into a relationship by adopting a fictional online persona.

Catfishing is also used to mean more generally any misrepresentation of yourself online, frequently, but not always, for romantic or financial gain.

People will refer to being "catfished", for example, if someone uses old and seriously outdated photos of themselves in dating profiles because they are knowingly misrepresenting their appearance. Or if they fail to mention a marriage or children, therefore misrepresenting (possibly only by omission) their life. Or if they claim to have an interest in something they no longer have an interest/participate in.

There are women who claim to be pregnant and in trouble in order to catfish prospective adoptive parents. People can be really terrible sometimes.

Has anyone else been following this story? It's just bizarre. This site seems to have most of the information: http://allaboutthetea.com/category/real ... ter-wives/

(All the other general Sister Wives threads are archived, so I started a new one.)

I know Meri was going to have an affair and that's not okay if the other four people in the marriage didn't consent, but I've got to say I do feel really bad for her. It's got to be awful to learn that someone you fell in love with doesn't exist, and this whole thing has got to be incredibly embarrassing for her.

The whole thing just strikes me as sad. She didn't have a physical affair but she definitely had an emotional affair. I personally find emotional affairs to be about a million times more hurtful than physical affairs, but that's neither here nor there because this isn't me or my life.

But, and to me this is the big BUT: Meri was essentially shoved out of her own marriage so that her husband could be with another woman -- but Meri is supposed to be totes okay with that because Sobbin is also a wife. Meri probably felt alone, humiliated, hurt and desperate. I can see how she ended up getting involved with someone else. And I feel for her because I can't imagine Kody is going to be terribly understanding (to say nothing of the other wives). She cheated, she did wrong and she's going to pay the price, whatever that may be. I just wish for her sake she could get out entirely, but I don't see that happening.

The whole thing just strikes me as sad. She didn't have a physical affair but she definitely had an emotional affair. I personally find emotional affairs to be about a million times more hurtful than physical affairs, but that's neither here nor there because this isn't me or my life.

But, and to me this is the big BUT: Meri was essentially shoved out of her own marriage so that her husband could be with another woman -- but Meri is supposed to be totes okay with that because Sobbin is also a wife. Meri probably felt alone, humiliated, hurt and desperate. I can see how she ended up getting involved with someone else. And I feel for her because I can't imagine Kody is going to be terribly understanding (to say nothing of the other wives). She cheated, she did wrong and she's going to pay the price, whatever that may be. I just wish for her sake she could get out entirely, but I don't see that happening.

Yep, I agree with you. I don't think Meri's actions can be excused per se, but I can understand why she did what she did. The whole legal divorce/legal remarriage business really took away from Meri the only power card she had left- her status as the sole legal wife. I can only speculate that she gets less attention from Kody because she no longer has children at home who need and want to spend time with him. Its no surprise that she'd respond positively to someone offering her all of the things she's missing: being the sole object of a man's love, affection, and attention. But she's been beat down over the years from expressing her desire for those things because they've been deemed "selfish" while all of the misery caused by polygamy is touted as "smoothing out the rough edges." It seems like polygamy hasn't smoothed out any rough edges. If anything, it has made them sharper.

If anyone is curious about the phenomenon of catfishing, check out the MTV show Catfished. It's actually quite good, even though it is on MTV!

One thing to remember about catfishers is that they are often, knowingly or not, predators. They seek out people who are weak, vulnerable, naive, or desperate and seek to exploit that for their own gain. Repeat offenders (like this woman or Razing Ruth) are usually pretty good at what they do.

The person behind Ruth knew how to create a sob story. She knew how to inspire pity. She found a community people who were desperate for hope, to believe that children could escape fundamentalism, and truly wanted to help them do that. She exploited that for her own gain by creating the story we all WANTED to hear. Because that's what catfishers are good at: telling you what you want to hear so that they can get what they want.

Meri's catfisher identified a woman going through a crisis. A woman desperate to believe that she was worthy of inspiring love and affection. A woman who needed to feel valued as she had just been discarded. Meri's catfisher came in and started telling Meri what she so desperately wanted and needed to hear. Meri's catfisher used the troubles in Meri's life to manipulate her into doing things she otherwise may never have done. Meri was lied to over and over by someone she trusted.

Catfishing is a new thing, but it's important to recognize that while the catfished are often in morally questionable situations, they are usually victims being preyed upon by a skilled emotional manipulator. Meri was in a bad situation. She was discarded by her husband for a younger and what he saw as a prettier woman, but not able to start over and live her own life because of the polygamy. But now, she's in a worse situation. She was betrayed by someone she trusted, made to feel like a fool, lied to, and all of her raw humiliation is now playing out in the public eye.

I can't feel anything but pity for her.

Catfishing is a new thing, but it's important to recognize that while the catfished are often in morally questionable situations, they are usually victims being preyed upon by a skilled emotional manipulator.
People lying about themselves and being emotionally manipulative is nothing new though. The internet just makes it a bit easier.

I have been following this story and awaiting response from TLC or the Browns. Those voicemails...it's definitely Meri's voice. I feel sorry for her, yet I hope she is still going to leave Kody. She deserves happiness and the Kody three ring circus is not it.

Edited to Add: There is an odd element to this story. As if the story is not odd enough, according to what I have been reading, Robyn's friend Kendra is somehow rumored to be involved. I don't follow Twitter but apparently Kendra is a friend of Robyn and defends Robyn frequently on the Twitter (as my mom would say) and she (Kendra) has claimed that this Sam person is real and that she has skyped with him. :evil-eye: It gets confusing. To say the least.

I was following this for awhile but got disinterested because the whole Robyn/Kendra situation became so confusing. I think the family is in cover-up mode (rightly so!) and I was sort of done.

Was Kendra an actual friend or just an online leghumper? At any rate, it seems that the Browns have now cut off contact with her.

I was looking at Robyn's twitter recently and someone asked Robyn if she knew Kendra and Robyn replied that yes, they are good friends and know each other. And now I can't find it :shrug: I have no clue what's real anymore. :lol:

I've been following this story for the last couple months, and it just gets more confusing. The sources are always sort of strange and vague (because no mainstream, credible news site seems to care much about the Sister Wives bunch anymore) I haven't been sure what was actually true. At first the rumors were that she was leaving the family for this guy, and now it turns out she's been catfished?

I highly doubt that TLC would actually include it in this season of SW, but dog knows it would be more interesting than the divorce/wedding/baby nonsense that we know is going to be included.

I just cannot believe that voicemail. That is definitely her voice. She has some very distinct vocal mannerisms. I wonder what kind of discussions are going on in the Brown homes these last couple weeks. Can anyone make out what she's saying in the first five seconds or so of the recording? I can't quite understand it.

ETA: Omg. I just realized there is more than one voicemail. I was originally referring to the one that was included with this article: allaboutthetea.com/2015/09/28/meri-browns-catfish-lover-release-scandalous-voicemail-new-pics/

I've always been sympathetic to Meri, who lives in a culture that celebrates fecundity (when she had trouble conceiving her one and only child), who seems to have been in love with Kody and it seemed like she was willing to put aside her own desires to be in a monogamous relationship in order to keep him (I base this on her jealousy based treatment of Janelle, when they got along pre marriage -- similar to the pattern with Robyn, now that I think about it.) It also seems like she historically got less, since she fought so much to get the same as the other women (sometimes I agreed with Meri's point -- she shouldn't have to live in a two bedroom house because of infertility when the others got McMansions [especially since the builder did not have small floor plans, so she would have had to live in a different neighborhood entirely], although the food budget should have been slip per person, not per household.) Then they open up their lives and she was the one everyone loved to hate because of a stupid wetbar and french doors (I hate sliding glass doors, too.) So, if she's on the internet she knows assholes everywhere are calling her ugly and fat and are picking apart a soundbite or two that TLC played over and over again in order to create and entire selfish persona, which is in turn torn apart.

(FWIW, As a childless woman, I know how much it hurts to "deserve" less because you don't have children, etc., especially in terms of family inheritance.)

Idle speculation bus :auto-mysterymachine: , but I also wonder if Robyn was brought on for the sake of getting the show and it bit all of the original wives in the ass.

Now she's divorced and lost all legal claims to anything Brown. I have only sympathy for her.

To add this alleged catfish episode...well, I can only hope that it leads to her leaving the family and finding true happiness, either by herself or with someone who can actually value her. Hell, I hope it leads to that for all three of the original Brown wives, with Kody and Robyn left with a financial mess to clean up.

To add this alleged catfish episode...well, I can only hope that it leads to her leaving the family and finding true happiness, either by herself or with someone who can actually value her. Hell, I hope it leads to that for all three of the original Brown wives, with Kody and Robyn left with a financial mess to clean up.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

My Christmas wish for the Brown family.

Wow, seems I have missed a lot not having cable for a couple of years. Last I saw was when the new houses were being built. Are there threads somewhere on FJ where I can catch up? :o

I only know a bit about this family - mostly from what I see here.

I know Meri doesn't exactly have a lot of fans on here. But I feel for her a great deal if this turns out to be true. To think you've finally found a chance at real happiness and it turns out the person is playing you. . .

I only know a bit about this family - mostly from what I see here.

I know Meri doesn't exactly have a lot of fans on here. But I feel for her a great deal if this turns out to be true. To think you've finally found a chance at real happiness and it turns out the person is playing you. . .

....AND strangers can read all about it AND can listen to your private voicemails! I can't imagine!!!11!!

Catfishing is also used to mean more generally any misrepresentation of yourself online, frequently, but not always, for romantic or financial gain.

People will refer to being "catfished", for example, if someone uses old and seriously outdated photos of themselves in dating profiles because they are knowingly misrepresenting their appearance. Or if they fail to mention a marriage or children, therefore misrepresenting (possibly only by omission) their life. Or if they claim to have an interest in something they no longer have an interest/participate in.

There are women who claim to be pregnant and in trouble in order to catfish prospective adoptive parents. People can be really terrible sometimes.

I used to work with someone who had this last thing happen. They thought they were doing a direct adoption, and they paid doctor bills, provided financial support for the mother, etc... Turns out the birth mother actually was pregnant, but she was a surrogate for someone else and was basically getting paid by two families. It was horrible for my co-worker's family.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived