IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

@Pretzel, somehow Meri met a guy named Sam Cooper online and became friends and fell in love. They texted, talked on the phone, but never met in real life. Then it was revealed that Sam is a woman named Jackie Overton. Now Jackie is still pretending to be Sam Cooper through her Not Batman Yet blog but no one believes her. She is hanging onto the Sam story to try to prove...something? Her motive is unclear but she is desperate to be seen as Sam Cooper the savvy busines man who wooed Meri Brown and not as Jackie Overton, some random lady. 

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is just so messed up. I feel for Meri. Actually, I would have granted her the timeout from the Cult-de-Sac compound, had this Sam been real. So sorry to hear Meri has been screwed over in such a distasteful way and now has to face the consequences of trusting someone she thought she could trust. 

I just hope the Sister Wives and Kodouche will keep cool and support Meri and include her in the family goings-on more if that is what she wants, or just accept if she wants some space. 

Meri is my least favorite sister wive but she has my sympathy this time. 

The way the ep was done was so weird to me. Meri was telling the story in a talking head with scenes of the adults sitting at the restaurant, mostly silent. She never actually said anything about the situation at the restaurant.

The way the ep was done was so weird to me. Meri was telling the story in a talking head with scenes of the adults sitting at the restaurant, mostly silent. She never actually said anything about the situation at the restaurant.

Exactly. At the restaurant, she just seemed stressed about a mysterious something and said things along the lines of "I don't know what I want. I might just be gone one day." I believe TLC is trying to edit this to show that Meri came clean about the catfish to the family in Alaska but I don't think that is what really happened. Regardless of when it was revealed, they ALL know about it now. I guess the interesting part is how they all go forward.

Also, I really could've done without Robyn's vomiting sounds.

Dayton's concern for her was so sweet. He's a good kid. 

Dayton's concern for her was so sweet. He's a good kid. 

It was sweet. But my H was sitting on the couch when it happened and I turned to him and said "If I'm vomiting, DO NOT stand by the door and listen to me!"

@Pretzel, somehow Meri met a guy named Sam Cooper online and became friends and fell in love. They texted, talked on the phone, but never met in real life. Then it was revealed that Sam is a woman named Jackie Overton. Now Jackie is still pretending to be Sam Cooper through her Not Batman Yet blog but no one believes her. She is hanging onto the Sam story to try to prove...something? Her motive is unclear but she is desperate to be seen as Sam Cooper the savvy busines man who wooed Meri Brown and not as Jackie Overton, some random lady. 

There could be other women he/she is catfishing and he/she's trying to keep up the facade for them. With someone this canny, I doubt that Meri is the only victim.

I was surprised that the wives were being so supportive of her at that dinner but then I realized-- they didn't know exactly what was going on? Is that right? The timing was strange and Meri was being really vague about it. Kody's talking head where he was like, "I guess she's saying that... I think she means that... I'm not sure exactly what she means but..." gave me a big eye roll. How surprising was this revelation to you, Kody? Do you REALLY not understand what Meri is trying to convey here? 

If Kody was alluding to Sam on twitter, this couldn't have been that big of a surprise, is it?! Was he just giving Meri a hard time about befriending a dude on the internet or did he know there was something more going on? What is the real story here!!  :lost:

It was sweet. But my H was sitting on the couch when it happened and I turned to him and said "If I'm vomiting, DO NOT stand by the door and listen to me!"

Haha, I know! I had horrible morning sickness when pregnant -- the whole time I was pregnant. I threw up on the light rail once ... during morning rush hour. I thought that was bad enough -- but then during labor, my husband had to hold the basin for me. I really wanted to die. Yes, there I am, being induced, dealing with gut-wrenching pain, hooked up to all sorts of IV drugs to keep my body stabilized (pre-eclampsia is a bitch), still nauseated with morning sickness, etc. ... and I was mortified because my husband was seeing me throw up. 

I have my priorities totally straight, y'all. 

I actually appreciated Robyn's concern that Kody and Janelle were jumping at the chance to get Maddie married off young.  She also called out the hypocrisy that they pussyfoot around Logan's relationship- not wanting to pressure or rock the boat, etc.  

I think that Kody and Janelle like Caleb because he and his family know about the Brown's way of life.  I am not so sure they would have been so welcoming if Maddie was moving so fast with someone that wasn't already known to them.  To me- it seems like the old double standard that if a son wants to play the field and take his time that's just fine.  Then with a daughter they are thrilled for her to move quickly because they don't want her to give up, "her most precious gift for her husband" :puke-left: and then the relationship not work out.  

The Brown's may encourage all their daughters getting an education, but they still believe in a very patriarchal way of life.  

Plus, the Browns know Caleb from the past, he is part of the family, so they probably feel more comfortable giving this relationship the green light. 

Well.... it went down the way "Sam" said it would.  They didn't include as much detail in the dinner scene, but she didn't mention any details and no, the wives, nor Kody, clearly knew WTF she was talking about other than needing some time on her own.  The interviews were added later (presumably after Sept 6 or 7) in order to explain the media reports.  This was AFTER the season had already started and I maintain that they had to change the direction of the season's storyline mid-season because of this - I think early on they made Meri's "mystery medical illness" more of an "emotional" issue in order to trump it up as the cat fishing scandal.  They never really gave us much resolution to her medical problem, catfish said it was just H.pylori.  

"Sam's" Wall-o-Text was really just too much.  But, I am sad to say that I did read it all.  Next time, "Sam" needs to work on not writing like a love struck preteen.  You're trying too hard there, Jackie....  

I feel bad for Meri if even half of the "insider information" that Sam* posted is true.  It sounds like she shared a lot of deeply personal feelings and resentments and to have that spread all over the internet would be horrifying for me.  The information in the rants will probably damage Meri's relationships with Kody, her sister wives and all the kids in the family.  

I feel bad for Meri if even half of the "insider information" that Sam* posted is true.  It sounds like she shared a lot of deeply personal feelings and resentments and to have that spread all over the internet would be horrifying for me.  The information in the rants will probably damage Meri's relationships with Kody, her sister wives and all the kids in the family.  

I can't see any way for this to help Meri's position in the family.  Their tweets were clearly coordinated to protect the brand, which is to be expected. But I don't think that there is any way that Kody can ever forgive or forget.  His bizarre reaction at the dinner -- so detached and so surprised.  I don't think he's capable of seeing beyond his own dick, despite his protests that everything he does is for the family.  He didn't seem to know that Meri had been struggling, while the wives could at least acknowledge that she'd been unhappy.  

The kids will all have their own responses, too.  Mariah is the only one who openly wants a polygamous lifestyle as an adult; I'm sure she will see this as a betrayal to the family.  The reaction from the boys will be interesting, as well. 

Meri was raised in polygamy and spent years as first wife.  The move to Las Vegas and the family upheaval seem to have left her adrift, but also shown her more of the world and other options.  I don't think she'll leave on her own, though.  I think she has some dependency issues, which lead to her hoping for a fantasy prince to ride in and sweep her away, consequence-free.  Instead of a prince, she got that weird frog who continues to croak online.

Next week should (I hope!) be interesting. Wonder if we'll actually get an emotion from Kody.

OK, K'douche's Batman tweet was June 28th. I think that's when he knew. Not breaking link because Twitter:

OK, K'douche's Batman tweet was June 28th. I think that's when he knew. Not breaking link because Twitter:

HOWEVER, I don't think any of them dreamt of JACKIE being Sam. That was a shock for everyone.

I feel so sorry for Merri. It must have felt wonderful for her to have felt loved and special even if she knew deep inside that something was wrong. I even feel sorry for Jackie. It would suck to be that mentally ill and lonely. 

Does Jackie have any known employment history? It sounds like she has never gone as far as to scam people for funds. 

She has scammed ppl for funds. I'm on mobile so I don't have links, but several previous victims attest to sending her money for XYZ reason only to never see it again or receive any return.

I also thought Robyn's reaction to the engagement was weird....she wasn't around when Maddie was younger so it felt like the weird stepmother commenting rather than a "concerned parent".

I'm almost embarrassed of how excited I am for this tell all. I know TLC usually drops the ball on these things and it's usually just a rehash of things we already know but maybe we'll at least get an idea if Meri is leaving or not.

I have such empathy for Merin (and Christine and Janelle) living in this situation. I finally got a chance to sit down and watch Sunday'sepisode and it made me hate Kody even more. He said something to the effect of did I do some thing to cause this and I wanted to reach through the tv and box his ears. Yes you narcissistic douche canoe you are the reason your wives are seeking out companionship  from other people and taking antidepressants. So freakin clueless.

I often wonder if men like Kody and JB are drawn to patriarchal culty religions because it strokes their ego or if because their ego is being stroked it just exacerbates the already negative qualities. Either way Kody (and "Sam") needs to be branded with a hot poker to the butthole. 

I'm almost embarrassed of how excited I am for this tell all. I know TLC usually drops the ball on these things and it's usually just a rehash of things we already know but maybe we'll at least get an idea if Meri is leaving or not.

No need to be embarrassed. This is a safe place. We all understand the excitement. :popcorn:

I have such empathy for Merin (and Christine and Janelle) living in this situation. I finally got a chance to sit down and watch Sunday'sepisode and it made me hate Kody even more. He said something to the effect of did I do some thing to cause this and I wanted to reach through the tv and box his ears. Yes you narcissistic douche canoe you are the reason your wives are seeking out companionship  from other people and taking antidepressants. So freakin clueless.

I often wonder if men like Kody and JB are drawn to patriarchal culty religions because it strokes their ego or if because their ego is being stroked it just exacerbates the already negative qualities. Either way Kody (and "Sam") needs to be branded with a hot poker to the butthole. 

Silver lining - at least he didn't outright blame her or assume he did nothing at all to cause it all?

I know. I'm really reaching. :pb_lol:

Because, at that point, Meri and "Sam" were still together. On the blog in the wall of text (which has actually been broken up into paragraphs now! Albeit, rather large paragraphs, but still), it was said that the plan was to come back to Utah and move Meri into "Sam's" house, 5 minutes from where he lived and a mile or so from the cul-de-sac. Then they would figure out what she was going to do. They didn't break up until sometime in mid-to-late August IIRC. Then, according to "Sam" (but how would "he" know this if they had stopped talking, unless Kendra told him), she told Robyn about what had happened sometime in the early days of September.

The whole Kendra aspect of this is odd, too. I don't really get her role in all of this, and it seems like her role - as told by "Sam" - was constantly changing. They hated each other. They were at war. "Lindsay" threatened Kendra's Facebook group. Kendra threatened "Lindsay". Then Kendra and "Sam" were friendly and Skyping and Kendra said that "he" was real and then she turned around and said "he" wasn't. I was so confused.

At least we know Kendra is real. She may have problems, but at least we know she's a real person that's been featured on Sister Wives.

Because, at that point, Meri and "Sam" were still together. On the blog in the wall of text (which has actually been broken up into paragraphs now! Albeit, rather large paragraphs, but still), it was said that the plan was to come back to Utah and move Meri into "Sam's" house, 5 minutes from where he lived and a mile or so from the cul-de-sac. Then they would figure out what she was going to do. They didn't break up until sometime in mid-to-late August IIRC. Then, according to "Sam" (but how would "he" know this if they had stopped talking, unless Kendra told him), she told Robyn about what had happened sometime in the early days of September.

The whole Kendra aspect of this is odd, too. I don't really get her role in all of this, and it seems like her role - as told by "Sam" - was constantly changing. They hated each other. They were at war. "Lindsay" threatened Kendra's Facebook group. Kendra threatened "Lindsay". Then Kendra and "Sam" were friendly and Skyping and Kendra said that "he" was real and then she turned around and said "he" wasn't. I was so confused.

At least we know Kendra is real. She may have problems, but at least we know she's a real person that's been featured on Sister Wives.

Wait, is Kendra the realtor?!

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived