IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

Another thing that occurs to me while watching these shows about large families, and I"m sure it's been mentioned in these threads before, is that there's bound to be at least one kid in each family who's LGBTQ, and dealing with that when you're born into a religion like this is... Impossible? At least I feel that Kody's families are more likely to be accepting than, say, the Duggars, but I can't imagine being in that child's shoes.

The Browns addressed this question during one of their talkfests and maintained that they would accept such a child for who they are. They are accepting Maddy getting baptized in the Mormon church, so maybe they are sincere.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Browns addressed this question during one of their talkfests and maintained that they would accept such a child for who they are. They are accepting Maddy getting baptized in the Mormon church, so maybe they are sincere.

Maddy actually didn't get baptized LDS, according to her twitter.

After being rejected from the LDS church because the public association with my family was too much controversy for the Mormon Church. Caleb and I finally after 2 years started dating... I would say God had a plan in that. Caleb is a devout Christian and we are not a part, nor will we be, of the LDS (Mormon) church.

If she means non-Mormon Christian (as opposed to staying in her family's religious tradition) then that's a much bigger change than LDS.

What is with this All About the Tea website and why are they reporting on this story so diligently? It seems like no other site is bothering with the story besides them.

I think because firstly, its a pretty tawdry story and mostly speculation (though the voicemails make the story have more credence). Secondly, its a pretty convoluted story. I had trouble understanding it when I first read an article or two, and had to go back and read the whole backstory.

I think it was Janelle who actually did say that with so many kids in the family at least one of them will probably be LGBT. I don't think it's easy to be gay in any very religious family, but I don't think a Brown kid would have it any harder than your average kid from a conservative family, and it definitely wouldn't be nearly as bad as being a Duggar and LGBT.

I'm not up on this show or these folks, but -- if someone recognizes that "with so many kids in the family at least one of them will probably be LGBT" -- doesn't that show a recognition that being LGBT isn't something that can be chosen? Why would anyone who recognizes that still have any problem with it?

I just assumed that anyone who is anti-LGBT has as the basis of their opinion the belief that one's orientation or gender disparity is chosen, so this seems baffling to me.

I am still confused about Kendra. Is she a friend? I'm gathering she isn't anymore! It seems like she may be in on the whole scheme and may have befriended Robyn in order to substantiate the whole story.

When did Kendra come into the picture? I haven't followed these folks online until recently.

I'm not up on this show or these folks, but -- if someone recognizes that "with so many kids in the family at least one of them will probably be LGBT" -- doesn't that show a recognition that being LGBT isn't something that can be chosen? Why would anyone who recognizes that still have any problem with it?

I just assumed that anyone who is anti-LGBT has as the basis of their opinion the belief that one's orientation or gender disparity is chosen, so this seems baffling to me.

It's pretty common now for people to accept that same-sex attraction isn't chosen, but think that the choice to act on those feelings is what is sinful. I don't know how the Browns feel about that, but that's what a lot of Mormons believe, and is what my (non-Mormon) parents believe as well.

I was glad to see that they acknowledge that one of their kids could be LGBT, since my parents' response to the idea of having an LGBT kid was just "God wouldn't let that happen to us."

Who is this Kendra BFF of Robyn's? Any chance that she, too, could be one of Jackie's characters who is catfishing Robyn? Have Robyn and Kendra ever met in real life?

It's pretty common now for people to accept that same-sex attraction isn't chosen, but think that the choice to act on those feelings is what is sinful. I don't know how the Browns feel about that, but that's what a lot of Mormons believe, and is what my (non-Mormon) parents believe as well.

I was glad to see that they acknowledge that one of their kids could be LGBT, since my parents' response to the idea of having an LGBT kid was just "God wouldn't let that happen to us."

If you want a horrible example of this type of mentality, look at the LDS church's "voices of hope" videos on YouTube. But be warned, its pretty upsetting. :(

Edited for clarity

For those asking about Kendra:

Kendra is supposedly a very close personal friend of Robyn's. She has been around for a LOOOOOONNNNNG time (well before this began), sharing "insider information" and clarifying things on a FB group about the show. I'm on some cold meds so I'm fuzzy, but I am almost entirely sure that Robyn, on her verified accounts, has confirmed she knows Kendra. While it is possible that Kendra is a catfish, it's unlikely given the fact that she has been around for a while and seems to know Robyn irl.

So why is she caught up in this?

Kendra claimed to know Sam. Has claimed to have skyped with him and Jackie/Lindsey (at the same time). Has claimed to have been told a lot of he details of the "affair" and received copies of various forms of "proof" from Sam.

Many of these claims came before "Sam" was outed as a catfish. So the real question is what her game is, why she is still defending "Sam", why she told all the lies to begin with and why she is still supporting him, and if perhaps she is acting on Robyn's behest? Kendra has never claimed to be close to Meri. Only Robyn. So how did she get in contact with Sam or know about the "affair" to begin with?

I'm on cold meds, so someone please correct me if anything here is incorrect.

For those asking about Kendra:

Kendra is supposedly a very close personal friend of Robyn's. She has been around for a LOOOOOONNNNNG time (well before this began), sharing "insider information" and clarifying things on a FB group about the show. I'm on some cold meds so I'm fuzzy, but I am almost entirely sure that Robyn, on her verified accounts, has confirmed she knows Kendra. While it is possible that Kendra is a catfish, it's unlikely given the fact that she has been around for a while and seems to know Robyn irl.

So why is she caught up in this?

Kendra claimed to know Sam. Has claimed to have skyped with him and Jackie/Lindsey (at the same time). Has claimed to have been told a lot of he details of the "affair" and received copies of various forms of "proof" from Sam.

Many of these claims came before "Sam" was outed as a catfish. So the real question is what her game is, why she is still defending "Sam", why she told all the lies to begin with and why she is still supporting him, and if perhaps she is acting on Robyn's behest? Kendra has never claimed to be close to Meri. Only Robyn. So how did she get in contact with Sam or know about the "affair" to begin with?

I'm on cold meds, so someone please correct me if anything here is incorrect.

Kendra says she was on the trip they took to San Francisco dress shopping. She supposedly can be seen in part of the episode. That was the same episode Truly got sick in so I wasn't paying much attention to the women shopping.

Kendra says she was on the trip they took to San Francisco dress shopping. She supposedly can be seen in part of the episode. That was the same episode Truly got sick in so I wasn't paying much attention to the women shopping.

Kendra seems like a really good candidate for the original catfish. There is no real logical explanation for all of this. If she is a good friend of Robyn's, she not be seeking to "help" Sam out the story about the "affair," especially given Robyn's complete devotion to Meri on social media of late. They seem to want to present a united front. Unless Kendra and Robyn have had a major falling out. It seems like this particular catfish has been swimming awhile and would know how to prepare a good swimmin' hole for herself -- so it certainly would not surprise me if Kendra showed up months before Sam, et. al., to prepare the nest.

It's all so nuts! Do you think the Browns or TLC will address any of this?

Maddy actually didn't get baptized LDS, according to her twitter.

If she means non-Mormon Christian (as opposed to staying in her family's religious tradition) then that's a much bigger change than LDS.

True. It was not known that Maddy would not be accepted into the LDS church when the last episode aired. I am curious what the reaction will be.

It's all so nuts! Do you think the Browns or TLC will address any of this?

I doubt that the show will address it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns made a twitter statement eventually, if the story gets enough attention. But I don't think anything will appear on the show. Which is a shame, because including this nutty tale would probably improve SW's ratings.

The latest All about the Tea article is about Kendra. It includes screencaps of when she appeared on the show, as well. She says she's not involved with any of the catfishing stuff.

This is what she said on her facebook, apparently:

NO IT IS NOT TRUE, I am not part of the Sam nonsense. Yes I spoke to a man. That is as far as any proof goes. This is hater story teller.

allaboutthetea.com/2015/10/02/sisterwives-cast-off-kendra-pollard-parra-teams-with-meri-browns-catfish-lover-on-facebook-rampage/

The latest All about the Tea article is about Kendra. It includes screencaps of when she appeared on the show, as well. She says she's not involved with any of the catfishing stuff.

This is what she said on her facebook, apparently:

allaboutthetea.com/2015/10/02/sisterwives-cast-off-kendra-pollard-parra-teams-with-meri-browns-catfish-lover-on-facebook-rampage/

Yeah it sounds like maybe Kendra spoke to "Sam" at some point but never really met him. It seems like Kendra is trying to insert herself into the drama for the attention.

I hate to double post, but I feel this is a pretty significant turn in the story. Meri has released a vague statement about being catfished but doesn't explicitly admit that she fell in love with that person.

http://www.people.com/article/sister-wi ... lationship

(not breaking the link because its from People magazine)

Her quote from the article verbatim:

"During an emotional and vulnerable time earlier this year, I began speaking with someone online who turned out to be not who they said they were," Meri tells PEOPLE in an exclusive statement.

"I never met this person and I regret being drawn into this situation, but I hope because of it I can help others who find themselves in similar circumstances."

Looks like they're setting themselves up to deny everything "Sam" says.

Yep! I bet they deny that the relationship had a romantic dimension (never mind those "I love you" and "I've felt anything like this before" voicemails). Even though the article calls it an affair, she never actually admits that. I don't know if the writer of the article decided to call it an affair or if Meri herself told the author that it was an emotional affair.

Yep! I bet they deny that the relationship had a romantic dimension (never mind those "I love you" and "I've felt anything like this before" voicemails). Even though the article calls it an affair, she never actually admits that. I don't know if the writer of the article decided to call it an affair or if Meri herself told the author that it was an emotional affair.

Maybe they took a minute to work with a PR firm. They are going to have to deal with a lot of strange details...Sam seems to have kept a lot of data, but Meri was less circumspect and didn't seem to plan for the messy reveal. The next few weeks should be interesting!

I feel pretty sad for Meri. My hope is that she eventually finds a way out of polygamy and a satisfying life. She looks absolutely miserable now. I just wish she had been able to find a real man. I imagine Kody can't understand why one of his harem decided he wasn't enough for them and he is flipping his hair around extra hard now to prove he's still attractive.

Somehow I can't help thinking that Robyn is very happy about all of this and she won't be happy until she's the last wife standing (she may keep Janelle around to bring in money though).

I feel pretty sad for Meri. My hope is that she eventually finds a way out of polygamy and a satisfying life. She looks absolutely miserable now. I just wish she had been able to find a real man. I imagine Kody can't understand why one of his harem decided he wasn't enough for them and he is flipping his hair around extra hard now to prove he's still attractive.

Somehow I can't help thinking that Robyn is very happy about all of this and she won't be happy until she's the last wife standing (she may keep Janelle around to bring in money though).

I think Meri will stay married to Kody, sadly. At least as long as the show is on, she'll stay married to him to save face. Their show is trying to demonstrate that polygamy is normal and not as fucked up as everyone thinks it is. If Meri leaves Kody, it shows that polygamy is not sustainable or conducive to healthy relationships and it would undo the whole reason why they appeared on the show in the first place. So if anything, I think most people around her will encourage her to stay with Kody (with the possible exception of Jenelle, since she left Kody temporarily already... though I doubt they have many heart-to-hearts). And I'm sure Kody is laying the guilt on Meri. Its a very sad situation, I agree.

I think this is directly linked to the legal divorce. Yet again, Robyn's prerogatives have clearly caused a big rift in the family structure. I don't blame Meri for looking outside her marriage for an intimate relationship. She sure as hell isn't getting any intimacy with Kody, who is so wrapped up in Robyn that he can't see straight.

There's an article up on his/her blog (notbatmanyet.com) and (s)he's made a whole Meri tab promising to reveal more info, including over 194 voicemails. What a sicko.

Nobody saves 194 voicemails without reason. Hats so weird to me.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived