IGNORED

Jana's future

MoonFace

I know this is the minority opinion, but my guess is that most of the offspring will eventually dump their parents' beliefs and find their own way. They haven't been fully sheltered enough, and if there is any sort of silver lining to the molestation story breaking, it may be that a bright spotlight that even the kids can see has been turned on the hypocrisy of Jim Bob and Michelle. As they aren't all that close to their parents anyway, being out of the spotlight may allow them to move on and develop into the individuals they are meant to be.

i worry that without the show the kids will become super sheltered again and JB and M won't have a reason to try to appear nicey-nice and the reality of having all those kids without the benefit of a tv show will start to get to them. I think some of the younger kids haven't been a strictly "trained" as the older ones and that they will be more mouthy and rebellious and that JB and M will likely freak out and start trying to get super-strict to try to regain control. I think the show was the only way these kids got to see any of the real world or got exposed to anything not immersed in patriarchy. Despite the soft voices, I don't think JB and M are very nice people and that will come out more I think, especially as the older ones leave.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i worry that without the show the kids will become super sheltered again and JB and M won't have a reason to try to appear nicey-nice and the reality of having all those kids without the benefit of a tv show will start to get to them. I think some of the younger kids haven't been a strictly "trained" as the older ones and that they will be more mouthy and rebellious and that JB and M will likely freak out and start trying to get super-strict to try to regain control. I think the show was the only way these kids got to see any of the real world or got exposed to anything not immersed in patriarchy. Despite the soft voices, I don't think JB and M are very nice people and that will come out more I think, especially as the older ones leave.

I think that that's a very valid concern that you raise. Given how close the family is to much of the camera crew, can you imagine how rough that is on the kids? For some of them, those people were the only ones outside of their fundie circle with whom they got to associate. With that outlet gone, I agree that JB and M might become more strict (*shudder*), and I'd also add that there's got to be some amount of emotional trauma having the crew & camera ripped away from you, especially when they've been there for so much of your life. (Definitely not advocating for the show to go on, fyi. Still think it should never go on the air again.)

What are the odds? Well, I'd say that both Jill and Jessa managed to find "suitable" partners that approached the family first after seeing them on tv, so the odds don't look that low these days.

Did you miss the part where I mentioned them and called their marriages flukes? Those two got lucky. Presumably. Time will tell and personally I think the jury is still out on Ben in a major way. Personality plays into it as well. Jill's an enthusiastic nitwit who's happy with the the attention the show gets her and so wouldn't see some guy randomly contacting JB to be a prayer partner as a problem. Ben was probably the very first wierdo who contacted her family that she found attractive and who didn't ping her creepy radar. They got to know each other and she eventually fell for him.

In many families, there is the "sacrificial" child: the one who always lives at home, takes care of Mommy and Daddy in their old age, and, in this case, raises the children. IMO, Jana is it. Whether she or her parents chose this role for her remains to be seen. I think she's comfortable in the role.. as comfortable as she can be..

While I agree she's a big buffer between the kids and the parents, as in, I don't believe Jana blanket trains or paddles with a rod, I don't think that's her main reason for staying.

Did you miss the part where I mentioned them and called their marriages flukes? Those two got lucky. Presumably. Time will tell and personally I think the jury is still out on Ben in a major way. Personality plays into it as well. Jill's an enthusiastic nitwit who's happy with the the attention the show gets her and so wouldn't see some guy randomly contacting JB to be a prayer partner as a problem. Ben was probably the very first wierdo who contacted her family that she found attractive and who didn't ping her creepy radar. They got to know each other and she eventually fell for him.

No, I didn't miss it, and I still stand by my opinion. Really, there is no way to tell whether or not Jessa and Jill's marriages were "flukes." We are both merely expressing our views on the matter with no proof. I think we both stand an equal chance at being right.

No, I didn't miss it, and I still stand by my opinion. Really, there is no way to tell whether or not Jessa and Jill's marriages were "flukes." We are both merely expressing our views on the matter with no proof. I think we both stand an equal chance at being right.

O...kay? I'm not invested on being right about this, since obvious it's all speculation anyway. I just thought your response super weird since you acted as if I didn't specifically mention Jill and Jessa.

I hope she does what makes her happy. It might honestly be what she does right now, raising her brothers and sisters, not working for someone else, or going to college, or getting married. It doesn't seem like a hard life as long as she can tolerate the religion.

I hope she does what makes her happy. It might honestly be what she does right now, raising her brothers and sisters, not working for someone else, or going to college, or getting married. It doesn't seem like a hard life as long as she can tolerate the religion.

I think she's got it easier now than she would be if she got married. Between marrying and leaving, or not marrying and staying home, this might be her preference simply because it means no more babies to raise for a while.

Who knows what opportunities she has to leave. If there's no money in her name, her choices could be leave and be homeless (and cut off from the family), or stay. For an uneducated woman, there aren't as many opportunities.

I think all the feasible choices she has are probably pretty crappy, and so it's picking the least crappy of them.

If only we could clone Chad Paine for her...

If only we could clone him for me (minus the fundie wanting children part)! :wink-kitty:

In many families, there is the "sacrificial" child: the one who always lives at home, takes care of Mommy and Daddy in their old age, and, in this case, raises the children. IMO, Jana is it. Whether she or her parents chose this role for her remains to be seen. I think she's comfortable in the role.. as comfortable as she can be..

While I agree she's a big buffer between the kids and the parents, as in, I don't believe Jana blanket trains or paddles with a rod, I don't think that's her main reason for staying.

This is where I see Jana headed, too. In the normal world, 25 and unmarried is no big deal, but in the fundie world, she's probably pretty close to aging out of the first round of marriable men. These people get married in their teens, for crying out loud. Maybe she'll get married to a widower or something later. But, since she does seem to be the primary "caregiver", she's probably the one that everyone expects to stay with her parents as they age and help the others out as needed. She's already serving as a pinch-hitter babysitter for her siblings' kids, so that should keep her busy until JB and Michelle need actual care beyond maid service. And, once JB and Michelle are gone, Jana can just move in with one of her siblings and be live-in help, a la Grandma Mary.

This is where I see Jana headed, too. In the normal world, 25 and unmarried is no big deal, but in the fundie world, she's probably pretty close to aging out of the first round of marriable men. These people get married in their teens, for crying out loud. Maybe she'll get married to a widower or something later. But, since she does seem to be the primary "caregiver", she's probably the one that everyone expects to stay with her parents as they age and help the others out as needed. She's already serving as a pinch-hitter babysitter for her siblings' kids, so that should keep her busy until JB and Michelle need actual care beyond maid service. And, once JB and Michelle are gone, Jana can just move in with one of her siblings and be live-in help, a la Grandma Mary.

How many teen wedding have we witnessed? I think we've seen more fundies get married at 25(+). :shrug:

How many teen wedding have we witnessed? I think we've seen more fundies get married at 25(+). :shrug:

Well, for the Duggars, you've got Jim Bob and Michelle married at 19 and 17. Jessa married a 19-year old. Josh and Anna married at barely 20 - IIRC, Anna was 3 months past her 20th birthday - they began courting while she was 19 and he proposed on her 20th birthday. (And Josh is rumored to have been courting/engaged before that when he was in his teens.) Josiah and Marjorie are courting - She's 17; he's 18. The oldest Duggar to get married so far is Jill, who was 22 or 23. So, yeah. While not all fundies marry in their teens, folks in Duggar clan have a habit of getting married/start courting (which is pre-engagement to these people) in their teens. Jana, should she begin courting at 25, would be the exception.

I'd love for any of them to break away, but in truth the know no other way of life. They have no education to speak of and in her 20s Jana has no work experience. She may have found time to do an online degree and they just aren't using that to advantage, but I doubt it. The way out is marriage. And if they want a different life like any number of young naive brides they can hope they can change the guy and convince him to live differently, but that too is a stretch for the same reason.

Still they need something BIG and POSITIVE to get back the good press. The obvious is Josh going to treatment but that won't happen. So maybe a triple wedding or something? Jana and mystery guy, John and Mystery girl, Josiah and Marjorie and heck, why not? Joe and mystery girl and Joy and mystery guy!! Now that would get the show back on and at the top of the ratings! ha!

Still they need something BIG and POSITIVE to get back the good press. The obvious is Josh going to treatment but that won't happen. So maybe a triple wedding or something? Jana and mystery guy, John and Mystery girl, Josiah and Marjorie and heck, why not? Joe and mystery girl and Joy and mystery guy!! Now that would get the show back on and at the top of the ratings! ha!

The problem is that most people don't care if the girls get married. Jill's wedding may have had 4 million viewers but that would be cause for cancellation on a network show. The people who watched were likely those who have watched the show off and on at some point. Most people will only know them as that weird family with too many kids. I cannot see anything they could realistically due to get back on the air with episodes people care about. How do you get get people to forget the bad handling of molestation and all the other news of their unacceptable views that have since come out? In a week that has seen the confirmation of the right to gay marriage and backlash against the confederate flag, how can it be expected that people are now going to ignore the unacceptable views by people on a reality show just to see them get married?

The problem is that most people don't care if the girls get married. Jill's wedding may have had 4 million viewers but that would be cause for cancellation on a network show. The people who watched were likely those who have watched the show off and on at some point. Most people will only know them as that weird family with too many kids. I cannot see anything they could realistically due to get back on the air with episodes people care about. How do you get get people to forget the bad handling of molestation and all the other news of their unacceptable views that have since come out? In a week that has seen the confirmation of the right to gay marriage and backlash against the confederate flag, how can it be expected that people are now going to ignore the unacceptable views by people on a reality show just to see them get married?

Exactly. People are upset by the leghumpers but there aren't THAT many leghumpers, really. And more recently, they posted some anti-gay bs on Facebook and more leghumpers came out saying they were assholes. They posted about the Dillard mission whatever and leghumpers questioned why they gave no info and asked for money. There are so few people who care anymore, it's the same handful of people rushing to their (public) side to defend them at every turn. These people will be very lucky to get a "where are they now" special in 10 years. Even now, no major news/magazines are even talking about the Duggars at all since the Kelly special has cooled off.

The only question I still have is; why hasn't tlc cancelled yet?

If only we could clone him for me (minus the fundie wanting children part)! :wink-kitty:

Chad Paine appears the nicest and most patient guy dealing with the Bateses. Seriously the call the poor schlub for EVERYTHING. Like do they know how to do anything else besides chopping down trees and making babies. There seems a point in every project they depict on TV where they call Chad to come and make it right.

And he even tolerated that pink bedroom for who knows how long.

All of this likely Josh's fault now. That and Obamacare, and the SCOTUS stopping Texas from going forward with it's abortion stuff. What do you want to bet at least one person calls him the sin in the camp?

The only "breaking free" I see any of these kids doing is after YEARS of being away from their parents. It's going to be gradual. Eventually, I suspect many of the children will come up with their own belief systems. But, for now, I don't imagine that we'll see any push back. If anything, they're all huddled around their beliefs even more now that they've had time to see people's reactions to the scandal.

As for Jana's future, it's hard for me to know if she's looking for a man, if she wants out of her parents' house, if she feels obligated to stay, or if she's completely happy where she is. I hope that whatever she wants is in her future.

Well, for the Duggars, you've got Jim Bob and Michelle married at 19 and 17. Jessa married a 19-year old. Josh and Anna married at barely 20 - IIRC, Anna was 3 months past her 20th birthday - they began courting while she was 19 and he proposed on her 20th birthday. (And Josh is rumored to have been courting/engaged before that when he was in his teens.) Josiah and Marjorie are courting - She's 17; he's 18. The oldest Duggar to get married so far is Jill, who was 22 or 23. So, yeah. While not all fundies marry in their teens, folks in Duggar clan have a habit of getting married/start courting (which is pre-engagement to these people) in their teens. Jana, should she begin courting at 25, would be the exception.

JB and Michelle don't really count. They weren't FUNDIES at that point. They were bible thumping and what not, but they got married so that Michelle wouldn't move away. They then went on to use birth control for the first 4 years of their marriage.

Kelly and Gil bates got married at 22 and 21

Going out on a limb. Now that the cameras are gone (for now?) If Jana (and JD) were waiting for the spotlight to go away before courtship/marriage now would be a good time.

Kelly and Gil bates got married at 22 and 21

Zach was 25, Erin 22 and Michael is 25.

Jana will be another Sarah Maxwell

We say that about every unmarried fundie, including a 19 year old who got married two years later :lol: :?

I think Jana will be married before she turns 30

If not "easy", it's at least familiar and routine. It's what she's known for most of her life. She may just be picking the devil she knows, over the unknown devils presented by her other limited options.

It's a known phenomenon that the eldest child in a large family, fundie or not, often put off having children of their own for years, or skip it altogether. They feel like they've "been there done that' in respect to having and raising kids. Or they just had enough little kids running around for awhile. Even if they didn't have a big hand in raising siblings they may not feel a strong desire to procreate right off.

In jana's case she had a huge hand in raising siblings. I bet her desire for her own brood is minimal at this point (I'm sure mine would be). And in the fundie world marriage = babies. She may be avoiding courting at this point as her only allowable form of birth control.

I think Jana will be married before she turns 30

God forbid! She should be having grandkids at 30 and not just starting her own family. So much shame here...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived