IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Lucky 13

happy atheist

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard of him. What's his first name? Or is his first name Hubert?

I saw the video Jessa put up at the Rodeo. I think Jana is so pretty.

His instagram is @thelonehubert

His name is Andrew and he's kinda hunky. He does volunteer firefighting and participates in country activities involving horses and trucks and so on and so forth. He lives in AR and is fundie-esque. It appears he grew up in ATI and he is also close with the Bates.

Edit: his fb says Oklahoma but his instagram implied AR - I had thought he live in TN!

Here's a new pic, we have Andrew and his sister on top, and the Duggars and tabatha Paine below. Last night at the rodeo.

instagram.com/p/4rkW1SCg_x/

I am not convinced we will never see them on the air again. I can see TLC dipping a "toe" in the water and having a special about Jessa's birth. It will show Jessa, Ben, Jill, maybe Jana and Derik. Mullet will be at the birth, but not shown on camera. Hey, who can "fault" a special showing the "victims" (TLC's thinking). If that goes well, maybe the next special for "Sia's wedding. Again, not showing Josh, Mullet and Boob. Then maybe TLC will send a crew to wherever Jill and Derik are for another special. Very slowly for a couple of years till people forget.....

I think TLC is planning to do just this too. I am assuming most of the people who watched 19 kids actually liked them or didn't actively dislike them and would probably tune in again, however. I am curious if TLC's typical viewer already didn't like the Duggars and are now offended and will stop watching TLC if the show comes back or if the average TLC viewer is okay with the show coming back or is impartial. I really won't be surprised if the Duggars are back on the air this fall.

I am not convinced we will never see them on the air again. I can see TLC dipping a "toe" in the water and having a special about Jessa's birth. It will show Jessa, Ben, Jill, maybe Jana and Derik. Mullet will be at the birth, but not shown on camera. Hey, who can "fault" a special showing the "victims" (TLC's thinking). If that goes well, maybe the next special for "Sia's wedding. Again, not showing Josh, Mullet and Boob. Then maybe TLC will send a crew to wherever Jill and Derik are for another special. Very slowly for a couple of years till people forget.....

I think TLC is planning to do just this too. I am assuming most of the people who watched 19 kids actually liked them or didn't actively dislike them and would probably tune in again. However, I am curious if TLC's typical viewer who didn't watch the show but watched the other shows are now offended and will stop watching TLC if the show comes back, or if the average TLC viewer is okay with the show coming back because they don't care. I really won't be surprised if the Duggars are back on the air this fall.

As for the Lonehubert, you guys thinking he is a potential guy for Jana or Jinger? His Instagram was private when I went to look, but he is nice looking in his profile picture.

I don't think thelonehubert is very picky about who he allows to follow him on Instagram.

I think TLC is planning to do just this too. I am assuming most of the people who watched 19 kids actually liked them or didn't actively dislike them and would probably tune in again, however. I am curious if TLC's typical viewer already didn't like the Duggars and are now offended and will stop watching TLC if the show comes back or if the average TLC viewer is okay with the show coming back or is impartial. I really won't be surprised if the Duggars are back on the air this fall.

Hmm. I disagree with this. I think there are three kinds of viewers, only one of which will stick around.

(a) Christians who fall in line with a personal relationship with Jesus solves everything -- they would stick around.

(b) Christians who liked the Duggars as role models for their kids before, but no longer think this b/c of the scandal -- they would leave

© Others who were intrigued by the novelty of the Duggars but are now disgusted -- they would leave

I think the "base" was (a) and (b). Hard to know the mix of each. I think the recent bump was mostly from ©. I think they are going to be well below baseline, especially if they don't address the issue in the show, which I don't think they'll do unless JB holds his nose and does it for the $$$.

I’m pretty sure my mother would still watch as long as Josh was not filmed. She is a Christian in name, but doesn’t attend any church. I haven’t talked to her about the scandal, because I gave up trying to tell her things about the Duggars years ago. She thinks they are a sweet family and no amount of my explaining could convince her other wise. She to this day thinks that Bin had a room in their real guest house, not a firetrap in a where house type building on their property. :angry-banghead:

Hmm. I disagree with this. I think there are three kinds of viewers, only one of which will stick around.

(a) Christians who fall in line with a personal relationship with Jesus solves everything -- they would stick around.

(b) Christians who liked the Duggars as role models for their kids before, but no longer think this b/c of the scandal -- they would leave

© Others who were intrigued by the novelty of the Duggars but are now disgusted -- they would leave

I think the "base" was (a) and (b). Hard to know the mix of each. I think the recent bump was mostly from ©. I think they are going to be well below baseline, especially if they don't address the issue in the show, which I don't think they'll do unless JB holds his nose and does it for the $$$.

I think TLC is trying to figure the same thing out before finally axing the show because they don't want to piss off their viewers either way and lose their number 1 money maker, which says a lot about TLC. I know I fell into category C like most of us here who actually watched the show, it probably wouldn't be too surprising if most people were the same.

I think TLC is trying to figure the same thing out before finally axing the show because they don't want to piss off their viewers either way and lose their number 1 money maker, which says a lot about TLC. I know I fell into category C like most of us here who actually watched the show, it probably wouldn't be too surprising if most people were the same.

I'm also in the C group. I was beyond intrigued by them. I came from a small family and have one. I was positive that someone was going to break, leave, whatever. This is beyond what I'd ever thought. I used to question JB and wouldn't have been shocked if he'd been outed.

I watched the Duggars for the same reason I watch ‘Hoarders’ and ‘Intervention’. I feel so much better about myself, its like a free self esteem boost. I know I’m an odd duck. :D

I haven't watched the Duggars for years, except for on YouTube where I can fast forward through all the boring repetitive crap. Yes, Michelle, you've mentioned jurisdictions before and the horrible sin of mowing the lawn in a bikini.

It's a boring show.

Hoarders makes me feel ill, but after a couple of episodes I did a thorough house cleaning. I'll never go back.

Intervention is one of my favorite reality shows because it seems like the interventionists and the show itself are really trying to help people. The most astounding episodes are those where the whole family is much sicker than the addict, who seems to be only acting out on the family illness in general. The formula for Intervention doesn't work anymore, but the repeats still grab me. It's so raw, I can't help but get personally involved with it. There are a couple of interventionists who are so good at sizing up the family situation and moving them all into recovery, it's something to watch.

They are waiting until this blows over to cancel the show when no one cares anymore. They don't want to upset their 'base'.

Given that they have chosen not to air the current season, at least right now, they are certainly already looking into alternative programming -- a likely consideration since the day this first broke. So while they may be holding out hope, I think they know it's dunzo. Even if they were to bring them back, severe damage to ratings is likely done.

If they do 'dip their toes' in with a birth special they can gage the damage with actual damage ... but I suspect they won't. JB is tough to deal with and I can imagine continuing to film the Duggars in any way would harm them if sued.

Edited for clarity.

They finished the current season and were pimping the next season* using footage they'd already shot. It wouldn't surprise me if they try and air it at some point. I agree with your suggestion that they may try to ease viewers back in with a VSE or two and see how it goes. I hope their efforts fail and TLC and the Duggars come out of it looking like the money hungry assholes they are. :lol:

*I did some quick and dirty math and they average about 12 weeks between seasons, but some seasons have much longer breaks and one season had no break at all (according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_1 ... g_episodes); I don't think they gave a premiere date for the new season, but if I had to guess I might go with September.

I think the people who would stand by the Duggars no matter what would be other ATI/IFB Christians, and many of them don't have TVs on principle, although some might buy episodes on iTunes, Amazon, etc. However, to maintain their show, the Duggars had to have mainstream support from people who were willing to believe that they were a "wholesome Christian family." Now that the facade has been ripped away, those mainstream viewers aren't going to watch anymore. The hate/snark watchers are also not going to watch a show that tries to minimize the legitimate concerns that many people have about the way abuse is promoted by ATI. A Jill-Jessa spin-off won't work because those girls are too dull to carry a show; they have no hobbies, no interests, and no identity other than being part of the Duggar unit. :disgust: If the story about the impending lawsuit is true, then there's no way the show can come back in any form. :penguin-no:

TLC may test the waters with a VSE of Jessa giving birth. If ratings go well, they may try a series of one hour episodes like they are doing with Kate plus 8.

TLC's ratings have doubled since the duggars have been off air. With more people watching them now they know that they don't need the duggars to make a killing. I don't think they would even since a reason to bring back the show now.

Really? The last I heard their ratings had plummeted dramatically. Have the ratings gone back up?

I know that the Duggars were their number one show but it never made any sense to me that they saturated their airtime with Duggar reruns to the point of madness. Mondays and Tuesdays became non-stop Duggar marathons. Did the Duggars really have that much interest to viewers? How many times can you watch the same episodes?

I watched the first two years I think but then found that the recaps by other people were more bearable. I think the Duggars are incredibly vapid people and can't stand to listen to them talk but at the same time I find their bizarre cult fascinating. As individuals they bore the pants off me but as a collective I couldn't get enough detail.

The Duggars have become mind-numbingly boring. I don't know how TLC does it. What with the courtships and weddings and babies over the past two seasons, it should have become MORE entertaining and interesting to watch, but it's like the opposite happened. The episodes are filled almost entirely with mundane crap and previews for whatever is supposedly coming up after the commercial break. Jill's birth episode was the worst. She had this dramatic, drawn-out, 70-hour labour ending in an emergency C-section. She got a TWO HOUR episode, and the actual labour and birth was stuck in the last ten minutes like an afterthought. What?

The Duggars have become mind-numbingly boring. I don't know how TLC does it. What with the courtships and weddings and babies over the past two seasons, it should have become MORE entertaining and interesting to watch, but it's like the opposite happened. The episodes are filled almost entirely with mundane crap and previews for whatever is supposedly coming up after the commercial break. Jill's birth episode was the worst. She had this dramatic, drawn-out, 70-hour labour ending in an emergency C-section. She got a TWO HOUR episode, and the actual labour and birth was stuck in the last ten minutes like an afterthought. What?

I think it is due to TLC marketing (by creating this show at all) to a niche audience. It would be a show that the entire community of fundamentalist Christians watch. Evangelical Christians in general became instant fans. Beyond that are the hate watchers. They have a captive audience and do not have to be very entertaining.

I agree. This last season was dreadfully dull. And they had storylines that could have been somewhat compelling by comparison. The Izzy birth, Jessa's Wedding, even poor Josie's health issues were handled in such boring and dull ways. I am not a fan of having had Josie's seizure filmed, but they could have handled the story better.

Most shows had so many recaps from past episodes, that they felt like some sort of bad dream that just kept repeating even after you wake up.

The older kids are dull, the younger ones are getting past the point where they are entertaining simply because they are cute and little. Even without the scandal, I really think the show was on it's last leg. They tried to make JD look interesting and that failed. I don't think they even tried to make poor Jana seem interesting. Joy and Jinger can be somewhat entertaining at times, but as they have aged they are more guarded and we see far fewer spontaneous eye rolls and other facial expressions. Joseph's trip to college might have been an interesting story line but for some inane reason the producers opted to push it to next season even though it happened at the same time as the other stuff this season.

They are a dull group of people. I don't think any of them can hold a conversation, outside of Jesus and the bible for any length of time at all. I think I only watched them for signs of someone getting close to breaking free, or "hate watched".

I think it is due to TLC marketing (by creating this show at all) to a niche audience. It would be a show that the entire community of fundamentalist Christians watch. Evangelical Christians in general became instant fans. Beyond that are the hate watchers. They have a captive audience and do not have to be very entertaining.

I actually disagree that everyone watching who's not an evangelical is a hate watcher. Before the molestation scandal broke, at least, there were plenty of moderately religious and even non-religious people who enjoyed watching it either because they thought it was somewhat interesting, or because they thought they were a nice family and wanted to see the courtships/weddings/babies. I think the hate-watchers are a pretty small minority. It's just not interesting enough to hate-watch. Even a lot of people here rely on the summaries others post rather than force ourselves to sit through an episode.

I don't think thelonehubert is very picky about who he allows to follow him on Instagram.

He accepted my request. So you are correct.

:D

ETA clarity.

Recently there have been articles making non-scandalous things sound scandalous like the Derjill kissing with Izzy or this headline, "Jessa Duggar Defies Family’s Swimsuit Dress Code, Jill Duggar Shares Photo Of Man On Toilet"

Do you think this takes away from the actual Duggar articles that are news and of concern as it looks like the media will pick on the poor ol' Duggars for anything? Or do these articles help rehabilitate the Duggars reminding the public that they are just a large family that likes to do typical things, but just a little bit different.

It really is lazy journalism or not thinking much of the readers. The latter article reported Pickles FB post.

There are so many real or better stories with the Duggars. Are these weird fluffy ones doing more harm by distracting?

Jessa is under Bin's headship. She can do whatever he says. Boob has no say. Even though he wishes he could control his childrens' every move until he dies.

Has it been posted anywhere that Jill and husband and Isaiah are doing international missions in an undisclosed location? They are fundraising their support-- not am uncommon practice, but most people don't have lots of income from TV shows and appearances.

Seems like trying to live their normal life in a vacation destination and calling it "missions".

Source: their Facebook

Archived