IGNORED

Old Duggar Newspaper Articles

karismanic

I've read in a few books that pebbles were even used in the Elizabethan era.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How? Hold them between your knees so your legs stay shut?

How? Hold them between your knees so your legs stay shut?

Haha! No, apparently they'd put them in the lady bits like a rudimentary IUD. Rumor has it that Catherine Howard did that.

Haha! No, apparently they'd put them in the lady bits like a rudimentary IUD. Rumor has it that Catherine Howard did that.

Well, that sounds horrifying.

Well, that sounds horrifying.

I know! A friend and I joked that if a pebble was efficient, then an IUD must be extra so with all the science behind it :lol:

I know! A friend and I joked that if a pebble was efficient, then an IUD must be extra so with all the science behind it :lol:

Right?! My insurance only covered so much, but apparently I should have just boiled a pebble and popped it up there to keep any blessings at bay!

Reading all those comments from Alice was chilling. Eight years ago and she said exactly what had happened. Jana wasn't touched and Jill was the witness. I would love to know who she is!

Damn, they must have seriously not wanted kids in order to stick rocks up their :o

I read a pioneer book that spoke about an underground newsletter that many women received that gave them recipes to make a cornstarch cone they would insert and they could also write away for some sort of rubber device that was a primitive IUD. All of this was illegal under the Comstock laws of the time that considered writing or speaking of birth control as "obscene".

Yes, even if "home remedy" birth control was available, it was considered sinful to use. It didn't always work, either. Has anyone seen that show "Call the Midwife"? It is far more entertaining than anything about birthing babies on TLC and is a drama based on the memoirs of a British midwife in the 1950s. Almost every episode concerns trying to avoid pregnancy and the difficulties of doing that.

Even after the pill became available, it was still difficult to get if your dr did not approve and many drs didn't approve for religious reasons. Some trivia though: when the pill became available, Catholic women were more likely to take it than Protestant women.

As for sticking rocks in one's vagina to avoid pregnancy--that just illuminates how desperate the situation was.

• 3 weeks later...
Fascinating article from 2002. Make that 2001.

http://www.quiverfull.com/articles.php/id20/

The "we" includes Joshua, "Joshy," 13; twins Jana, "Banana," and John-David, 11; Jill "Muffin," 10; Jessa, "Blessa," 8; Jinger, "Jin-Jin," 7; Joseph, "Joe-Joe," 6; Josiah, "Siah," 5; Joy-Anna, "Jogees," 3; "The Dynamic Duo" twins Jedidiah and Jeremiah, 2; Jason, "Jay Bird," 1, who with "The Dynamic Duo" forms "The Three Musketeers"; and James, 8 weeks.

John-David didn't get a nickname? Lucky.

When 1-year-old Jason falls to the floor and starts throwing a fit, one glance from his mother and quick wag of her finger ends the incident almost even before it begins. His training should be through by age 12, when Jim Bob and Michelle hope all their children are trained well enough to stand alone.

This is chilling.

I also guess they changed their opinion on when a child was capable of standing on their own.

A friend got pissed when I said this exact thing. If a condom can thwart any god, that god isn't so mighty.

This is actually what my pastor told my husband and I when we were having our pre-marital counseling. His exact words were quite sensible: "I and the other pastors in the denomination advise all couples to use birth control, whether the pill or condoms, whatever they feel comfortable with, or natural family planning at a minimum if they don't want to use hormonal or barrier methods. At least a year, maybe longer because marriage, knowing that you've committed your love and life to this person, can be really challenging for the first years. Even if a couple is getting a bit older, such as 35, they should still have at least one year of baby-free time to solidify their marriage. AND, there's nothing that's stronger than the will of God--if he really wants you to have a kid while you're on birth control, then that condom will break, and that pill will fail!"

A good friend of mine and his brother are both examples of this; his parents were using condoms, hormonal BC, and spermicide, and they still got pregnant with two boys! After that, they prayed and felt okay with getting a vasectomy because they were both suuuuper fertile and because having a child-army was not what they wanted!

This is chilling.

I also guess they changed their opinion on when a child was capable of standing on their own.

Yeah, that is an abnormal reaction for a one year old! Poor kiddos, blanket training at its finest: a one year old terrified of his mother.

Haha, they added over a decade to when a child ought to be able to follow the rules without supervision! I wonder if they'll ever trust an unmarried child. I find it odd that unmarried adult children need chaperons on dates and parents reading their texts, but once the same child is married, they're trusted completely. I understand that the girls are now under the headship of their husband. So, they effectively have permanent supervision and they're expected to follow their husbands rules, even if they differ from the Duggar's rules. However, the same thing happened with Josh. While he was courting and even engaged, they always had "accountability". Yet once he was married, he had free reign.

John-David didn't get a nickname? Lucky.

The article mentions something about Boob not going against Hutchinson because of Hutchinson's "martial" troubles. Was Hutchinson having problems with his roundhouse kick? :lol: :lol:

. . . how did I not know about this thread sooner? This is GLORIOUS!!!!!!! So much Snark! So little time!!! :popcorn2:

Interesting article! Can someone tell me more about when Jim Bob was robbed?

My own summary of the story from "20 and Counting"

When they lived in the 'car lot house years ago, Jim Bob had a couple come by one morning interested in buying a car and they told JB they woudl be back that evening to buy it. He was working late cleaning the garage when the couple returned with the money. The man acted like he was going to call the woman's dad for the rest of the money so JB took them in the house except no call was made. The guy pulled a gun and said they wanted the car and his money which he just happened to have deposited money leaving him with $11.

The angered man said they would look for hidden money and he would be sorry if they found any. TO make it short, they tied JB in the garage at gun point and told the couple "I don't want to die, but im ready. I beleive Go has a plan and purpose for each person's life. I don't know where you are going, but hope you think about that when you get there'.

They made off with the car, telling him to stya put and they would notify someone the next morning where he wa but JB freed himself and told Michelle pregnant with JD and Jana who slept through it ll. He babbles about forgiveness and sent the robbers a Bible in prison.

This is actually what my pastor told my husband and I when we were having our pre-marital counseling. His exact words were quite sensible: "I and the other pastors in the denomination advise all couples to use birth control, whether the pill or condoms, whatever they feel comfortable with, or natural family planning at a minimum if they don't want to use hormonal or barrier methods. At least a year, maybe longer because marriage, knowing that you've committed your love and life to this person, can be really challenging for the first years. Even if a couple is getting a bit older, such as 35, they should still have at least one year of baby-free time to solidify their marriage. AND, there's nothing that's stronger than the will of God--if he really wants you to have a kid while you're on birth control, then that condom will break, and that pill will fail!"

A good friend of mine and his brother are both examples of this; his parents were using condoms, hormonal BC, and spermicide, and they still got pregnant with two boys! After that, they prayed and felt okay with getting a vasectomy because they were both suuuuper fertile and because having a child-army was not what they wanted!

What I was always taught growing up Catholic was that yes, God could make the condom break or the pill fail but why should he when you're putting a physical barrier between you and what He wants? And if you're putting physical barriers between you and him, what kind of mental and spiritual barriers are you also putting up? Basically, they were saying that if you used BC or contraceptives, you don't trust God. And if you don't trust God, why would he trust you? Or something. There was a lot of eye rolling from me during this lesson.

Just thinking about The Rod that was used on all of those sweet little kids. What strikes me now is how uncritical media coverage of the Duggars has been (by critical i don't mean criticizing I mean accepting a face value). The were always treated as a quaint human interest story an no one ever looked beneath the surface. There was no mention of Bill Gothard and IBLP or patriarchal culture. Now *that* would have been a story.

Lisa

Just thinking about The Rod that was used on all of those sweet little kids. What strikes me now is how uncritical media coverage of the Duggars has been (by critical i don't mean criticizing I mean accepting a face value). The were always treated as a quaint human interest story an no one ever looked beneath the surface. There was no mention of Bill Gothard and IBLP or patriarchal culture. Now *that* would have been a story.

Lisa

Or what JB physically and emotionally did to Josh before he took him for construction therapy.

Archived