IGNORED

Old Duggar Newspaper Articles

karismanic

No, you were right. Gothard is against all forms of birth control or limiting children.

As for how they expected to succeed while limiting their children's education, well Gothard had many people convinced that their kids simply did not need an education. Back in the 80's and 90's he was anti-college, all college, and instead taught parents that his apprenticeship programs were enough. He even had his own "medical" program. Advanced EXCEL(which I didn't attend because I sucked at the regular EXCEL) supposedly taught girls and women how to start an ATI approved home business. He would tell stories of boys having business men just walk up to them and offer high paying jobs based on their "shining eyes" and good countenance. :roll:

Sjeesh, real short-sighted thinking on their part... because what happens when they have out-bred the secular population? There won't be any educated businessmen to offer those high paying jobs :angry-banghead:

Anyway, it's easy to see through Gothard's ploy, he makes loads of money with his apprenticeships/alert/jtth/excels and whatever-else-non-real-educational crap thingies. It's a pity there are so many fundies out there that believe his scam...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, you were right. Gothard is against all forms of birth control or limiting children.

As for how they expected to succeed while limiting their children's education, well Gothard had many people convinced that their kids simply did not need an education. Back in the 80's and 90's he was anti-college, all college, and instead taught parents that his apprenticeship programs were enough. He even had his own "medical" program. Advanced EXCEL(which I didn't attend because I sucked at the regular EXCEL) supposedly taught girls and women how to start an ATI approved home business. He would tell stories of boys having business men just walk up to them and offer high paying jobs based on their "shining eyes" and good countenance. :roll:

This sounds like some crazy thing the North Korean goverment would say. No one believes that propaganda, either, and Kim Jong Il is the butt of jokes all over the world. The tragedy is that real human lives were and are damaged by these fuckers. I'm not saying Gothard has as much impact or caused as much harm as Kim, but wow that ridiculous claim just sort of jumped out at me as a striking parallel between the two.

"We do story time, just like a biography of great Christians". :shock: And like you're like home like schooling?

Gothard is very much into having baby after baby to build an army for God. Yes, there were families with 2-4 kids, but most of the ones I met were running 6+ children. Every year at the conferences they would parade the "reversal" babies around to show off the families that followed God's will and had tried to have babies after having things like vasectomies or their tubes tied. It was all about how these parents had disobeyed God and tried to limit their children, but now they saw how sinful that was and now God was blessing them with children. In the first Duggar special they go to an ATI event and talk about how mega-families isn't uncommon there.

Is "reversal baby" a post count title? If not it should be :lol:

Also, seconding halcionne's point that much of Gothardism sounds like something out of North Korea. Except nobody balks when someone calls that a cult.

Lots of snipping:

FOR EXAMPLE: every day she could spend valuable time with the kids preparing dinner. Its not so much work to feed 25 people if everyone peels their own potato. Instead of paper plates, the kids can be split up into a few kitchen clean up teams that would ensure they didn't have to wash dishes more than twice a week. They could spend an hour gardening everyday---many hands makes light work of weeding a vegetable patch. Kids do not have to be read to individually---she could read to them in age appropriate groups. Another hour can be spent playing games or sports together. She could easily make a point of giving each kid a hug and kiss everyday. Younger kids need and want more attention than older kids need and want. She has no other responsibilities. It is possible to do this and she doesn't have to rely on Jslaves to get it done.

The fact is that they are having so many kids for ideological reasons. Their personal relationships with their family mean less to them than their ability to produce more adherents for their sect. They narcissisticly believe that God needs their help to bring more Christians into the world and that people who avoid pregnancy are thwarting God's plans. Its amazing how weak and limited they believe God is.

I don't have access to news DBs, but I do find this blurb funny.

Headline: Duggar's Sideshow

Date: May 8, 2002

Publication: Benton County Daily Record (AR)

Page: 6

U.S. Senate candidate Jim Bob Duggar's musical exhibition featuring about a halfdozen of his 13 children is getting old and annoying, and that has nothing to do with a political conspiracy among the Republican establishment.

Duggar, a state representative, brushed aside requests late last month from the Washington County Republican Women to have the kids take a break so he could articulate some of his campaign message. He drew a sharp response from Republican Anne Britton, who...

Where did you find this? I might be able to get the full article through the local university.

Got it. It's an opinion piece, and it's everything we hoped it would be.

Duggar's Sideshow

Benton County Daily Record (AR) - May 8, 2002

Section: OpinionPage: 6

U.S. Senate candidate Jim Bob Duggar's musical exhibition featuring about a halfdozen of his 13 children is getting old and annoying, and that has nothing to do with a political conspiracy among the Republican establishment.

Duggar, a state representative, brushed aside requests late last month from the Washington County Republican Women to have the kids take a break so he could articulate some of his campaign message. He drew a sharp response from Republican Anne Britton, who finally said what a lot of others have been thinking: It's time the Duggar campaign move beyond the state representative's impressive ability to procreate.

"We all know the children are talented, but we need to hear the candidate," she said. "It's time for that."

Duggar ignored her request and brought the kids up for their now-famous musical number, "Won't you please vote for my Daddy?" He took only a handful of seconds before and after to speak, and even then didn't say much.

In fact, Duggar's campaign of late has focused almost exclusively on his wife and 13 children. Every campaign ad and billboard for Duggar shows his very large family, but says little else about his positions on the myriad issues he must tackle if he were elected to the U.S.

Senate. When given the chance at campaign events to better articulate why he should replace fellow Republican U.S. Sen. Tim Hutchinson, he has instead fallen back on his children's limited repertoire. Surely after serving as a state representative for two years, Duggar has something to say about his abilities and his positions. Why are we still hearing the same old song and dance?

We're confident everyone is impressed with the Duggars' ability to birth and raise 13 children. That's no small feat. And we're equally confident the kids won over some voters early on with their musical talent and cherub faces, which have been featured at virtually every campaign event. Here is a man who appears very committed to family, and that's a fine thing.

But on the campaign trail, enough is enough. People are starting to ask, is this Duggar's platform? Is this what qualifies him to be a U.S. senator? What issues - besides the generalities about family values and abortion on his Web site - does Duggar plan to tackle in Congress? Why should Republicans vote for him over an incumbent senator?

That seemed to be what Britton was trying to get out of Duggar when she asked for an intermission in the Duggar sing-along to "hear the candidate." Instead of sticking to the format the Republican Women had established, Duggar ignored their request and had the kids strike up the band. He then grumbled something about Britton being a Hutchinson supporter and later dismissed the conflict as more evidence that he was unwanted by the Republican "hierarchy and machinery."

Duggar's entrance into the race certainly didn't endear him to the Republican leadership. Running against an incumbent in either party is tantamount to partisan suicide, as one Republican official pointed out immediately after Duggar announced his candidacy.

But Republican leaders haven't asked Duggar to stay out of the race by banning him from campaign events and the like. They haven't even actively campaigned against him.

It seems to us that if Duggar's ostracizing was simply a conspiracy among the Republican elite, he wouldn't be invited to these functions. The resistance to his campaign at this point has little to do with "hierarchy and machinery" and more to do with people's desire to hear something besides an encore performance.

It's also likely that Duggar's candidacy is losing some legitimacy because he hasn't offered a clear vision for the office he's seeking - or even a substantial message as to why he should be the Republican nominee. All we've heard for months is singing and guitar strumming from the Duggar family, which would be great if they were auditioning to be the Von Trappe family in "The Sound of Music."

Duggar's views may very well make him a formidable Republican candidate for U.S.

Senate, but who would know? All voters have heard so far are musical endorsements from his offspring.

If Duggar really is a serious candidate, he needs to act like one - and issue a curtain on the Duggar sideshow.

- Northwest Arkansas Times

Once I went to a county fair about that time and Jim Bob was there having all his kids sing and ask people to vote for their dad. He literally turned his family into a side show.

Whoa... that opinion piece is crazy on-point. Good to know they were disliked even before the specials for using their kids as props.

How the heck has no news source dug this up before?! Especially with all the Duggar scrutiny (or at least interest) lately?

The Benton County Daily Record is not fond of the Duggars.

This paragraph is from an article about poor Pluto being demoted.

Goofy About Pluto - For a number of reasons, we're hoping Pluto remains in the planets club

Benton County Daily Record (AR) - August 24, 2006

Section: OpinionPage: 6

Should the definition of "planets" prove too loose, though, and all sorts of objects begin obtaining status as objects equal to the likes of the Earth, Mars or Jupiter, we all might start to rethink tinkering with the definition of a planet. Someday soon, will there be as many planets to memorize as there are states? Or nations around the world? Or offspring of Jim Bob Duggar?

Either way, here's to Pluto. And to all the wonders of space as yet undiscovered.

The Jackass of the Year 2009 Awards.

Jackass Of The Year Awards

Benton County Daily Record (AR) - December 31, 2009

Author/Byline: BOB CAUDLE; Section: OpinionPage: 5

The Duggar Family: They've produced one kid shy of four basketball teams and a TV show. That's what Arkansas needs for image - a family that spreads faster than a Kudzu vine.

(edited to combine posts, fix typos, and other such bullshit)

Parenting tips from Michelle in 2011.

Parenting, Duggar Style - MOTHER OF 19 SHARES FAITH, TIPS WITH FAYETTEVILLE MOPS GROUP

Benton County Daily Record (AR) - March 23, 2011

Author/Byline: Bettina Lehovec; Section: LifePage: 7

FAYETTEVILLE

When producers at TLC Discovery Communications asked Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar if they could film their family, the couple decided it was OK - as long as TV producers didn't edit out their faith.

"Our faith is the core of our life," Michelle Duggar said in a talk with a local parenting group last week. "You take that out, (and there's nothing left)."

That emphasis was evident at the MOPS group meeting at Trinity United Methodist Church in Fayetteville on March 14. The matriarch of America's best-known large family shared the central role of faith in her life. In the process, she tackled parenting issues from potty-training to video games.

"She gives me hope," said Stephanie McCratic, president of the Mothers of Preschoolers group. "She uses very positive parenting techniques. ... If she can do it with 19 kids, surely with one, it's possible."

McCratic and her husband, Steve, are fans of the TLC show "19 Kids & Counting." The popular reality show (with name changes to reflect the growing family) is in its fifth season.

Duggar's cultural values are more conservative than hers, McCratic said. Yet her orderly home, her well-behaved and respectful children and the obvious harmony that pervades their life are all things she aspires to.

"I watch so that I can learn what in the world she is doing right," McCratic said. "She's a faith role model for me and my family."

Below is a synopsis of Duggar's key points about child-rearing.

! The importance of praise:

Words are powerful, Duggar said. Parents' natural inclination is to see children's character flaws. Yet rather than harping on those, Duggar counsels zipping one's lips.

"There's definitely a place for correcting," she said. "But on a regular basis, praise is best." She looks for three concrete things each day to praise about each child.

"Sometimes that's hard," she said to laughter. "If you can't see anything good, ask God to help you find something."

! Instilling positive character traits: Duggar uses a rubric of 49 character traits such as self-control, compassion and tolerance. Children are coached in their meaning and application from a very early age. She has a video of two of her daughters in diapers, reciting a passage from Ephesians about "the armor of God."

"Don't think that your little ones can't gather the information you're giving them," Duggar said. "They are like sponges - soaking up whatever you put in front of them."

Chasten children quickly when they act out, Duggar said. That will keep their behavior from escalating and prevent resentment from building in the mother's heart.

She doesn't expect perfection, Duggar said, from her children or herself.

"I'm learning right along with them. I don't have it all figured out yet."

! On parents controlling their anger: It's a familiar cycle, Duggar said. Parents raise their voices to get their children's attention, the children tune out, parents raise their voices more and pretty soon they're yelling. The problem is that speaking in anger doesn't accomplish what the parents want.

Duggar found her strategy in the scriptural proverb, "A soft answer turns away wrath." She's lived by it ever since. "When I whisper, the kids know they're really in trouble."

Her husband, Jim Bob, found another solution to his anger reaction, Michelle said. He asked the children to lay a hand on his arm and tell him when he was getting angry.

"It was like ice cold water being poured on a hot head," she said. "That was the end of our anger problem."

! Mothers as the "servant of all": That's the definition of a mom, Duggar said. Mothers rise from their beds when babies cry, despite wanting desperately to cling to sleep. They sit up with sick children, bringing cool cloths and changing soiled sheets.

Duggar recalled standing at the table to teach her school-aged kids after lunch. If she sat down, she'd fall asleep, she said.

The ultimate model for selfless giving is found in the life and crucifixion of Christ, she said.

"You understand what it is to die to yourself," she told the listening women. "You might not always be joyful, but you do it. You're yielding your right to enough sleep, to a clean house, to all the toys put away, to warm food. ... You're learning what it means to be a servant."

! Counteracting "worldly" influences: Duggar restricts Internet access in the home and on children's cellphones. The children generally get phones when they start driving. The Duggars don't watch television, but they do own several old video games with Bible or military themes. Children are allowed to play them on occasion as a reward or treat.

People sometimes tell her she's overprotective, but she believes she's making the right choice, Duggar said.

"We're responsible for every influence in our children's lives. That's deep."

Her 19-year-old daughter, Jill, who accompanied her mom along with three sisters, pointed out that the children are not cloistered from the world. They travel in their role as Christian ambassadors and see the choices that are out there.

"A lot of people, this is what their dream would be," Jill said. "We get to live it."

! Choosing joy: Duggar's No. 1 goal is to be "a joyful mother of children," she said. She defined joy as an acronym: Jesus first, others second, yourself last.

"Even if you have a headache, even if you didn't sleep last night, even if my house is a wreck, even if the dishes aren't done, even if there's no dinner on the table. We'll eat out of cans!"

Duggar strives to create harmony by f illing her home - and heart - with Scripture reading and harp music. She committed early in her marriage to spend at least five minutes a day with God's word, she said. The family as a whole reads one chapter of Proverbs a day, cycling through the 31 chapters each month.

"A home should be a haven, a place of rest, a place to get away from all the craziness of the world," she said. "There's so much yucky stuff. It's important to keep good stuff in."

Choosing joy is contagious, she said. "The only way we can pour joy into (our families) is by being filled by our father. When he fills us up, it pours out."

Thank you so much for finding this! I would l-o-v-e LOVE it if there was an action campaign song, or even trained the kids to say WONT YOU PLEASE VOTE FOR MY DADDY.

So nice to see him trying to get his kids to do the heavy lifting for him at campaign stumps. Can you imagine having to say to JB, look your kids rendition of Amazing Grace was lovely, but could you tell us how you plan to keep jobs in AR if elected, and having his response be bringing his kids back up to saw away on those violins?

And then JB dismissed this legitimate concern, saying the Republican machine has always been out to get the Duggars. This is your own frickin’ party, you squirrelly nut job.

But I am curious what made him as a Republican candidate decide to challenge a Republican incumbent for US Senate. That seems like a suicide mission.

Seems his MO is to attack (i.e. go after a guy in your party’s job, attack pro-choice etc then when there’s resistance, plea the victim…)

OMG THIS IS AMAZING :cracking-up:

These are my favorite parts. I tried to snip as much as possible but it was rough. So much side-eye to the ridiculous procreation. And not subtle, either. I do wonder how he campaigned for his Arkansas Senate seat. Did this shit work? Also, that Von Trappe comment is golden.

Amazing find! So, Jim Bob couldn't even run for office on his own. He had the kids doing that also.

The Von Trappe comment is priceless!.

'Rehearsing to be the Von Trappe family' should be a post count. :lol:

Did he really think he'd manage to get elected without even talking to people about his policies. He really does believe that his children/slaves have that much sway over everyone doesn't he? :cray-cray:

Quoting from an old thread: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15440. I'm trying to find a video but it's proving difficult. Here's the text of the "please vote for my daddy" song

CHILDREN SINGING: America's for freedom / That's what we're all about / Our Founding Fathers' message / "It's character that counts" / With loyalty and honor / God's love it is the glue / That helps us do to others / As we'd like them to do.

CHORUS: Would you please vote for our daddy / We would like to serve you in Washington, D.C.

CHILDREN SINGING: You see our campaign platform / Conservative 'tis true / And if your heart's a kindred / Then you'll know what to do / Just put a check by Duggar / He'll get in there and fight / Let's turn our nation back / To stand for what is right.

CHORUS: Would you please vote for our daddy / We would like to serve you in Washington, D.C.

JIM BOB DUGGAR: Paid for by Duggar for U.S. Senate.

Quoting from an old thread: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15440. I'm trying to find a video but it's proving difficult. Here's the text of the "please vote for my daddy" song

My god, I don't think my eyeballs can roll any harder. I don't doubt this video is hard to find. I'm off on a hunt too because after reading those lyrics, I'm desperate for the melody too.

That song. :lol: I sure hope that there is a video out there somewhere so we can watch.

Since we're talking about JB's campaign, here's a detailed piece about why he ran against incumbent Tim Hutchinson for the US Senate seat in 2002.

Looks like this was a syndicated article. The copy I accessed is the Wisconsin State Journal from May 19, 2002:

Control of Senate could hinge on divorce of GOP senator

U.S. senator from Arkansas faces primary challenge and a tough Democratic opponent if he survives.

By Steven Thomma

Knight Ridder Newspapers

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. — It isn't on the ballot Tuesday. It isn't mentioned in the ads or the speeches. But simmering just beneath the surface of an otherwise routine campaign is an issue that could help decide the balance of power in the U.S. Senate.

It is nothing so simple as war or peace, taxes or spending. It is Arkansas Republican Sen. Tim Hutchinson's recent divorce from his first wife and marriage to a former aide. In the morality play that Arkansas politics can be, careers can hang on questions of sin, forgiveness and redemption. Think of former Rep. Wilbur Mills' struggles after being caught cavorting with a stripper, or Bill Clinton with Gennifer Flowers or Monica Lewinsky.

Once a hero to Christian conservatives, Hutchinson is being challenged in Tuesday's primary by state Rep. Jim Bob Duggar. Smiling and relaxed, Duggar is a devout Christian who says God called him to run. He advertises his values by traveling the state with his wife and nine of their homeschooled 13 children. They proudly announce at each rally that their 14th is due around Election Day in November.

"The divorce is the reason for the challenge," said Janine Parry, a political scientist at the University of Arkansas. "The marital problem and the allegations of hypocrisy make Hutchinson more vulnerable."

Though an upset is possible in a primary where as few as 50,000 people might vote, Hutchinson is likely to survive. He has outspent Duggar $1 million to about $100,000 this year and ignored Duggar in his ads, focusing instead on the general election. He said recently that he wants to get 65 percent of the vote, a strong suggestion that his private polls show him far ahead.

But Duggar's challenge itself, and the bitter sentiment toward Hutchinson from some Arkansans who previously supported him, suggest that he might have trouble winning the general election. Waiting to challenge him then is Attorney General Mark Pryor, 39, the Democratic son of David Pryor, the popular former governor and senator.

Already down by one vote in the Senate, Republicans need to hold Hutchinson's seat to give them their best chance of winning back control in November.

If Hutchinson is vulnerable because of family, Pryor is formidable because of his. His father was governor from 1974 to 1978 and a popular senator from 1979 to 1996. He now heads the Institute of Politics at Harvard University.

"You know me as Arkansas attorney general," Mark Pryor says in a television ad that is now airing. "But I'm also my father's son. He taught me to speak my mind and to think for myself."

In an interview, Pryor said he would work to cast Hutchinson as too beholden to the Republican Party and not intouch with independent-minded Arkansans. Asked to cite specifics, he mentioned Hutchinson voting when he was in the House of Representatives, before his election to the Senate, to abolish the Department of Education and his support for school vouchers.

Pryor wouldn't comment on Hutchinson's divorce. But he did volunteer his thoughts about Hutchinson's primary opponent.

"Jim Bob Duggar is a real decent guy," Pryor said. "He's a man of conviction. He has a wonderful family."

Hutchinson, 52, knows he is in trouble. Some of it stems simply from the fact that Arkansas is a conservative but populist swing state, where a string of successful Democrats led by former Sens. Dale Bumpers and David Pryor and former Gov. (and President) Clinton resisted the Republican tide that swept the rest of the South.

Moral crusade

Hutchinson also knows he has disappointed and angered many supporters who saw him as a champion of family values. He is a graduate of the fundamentalist Christian Bob Jones University, a former Baptist minister and founder of a Christian school. In 1996 he became the first Republican elected to the Senate from Arkansas since 1879.

In Congress, the Hutchinson name stood for family values, particularly marriage. Brother Asa Hutchinson won a seat in the House and was one of the impeachment managers who prosecuted Clinton on charges of lying under oath to conceal his relationship with Lewinsky. As a senator, Tim Hutchinson voted to convict Clinton.

Then came his 1999 divorce and remarriage a year later. Duggar launched his primary challenge in 2001. His campaign is largely a moral crusade. His political creed for government leaders includes a warning about lust and the danger of "physical or mental adultery" and the "appearances of evil."

Duggar, 36, his wife and their older children travel the state in a red 15-passenger Ford van with a bumper sticker proclaiming, "Evolution is a lie." Their rallies start with their children playing familiar songs such as "Dixie" and "Amazing Grace" on their violins. Then they sing their theme song with the refrain: "Could you please vote for our daddy?"

Speaking last at one typical rally this week, Duggar proclaimed: "My family and my faith in God are my No. 1 priority."

It reminds me of some old videos that came out after Michael Jackson died of Prince and Paris Jackson singing to him about how much they love their "daddy." I think that both JB and Michael Jackson both needed constant validation about their awesome fatherhood skillz.

Amazing find! So, Jim Bob couldn't even run for office on his own. He had the kids doing that also.

Yet another example of that fine Duggar work ethic - get your kids to do all of the parenting and campaigning for you! :roll:

Probably a bit too off-topic, but I've always wondered: if God is all powerful in their eyes, and wants them to have eleventy-billion children, then why wouldn't God like... make the condom break? Apologies for being so crass, but I just don't get it!

A friend got pissed when I said this exact thing. If a condom can thwart any god, that god isn't so mighty.

A friend got pissed when I said this exact thing. If a condom can thwart any god, that god isn't so mighty.

Well, on the flip side, if we had an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent God, he would have cursed one, or preferably, both of them with permanent unfertility so they'd never have been able to have more kids than they were capable of raising...

Archived