IGNORED

FJ points and laughs at IBLP basic & advanced seminar texts

halcionne

The vast majority of white Americans circumsized until very recently (probably still do? I don't know anyone with boy children). I think it's a safe bet that they're all cut, even if Gothard didn't recommend it.

Really? :pink-shock:

It seems there are quite a lot of things I didn`t know about Usa...

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"My wife then became pregnant, and the Lord has blessed us with a baby girl. When we took her to the pediatrician at two days of age, he commented that she was one of the most perfect two-day-olds that he had ever seen."

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

How do you judge a 2-day-old baby's perfection, anyway? Is it the absence of health issues? That applies to most babies. What about a lack of baby acne? Maybe this baby has some speshul divine glow because she's her parents super speshul godly blessing.

Or, you know, no doctor said that ever.

I'm a pediatrician and I can guarantee you that their pediatrician has probably said this to almost every parent. One of the benefits of my job is I get to gush over beautiful new babes and I am more than willing to pass that on to any parents (especially new parents that are still in the madly in love yet scared out of their mind phase). :)

One of my best friends is an ob/gyn who doesn't like babies, yet she tells new parents how gorgeous and perfect their babies are every single day. Not something to brag about, dear Pastor from Washington. :lol:

Hi guys. I've been typing the world's longest segment in which Gothard knocks down excuses for why not to approach people we've wronged, but between the length and the heat and holiday activities, it won't be up this week. I'm a little over halfway through the typing, but I will be away from my cult books for a few days, so probably won't have anything up before Friday. I do want to get through this clear conscience junk and then maybe we can delve into dating. Yes, my edition of Basic uses the d-word! :nenner:

Really? :pink-shock:

It seems there are quite a lot of things I didn`t know about Usa...

We also don't call it "Usa". It's "the U.S.A." or "the U.S." or "America". :D

Hi guys. I've been typing the world's longest segment in which Gothard knocks down excuses for why not to approach people we've wronged, but between the length and the heat and holiday activities, it won't be up this week. I'm a little over halfway through the typing, but I will be away from my cult books for a few days, so probably won't have anything up before Friday. I do want to get through this clear conscience junk and then maybe we can delve into dating. Yes, my edition of Basic uses the d-word! :nenner:

DATING?!

Where is my fainting couch?

Hooray! You posted more! I missed a couple bumps and just caught up. Holy inane sappy stories indeed. Wow. And yes, so much dysfunction in fundie-ville probably came directly from these teachings. Such a complete lack of boundaries with others.

Ha, yeah, I'd be very surprised if the Duggar boys weren't circumcised. American Christians in my current area tend to skip over the bits in the New Testament where Paul all but forbids circumcision and many think they have to for religious reasons - although most don't bother doing it on the 8th day or having a religious ceremony and just have it done in the hospital after birth while saying they did it for religious reasons.

My husband was born in the early-80s and wasn't cut, though his father was. It wasn't a big deal even though the rates were still extremely high then. Many Americans make a big deal about cutting the sons so they'll match the father (I don't understand the reasoning... Only one of my kids got my eye color, maybe I should force the others to wear colored contacts so we match?). On the West Coast the circumcision rates are as low as 30% in some areas.

Halcionne, thanks for doing this. I've been catching up with this thread while Duck Soup plays in the background. The Marx Brothers at their silliest make more sense than Gothard.

I think I have found a long-lost teen story that, for some strange reason, didn't get into the books:

I was going through my mother's sock drawer, fondling the lisles and argyles, when my father caught me. He bellowed "you sick fuck!" and beat me to within an inch of my life. I never apologized, and now I am even more obsessed with feet than ever.

Wonder who that kid was . . . :think:

:wink-kitty:

Also, back at the beginning of the thread, the talk of possessing his vessel made my mind go right here:

[bBvideo 560,340:1fxip79x]

[/bBvideo]

I showed my cult books to my sister and her boyfriend. BF found a segment that may be good for some laughs, from Advanced, page 165:

These bible verses aren't relevant to much, from what I can tell, but it doesn't matter because it's all the woman's fault. Of course. And he really butchered one of those verses--the first one.

This passage didn't entertain me at all. :roll:

So much BS hurts my head.

I'm back! There was talk of eye traps in the Maxwells Greatest Hits thread, and Teri Maxwell and FJ member sparkles were kind enough to quote the source: Advanced pages 276-281, but I'm just taking the points from pages 278 & 279. I've seen it on here before, but let's go ahead and include it now, because the other part I'm working on is kicking my ass and won't be ready any time soon. :shifty:

AVOID EYE TRAPS.

• EYES ARE ATTRACTED TO SKIN.
    Low or plunging necklines, shirts or blouses with several buttons open, bare shoulder designs (sundresses, off the shoulder sleeves, strapless or halter tops), slits in skirts, low cut back, and bare midriff styles--all draw the eye of the observer to see just how far the opening goes.
    Bare leg designs such as short skirts or pants (shorts) draw the observer's attention to the legs.
  • EYES ARE ATTRACTED TO TEASING.
    Sheer fabrics and clinging fabrics reveal by suggestion rather than by fact. The effect of this suggestiveness is a greater allurement than bold nakedness would be.
    Bright spots of color strategically placed on a garment or lacy designs on sheer hose for women draw the eyes of observers away from the face. [so they're okay for men?? :lol: ]
  • EYES ARE ATTRACTED TO WRITTEN MESSAGES.
    Many of the messages on tee-shirts draw the eyes of the observer simply to read what is written. This distraction is magnified when the message is one of a double or suggestive meaning.
    The wearer of the garment must realize that the observer's eyes are drawn away from the face to that portion of the anatomy where the message appears.
  • EYES ARE ATTRACTED TO FADS.
    Unusual details on garments such as jagged hemlines, garrish color contrasts (e.g., clashing colors or loud colors of hose), details placed in unexpected places on a garment, strange lines in the garment design, and jangling jewelry all draw the observer's curiosity and attention.
  • EYES FOLLOW THE LINES OF ACCESSORIES.
    A string of beads knotted low and hanging to the waist, for example, will draw the observer's eyes down the length of the string. Long scarves, fringes, chain belts around the hips, sweatshirts or sweaters knotted around the hips all have this effect.
    Long, dangling earrings draw attention away from the face to the shoulders. Sandals which lace up to the knee draw attention the entire length of the cords. Shoes (especially with high heels) that have open, slipper-type backs draw attention to ankles.
  • EYES ARE ATTRACTED TO EXCESSES.
    Cosmetics should be used to enhance your facial appearance by minimizing flaws in skin. Excessive use of these products (e.g., unnatural colors, heavy eye makeup, false eyelashes, or makeup improperly applied) draws attention away from the spirit of your countenance. Excessively long nails and dark bright shades of nail polish will draw attention to hands and feet.

I found the illustrative artwork from page 281 on Recovering Grace: recoveringgrace.org/2014/08/wisdom-books-and-the-beatitudes-post-it-notes-on-a-work-of-art/:

LrLMBb1l.jpg

Also from page 281:

Visit a public place such as a shopping mall or airport. Observe how people passing by are dressed. Evaluate not only clothing, but also posture and movement of the people you observe. What messages are conveyed by the various outfits, responses, and movements?

I don't know why, but I'm kind of floored that the Maxwells have experience with IBLP. I guess I thought they were independent cultists. They seem to have passed through Gothard territory on their way to Maxhell. :pink-shock:

Those outfits are so conservative (and 80s!) and modest. I find it incredible antone would find fault in those.

Unrelated except to the bits on modesty that remind me- Once, the church that I grew up in FORBADE the use of lace or see through head coverings. A lot of the women wore them/wear them anyway. Funny shit.

And I can never forget the time the pastor preached a whole sermon on what it actually meant to cover your head. With illustrations. On himself. He took one of his wife's gigantic white solid cloth head coverings that she wears within an inch of her forehead (head covering styles and sizes vary greatly in that church, only a few are that severe) and held it up over his head in the back like the Holdeman mennonites wear them. He says, "Is this covered?" [and it was sooo obvious to us all who he was targeting with each positioning] moves it up two inches "Is this covered?" moves it up where his wife wears hers "Or is this covered?".

Inane. He never had a day of seminary in his life and he and his family are....repressed beyond life itself.

Is it bad that I spent several minutes trying to figure out what some of the eye traps on those illustrations were, and even then, I still wasn't sure about some of them? According to the text, the eye trap in #6 should be the lacy panty hose, but it took me a couple of minutes to realize those were there. What I did notice was the ginormous collar pointing at where the cleavage should be. Those same collars that the Duggars and Bateses insisted on sewing onto their dresses for so many years. And I still don't know what the eye trap in #3 is. Maybe Gothard thinks it looks fashionable? :lol:

[*]EYES ARE ATTRACTED TO TEASING.

Sheer fabrics and clinging fabrics reveal by suggestion rather than by fact. The effect of this suggestiveness is a greater allurement than bold nakedness would be.

Bright spots of color strategically placed on a garment or lacy designs on sheer hose for women draw the eyes of observers away from the face. [so they're okay for men?? :lol: ]

Well, of course they are -- none of this stuff applies to men. So men can wear lacy stockings as much as they want!

[*]EYES ARE ATTRACTED TO WRITTEN MESSAGES.

Many of the messages on tee-shirts draw the eyes of the observer simply to read what is written. This distraction is magnified when the message is one of a double or suggestive meaning.

The wearer of the garment must realize that the observer's eyes are drawn away from the face to that portion of the anatomy where the message appears.

Bill, say it -- boobs, chest, bosom, breasts! Don't be shy! We know you don't care -- you were jerking off while writing the part about the lacy hose.

[*]EYES FOLLOW THE LINES OF ACCESSORIES.

A string of beads knotted low and hanging to the waist, for example, will draw the observer's eyes down the length of the string. Long scarves, fringes, chain belts around the hips, sweatshirts or sweaters knotted around the hips all have this effect.

Well, no wonder the Maxwells' sojourn in Gothard-land was short:

uRLaT95.jpg

Cosmetics should be used to enhance your facial appearance by minimizing flaws in skin. Excessive use of these products (e.g., unnatural colors, heavy eye makeup, false eyelashes, or makeup improperly applied) draws attention away from the spirit of your countenance. Excessively long nails and dark bright shades of nail polish will draw attention to hands and feet.

Ooooooh, feet!

Hey, Jill Rodrigues, give the above a look. As much as I hate Gothard, this advice might do you some good.

LrLMBb1l.jpg

Well, of course those outfits distract from "the countenance" -- those women have no faces! :pink-shock: Aaaaaaaaghhhhhh! :shock:

Is it bad that I spent several minutes trying to figure out what some of the eye traps on those illustrations were, and even then, I still wasn't sure about some of them? According to the text, the eye trap in #6 should be the lacy panty hose, but it took me a couple of minutes to realize those were there. What I did notice was the ginormous collar pointing at where the cleavage should be. Those same collars that the Duggars and Bateses insisted on sewing onto their dresses for so many years. And I still don't know what the eye trap in #3 is. Maybe Gothard thinks it looks fashionable? :lol:

Above it said high hrals draw attention to the ankles... The ANKLES!

Above it said high hrals draw attention to the ankles... The ANKLES!

Those are high heels? Those look like the old lady shoes I have to wear when my knees act up....

These are high heels... that will call attention to one's ankles. _grzxy61900245_red_double_ankle_strap_high_heel_stiletto_shoes_41369b0e.jpg

All 6 of those outfits are a crime against fashion and modesty. An uncovered neck draws the eye away from the countenance. Wrists, like ankles, are a slippery slope that will lead Righteous Men to lust and perversion.

Your conscience has been seared. You must repent.

look #3 is clearly trying to draw attention to her bosom with that yoke front top. clearly the lace is to catch the male eye with it's whimsy. or maybe the drop waist which end at the pelvis it would make men think of those things below the pelvis.

or maybe men are to be eye trapped by the plain sensible pumps.

I'm out of ideas. have they ever updated the looks for the page because I can't imagine any modern person finding any of that attractive. maybe if you were pulled out of a time warp circa 1987 you might find that attractive.

So if written messages are taboo why were the Duggars allowed to wear their anti-abortion t-shirts? Gothard doesn't fear that the women will be lusting for a feel of pecs and abs (or moobs and flab?)

These rules are so pointless!

I'm pretty sure it's the lace bib. oh so hot! I mean come on, it really draws your eye to wear boobs should be but I am guessing in that potato sack even a DD chest will look flat!

sad confession time, I had a dress like #3 & 6, outfit like #2, skirt like #4 when I was growing up. Not fundie at all, just "fashionable" for the 80s! ha! (I had permed hair too.)

OOH what does Wisdom tell us about awesome permed hair?

Edit to add- I wonder what the fashion guidelines say today because let's face it the Duggars and Bates- the ATI poster children are breaking all sorts of these rules!

Archived