IGNORED

Grandma Mary

iheartchacos

ATI/IBLP strongly encourages homechurching based on the family unit or groups of families that follow Gothard teaching. They have even put out VIMEOS in the past to show fathers how to give Communion to their families ( which they call The Lord's Table) and how to conduct confession/reconciliation services. There is a strong current in Gothardism that encourages fathers to be the pastor/priests of their families. The individual fathers baptize their children, give them Communion, hear their confessions, and deliver sermons to their families. The father has total theological control over his wife and children. They do not want the accountability of an outside pastor or community of non Gothard believers.

I actually think it is a good sign that Jill and Derrixk belong to a non Gothard church.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ATI/IBLP strongly encourages homechurching based on the family unit or groups of families that follow Gothard teaching. They have even put out VIMEOS in the past to show fathers how to give Communion to their families ( which they call The Lord's Table) and how to conduct confession/reconciliation services. There is a strong current in Gothardism that encourages fathers to be the pastor/priests of their families. The individual fathers baptize their children, give them Communion, hear their confessions, and deliver sermons to their families. The father has total theological control over his wife and children. They do not want the accountability of an outside pastor or community of non Gothard believers.

I actually think it is a good sign that Jill and Derrixk belong to a non Gothard church.

I wonder if part of this has to do with logistics. There can't be too many Gothardites in NW Arkansas, and since the previous home church disbanded, the kind of people that would be drawn to such a church may have decided that they can't be bothered with the Duggars any long.

If I had kids that were having kids, think I would be offering vasectomies, tubals, or condoms myself after around 4 or 5.. Parents should think about the worst possible scenarios before popping out oodles of kids. While the number of kids a person has is up to them, think of the burden it may put on another person if you are out of the picture.

JL was well within is his right to say how he felt. It was obvious he didnt buy 'as many as God sees fit' or none of the other Fundie crapola.

This must've been in one of the 14 kids specials, as I'm halfway through part 4 of 5 on 16 kids and they're gearing up to leave the rental house for the TTH. The house number on the rental house was 1715. The Johnson Road house was 2101 according to the police report (someone on FJ found a slightly different house number and before/after satellite pics of the church expansion--if you look up 2101 on google maps, there's still a slab there).

ETA I'm now watching "Raising 16 Children" and they're talking about the first house. They say they sold it to the church for expansion.

I wonder if they were forced to sell or "gifted" the house to the church as a bribe for keeping quiet about Josh

I wonder if part of this has to do with logistics. There can't be too many Gothardites in NW Arkansas, and since the previous home church disbanded, the kind of people that would be drawn to such a church may have decided that they can't be bothered with the Duggars any long.

In LDS all father are also part of "the melchizedek priesthood" and all men are able to baptize and conduct services are whatnot. They only encourage homechurching for rural families. But, they do encourage families to have their own little family homechurch night outside of their usual Sunday service.

I'm guessing this belief (in ATI) is to support homesteaders and to support the notion that interacting with non-believers is scary and evil.

Well perhaps the Huckabees and the Duggars can all homechurch together

Oh I always get muddled and have to edit...

I wonder if they were forced to sell or "gifted" the house to the church as a bribe for keeping quiet about Josh

They sold the house to Cross Church (at the time, it was still First Baptist Church of Springale) in approximately 2005. The family worshipped at a homechurch called Bible Grace Fellowship, as far as I can tell.

Color me impressed. I wonder how much the Duggar girls know about their apparently badass great grandmother.

This just makes me so sad. Went to college and had a job in 1938, yet in 2015 the Duggar girls aren't allowed either. It's like each generation of that family wants less and less for their kids rather than wanting more than they had.

I wonder if JB thinks much about his grandma now. Would he consider her accomplished?

And yes, it's a total step back. ATI/Quiverfull/fundies are in general a total step back.

I wonder if JB thinks much about his grandma now. Would he consider her accomplished?

And yes, it's a total step back. ATI/Quiverfull/fundies are in general a total step back.

Jim Bob probably considers her to be a skeleton in the family closet. :D

How ironic Grandma Mary appears to have been an only child!

She definitely wasn't an only child. In Growing Up Duggar they talk about how Gma Mary was persecuted by her ebil siblings for her religious views, especially by her brother...who later (of course) came to know Jebus.

No kidding!! That's an understatement. I watched the episode about courting/marriage with my Catholic mother and she commented, "Good lord they want us back to the Victorian era!" That about sums it up.

No kidding!! That's an understatement. I watched the episode about courting/marriage with my Catholic mother and she commented, "Good lord they want us back to the Victorian era!" That about sums it up.

Yup even Mrs. Corruption (my Catholic mother) was very against the Duggars when I was explaining the situation to her. Mum couldn't believe they could touch, hug or even kiss. She was pretty disgusted.

I am very impressed with your Google-fu! Of course, I just realized that you may have used Ancestry or similar, but kudos nonetheless.

Thanks! I'm not currently doing any work for clients, but I have done genealogical research professionally... and while I take user-submitted data from Ancestry with all the grains of salt, I did use its databases to look at Lester families in the Fayetteville area in the 1940 census. Used the Google-Fu from there to confirm. Wouldn't hold up in court and I'm not documenting this rigorously at this point or anything, but good enough for now.

I'll dig around more later in the week -- have a family member in the ICU recovering from surgery and can't stay focused on the Duggars for very long. Will try to post everything else soon!

Per Instragram - looks like Grandma Mary temporarily fled the TTC and is visiting Famy.

instagram.com/p/4A2sr0NkAw/?taken-by=amyduggar

One of the leghumpers on Amy's above-referenced picture said she was basically boycotting TLC since the Duggar's weren't on (paraphrasing)....

HAHA! Unless she has written to tell TLC the reason she is boycotting them, TLC may just assume that all ratings are down due to not making a formal decision on 19KAC's future, especially with petitions circulating/circulated to have the Dug's removed.

Right? or not....one can dream

One of the leghumpers on Amy's above-referenced picture said she was basically boycotting TLC since the Duggar's weren't on (paraphrasing)....

HAHA! Unless she has written to tell TLC the reason she is boycotting them, TLC may just assume that all ratings are down due to not making a formal decision on 19KAC's future, especially with petitions circulating/circulated to have the Dug's removed.

Right? or not....one can dream

So true, they are so screwed. Normal people won't watch TLC anymore because they DID have the show and leghumpers boycott cause they won't put them back on. Win-win.

So cool about the great-grandmother going to college and serving the country.

At the very least, it tells us the family hasn't been this isolated/outrageous since time immemorial. There is hope for a few of them still, maybe?

I find it interesting that the Grandma fits the age of the mystery woman "Alice", age 61, who reported to the Oprah show. Mary is 74, so she would have been the correct age about 13 years ago. I'm not saying it is actually her that reported, but it certainly could have been a friend she confided in.

I find it interesting that the Grandma fits the age of the mystery woman "Alice", age 61, who reported to the Oprah show. Mary is 74, so she would have been the correct age about 13 years ago. I'm not saying it is actually her that reported, but it certainly could have been a friend she confided in.

I thought the incidents took place 12-13 year ago. But, the email/fax to Harp was in 2006 making or so making Grandma Mary a bit too old.

I had the thought as well. But I think Grandma Mary is very loyal to the Duggar brand. Whether she likes or trusts Josh, I don't know, but I don't think she would tip off his crimes to anyone outside of the family.

Remember, Mary raised Jimbob, a man that most of us view as a buffoon, controlling, sexist, etc, who has made countless harmful decisions re: his children. I don't imagine Mary is just a sweet old lady hiding in the laundry room all day. She is part and parcel of the cult and she must approve of the decisions that JB has made or she wouldn't have stuck around.

Archived