IGNORED

Doug Phillips & Vision Forum & Lourdes - Part 2

happy atheist

And what do you want to bet that settlement will come with a non-disclosure agreement?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on the settlement train. When you start setting a lot of depositions people tend to be more amenable to settling. Yes, there will be a confidentiality agreement covering every party to the settlement. No lawyer in their right mind would allow a client to sign a settlement agreement without one.

Darn! It was just starting to really get fun! But I agree -- setting depositions is a tactic to encourage all involved to reach a settlement. Sigh.

Is this kind of information available online all over the USA? Does it depend on how online the county administration is? There are a few lawsuits slowly moving forward in my area, and I would love to see updates like these to have at least an inkling of what the current status is. But my county is pretty far behind when it comes to having information online. Can someone post links or guidance to how to find this equivalent info in other states/counties? TIA!

Darn! It was just starting to really get fun! But I agree -- setting depositions is a tactic to encourage all involved to reach a settlement. Sigh.

Here's to hoping that doesn't happen.

Gotta say I'm of mixed minds.

A settlement would probably be best for Lourdes & I certainly wish her well. She needs to get on with her life and a reasonable settlement offer will help her do that. OTOH, boy oh boy would I like to read those depositions! :popcorn2:

On a more serious note, I'd hate for a settlement to allow Doug-Phillips-Is-A-Rapist to rehab his image that much more easily. While he's a narcissist and would say anything, I could see him using a settlement as "proof" that nothing happened and that he never did anything wrong.

Gotta say I'm of mixed minds.

A settlement would probably be best for Lourdes & I certainly wish her well. She needs to get on with her life and a reasonable settlement offer will help her do that. OTOH, boy oh boy would I like to read those depositions! :popcorn2:

On a more serious note, I'd hate for a settlement to allow Doug-Phillips-Is-A-Rapist to rehab his image that much more easily. While he's a narcissist and would say anything, I could see him using a settlement as "proof" that nothing happened and that he never did anything wrong.

Yep, yep, yep. And Dougie's got a law degree and he's no slouch when it comes to the use of the threat of taking depositions. It's usually the last-ditch effort to scare everyone into a settlement. It's expensive and time-consuming and by that point in the game, everyone is tired and just wants to be done so settlement looks pretty good.

I wish there were some way all the VF misdeeds could come to light if Lourdes is granted a settlement. I know it's not likely due to a customary NDA.

FJ Legal Pros, could a workaround be done with a book deal or Lifetime movie? Now that Lourdes is divorced, would Nolan be party to the NDA? If not, could he write the tell-all without affecting her settlement? How would all this work if they happen to remarry?

I wish there were some way all the VF misdeeds could come to light if Lourdes is granted a settlement. I know it's not likely due to a customary NDA.

FJ Legal Pros, could a workaround be done with a book deal or Lifetime movie? Now that Lourdes is divorced, would Nolan be party to the NDA? If not, could he write the tell-all without affecting her settlement? How would all this work if they happen to remarry?

Signing a confidentiality agreement means no book deal and no Lifetime movie for Lourdes. You keep your lips zipped as to any information regarding the case. Nolan would not be a party to the confidentiality agreement regardless of whether they are still married as he is not a party to the action. The confidentiality agreement only includes parties to the settlement agreement. You are not a party to a settlement agreement just because you are married to the Plaintiff or Defendant. Nolan doesn't sign the settlement agreement. The problem with Nolan writing a book arises if he uses information Lourdes was supposed to keep confidential but told him once the settlement agreement was signed. He can't breach the agreement because he is not a party to it. He can't be sued. If Lourdes is breaching the agreement by telling Nolan information she is supposed to keep quiet, she is the one who could possibly lose the settlement proceeds she received. Honestly, no one would publish a book by either of them as this story is not big news. We are interested because we love all things fundy. No one else cares.

Yep, yep, yep. And Dougie's got a law degree and he's no slouch when it comes to the use of the threat of taking depositions. It's usually the last-ditch effort to scare everyone into a settlement. It's expensive and time-consuming and by that point in the game, everyone is tired and just wants to be done so settlement looks pretty good.

Has anyone on FJ ever found direct evidence of legal proceedings taken by Doug or VF/VFM against another party?

There's the time Doug/VFI/VFM sued Joe Taylor over alleged defamation or something in connection with an Allosaurus skeleton: http://lubbockonline.com/stories/011308 ... aLn396COK0

This blog has more detail: raisingthetruth.com/villainy-behind-the-mask-of-virtue-written-by-mary-gavin-terry-beh/

But can anyone point to a court document?

But can anyone point to a court document?

It sounds like VF threatened to sue pretty much everyone involved with the allosaurus, and they folded for various reasons. The fossil museum owner stated he believed it was un-Christian for there to be a lawsuit between "brothers", and from the articles that came out at the time, it sounds like he settled before anything actually got filed in a court.

I've done some looking around, and I haven't seen any actual lawsuits aside from the Lourdes Torres one. The parties to that will almost certainly have to sign a confidentiality agreement, but that I don't think that would stop someone not connected to the lawsuit from telling his or her own stories about goings-on at VF.

As one poster mentioned, major pubs may not be interested, but I suspect it would get some interest if self-pubbed on Amazon or somewhere like that.

CnD, why are you acting like you don't know anything?

CnD, why are you acting like you don't know anything?

Because I actually don't have direct knowledge of some things I've heard rumors about. I've been doing some digging but nothing so far. I figure some of the legal sleuths here might have found something I missed.

Sorry, CnD, based on your posting history, I don't believe you.

That's ok. I'd buy you lunch and sit down to talk with you if you were in my town despite that.

Well, bless your heart, so nice of you to ask.

I suspect that one reason this will be settled is that it would be horrible for the Phillips children to hear in court what their father actually did, and for Beall to be dragged through it all again. There would be all sorts of personal pressure on Doug to settle, rather than go to trial -- because of the collateral damage to his family. We may like or not like the kids, but they are suffering from this to a certain degree.

Also, if it went to trial, anyone could research or find out exactly what Doug did; this way, there is still a weasely out where he can claim he's the victim of false charges.

I'm still curious about how things settled with the insurance company and who is deemed liable for damages. Maybe the insurance co just settled because it is cheaper than a protracted battle? I'm sure there is some type of cost/benefit analysis that is carried out.

From our side, it would be painful for Lourdes to have to recount in public the things that were done to her; I'm glad she will not need to do that.

I suspect that one reason this will be settled is that it would be horrible for the Phillips children to hear in court what their father actually did, and for Beall to be dragged through it all again. There would be all sorts of personal pressure on Doug to settle, rather than go to trial -- because of the collateral damage to his family. We may like or not like the kids, but they are suffering from this to a certain degree.

Also, if it went to trial, anyone could research or find out exactly what Doug did; this way, there is still a weasely out where he can claim he's the victim of false charges.

I'm still curious about how things settled with the insurance company and who is deemed liable for damages. Maybe the insurance co just settled because it is cheaper than a protracted battle? I'm sure there is some type of cost/benefit analysis that is carried out.

From our side, it would be painful for Lourdes to have to recount in public the things that were done to her; I'm glad she will not need to do that.

He's too much of an egoist to settle for the sake of his family. I'm surprised he isn't counter-suing.

^^^

Probably too expensive to do that AND go to Europe and Washington, DC for WWII commemorations...

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived