IGNORED

Duggar Fox News Interviews - Mild, Inappropriate Lying

happy atheist

(A side note, it really creeped me out the way Jessa had a sort of smile when she said Josh was 'sly' about how he molested them. Like him being smart or 'sly' was a good attribute to have, even in this context.)

Agreed. As many have pointed out, she seems detached from the incident and I'm certain the lack of therapy (amongst living a life in the dark in Duggarville) exacerbates it.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a therapist unless I get a referral from Children's services their almighty selves,when I hear about abuse of a minor I make a new report. It is only ethical and it will cover your own behind. Only way u can be sure is to make a report. U might be first to report it or have new info lacking in prior investigation. We even call it a historical report, just covering all the bases cuz ppl do lie to therapists for various reasons and say oh it was reported. Then maybe Cyfd investigates maybe not but ideally that's what happens.

Oh good god!

I've been following this board since several days after the scandal, and I have yet to see anyone, even remotely say, that the girls deserve to be outed for this. IMO this is just another way to deflect responsibility from Boobchelle for causing all this in the first place. I've only seen maybe a few people talk about the details and in that case I scroll past the comments and ignore them because I'm not comfortable dealing with it.

In Jill and Jessa's case, you're damn right I'm going to speak up when they minimize molestation because anyone with a functioning brain knows for a fact that all sexual predators test their victims with touching. Then they move on to worse things. What Jill and Jessa said is harmful to not just abuse survivors, but kids who are being harmed right now. Yeah, there are kids out there who aren't Duggars, remember?

I don't believe in speculating about the victims, and that includes presumptions about their mental ability to make decisions for themselves. Until a psychiatrist deems the k'dults unfit to look out for their best interests and puts a legal guardianship on them, I have no reason to believe they are coerced into doing anything. Anyone with two eyes and common sense could see from Jill and Jessa's interview that they were desperate to make the most of an opportunity to lash out at the media and cover up for Josh and Boobchelle. Fine, that's their choice. But then it's my choice to think critically about them and what they say, because if I feel lied to, you're damn right I should be able to speak up about it.

It should never be forgotten or dismissed that the Duggars have harmed people. Not just Boobchelle. Jill and Jessa have also said things that are abusive and harmful to women who have had abortions and LGBTQA people. Where's the empathy for the people they've hurt, and the families they've harmed with their hate speech? They're sitting there trying to diminish Josh's actions but have told other people they're going to hell? Get real, people. These aren't wilting flowers in desperate need of rescuing. They are wallowing in the Christian supremacist haterade and are just pissed now because they aren't being rewarded for simply existing. Get over it, girls. I faced homelessness, poverty, and had to deal with my own psychiatric issues on top of that when I struggled to escape my own fundy hell hole. Nobody gave me a pass for anything stupid I ever said or the mistakes I made. If I ended up prostituted, incarcerated or dead I have no doubt all the Duggars and leg humpers would preach personal responsibility and say tough luck. So excuse me for being fresh out of sympathy for fundy princesses who are willing to sell sexual abuse victims down the river to save face for their family. Disgusting. :evil:

But at least one of the girls said, when the parents 'told' the girls about what happened, that it made sense because she once remembered waking up to see Josh taking away the blanket. I don't remember there being anything to identify which daughter said that, but it has been bothering me ever since. I don't know how you could wake up enough to see your brother taking a blanket off you while sleeping and then just fall back asleep. You wouldn't be woken by being cold? By seeing someone who wasn't supposed to be in your room? And by what, given the context, was almost certainly followed by 'inappropriate touching'? She woke up enough to see him and remember it later, so I don't know how that could have been dismissed by her as unimportant. It was important enough in her mind to bring it up when later having a conversation about the sexual abuse that had occurred. Maybe she didn't want to admit that she remembered what happened because these families teach that women who don't "cry out" are at fault for abuse? And if she was asleep at the time, the blame for the abuse wouldn't have fallen on her.

It's possible this is denial. But it's also plausible. The victim who mentioned the blanket in the police report stated that she was sleeping in the living room. So it's not like Josh was in her bedroom or somewhere totally inappropriate. So it's possible that he was touching her, realized she was waking up and moved his hand away quickly. She's not awake enough to realize what he's doing. It's not natural to assume that your brother is molesting you so she assumes he has a reason to move the blanket. Maybe she thinks it's odd but she lives in a tiny house with already too many kids practically on top of each other and is exhausted from helping take care of the babies. So she just gets as much sleep as she can. But later hearing the incident described by Josh (or Josh's description given by her parents) jogs her memory.

Obviously, they are not above lying and trying to make this sound like something it isn't. So I'm not saying that she didn't know or doesn't remember. Just that it's possible she doesn't.

It's possible this is denial. But it's also plausible. The victim who mentioned the blanket in the police report stated that she was sleeping in the living room. So it's not like Josh was in her bedroom or somewhere totally inappropriate. So it's possible that he was touching her, realized she was waking up and moved his hand away quickly. She's not awake enough to realize what he's doing. It's not natural to assume that your brother is molesting you so she assumes he has a reason to move the blanket. Maybe she thinks it's odd but she lives in a tiny house with already too many kids practically on top of each other and is exhausted from helping take care of the babies. So she just gets as much sleep as she can. But later hearing the incident described by Josh (or Josh's description given by her parents) jogs her memory.

Obviously, they are not above lying and trying to make this sound like something it isn't. So I'm not saying that she didn't know or doesn't remember. Just that it's possible she doesn't.

One time, when I was 14, I fell asleep with my head in a guy's lap in our mutual friend's living room. I woke up to him touching my breasts (impressive, as I was wearing a down jacket and two sweaters) and him jacking himself off with my hand. I woke up. I definitely woke up. I just ran in to my friend's bedroom and slept on the floor. It's different to someone touching your shoulder while you're sleeping; you're subconsciously aware that it's an area you need to be defensive of. It's a private area. I think nowadays I wouldn't care, but then I was definitely more wary of people touching my chest. Even while I was sleeping.

My point of the above post being that you're likely to wake up from that sort of thing.

You know, honestly, if a 14 year-old boy touches a 14 year-old girl's boobs, who cares? Even a 12 year-old girl who is consenting. Inappropriate while she's sleeping, as that's not with consent. But if a 14 year-old boy touches his nine year-old sister's "boobs" while she's sleeping, NOT OKAY.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but when you're 14, kids who are even a year younger than you look and seem considerably younger. Even at my age, someone three years younger than me feels much younger. The age gaps at that age are exaggerated.

Also - how dare the Duggars totally gloss over that there were events that happened while the girls were awake. One of them involving a five year-old. Having finally watched parts of the bloody interview, that's what gets me the most. The laundry machine incident? Wouldn't we all like to pretend that didn't happen, but it happened under their roof, under their magic umbrella of responsibility and protection. And then they felt compelled to preach their malicious crap on television and paint their family as wholesome. They felt that they had the right to tell other families how to live. Gansjkgfkasdbgawgkfd

All the Duggars say "whenever" instead of "when." It's one of the things that pisses me off the most. However, someone on here a few years back said that it's common for people in that area to say "whenever" instead of "when."

I've always questioned how authentic the Bible can be after being translated and edited for thousands of years. Hell, the Duggars can change the meaning of a phrase in less than a generation! Lol. "Whenever" instead of "when" makes a HUGE change to their little history for any outsider looking in.

Jana was 13 with 10 younger siblings to watch, including a very young infant. I really doubt that the sister moms would have been left in charge for too many hours unsupervised. Too much can go wrong with that scenario. Plus, it was probably one of those situations where they had family friends over, which meant even more kids. The girl who was touched on the couch was probably an older girl from the other family.

My understanding is that ma & pa were out with grandparents.

I wonder if Jana feels responsible for this. Since she was the oldest girl. I don't think boys were prohibited from babysitting prior to these incidents. But still. Looking back with all the years of caregiving, she may feel responsible for not preventing it. Mom certainy isn't going to take responsibility.

And I'm not suggesting for a moment that they deserved it. Only that it couldn't be helped because of the situation their parents put them in. If they weren't all reality show stars no one would have been interested in pulling the report, it wouldn't have been published, and no one would have identified the victims.

The law is what it is. It was Jim Bob's and Michelle's reckless behavior, especially in light of the secrets they were keeping, that created the entire situation, not the FOI law, not the police, not the city attorneys, not even In Touch because if it hadn't been them, someone else was bound to get wind of the story and start digging.

I don't think that it should be understated though that the real reason that this all came out was because of their very vocal political views. They positioned themselves in the perfect storm with Josh being at the FRC, JChelle and the robo calls, the reality tv show.

But, it wasn't the reality tv show that brought them down. It was what they did on their own with the platform of their notoriety.

I feel bad that Jill and Jessa were coerced by their parents to do this interview to help make Josh look like the victim and to help keep their show on the air. The girls had no way of looking good from this interview because they were trying to cover for their parents, and at the end of the day there is no good way to spin Jim Bob and Michelle covering up for their son's continual molestation of young girls and protecting him from legal action. Michelle and Jim Bob were wrong and did a very bad thing by not going through the authorities and it came at the expense of the 5 victims and Josh.

I don't see how these interviews could have possibly helped the Duggars keep their show.

What is really odd is that they do not realize how odd and cult`ish that they come across to the normal person. They have a pride level that they feel holier than thou and that they were untouchable and that's not how things work.

I have no doubt in my mind that the parents, if not all the Duggars, truly believe that all they have to say is that Josh is "cured through God" and "all is forgiven" for people to get back on their side.

Edited because I forgot to finish what I was saying.

And that in a way is how they JB & J`chelle got so prideful that they thought they were untouchable. They view things from the perspective of 'what is proper for them and their lifestyle', they had forgiven him, God had forgiven him, the girls had forgiven him, so it was over. They hold their own values as being the absolute and final authority.

That's what happens with these kind of people. They eventually believe what they want to believe and are so use to telling others what to believe (and surround themselves with only people who believe EXACTLY what they think) that they see no other side, nor any other possibilities. It is a very high sense of pride. An absolute kind of pride. A mind set.

I don't think they were coerced at all. I think Jim Bob set 'em both down and said, "Hey guys, Mom and I are gonna do an interview and explain that Josh made some mistakes with that mild touching we told ya'll he did when you didn't remember, and they want to know if you girls will help explain that Jesus has forgiven Josh and you weren't really bothered by it at all. Don't mean to scare you girls, but the show is on the line here and we need to make sure everybody understands that you are way more upset about what the liberal media is doing to you than those few little incidents over your clothes when you were sleeping way back 12 years ago when Josh was just a curious young boy."

And they were happy to comply. I do wonder about what Ben and especially Derick, thought of their wives doing the interview but am guessing that, as for now, Jim Bob is pretty much their headship too. This probably won't change until money from the show is no longer flowing and everyone is fending for themselves.

Joy wasn't interviewed because she's a minor and Jinger wasn't interviewed because it sounds like she experienced the worst of it. And she seems so emotionally fragile these days that I can't imagine her being able to spin away the assaults the way the other two did. Also, being unmarried, JB probably didn't want to highlight her status as a sexual assault victim, possibly minimizing her chances with potential fundie suitors.

BTW, I don't believe for a second they slept through the assaults. And I don't understand how Jim Bob could possibly know that the girls who were touched directly on their genitals only experienced a 3 second assault. This is a desperate, obvious attempt to further minimize what really happened to the victims. To his own daughters.

I can't help thinking about Jana. With the two girls coming forward, then it is very clear who the victims were and that Jana was not.

I still have to wonder if JB & M are keeping Jana as the pure one for some reason. The girls interview solidified that. I wonder if that was in some way on purpose. Maybe to remove all doubt as to who the victims were. Stranger things have happened with that family. And the two girls were already married, so maybe JB figured that that wasn't a problem really anymore if they outed themselves. Is it a coincidence that the two girls in the interviewed were the only two that are married?

I can't help thinking about Jana. With the two girls coming forward, then it is very clear who the victims were and that Jana was not.

I still have to wonder if JB & M are keeping Jana as the pure one for some reason. The girls interview solidified that. I wonder if that was in some way on purpose. Maybe to remove all doubt as to who the victims were. Stranger things have happened with that family. And the two girls were already married, so maybe JB figured that that wasn't a problem really anymore if they outed themselves. Is it a coincidence that the two girls in the interviewed were the only two that are married?

Was Jana the one that told her parents and not their brave and wonderful Josh (barf), like their parents claim?

Oh good god!

I've been following this board since several days after the scandal, and I have yet to see anyone, even remotely say, that the girls deserve to be outed for this. IMO this is just another way to deflect responsibility from Boobchelle for causing all this in the first place. I've only seen maybe a few people talk about the details and in that case I scroll past the comments and ignore them because I'm not comfortable dealing with it.

In Jill and Jessa's case, you're damn right I'm going to speak up when they minimize molestation because anyone with a functioning brain knows for a fact that all sexual predators test their victims with touching. Then they move on to worse things. What Jill and Jessa said is harmful to not just abuse survivors, but kids who are being harmed right now. Yeah, there are kids out there who aren't Duggars, remember?

I don't believe in speculating about the victims, and that includes presumptions about their mental ability to make decisions for themselves. Until a psychiatrist deems the k'dults unfit to look out for their best interests and puts a legal guardianship on them, I have no reason to believe they are coerced into doing anything. Anyone with two eyes and common sense could see from Jill and Jessa's interview that they were desperate to make the most of an opportunity to lash out at the media and cover up for Josh and Boobchelle. Fine, that's their choice. But then it's my choice to think critically about them and what they say, because if I feel lied to, you're damn right I should be able to speak up about it.

It should never be forgotten or dismissed that the Duggars have harmed people. Not just Boobchelle. Jill and Jessa have also said things that are abusive and harmful to women who have had abortions and LGBTQA people. Where's the empathy for the people they've hurt, and the families they've harmed with their hate speech? They're sitting there trying to diminish Josh's actions but have told other people they're going to hell? Get real, people. These aren't wilting flowers in desperate need of rescuing. They are wallowing in the Christian supremacist haterade and are just pissed now because they aren't being rewarded for simply existing. Get over it, girls. I faced homelessness, poverty, and had to deal with my own psychiatric issues on top of that when I struggled to escape my own fundy hell hole. Nobody gave me a pass for anything stupid I ever said or the mistakes I made. If I ended up prostituted, incarcerated or dead I have no doubt all the Duggars and leg humpers would preach personal responsibility and say tough luck. So excuse me for being fresh out of sympathy for fundy princesses who are willing to sell sexual abuse victims down the river to save face for their family. Disgusting. :evil:

The Duggar kids were brainwashed to believe it was no big deal, that it wasn't Josh's fault, and that Jesus forgave him so they had to as well. The girls were not given proper sex education and they were not given proper help with their abuse healing.

And, no, not anyone with brain function knows the same things you know about molestation. Especially those who were molested AS CHILDREN and told (either outright or through people's reactions) that it wasn't a big deal, that it was their fault, or that they just needed to get over it. All the girls were CHILDREN when they were victimized and they were taught as CHILDREN what it means to be a victim in their culture. And it's not like Jessa and Jill have had an opportunity to really talk to someone with actually knowledge on the subject, who isn't an apologist. Jessa's in laws are apologists, Megyn Kelly is an apologist, all of the TLC people who helped cover this up are apologists, all their political friends are apologists, all of their church friends are apologists. It's not like these girls are surrounded by supportive people.

The Duggar kids were brainwashed to believe it was no big deal, that it wasn't Josh's fault, and that Jesus forgave him so they had to as well. The girls were not given proper sex education and they were not given proper help with their abuse healing.

And, no, not anyone with brain function knows the same things you know about molestation. Especially those who were molested AS CHILDREN and told (either outright or through people's reactions) that it wasn't a big deal, that it was their fault, or that they just needed to get over it. All the girls were CHILDREN when they were victimized and they were taught as CHILDREN what it means to be a victim in their culture. And it's not like Jessa and Jill have had an opportunity to really talk to someone with actually knowledge on the subject, who isn't an apologist. Jessa's in laws are apologists, Megyn Kelly is an apologist, all of the TLC people who helped cover this up are apologists, all their political friends are apologists, all of their church friends are apologists. It's not like these girls are surrounded by supportive people.

I doubt that they have ever encountered anyone (in a position of respect and trust) in their world that would ever tell them that it wasn't their fault. And they have been programmed from birth to only listen to like minded people.

And that in a way is how they JB & J`chelle got so prideful that they thought they were untouchable. They view things from the perspective of 'what is proper for them and their lifestyle', they had forgiven him, God had forgiven him, the girls had forgiven him, so it was over. They hold their own values as being the absolute and final authority.

That's what happens with these kind of people. They eventually believe what they want to believe and are so use to telling others what to believe (and surround themselves with only people who believe EXACTLY what they think) that they see no other side, nor any other possibilities. It is a very high sense of pride. An absolute kind of pride. A mind set.

They are narcissists. Plain and simple. The Bible doesn't matter. God doesn't matter. They believe "God is calling" them to do XYZ, despite a smackdown, despite it being non-Bible based. They believe they are so special that God has given them information, nay REVELATIONS, that He hasn't given anyone else. That why Gothard or Scientology slooooowly doles this horse ca-ca out, for money, farther down your brainwashed journey. I don't follow the Bible, so I don't claim to understand it all. But they never follow their own rules. Pretty conservative Christian establishments have said Gothard is NOT Biblically based, but they continue down that road. They live in a world of lies and coverups. It is a way of life. If you know the right people, God will have them cover your sins up for you. But in doing so, you aren't forgiven, you are obliged... Are those really the people you think God wants you around? (I'm pointing at YOU, Huckabee.) Some of these godly men would make a good career of the mafia.

I'd love to question the Duggars on many points in their life when God called them to do things...

#1. M's miscarriage cause this WHOLE lifestyle trainwreck. So shouldn't they then have seen Josie's premature birth and health problems as a sign to STOP? God only knows what other signs you've had that the viewing public isn't told because it doesn't uphold your underlying belief structure.

#2.Shouldn't they have seen their son's "inexcusable mistakes" as a sign to change their beliefs and reach out to those who care about children, rather than want them to be robots for Gothard?

#3.Shouldn't losing an election, seeing a family friend lose election after election, and the loss of EVERY candidate and issue you support tell you to STOP messing in politics? Your own Bible tells you that GOD creates the government of Man. Who are you to question a democracy, when time and time again, your side loses out. Maybe God is telling humanity that we are ready for it, especially with the fall of the USSR & the bs in the theocratic Middle East.

It is their own hubris that brought these issues to light. It is the hubris that people are criticizing. They are NOT listening to God. They are listening to their own Ego & Id. I'd say Superego, but I don't think any Duggar has developed one.

I remember many times growing up being harrassed by Bible thumpers in the South. They seriously believe they are right, you are wrong, and if they beat you with the Bible enough, you will break. Or they end up claiming martyrdom when their "mark" finally yells at them or worse. (They don't see how their drama insults Christ's and other martyrs' suffering and makes their struggles meaningless.) This is what is happening to the Duggars. They are finally getting publically yell at for not backing off.

Edited for errors and added snarkiness.

I don't think that it should be understated though that the real reason that this all came out was because of their very vocal political views. They positioned themselves in the perfect storm with Josh being at the FRC, JChelle and the robo calls, the reality tv show.

But, it wasn't the reality tv show that brought them down. It was what they did on their own with the platform of their notoriety.

The reality show is what gave them the springboard to the platform. Without it, likely no voice for the Duggars. And no question, they've been getting bolder and bolder these past few years.

But the OP's concern was about the identification of the victims, not the perp and his parents. The only reason they are such public victims is because of their reality show fame. There was no way to shield their identities or provide them any privacy because of it.

The reality show is what gave them the springboard to the platform. Without it, likely no voice for the Duggars. And no question, they've been getting bolder and bolder these past few years.

But the OP's concern was about the identification of the victims, not the perp and his parents. The only reason they are such public victims is because of their reality show fame. There was no way to shield their identities or provide them any privacy because of it.

Yes there was. If the redacted police report had kept the fact that the victim were Michelle and JB's kids blocked out instead of showing them, we wouldn't know that 4 of the 5 were his sisters. Sure, people would speculate, but they wouldn't know; and that's a huge difference.

As a therapist unless I get a referral from Children's services their almighty selves,when I hear about abuse of a minor I make a new report. It is only ethical and it will cover your own behind. Only way u can be sure is to make a report. U might be first to report it or have new info lacking in prior investigation. We even call it a historical report, just covering all the bases cuz ppl do lie to therapists for various reasons and say oh it was reported. Then maybe Cyfd investigates maybe not but ideally that's what happens.

Good points. (And we don't use text speak on FJ.)

I can't help but feel that both of the married girls should have waited to have children. I know it is against their culture and religious beliefs, so it is a small chance that they would have waited, but I can't help but see a certain pattern of women getting themselves in a situation where they are unable to leave or change their minds later after having many children.

It seems to me that besides lack of education, that this is one of the really stifling things that this cult does. It traps them with their own choices to a certain degree.

Yes there was. If the redacted police report had kept the fact that the victim were Michelle and JB's kids blocked out instead of showing them, we wouldn't know that 4 of the 5 were his sisters. Sure, people would speculate, but they wouldn't know; and that's a huge difference.

I disagree. The police report has to indicate where the offenses happened. So even if they had taken a further step and blocked out the fact that four of the victims lived at home with Josh's parents, everyone would have easily guessed that some of the victims -if not all of the victims - were Josh's sisters given how insular the family is and the fact that it happened over a long period of time. The Duggars would have faced just as much scrutiny and they would had to admit four daughters were the victims. And lets not forget that quite a few people outside of the family knew that Josh had confessed to molesting his sisters.

There was no way around this getting out once the accusations against Josh were confirmed. And the interest in the victims is based on their fame which stems directly from the fact that they are reality show stars because their parents pimped them out as young kids, despite knowing that the molestation facts would be made public if someone in their circle spoke out. And because they never went through the system with their son, the police report was never sealed and remained available as Josh was an adult when it was completed.

No one in the public forced the girls to speak out.

IMO, if you're brainwashed and childlike as an adult, you should not be getting married or having children of your own. In addition, you probably should avoid going on national TV to talk about being molested as a youngster too.

Yep, they're all dysfunction. It's a shame JB was such a loser father and headship to his children. It's a shame that those young ladies' husbands did not intercede. It's very, very sad that those girls have their own children.

IMO, when your belief systems reach a certain level and you're forcing those beliefs on developing minds, it's child abuse.

The things JB and M have done to their children are criminal-

Jana was eliminated when Jill was labeled a victim. One of the girls was getting ready to get her GED and hadn't been touched. Jill and Jana were the only ones even close to getting their GEDs at the time of the investigation. So, it was always a matter of which of those 2 wasn't a victim.

I read that interview as being John David, not Jana. The whole working on cars thing and all.

The one working on cars was not the one who said they were getting their GED.

I read that interview as being John David, not Jana. The whole working on cars thing and all.

There were multiple interviews with Duggar children. Here is a general breakdown:

- One child stated she was assaulted in the laundry room.

- A second child stated they were assaulted while being read a book.

- A third said they were assaulted while sleeping.

- A fourth remembers waking up on the couch when Josh removed the blanket covering her.

- An older child, likely a daughter, stated they were close to earning their GED and they were not assaulted by Josh. This is also the child who stated they were out to dinner with their parents, grandparents, and some other children when someone (possibly a victim or Josh) called to ask them to return home because Josh needed to beg for forgiveness. This likely happened the same day as the assault on the youngest victim.

- An older child, likely JD, stated they were unable to tell Detectives who the Elders their father spoke with about the situation were. This is also the child who stated they enjoyed working on cars.

- A younger child, possibly a Howler, stated that it was ok to be touched on the butt if you were being punished. This is the child who stated their parents used a rod or something similar to punish them.

There were also conversations with Michelle and JB, as well as interviews with the fifth unidentified victim and, I believe, the person who found the letter. I could be missing some, but I believe that's the basic idea.

Archived