IGNORED

The Duggar Interview - With Megyn Kelly

twin2

Buzzard will be posting her live-recap of The Interview here.

Feel free to continue to persecute the poor, poor Duggars.

For the pre-game analysis see:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26202

Note: This thread is to specifically discuss the Megyn Kelly interview and reactions resulting from it. For general discussion on the issue not related to the interview, please use the main thread.

Edit: here's the link to all of the recap posts:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243&start=200#p960234

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243&start=280#p960328

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243&start=340#p960383

Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243&start=400#p960452

Part 5: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243&start=420#p960483

Preview of Friday with Jill and Jessa: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243&start=440#p960492

Full recap below:

J'Megyn does the Duggars - Part 1

Megyn is wearing a red shirt... no cleavage.

She welcomes us and says that "hours ago" she sat down with the Duggars, discussed the allegations from 12 years ago. She issues a trigger warning.

She gives an overview of the Duggars, saying that they seemed to live a "charmed life" - reliable, responsible. They were homeskooled - shows shots of boob playing with littles in fall leaves - Shots from way back when - frumpers...

They rose to prominance when boob was in the house of reps. In 2004 they had the series documentaries, then the hit series. Lots of shots from TLC shows... including strict courting rules, no hand holding etc. Shot of Michelle in 2014 saying that its a great plan to be pure for your wedding day and then you get to enjoy the physical aspects of the relationship.

The program WAS an enourmous hit, drawing millions of viewers... but with celebrity came controversy... abortion (shot of boob holding josie up as DQ blathers in her blue shirt) "there is a baby holocaust taking place"... gay marriage Josh saying that the american family is at stake, marriage is central to the family and every child deserves a mother and father... and emphasis that women should submit to their husbands (shot of michelle smiling like a stoned deer in headlights). There have been petitions to cancel, but the ratings soared. Jill's wedding had 4.4 milion viewwers... then... in touch DUM DUM DUM... shots of the police report that she says was ILLEGALLY released.

She goes through the details of the report and that they include the sisters. He went to elders and rehab. No formal investigation until 2006 when the SOL was up, no charges.

Josh issues an apology. Anna and DQ/Boob issue statements... they read them.

The media "pounced"... shots of ebil liberal media calling them out for being hypocrites.

Megyn - why would a family with such a sekret have a show...

And now, boob and Michelle... Michelle is wearing her usual blue shirt with a black t shirt beneath it. Both boob and Michelle have professional makeup on and her hair is uber crunchy. Boob is wearing a green shirt.

Megyn - take us back to 2002. How did you first learn that there was a problem with josh?

Boob - Well, 12 years ago we went through one of the most darkest times that our family has ever gone through

(michelle pensively looks up in sadness and concern). Our son, josh, came to us on his own crying and had just turned 14 and said that he had improperly touched some of our daughters.

Michelle - we were shocked, we were just devastated. I dont think any parent is prepared for a trauma like that and I think we had one ray of hope in theat josh came and shared on his own even though the others didnt know anything of his wrongdoing.

Megyn - this is a young boy who has come to you with shockin ginformation. WHat did he say and how did you respond? WHat was that like?

Michelle - There was so much grief in our hearts, I think as parents we felt "we're failures we tried to raise our kids to do whats right, to know whats right" and here, one of our children made REALLY BAD CHOICES and, as a parent, we were devastated.

Megyn - did he explain why?

Boob - He said he was just curious about girls and just went in and touched them over their clothes while they were sleeping. THEY DIDNT EVEN KNOW HE HAD DONE IT! (bullshit) and so we went and the first thing was to protect the girls.

Discussion about where the girls slept.

Boob - we really talked to him and then talked to the girls

Michelle - it was so important for us, as parents, to talk our girls and make sure nothing else happened. One by one, none of them were aware of Josh's wrongdoings.

Megyn - at this point, how many had he done this to?

Boob - that was to two

Megyn - neigther had any recolection

boob - no

Megyn - what was their reaction when they learned it from you?

Boob - they really didnt know. What happened was we asked them first if anything happened and then it was after some other things happened that we shared with them... at first we tried to deal with this in house, as parents we were in shock. We were trying to figure out what was the next step. Looking back, WE DID THE BEST THAT WE COULD under the circumstances. At that point, nobody knew about it, we thought "what do we do?"... we talked to him, put "punishments" on him, watched him all the time, I took him to work with me, we just poured our life into him.

Megyn - were you scared? Were you worried when you went to bed?

Boob - nothing like that happened again in the girl's bedrooms. We had safeguards that protected them from that... there were 2 different insances where girls were laying on the couch and he had touched over the couch and touched their breasts while they were asleep... as we talked to other parents a lot of families said they had similar things happen in their families. For us, this is public shame that our son did this, 12 -13 years ago...

Megyn - when you heard the behaviour resumed, what was that like?

Boob - we thought at first that josh was on the road to mend but he was still a kid, he wasnt an adult. There were a couple more times where he came and told us what he had done and we were devastated. All these, again, this was not rape or anything like that. This was touching over the clothes, a few instances touching under the clothes. It was liek a few seconds and then he came to us crying. It was after the 3rd time where we felt like we had done everything as parents and we need to get help. We went to outside folks and asked very close friends to come over, we talked about it. We pulled josh out of the home.

We knew of a man who mentored young men, who helped young men who made unwise choices in their lives to get straightened out. He was running a training center in little rock. Under the roof was little rock police and a prison ministry. He could do construction work and he would counsel him, and get him straightened out.

Megyn - some people have said why did they wait, why didnt they go to the authorities or go for counseling at the very first time he came to you

Boob - You know, I talked to someone who worked at those juvenile, youth, sex offender facilities... the success rate is not very good. We felt like that, going from a perspective of reaching his heart first would be important.

Megyn - Did legal ever pop into your mind?

Boob - as parents youre not mandatory reporters. The law allows for parents to do whats best for your child so we got him out of the home and we sent him down to this place and that was the best decision we made through this whole process. He was at this place, he just turned 15, and he came into himself and god worked in his life. He asked god to forgive him, he asked other he offended to forgive him, and the last jurisdiction was the law.

megyn - the subsequent incidents involved daughters who were awake.

Boob - there were a couple, yeah, and they didnt really understand.

Michelle - it was really his heart, his intent, he knew that it was wrong but they werent even aware. It wasnt to them, they didnt understand that it was an improper touch.

Megyn - the ultimate one, before you really got help, was a very young daughter... a single digit. What was that like for you to hear? YOu must have thought this was a pubescent boy, he's testing. But when he did that to a young daughter.

Boob - right, at that point, thats when we pulled him out of thehouse. And said he cant be here and he went through working with THAT MAN...

Megyn - when he was done with the counseling, not a licensed therapist, a christian based...

Boob - Christian based, but I'll tell you what, it really had a huge impact on his life and it was the turning point on his life.

Megyn - before Josh went away, and they all knew ... what was that like, what was the dinner table like?

Boob - we tried to make things as normal as we can but we were keeping an eye on josh.

Megyn - prior to him leaving, were you concerned for the safety of your daughers?

Boob looks to michelle.

Michelle - well we definitely put safeguards in our home.

Boob - we also talked to our daughters and reminded them about wrong and right touch and that they...

Michelle - they had a safe place to share their heart. We were trying to protect and watch and make sure that their hearts were safe and at the same time putting boundaries and putting safegueards up

Boob - we werent giving up on josh...

J'megyn saves the Duggars part 2

Megyn - the duggars were faced with questions including what to tell police and how to protect their children

Did it feel at all like a sophies's choice?

Boob - we felt like our son's heart had gone astray. Jesus shared a story... sheep... going after one... as parents we loved josh "and our other ones" we had to make sure that josh didnt make wrong choices.

Michelle - it doesnt mean that youre not a good shephard, jesus was a good shephard but he went after one that went astray. We were doing the best we could to protect these and go after one... blah blah... devastated.. .we have to send him out. He has to go and get help. It was that evening when they left and took him, he was weeping and shared what he had done and we were weeping... and the little one was like "whats wrong?" The next day and for days I said 'josh has done some very bad things (tearless crying) and hes very sorry."

Boob - I was thankful, and the ray of hope was... josh came and told us and his heart was still soft. We wouldnt have known if he hadnt came and told us. None of the victims really knew about this or understand what he had done...

Megyn - what about that jim bob, as a parent, do you feel guilty when you learned that his behavior had continued and other girls had became victims?

Boob - yes. We, I think as parents you feel like a failure when one of your kids does something wrong. You feel like "If I had done more training, or maybe something else" this wouldnt have happened but the truth is that kids will make their own choices and they will make decisions even though youve taught them right and wrong

Megyn - I'm talking about, as the father of your girls not the father of josh. It must have been very hard to look at your little one and know that the behavior had been ongoing.

Boob - right. I was so thankful, though that josh came and told us and that our girls, even though this was a bad situation, as we;ve talked to other families that have had other things happen, a lot of their stories were even worse.

Megyn - just to clarify, it was 4 daughters and a babysitter, and you notified her...

Boob - right, he called her and asked for forgiveness. She didnt know that had done anything either. It was more like just a, fondling, touch, while they were asleep for most of them and there were 2 incidents when they were awake. It was a bad thing. It was something we'd like to forget.

Megyn - let me move back to therapy. You sent josh to this treatment center. Was there more therapy for josh and the girls?

Boob - yes. What happened was, when josh came back from little rock, the last step was to make things right with the law because he had broken the law. We took him down to the local police station, the closest one to our house, and walked in and talked to a man there.

Megyn - what was that like? How do you make the decision as a parent to bring your child to law enforcement and turn him over

Boob - we felt like it was an important step for josh to confess to the police what he had done because he had broken the law and if we didnt do this that this would be something hanging over his head for the rest of his life...

Megyn - was that terrifying?

Boob - it was very terrifying. We didnt know if they were going to arrest him at that point or what they were going to do...

Michelle - and now, we were waiting to hear... we didnt know if they were going to come...

Duggars make it all better part 3

Megyn - How did you choose the person to whom you would surrender him? Because theres been some question about whether you chose a friend, someone you knew who would go easy on him

Boob - I had a towing business for years so I did know officers. We went into headquarters, went in and talked to him... we took a witness with us and he shared everything... we had no idea what that officer was going through...

Megyn - did you have any idea what the officer was going through...

Boob and Megyn reinforce that Boob knew nothing about it.

Boob - I was questioning why he would say it (that Josh hadnt told everything). Maybe he'll get out on parole or something. We took a witness... he told everything

Michelle - He said "if you continue down this path you are going to destroy your life and you could end up in prison.

Megyn - when that was over... you thought it was over

Boob - we didnt know. A few weeks went by, months went by... someone called the hotline...

Megyn - we'll get to that but I want to talk about counseling. Was that the only counseling he got and what about your daughters?

Boob - no, Josh actually went and had complete

Michelle - All of our children recieved professional counseling after this, including josh who paid for his own counseling himself

Boob - from an accredited, professional counselor.

Megyn - did you feel, when josh had been though all of this, and he emerged, did you feel that he was a threat?

Boob - not at all

Megyn - did you ever worry that the treatment didnt work

Boob - no. Josh was a changed person

Michelle - and we still had those safeguards in place (you mean the ones that didnt work?) I mean, its like, there were a lot of things that changed. This first son... to come to this place... things we learned even since then... we dont let boys babysit, they dont play hide and seek... your'e not alone in a room iwth someone else. Little ones dont sit on big boys laps or even family members, unless its your daddy ... we just, theres boundaries that we've learned.

Lies, LIES! ALL LIES! Part 4

Shots of duggars in frumpers walking in a line...

In 2004 they gained national media attention. In 2006 things almost unraveled. Someone lEAKED the story... reads the email. Harpo called authorities... police reports... the family told police the truth. FIVE victims were interviewed and they denied further abuse. SOL had run and case was closed.

Megyn - its all behind you and then in 2008 you launched the show. What would make you launch a tv show about your family given this past

Boob - you know, back in early on, it was after all this was taken care of in 2002-2003. A magazine came and asked to do a story...

Megyn - are you thinking "wait, this may not be a good idea"... cameras discovered things

Boob - we had nothing to hide. We had taken care of this years before and when they asked us to do the reality tv show all this had been taken care of 5 years before and we had a clean bill of health from the state

megyn did any of the girls or josh say "hold on mom and dad"

Boob - we had no fear because we hadnt, everything was taken care of. It was a sealed juvenile record. They told us all this was sealed and under law it couldnt come out

Megyn - did you live in fear that this could come out?

Michelle - I dont know that we lived in fear because it was resolved, forgiven, we had moved on in life

Megyn - when you heard that, in late may, that the story had broken and you hadnt been given a heads up, that they were going to do this, what was your reaction?

Boob - I said "god, I know that there are a lot of families out there that are hurting and you know what, this isnt something we wanted to come out but if people can see that josh, who did these very bad things when he was a young person, god can forgive him for these terrible things, then I hope other people realize that god can forgive them and make them a new creature.

Megyn - do, do you - was there any motivation for this police chief, that you know of, to want to hurt your family?

Michelle - I figure there must be an agenda

Boob - I dont know if there was a bribe or a personal agenda

Michelle - it definitely wasnt to be caring about the victims

Megyn - have you had any prior dealings with her?

Boob - I think josh had talked to her one day at a meeting and she turned and wouldnt talk to him. She was getting ready to retire... she said there were a few things I want to do before I retire... I think I was on the list.

Megyn - any chance of you suing her or the city for this disclosure?

Boob - we're talking to some attorneys and we'll see. The big picture is protecting juveniles records, we want to be an advocate for protecting juveniles records (not victims of sex abuse) because the mistakes juveniles make when they're young should be sealed.

Megyn - how has this effected your daughers?

Boob - our daughters were shocked. It crushed them at first. They didnt want this out. No victim wants their minor story to be told. Every victim should have the right to have their own sotry told, not a tabloid.

Megyn - the main story we've heard has been they are hypocrites, they preached family values... they had this secret and they werent honest

Boob - I dont think you go up to total strangers and say "hi, my name is so and so and i want you to know what I did as a child." Every family has things happen in the familes. Some have darker things than other.

Megyn - what the critics are goin gfor is you shouldnt be preaching moral values, calling other people sinners when you in fact are sinners

Boob - our son violated god's principles of doing improper touching. Thats terrible, but its been recently said that what josh did was inexcusable, but its not unforgivable.

Megyn - Mike Huckabee said that. I know he is a friend of your family. Michelle, let me ask you, because you were in the news for making a robocall that suggested trans people would go into the bathrooms and may be child molesters... how could you unfairly in their view, suggest they are child molestors, knowing what you know about josh.

Michelle - I think that protecting young girls and not allowing men and young men go into a girl's locker room is just common sense

Megyn - But this is different because you injected child molestation into it

Boob - I think you actually said pedophile. A pedophile is an adult that preys on children. Joshua was 14 and had just tuned 15. The legal definition is 16 preying on a child. He was a child preying on a child. We do not view josh as a pedophile.

Megyn - what I'm asking you is can you understand the critics reaction to this news.

Michelle - every one of us has done something wrong. Thats why jesus came. I feel like this is more about ... pause... pause... theres an agenda... pause... and theres people that are purposing to bring things out and twisting them to hurt and slander

WE'RE BEING PERSEQUOOOOTED!!!!!!!!!! Part 5

Megyn - do you think that the backlash has been greater because of who you are and what you stand for?

Michelle - I think some out there do

Megyn - do you think in particular your christian beliefs are at issue here

Boob - I think as people on the outside think well, christians are supposed to be perfect... no, all of us, as christian struggle everyday

Megyn - what happenes to the duggars from here?

Boob - I dont know if the rest of our family should be punished for the act of one of our children 12 years ago... we are fine whether they film us or not... we're going to go on and live life and serve god and make a difference in the world

Michelle - enjoy our children and enjoy our grandchildren and continue on with life. Either way we are at peace.

Megyn - do you think the show will be cancelled has TLC given you any indication?

Boob - at this point our family is just trying to regroup from these attacks and when you are in every newspaper thoughout the world, its an unprecedented attack on our family and it was actually this informatio was released illegally... so I'm wondering why all these press is not going after these system for releasing the juvenile records. That is a huge story. What our son did 12 years ago is a major story to them too, but hopefully justice will be served on the ones that released juvenile records to protect other juvenile to prevent their records from being released.

Megyn - it must have been terrible. I'm sure youre going through hell right now.

Michelle - I think whats so devestating as a momma, for me. We took our children to the safety center, the children's safety center. We trusted them, the police department. Our children poured out their hearts, they shared everything (I thought they didn know anything...) and then to have their trust betrayed, for all their informatio to be turned over to a TABLOID! Shared in a slanderous way... as a mom that breaks my heart because this... they've ben victimized more than they WERE 12 YEARS AGO because they didn tknow then. In our hearts we havent been keeping secrets, we were protecting them and now, for people with an AGENDA in a for whatever profit they're going to get... god will use all of this for good...

Boob - thank you for telling our story.

Preview of friday - Jill and Jessa

1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse

3 out of 4 of those abused were victimized by someone they know

Researchers say that most young offenders are male and between the ages of 12 and 14. A 2009 analysis showed taht 85-90 % never are arrested for a sex crime again.

If you know a victim in need of help call 18004224453

In a stunning follow up... we sat down with 2 sisters, jill and jessa.

Jill - crying - we're victims, they cant do this to us

Jessa - a system that was set up to protect kids... its greatly failed.

Friday at 9 PM

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not watching this because I will get a rage aneurysm but based on Jessa's comment, I wonder how many times they will use the word "victim" while still arguing that Josh is not a perpetrator.

can someone keep count?

Thanks for doing this, Buzzard!

I may or may not be doing my drinking game as we go!

For those of you who arent familiar with my recaps, this is how it will go:

I will type what is happening as fast as I possibly can. I dont spellcheck (because speed...) and write it as I see it. I'm generally about 5 minutes behind live and hit "submit" at commercial breaks. So, I'll post in segments a few minutes behind the airing.

I expect that this will be text heavy so it may take me a bit longer. I apologize to those of you who cant/wont/shouldnt watch live if I'm a bit slow. I want to get as much as I can.

Generally my comments are in parentheses or caps but I'll join the discussion later.

Buckle up folks and bring your shovel. The shit is deep... it is stinky... and its about to get thrown.

I am not watching this because I will get a rage aneurysm but based on Jessa's comment, I wonder how many times they will use the word "victim" while still arguing that Josh is not a perpetrator.

can someone keep count?

what is the point to call yourself a victim - and think that you are - and not think that your brother is the perpetrator

that is some serious denial and shit

seriously

Jessa needs help

Cheers Buzzard, I'm sitting in my office in Melbourne, Australia keen to see what kind of hot mess this turns out to be!

I am really disturbed by the family congregating around the table with Megyn.

This should not be a "happy Duggar family gathering". This should not be "put on the brave face" interview. This should be a very serious, mea culpa interview. Include M&JB and if they must, Jill and Jessa. But leave the others out of this!!!

I am really disturbed. By this whole thing...like all of y'all. But this is down right...I don't even know...

FUCKED UP!!!!

For those of you who arent familiar with my recaps, this is how it will go:

I will type what is happening as fast as I possibly can. I dont spellcheck (because speed...) and write it as I see it. I'm generally about 5 minutes behind live and hit "submit" at commercial breaks. So, I'll post in segments a few minutes behind the airing.

I expect that this will be text heavy so it may take me a bit longer. I apologize to those of you who cant/wont/shouldnt watch live if I'm a bit slow. I want to get as much as I can.

Generally my comments are in parentheses or caps but I'll join the discussion later.

Buckle up folks and bring your shovel. The shit is deep... it is stinky... and its about to get thrown.

Are we allowed to post comments as we watch? Or is that frowned on?

Thanks for doing this, Buzzard. I was going back and forth about watching, and was leaning more toward watching until Jessa's statement about people being too hard on Josh being released. Now I'm sure I'll get too mad for it to be healthy for me to watch. I won't even turn on the TV lest I get tempted!

I'm not watching but the whole family is gathered around? I thought it was just going to be JB and Michelle

Are we allowed to post comments as we watch? Or is that frowned on?

Posting is always encouraged. If you want to call them out, do it! No one has to wait for me. We have no rules.

I'm being told that the server is holding steady right now, but maybe lay off the "like" button for a little bit to help out if things get wonky.

So it airs at 9pm eastern does that mean it will air at 6pm pacific? do I really want to watch this while making dinner?

So it airs at 9pm eastern does that mean it will air at 6pm pacific? do I really want to watch this while making dinner?

T minus 5 minutes.

Ladies and Gentlemen, pour your drinks!

Are the duggars at the beginning of the hour? I hate to give them any more ratings than need be.

Thank you so much for doing this!

Does anyone have a livestream link handy? How about the liquor of choice for when things get to "blessed"?

Yes, 6pm Pacific...I saw it on our listings. (I'm in Nevada)

I had to do a test channel switch...make sure FoxNews comes in on my tv. It has never been put to the test before!!!

Here we go...

"Topics discussed not intended for young viewers."

Only young victims, apparently.

DISGUST.

Edited for quotes.

I am really disturbed by the family congregating around the table with Megyn.

This should not be a "happy Duggar family gathering". This should not be "put on the brave face" interview. This should be a very serious, mea culpa interview. Include M&JB and if they must, Jill and Jessa. But leave the others out of this!!!

I am really disturbed. By this whole thing...like all of y'all. But this is down right...I don't even know...

FUCKED UP!!!!

Yeah it should, be it's not going to be.

And doing things that are FUCKED UP, is kinda the unofficial Duggar brand along with side hugs.

EDITED to take out extraneous word

Archived