IGNORED

Kristina (of Keepsakes) Starting to Homeschool

0 kids n not countin

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I'm glad she said it was all in the plan, and I hope it's really positive (rather than worrying she's failed etc).  Really happy for her kids, that they'll get the opportunities she was denied

THIS

It takes a big person to put the best interests of her children over ingrained beliefs and personal desires.  I'm really glad to see that she is doing what she can to ensure that they have the best possible future.

• Upvote 16

It's good to see her admit she is human and do what is best for the kids. This is a good thing.

To be honest, I think far too many fundie women put their agenda and ideals above their kids and push through sub par homeschooling to keep the whole image thing going.

Good for Kristina and her family.

• Upvote 9

I had to go look her up.  I remember her!  I read her blog, but didn't follow her to her facebook page.  So she ended up with 5 kids, in what, 7 years?  And selling Tupperware, too.  No wonder she found herself too busy to homeschool.  I'd be too tired to do anything but sleep the second I got the kids to bed.  I'm glad she considers sending the kids to school to be a positive thing, and not a failure.  I think her family life will be the better for it, though.  She'll have more time for running her business, keeping the house, and selling her Tupperware, not to mention more time with the two children still home with her during the day.  She'll still be a huge part of her kids education, too.  Making sure they get in classes with teachers that best fit her children's personality and needs, helping with homework (and all those diorama's!), etc.  Maybe she could volunteer to chaperone on the occasional field trip, too.  

My kids dad could always be counted on to volunteer on anything that took the kids hiking, or trips to the fish hatchery, or the natural history museum.  

I used to make little cakes for the class parties.  I'd bring them to the class with tubs of frosting and candies and let the kids decorate their cakes.  My kids were always popular with their classmates when class parties were coming up.  I also would send the kids to school with treats for their classmates on their birthdays.

One year a man with an old apple orchard decided that the trees were getting too old to produce, so he made it known that he was letting the public pick the pick the trees clean the following weekend, then he was cutting them down.  I got to him and got permission to bring the kids there the Friday before.  It was too late to arrange for buses, so me and a couple of other parents started calling around and got a bunch of parents to provide private transportation and we were able to take several classes to the orchard for an hour to pick apples.  Although only a few classes got to make the trip, we were able to pick through the apples and wash them, and every kid got to take some apples home at the end of the day.  

Kristina is creative, I bet she'll find ways of her own to put her stamp on things.  Schools can always use parents like that.

• Upvote 4

I just tried reading her blog for the first time, I lost interest pretty quick. I was also bloody disgusted at the lack of compassion and cruelty she has for animals, don't want 13 kittens, get them spayed and neutered, if you can afford that don't get 3 cats. 

• Upvote 4

Well, good for Kristina for admitting she was overwhelmed and putting the older kids in school.  I expect it is a private Christian school, but that was a huge step for her, and Josh of course, to take.

@3_and_counting, I am impressed.  I know you said it was a possibility if you found homeschooling too much, but I'm very impressed that you followed through.  It is for the children's well-being.

I'm so glad Kloe is enjoying school and I expect Brayden and Raegan will enjoy it too once they have settled in.  You can now focus on giving the younger ones a good educational start too, while developing your Tupperware and rustic furniture businesses, and keeping house.

This thing that has always frustrated me about Kristina is that she is bright and has such potential.  I remember tearing a strip off her earlier in this very thread because I thought she was being obstinate and pig-headed about home schooling given the number of children and her own lack of education.  I never mind being proved wrong though.

• Upvote 6

23 hours ago, Luvmyskinnyjeanz said:
I just tried reading her blog for the first time, I lost interest pretty quick. I was also bloody disgusted at the lack of compassion and cruelty she has for animals, don't want 13 kittens, get them spayed and neutered, if you can afford that don't get 3 cats. 

I'm not exactly sure what you mean as far as my lack of compassion and cruelty for animals? I love animals...but that being said, when I was living at home, we had outdoor cats to control the mice population that comes from living in the woods. They weren't my responsibility to spay or neuter.

22 hours ago, Palimpsest said:
Well, good for Kristina for admitting she was overwhelmed and putting the older kids in school.  I expect it is a private Christian school, but that was a huge step for her, and Josh of course, to take.
@3_and_counting, I am impressed.  I know you said it was a possibility if you found homeschooling too much, but I'm very impressed that you followed through.  It is for the children's well-being.
I'm so glad Kloe is enjoying school and I expect Brayden and Raegan will enjoy it too once they have settled in.  You can now focus on giving the younger ones a good educational start too, while developing your Tupperware and rustic furniture businesses, and keeping house.
This thing that has always frustrated me about Kristina is that she is bright and has such potential.  I remember tearing a strip off her earlier in this very thread because I thought she was being obstinate and pig-headed about home schooling given the number of children and her own lack of education.  I never mind being proved wrong though.

The kids are doing very well in school. It's not a private school, it's our local Elementary school.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed tapatalk signature.
  • Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, 3_and_counting said:

The kids are doing very well in school. It's not a private school, it's our local Elementary school.

That is an even bigger step.  I'm so glad you were able to make it.  Thanks for the update, Kristina.  Your children are all very cute.  Kloe looks so grown up. :)

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Palimpsest said:
That is an even bigger step.  I'm so glad you were able to make it.  Thanks for the update, Kristina.  Your children are all very cute.  Kloe looks so grown up. [emoji4]

She acts it too. Lol. She is very bright. In the first 2 days of school she had read 1 book and had 20 sight words memorized.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 13

Aw.  Go Kloe!  I think she must take after her Mom. 

• Upvote 2

I'd never heard of this family before but I just love it when people put their children's well being first. School is great for kids, it's only a couple hours a day and they will get exposed to so many new ideas as well as make new friends. Go Kristina!

• Upvote 1

Wow!  This is AWESOME!  

Kristina, you and I have our differences, but you also have my respect.  Not only for being brave enough to come here and argue your position on occasion, but also because you are a truly good wife and mother who puts her family before ANYTHING.  You also are willing to honestly evaluate your own faults and limitations, and that is something that I will respect in ANYONE, because it is NOT easy to do.  The world would be a better place if more people were willing to do this, but so very few people are willing to admit to where they come up short.

I can't think of any other blogger on here whom I genuinely respect, so that means something.  To me, largely I am sure, as I think you are far too independent minded to really care whether or not some rando on the internet respects you (which I also respect), but for what it's worth: you have it.  

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Georgiana said:
Wow!  This is AWESOME!  
Kristina, you and I have our differences, but you also have my respect.  Not only for being brave enough to come here and argue your position on occasion, but also because you are a truly good wife and mother who puts her family before ANYTHING.  You also are willing to honestly evaluate your own faults and limitations, and that is something that I will respect in ANYONE, because it is NOT easy to do.  The world would be a better place if more people were willing to do this, but so very few people are willing to admit to where they come up short.
I can't think of any other blogger on here whom I genuinely respect, so that means something.  To me, largely I am sure, as I think you are far too independent minded to really care whether or not some rando on the internet respects you (which I also respect), but for what it's worth: you have it.  

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 2

Kristina, you're here?  Hi!  I enjoyed hearing about how you met your husband and your wedding.  I liked the flowers you decorated with, having a wedding on a budget is tough, but you pulled it off.  Now I see you have five beautiful kids!

Enjoy these years, kids grow up in double time.  Stop by when you can.  Merry Christmas!

Good for you Kristina.

Homeschooling isn't for everyone, and its good to see people put the children first and put them in school when homeschooling isn't working out.

I think fundie Christian culture makes homeschooling sound so easy and something every good Christian parent can and should do. In reality, it isn't that simple, and I imagine a lot of families struggle with this and aren't giving the children a quality education, due to peer pressure from other families in their church making them feel they have failed if they have doubts that homeschooling is the best thing for their family. Its a good thing to see children getting an education-and it doesn't matter where these children get an education, whether it is at home, private or public school, its the fact that they are getting one that matters. All the scaremongering about public schools is nonsense-I went to school, so do my kids, and its been a positive experience. Its important for children to make their own friends, and develop a bit of independence, and school is good for that. Part of parenting, is letting children explore the world, prepared by the values and teachings instilled in them at home, and trusting that they are being raised well enough to make good decisions, even when they are not supervised by their parents. The best time for that is when they are children, baby steps at a time, age appropriately of course, instead of waiting until they are grown and throwing them in at the deep end.

Plus, while the big kids are having fun at school, the little ones can get more quality time with their mom, and can do activities the bigger kids might be too old for. We went to all sorts of activity sessions aimed at toddlers, like storytime and craft sessions at the library, and had a lot of fun at home too. Also when she napped, it was quiet!

• Upvote 4

Good for your Kristina for doing what is right for your children. Part of life is growing and adapting as life changes, and way too many times fundamentalism(of all kinds) keeps people from doing that. It would be easy if there was a one size fits all box for life, but there isn't. What works for one person might not work for another. Glad you are willing to go with whatever works for your family. 

Your cakes look very nice. You have a lot of natural talent. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Flossie said:
Kristina, you're here?  Hi!  I enjoyed hearing about how you met your husband and your wedding.  I liked the flowers you decorated with, having a wedding on a budget is tough, but you pulled it off.  Now I see you have five beautiful kids!
Enjoy these years, kids grow up in double time.  Stop by when you can.  Merry Christmas!

18 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:
Good for you Kristina.
Homeschooling isn't for everyone, and its good to see people put the children first and put them in school when homeschooling isn't working out.

I think fundie Christian culture makes homeschooling sound so easy and something every good Christian parent can and should do. In reality, it isn't that simple, and I imagine a lot of families struggle with this and aren't giving the children a quality education, due to peer pressure from other families in their church making them feel they have failed if they have doubts that homeschooling is the best thing for their family. Its a good thing to see children getting an education-and it doesn't matter where these children get an education, whether it is at home, private or public school, its the fact that they are getting one that matters. All the scaremongering about public schools is nonsense-I went to school, so do my kids, and its been a positive experience. Its important for children to make their own friends, and develop a bit of independence, and school is good for that. Part of parenting, is letting children explore the world, prepared by the values and teachings instilled in them at home, and trusting that they are being raised well enough to make good decisions, even when they are not supervised by their parents. The best time for that is when they are children, baby steps at a time, age appropriately of course, instead of waiting until they are grown and throwing them in at the deep end.

Plus, while the big kids are having fun at school, the little ones can get more quality time with their mom, and can do activities the bigger kids might be too old for. We went to all sorts of activity sessions aimed at toddlers, like storytime and craft sessions at the library, and had a lot of fun at home too. Also when she napped, it was quiet!

Merry Christmas to you as well.

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:
Good for your Kristina for doing what is right for your children. Part of life is growing and adapting as life changes, and way too many times fundamentalism(of all kinds) keeps people from doing that. It would be easy if there was a one size fits all box for life, but there isn't. What works for one person might not work for another. Glad you are willing to go with whatever works for your family. 
Your cakes look very nice. You have a lot of natural talent. 

Thank you. I enjoy making the cakes, but sadly, no one likes to pay the prices that homemade cakes go for. So, I only get to make them for family pretty much.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, 3_and_counting said:

Thank you. I enjoy making the cakes, but sadly, no one likes to pay the prices that homemade cakes go for. So, I only get to make them for family pretty much.

I hate to hear that. People have gotten used to cheap, mass marketed goods that typically aren't as well made and they don't realize how much money and time it takes to make things well. 

• Upvote 4

Kristina, kudos to you for doing what's right and that you see this as a positive step as well.   Too many parents prioritize what they want versus what is best for their kids, and sometimes they won't admit something isn't working because they don't want to seen as failing.    That you put your kids first (not saying that you would not) is a very good thing indeed.  You should be proud of yourself.

Also sorry about the cake business but it's unfortunately true that many people don't want to pay for a quality item.  But your family is lucky to get to enjoy them.

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2015 at 10:31 AM, VodouDoll said:

Where I live (MI) you need to have a bachelors degree to homeschool, or claim a religious exemption because higher education is against your faith. Kristina would fall into the latter category, I'm sure. Probably a lot of people do, come to think of it.

"The annual reporting of a home school to the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is 
voluntary. It is not required unless the student is requesting eligible special education 
services from the local public school or intermediate school district."

"A parent or legal guardian reporting to MDE must have a minimum bachelor’s degree to be 
approved unless they claim a sincerely held religious belief against teacher certification 
(People v DeJonge). Reporting is required if the parent or legal guardian is seeking eligible 
special education services for their child(ren)."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.michigan.gov/documents/home_schools_122555_7.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjOksjDtfvQAhVO-GMKHV2aBcoQFggvMAI&usg=AFQjCNH8gFYsnwLJaoPAZyXFkWXbI0XdEA&sig2=QJ17EcUlndHiYAmAQmKiWg

I'm not a degreed law professional, but the law seems to state that you must have a bachelor's only if you report to the department of education, which is required if you request special education assistance from the state, but is otherwise voluntary. My best friend is from Michigan, and was homeschooled all the way through (and subsequently got an associate's degree because she wanted to)--no parental bachelor's involved. Granted, that was several years ago, which is why I looked up the current law.

Meh, I can't be too harsh on Kristina.  I've been around since the Arby's days.  

She comes from a somewhat dysfunctional family (sorry if you're reading here, Kristina, I don't say it to hurt you) and my view is that her courtship was an unhealthy way to get engaged.  BUT... she seems to have created a good life for herself.  Unlike a lot of blogs we follow on here, she seems to treasure her kids as individuals, is willing to face criticism head on and think about it (even if she disagrees completely), and as the years pass she seems to keep getting healthier and happier looking.  

We all say or do things that don't seem smart when you look back on it with the benefit of experience.  We all do a little bit of revisionist history - remembering the things we'd rather remember, and forgetting things we'd rather not.  

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, FormerlyFundyLite said:

"The annual reporting of a home school to the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is 
voluntary. It is not required unless the student is requesting eligible special education 
services from the local public school or intermediate school district."

"A parent or legal guardian reporting to MDE must have a minimum bachelor’s degree to be 
approved unless they claim a sincerely held religious belief against teacher certification 
(People v DeJonge). Reporting is required if the parent or legal guardian is seeking eligible 
special education services for their child(ren)."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.michigan.gov/documents/home_schools_122555_7.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjOksjDtfvQAhVO-GMKHV2aBcoQFggvMAI&usg=AFQjCNH8gFYsnwLJaoPAZyXFkWXbI0XdEA&sig2=QJ17EcUlndHiYAmAQmKiWg

I'm not a degreed law professional, but the law seems to state that you must have a bachelor's only if you report to the department of education, which is required if you request special education assistance from the state, but is otherwise voluntary. My best friend is from Michigan, and was homeschooled all the way through (and subsequently got an associate's degree because she wanted to)--no parental bachelor's involved. Granted, that was several years ago, which is why I looked up the current law.

Thank you for the correction/clarification.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Kristina updated on her public Facebook page.  All I can say is good for her.  : ;)

Decided it was time for an update.

I decided to dye my hair for the first time EVER! I went with medium reddish brown, and I LOVE IT! It took some time to get used to it, but once I did, I totally fell in love with the red tint.

The kids are doing AMAZING in school. Kloe is completely caught up to her class already, including having learned 62 site words since the middle of December! Her teachers do nothing but sing her praises. They said they are expecting her to be placed in the Reach program once she goes into 1st. Yay!!!  I can't help but to be proud! So for everyone that thought I failed as a homeschool parent...her teachers have said I did an amazing job schooling her, and that she was pretty much on key with the class, other than site words.

Brayden, and Raegan are doing amazingly well. They adore their teachers, and their teachers adore them. They now walk into school all on their own. Mommy is no longer needed in that department. I did get to enjoy their Valentine's day party with them.

Brianna is, as always, our little firecracker. We will find out today if she got a slot in the Pre-K program at the school. She is more than anxious, and ready to start school in August. Its so hard to believe she turns 4 this year!!

Caleb....whew...what to say about Caleb! I'm just kidding.  He is such a happy little kid. He turns 2 next week...NEXT WEEK, GUYS! Where did my baby go? He isn't going to know what to do come August when he will be the only kid at home with Mommy. But, I'm thinking he'll adjust pretty well.

Josh and I will celebrate 8 yrs of marriage this coming July. 8 YEARS! Seems like Just yesterday... We've had our share of drama through the years, but through it all...we've been there for each other. He is my rock, my shoulder to lean on, but the part I love the most...he is MINE!

And to end my post, an update on me. I have started the process of learning a second language. I have chosen ASL, and so far, so good. I have always loved the language, and always found it to be beautiful.

To answer some questions some of you may have...

1. No, I'm not pregnant again. Lol (Come on, you know you were wondering...)
2. No, there won't be another one soon. (You know you wanted to ask that too...)
3. No, we've not made a decision on whether we are done yet or not. (Again...you know you wanted that answered...)

Happy St. Pattys Day, y'all!!!

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...

Welp, looks like Kristina has decided to homeschool her kids again after having them in public schools for at least a couple of years.

Given that she has admitted that her own education was subpar, 

She's also deep in a MLM selling makeup.

I had hope for her. Now, not so much.

5 hours ago, copyed said:

Welp, looks like Kristina has decided to homeschool her kids again after having them in public schools for at least a couple of years.

Given that she has admitted that her own education was subpar, 

Wow...that took no time at all.  Amazing!

Okay, not that I owe any of you an explanation, let me share...

My daughter is being bullied, and is now suffering from panic attacks, and I am assuming some PTSD.   I refuse to push my daughter into a hostile situation, and scar her like that.  It’s just not worth it.

I am literally using a homeschool program that does everything for me.  I just have to make sure they do their assignments.  I have a very successful homeschool mom who has offered her help anytime I need it, as well as two certified teachers with degrees.  So, I am in a much better position to school my children this time.  And seeing as the kids are now older, and can handle the responsibility to make sure their work is done, it will go smoother.

Will I have rough days...sure.  Will there be times I regret it...sure.  But this is what is currently best for my children.  The local middle school that Kloe would be heading into next year is not a great school.  I have heard nothing but bad about it.  

So, there is the explanation that you weren’t owed.  My life has been extremely difficult over the last year and a half, 90% of which none of you know. (No....my marriage is great, there’s no trouble in paradise.)

5 hours ago, copyed said:

I think you all have hammered in the MLM thing enough.  But hey, whatever floats your boat.  I am doing my best.  Never once begged anyone to shop, or sent cold messages to people.  I genuinely just enjoy the product and share it.  

If it were possible for me to return to my job teaching at the Preschool I was at, I would.  But my husband’s truck broke down a second time after spending $3000 to get it fixed.  So...yeah. We’re down to one car right now, and if sharing my love of makeup (which I have become pretty good at btw) to help buy some groceries or put gas in the car...I’m going to do it ??‍♀️

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, 3_and_counting said:

I am literally using a homeschool program that does everything for me.  I just have to make sure they do their assignments.

I don't know much about public school in your state, but here in Idaho, there are virtual (online) schools that are public schools. They are a type of charter school, really. I don't know if that is something you might consider. 

My sister's kids all graduated from a virtual school, and it was a good experience for them. Most of them graduated with college credits from dual enrollment classes in high school. Since it is a public school, all the materials were provided, and the kids had great teachers. My sister was called their "learning coach", and she had some responsibility for helping them, but not as much as when she homeschooled the oldest kids for a few years.

I like to bring up virtual school on FJ from time to time, because quite a lot of people don't seem to have heard of it. It has many of the same benefits as homeschooling, plus many of the benefits of a traditional public school. Good luck to your family in all your endeavors!

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Kristina (of Keepsakes) Starting to Homeschool