IGNORED

Kristina (of Keepsakes) Starting to Homeschool

0 kids n not countin

I sure hope someone in her life talked to her about STDs, but I rather doubt they did. If I remember correctly the ex-girlfriend was pregnant when Ronny started dating her, so he didn't get her pregnant.

If Kristina had one or maybe two children she might be able to pull off homeschooling in the early years, but with that many kids and with such a poor education herself, I don't think she will be able to do it. One of the reason's Kloe might not know as much as an average five year old is because Kristina has been pregnant or caring for babies her entire short life. How much time as Kristina been able to devote to just Kloe and helping her learn?

Very true, crazy to think she was pregnant with twins within months of Kloe Kadashian's birth. How much can you devote to your baby when your sick with twins or struggling with three children under one ?!

Added to add that kloe does sound behind and it's crazy that Christina thinks she is so far advanced?!?

In Kristina's world, Kloe probably is advanced. We know we're not talking about a family of geniuses.

I understand the sacrifices people make for their child's education. We enrolled our son in private school when he was a few weeks old (for 11 years old) and with prices currently 30K I can only imagine what they will be in 11 years time. One reason we will only have 2 children.

Kristina should enrol her kids in public school. Lots of Christian kids go to public school. Or if she is so scared how about a cheap church school? From memory husband is minimum wage though?

It's crazy how much private middle and high school costs. $30k would have covered two years tuition when I was in medical school (not that long ago!)

It's crazy how much private middle and high school costs. $30k would have covered two years tuition when I was in medical school (not that long ago!)

Or my entire nursing degree...times two. Yeah it's crazy and lots of families start in Pre K!

In Kristina's world, Kloe probably is advanced. We know we're not talking about a family of geniuses.

Agree!!!!

Agree!!!!

Maybe, but in the real world, she's behind unless she has learning difficulties. Of course, if her children did have learning issues, it's not like they'd actually seek the services to get them help.

And to the person above who said Kristina hasn't had the time to devout to Kloe...that was precisely my point. And agree, how will she be able to homeschool her children properly when one, she's not so great with education herself, and two, she is too busy to even see to it that her three preschool-aged children can say their ABCs and can count from 1-10? That's something most parents teach their 1-2 year old children. If she sent them to a real preschool they would learn them and much more. Things Kristina would never even think to teach them. Same with public school, where I really wish she would send them starting next year. Kloe would REALLY benefit from it. It's not evil, really, Kristina. Promise. She'll make lots of friends and learn lots of new things. They went to college for at least four years to teach children. They know what they are doing. Let them teach Kloe penmanship, reading/writing, math, science and history, and later teach the other children the same, and you can focus on teaching them religion and caring for your children still at home. I think they live in Georgia, right? Bet most of her teachers will even be Christians, just like you all.

Sometimes I really worry about her. With everything going on in her family, her health issues (she looks so frail!), all those kids with no end in sight, and financial issues, I fear she's going to snap one of these days. Homeschooling is just another burden.

I've always had a soft spot for her though.

Sometimes I really worry about her. With everything going on in her family, her health issues (she looks so frail!), all those kids with no end in sight, and financial issues, I fear she's going to snap one of these days. Homeschooling is just another burden.

Agree!! Couldn't have said it better myself!

How the heck does an almost-5-year-old not know all their numbers and the ABCs?! :angry-banghead: I don't want to sound like the obnoxious mom that brags about her kids, but man! My son is a year older than she is (362 days to be exact) and has already been reading for over a year (books like the "Frog and Toad" series, the Thornton Burgess animal books, Elsa Beskow, various kids' science books and this old set of "Young Explorers" books that National Geographic put out in the 70s) and we're about to start doing 2-digit addition and subtraction problems. How does Kloughweeigh not know things my son knew when he was 2??? :pink-shock:

How the heck does an almost-5-year-old not know all their numbers and the ABCs?! :angry-banghead: I don't want to sound like the obnoxious mom that brags about her kids, but man! My son is a year older than she is (362 days to be exact) and has already been reading for over a year (books like the "Frog and Toad" series, the Thornton Burgess animal books, Elsa Beskow, various kids' science books and this old set of "Young Explorers" books that National Geographic put out in the 70s) and we're about to start doing 2-digit addition and subtraction problems. How does Kloughweeigh not know things my son knew when he was 2??? :pink-shock:

Given how education is not only de-emphasized but almost looked down upon by hardcore fundies, I'm not at all surprised that a 5 YO doesn't know her numbers and ABCs. Why should she? It's not like she's going on to higher education and a career in a STEM field. All she'll be expected to do is exactly what her mother is doing and she sure doesn't need much more than a rudimentary education for that. Somewhere along the line though, this is all going to collapse in on itself, as each successive generation gets even more dumbed down. It's just not sustainable.

I was told about a new topic on me and my family, so I came to check it out.

If you read what I put on my fb page, I clearly said that Kloe can RECOGNIZE all of her alphabet and can RECOGNIZE almost all of her numbers 1-10. I never said that she didn't know them. She knows all of her alphabet, knows way more than just 10 numbers, knows all her colors, her basic shapes and some advanced shapes. She knows what primary colors are and is learning to write her name. She is 4. In my book, thats not behind. She is right where every other 4 yr old is around her. (Yes, including the ones who actually go to school)

I will say it once again, assumptions get you nowhere.

I only plan to homeschool until I can no longer do it. I can handle the basics. I have taught kids to read, write and how to do math...i'm not completely out of my element here. I can handle it. Once I get to the point where I can no longer teach them a decision will be made on what to do at that point.

How do you plan to tell when you are no longer able to teach adequately?

Around here, for any options other than public school to be viable, this decision would have to be made at least a year out. Usually, more time is needed because the parents need to determine the school they want, go through the application process, have the kids tested/interviewed, and acceptance is well before the start of the year.

I know many homeschooling mothers review the curriculum in advance, but if you plan to transfer, it seems to me that you would have to have at least an idea on how far to homeschool fairly soon that you can get your ducks in a row well before it comes into play.

Also, have you examined the curriculum of local schools to make sure that your curriculum keeps pace so that when they transfer, they will be able to keep the same grade?

How do you plan to tell when you are no longer able to teach adequately?

Around here, for any options other than public school to be viable, this decision would have to be made at least a year out. Usually, more time is needed because the parents need to determine the school they want, go through the application process, have the kids tested/interviewed, and acceptance is well before the start of the year.

I know many homeschooling mothers review the curriculum in advance, but if you plan to transfer, it seems to me that you would have to have at least an idea on how far to homeschool fairly soon that you can get your ducks in a row well before it comes into play.

Also, have you examined the curriculum of local schools to make sure that your curriculum keeps pace so that when they transfer, they will be able to keep the same grade?

The curriculum that I will be using for this coming year is on point with what schools teach around here.

I'm thinking I can get them through at least 2nd grade with no issues. As I go to purchase new curriculum each year I do plan to compare it to what schools are teaching.

The curriculum that I will be using for this coming year is on point with what schools teach around here.

I'm thinking I can get them through at least 2nd grade with no issues. As I go to purchase new curriculum each year I do plan to compare it to what schools are teaching.

Thanks for the response! I went to a private, Christian school for grades K-12. I know from being in the system that many private, Christian schools can be incredibly tough to get into. I knew families who were on the waitlist for years for mine. My concern is simply that it may not be as easy (or even possible) to transfer the kids into private schools as you may think now.

Around here, the schools have enrollment times: Kindergarten/1st grade, Middle School, and High School. At that time, ALL applicants are considered and classes are formed. At all other times, spots were opened by attrition only. Preference is generally given to families moving into the area. I don't think at any time during my education were there more than a handful of spots open per year. Some years, there were no spots open.

If I were you, I would talk to potential schools NOW to see what their admission policy is. If it is similar to what I described above and predicted to be competitive, you may need to either enter your kids when they open enroll (even if you would have liked to teach them longer) or consider backup options.

I also went to a private christian school from K-12 and quite frankly hell would have frozen over before I would have ever let my own child even near a school like that. It's the reason why I never allowed my child to go to church. It's also the one thing that I will never forgive my parents for doing to me. I shiver when I hear people thinking about sending their precious child to a christian school. But it is what it is.

Unfortunately I have to concur with others here who have pointed out that Kristina would likely not listen to any sort of reason when it comes to the education of her children. My SIL was somewhat the same. Barely got through highschool, then "homeschooled" her son. Didn't go so well.

Hi, Kristina.

Caleb is cute and I wish you the best with your homeschooling endeavors. Which curriculum did you decide on in the end?

Alpha and Omega Horizons with the media pack.

What are you trying to accomplish by homeschooling your children "until [you] cant?" Why not just send them now and supplement anything you feel they need to learn? Early education is extremely important and transitioning from a home environment to a school setting can be hard when they have never been in such a situation.

[tm][/tm]

What are you trying to accomplish by homeschooling your children "until [you] cant?" Why not just send them now and supplement anything you feel they need to learn? Early education is extremely important and transitioning from a home environment to a school setting can be hard when they have never been in such a situation.

What I hope to accomplish is being able to spend more quality time with my kids a little longer and, I can teach them up to a certain point. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't teach them if I am capable of doing so. I know when I will no longer be able. Believe me, my kids will get their education, and I want to take part in that even if it's just for a little while.

[tm][/tm]

What I hope to accomplish is being able to spend more quality time with my kids a little longer and, I can teach them up to a certain point. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't teach them if I am capable of doing so. I know when I will no longer be able. Believe me, my kids will get their education, and I want to take part in that even if it's just for a little while.

But thats just it, YOU want to spend time with them. It may not be whats best for THEM. Children need to interact with other children, learn conflict resolution, express frustrations and communicate with people they dont know. They also build peer groups which they will miss out on, causing more difficult socialization when they are older.

School isnt just ABCs, there are life lessons there too. You may be able to teach them to count to 100, but you cant teach them what its like to deal with a new kid who wants to play with your ball. They have to experience that.

Kristina, please tell me someone talked to Jessica about STDs.

But thats just it, YOU want to spend time with them. It may not be whats best for THEM. Children need to interact with other children, learn conflict resolution, express frustrations and communicate with people they dont know. They also build peer groups which they will miss out on, causing more difficult socialization when they are older.

School isnt just ABCs, there are life lessons there too. You may be able to teach them to count to 100, but you cant teach them what its like to deal with a new kid who wants to play with your ball. They have to experience that.

My children do get that interaction. Just because it's not on a daily basis doesn't mean that they don't get it at all. There are several children at our church that is their age that they see twice a week and have interaction with. I also plan to get involved with a local homeschool group in our town that has field trips and functions.

Kristina, please tell me someone talked to Jessica about STDs.

Considering Jessica is a woman over the age of 30, I'm pretty sure she knows what STD's are and how you get them. She's not ignorant of that.

Btw, it's not my place to talk about my brothers relationships. I definitely don't want to be placed in the middle of it all. So please, don't ask me to answer anymore.

Considering Jessica is a woman over the age of 30, I'm pretty sure she knows what STD's are and how you get them. She's not ignorant of that.

Btw, it's not my place to talk about my brothers relationships. I definitely don't want to be placed in the middle of it all. So please, don't ask me to answer anymore.

Fair enough. I asked because I know a woman who was raised in a conservative, homeschooling home and whose husband left her and came back. She didn't realize she was supposed to ask about STDs and caught one. Anyway I understand why you don't want to talk about your brother.

Completely other topic, but have you found that in the circles you run in, there are a lot of people defending the Duggars? Or are they upset that the Duggars covered up their son molesting small children? I'm actually surprised how many fairly mainstream Christians I know who are acting like it isn't a big deal for parents to cover up their son molesting children.

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Kristina (of Keepsakes) Starting to Homeschool