IGNORED

Kristina (of Keepsakes) Starting to Homeschool

0 kids n not countin

From Kristina's "Everything Nice" Facebook page:

As I prepare to start Kloe, Raegan and Brayden in preschool in August I am finding that I am probably more excited than they are. Kloe is going to be a breeze to teach as she already knows and identifies all of her alphabet and almost all the numbers 1-10 and I am sure she will love learning to write all of them. Brayden and Raegan aren't very far behind her and are beyond excited to start school.

Those poor kids. Pretty scary to think about the "quality" of education they will be receiving. :think:

Edited by Coconut Flan

Those poor kids. Pretty scary to think about the "quality" of education they will be receiving. :think:

Maybe she can get some coyotes to fill in the gaps in her own knowledge.

Agree!

Oh, Lord Jesus... Mrs. Soak and Wet is gonna teach her speshul snowflakes.... Someone needs to stage an intervention.

"Kloe" ????

That hurts me on a visceral level.

I never know quite what to think of this girl. She seems decent hearted, but very dim at the same time. I'm familiar with the Arby's engagement, and the family issues discussed here that made her flip out. I wonder if she ever caught that spy? ;) Her husband seems a little off, like the militia living in rural Montana type of off. I have no problem with homeschooling as long as the person doing it is licensed to teach in a public school in their state. Otherwise, I think you are fooling yourself and doing a disservice to your children. There is obviously no degree of any type in sight here. I still honestly don't know how I feel about her. And that's rare for me. I usually have a strong opinion one way or the other with fundies.

• Upvote 1

I never know quite what to think of this girl. She seems decent hearted, but very dim at the same time. I'm familiar with the Arby's engagement, and the family issues discussed here that made her flip out. I wonder if she ever caught that spy? ;) Her husband seems a little off, like the militia living in rural Montana type of off. I have no problem with homeschooling as long as the person doing it is licensed to teach in a public school in their state. Otherwise, I think you are fooling yourself and doing a disservice to your children. There is obviously no degree of any type in sight here. I still honestly don't know how I feel about her. And that's rare for me. I usually have a strong opinion one way or the other with fundies.

I don't know if she is dim or if she has just been so poorly educated that she appears that way. Didn't she admit her mother gave her a horrible education?

The brief time her husband's FB page was public made me think he is one of those folks who mindlessly buys into every single conspiracy theory that suits his belief system and he will not be swayed by facts and reality.

Anyone know what happened with her brother, his new wife and his ex-wife? Last I remember he had broken up with the new wife and was trying to get back with the old wife. I really, really hope that she did not take him back.

Ah, Kristina. I too wonder what happened with her brother, worry about what happened to his ex-wife and kids, and want to know whether she ever found her mole.

I don't think Kristina is dim. I think she is really quite intelligent and feel sad that she has been so badly educated. I think her obstinacy and pig-headedness probably get in the way of her expanding her horizons. She has been taught, brain-washed, to fear the outside world and that doesn't help at all. I still find her very irritating. She is a self-satisfied and arrogant little ignoramus.

Caleb is cute. I suppose it is no use hoping Kristina and Josh will stop procreating and enjoy the 5 kids they already have?

Nah, I thought not.

• Upvote 1

These people live too close to me and I am terrified they vote.

• Upvote 2

Not everyone is qualified to be an educator. Having 2 X chromosomes does not mean you are suitable to teach your kids.

I struggle to explain my ideas in a way that makes sense to others, I am impatient, and I become easily frustrated when having to repeat myself. I am NOT a good fit for teaching children, mine or anyone else's.

Kristina is NOT well educated or even sufficiently educated. She is not a good fit for teaching children either. She simply does not possess the skills necessary to teach beyond the basics because she barely grasps the basics herself.

Preschool is whatever. Not all kids go to pre-school anyway. But I hope that when it comes time for them to REALLY start school that she gets them into a real school.

• Upvote 1

Ah, Kristina. I too wonder what happened with her brother, worry about what happened to his ex-wife and kids, and want to know whether she ever found her mole.

I don't think Kristina is dim. I think she is really quite intelligent and feel sad that she has been so badly educated. I think her obstinacy and pig-headedness probably get in the way of her expanding her horizons. She has been taught, brain-washed, to fear the outside world and that doesn't help at all. I still find her very irritating. She is a self-satisfied and arrogant little ignoramus.

Caleb is cute. I suppose it is no use hoping Kristina and Josh will stop procreating and enjoy the 5 kids they already have?

Nah, I thought not.

That is the perfect description of her. Even when she did change her mind, she was too stubborn to admit she did.

Nah, I thought not.

He is courting his ex wife and they're in looooovvvvveeeeee.

As for Kristina homeschooling, I sincerely believe it's a combination of being dim and uneducated herself. She was sheltered and her family fell hook line and sinker into fundie life (well, the women did, the men do whatever the hell they want) and never looked back. Well, actually, her sister tried to get out...so mostly it's Kristina and her mom who are fundie drones and eat whatever they're spoon fed.

Those poor kids. I honestly feel sorry for them and anyone who may have to deal with them when they are adults, who will be worse off than their parents since they're the next generation.

He is courting his ex wife and they're in looooovvvvveeeeee.

As for Kristina homeschooling, I sincerely believe it's a combination of being dim and uneducated herself. She was sheltered and her family fell hook line and sinker into fundie life (well, the women did, the men do whatever the hell they want) and never looked back. Well, actually, her sister tried to get out...so mostly it's Kristina and her mom who are fundie drones and eat whatever they're spoon fed.

Those poor kids. I honestly feel sorry for them and anyone who may have to deal with them when they are adults, who will be worse off than their parents since they're the next generation.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I'm sure this is just another case of him saying "I repented, God forgave me." and so she forgives him too. It is mighty coincidental that he wanted to come back to his first wife right after he lost his job, was homeless and his second wife(he did marry again, didn't he?) broke up with him. It seems less of a case of him truly repenting and more of a case where this looked like his best option.

Oh, Lord Jesus... Mrs. Soak and Wet is gonna teach her speshul snowflakes.... Someone needs to stage an intervention.

Preferably at an Arby's.

Ah, the Arby's girl, one of my favorite threads from the old board! :cracking-up:

Is she expecting another child, or has she had a baby recently? I've honestly lost track.

Almost all? Only almost? Identifying 1-10 is expected by the time kids start preschool here.

Any why wait to start? Why not work lessons into every day and start now, when they're so eager? Strike while the iron is hot!

Honestly, Kloe is behind. My son is about a month younger than her and he can count to 50, can write his name, is starting to learn to read words, knows most of his colors (colors are what he struggles a little with), and knows his basic shapes in addition to some more advanced shapes. In the fall, he'll start his third year of pre-school. As much as I brag on him, there are kids in his class that can run circles around him. They were able to memorize lines for a school play and are already reading simple sentences. If Kloe were to go to a legitimate pre-school, she could easily catch up, but its not going to happen if Kristina is her teacher. Hopefully, she's put into a real school before she gets to far behind. I'd hate to see her lose more ground.

What I don't understand is why Kristina is homeschooling at all. She has admitted that she got a woefully poor education. She has admitted that her parents regret not educating her better. She has admitted she lacks in academic areas. So, why on earth would she think she could homeschool? Doesn't she want better for her children than what she received? How is she going to ensure they get it when she herself isn't educated? Why would she want to push ignorance on yet another generation? As a child, I did not attend pre-school. I only went to school for half a day in kindergarten. I attended a decent public elementary school, but a pretty lackluster public junior high school and public high school (for my freshman and sophomore years). During my junior and senior years, I went to a better public high school (where I had to play catch up, so I know the frustration being behind can cause). Still, I was ill prepared for college and struggled throughout my freshman year. I want better for my children. That's why I started my oldest in pre-school early. I wanted to make sure he had 3 years of pre-school to prepare him for kindergarten (where they now expect you to have basic reading, writing, and math skills). I send him to a private school because it out performs the public schools in our district. I go into work at 4 am every day to put in overtime to pay for his school because I want better for my kids than what I had growing up. I simply can't comprehend why someone wouldn't bend over backwards to ensure their children had better opportunities in life than they had.

It's a cut throat world out there. The better educated you are, the better chance you have at getting a decent job that allows you to live a comfortable life. Those $20 an hour factory jobs have all but disappeared (hell, factory jobs in general have dwindled as manufacturing is sent overseas). Its becoming harder and harder to find work without some sort of post secondary schooling or certification. Who knows what it's going to be like 14 to 18 years from now when kids Kloe's age are venturing into the adult world. I would think you would want them to have every advantage they could possibly get.

• Upvote 3

Childless, I admire your desire to work hard to ensure your children have a better start in life than you did. More power to you.

But I admit the sound of all that 4 am overtime work to pay for a third year of pre-school so that your child can thrive academically in kindergarden just sounds appalling to me.

The pressure on you and your child must be intense. I hope you have built in some time for you and your child to recharge and smell a few roses along the way. There are many years of education still to come!

How awesome a whole new generation of children to be taught by undereducated adults. YAY

Childless, I admire your desire to work hard to ensure your children have a better start in life than you did. More power to you.

But I admit the sound of all that 4 am overtime work to pay for a third year of pre-school so that your child can thrive academically in kindergarden just sounds appalling to me.

The pressure on you and your child must be intense. I hope you have built in some time for you and your child to recharge and smell a few roses along the way. There are many years of education still to come!

I'll admit to pressure on myself. I only get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. Its rough, but I only have to do it for another year and a half. My husband is currently a college student and not working. Once he graduates and gets a job, we'll have enough income that I can cut back on the overtime.

My son isn't under much pressure though. His first two years of pre-school, he attended three mornings a week for 4 hours. So, not much time. Next year, he will be going 3 full days to start preparing him for kindergarten which will be 5 full days. Neither I nor the teachers puts pressure on him (he's only 4 years old after all). But, just being in a school environment and being exposed to academics by qualified and degreed teachers has been enough for him to learn. He's doing really well and loves going to school. He, of course, doesn't know what I do to pay for his schooling, nor should he at that age.

We do get out to do fun things at times. Truthfully, what stops us from doing it more often right now is not my work schedule, but our 9 month old. Infants aren't always the most accommodating people on the planet. LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I'll admit to pressure on myself. I only get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. Its rough, but I only have to do it for another year and a half. My husband is currently a college student and not working. Once he graduates and gets a job, we'll have enough income that I can cut back on the overtime.

My son isn't under much pressure though. His first two years of pre-school, he attended three mornings a week for 4 hours. So, not much time. Next year, he will be going 3 full days to start preparing him for kindergarten which will be 5 full days. Neither I nor the teachers puts pressure on him (he's only 4 years old after all). But, just being in a school environment and being exposed to academics by qualified and degreed teachers has been enough for him to learn. He's doing really well and loves going to school. He, of course, doesn't know what I do to pay for his schooling, nor should he at that age.

We do get out to do fun things at times. Truthfully, what stops us from doing it more often right now is not my work schedule, but our 9 month old. Infants aren't always the most accommodating people on the planet. LOL

Definitely a busy time for you, but great that he is loving his school :-).

I understand the sacrifices people make for their child's education. We enrolled our son in private school when he was a few weeks old (for 11 years old) and with prices currently 30K I can only imagine what they will be in 11 years time. One reason we will only have 2 children.

Kristina should enrol her kids in public school. Lots of Christian kids go to public school. Or if she is so scared how about a cheap church school? From memory husband is minimum wage though?

• Upvote 1

How old is Kloe?

Sigh. I feel bad saying so, but how is she going to educate her children when she readily admits that her own education was terrible?

I can't remember all the dates but their 6th wedding anniversary is in July, so Kloe is around 5.

Raegan and Brayden are probably almost 4, and Brianna will be two in June. Caleb was born in March.

Kristina claimed that she would homeschool by trying to stay a step or two ahead of her children in whatever curriculum she decides to use or modify. It will probably be a crap curriculum. However, with 5 children and counting it is hard to see how that will work. Even now she'll be busy dealing with the latest infant and the toddler rather than focused on teaching the oldest 3. It will probably be alright, if a bit substandard for kindergarten and perhaps even elementary school, but I cannot see how it will work after that.

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Kristina (of Keepsakes) Starting to Homeschool