IGNORED

TLC / Reality Vetting Proceedure

fabkiwi06

If you know you have skeletons in your closet and don't want people to know, then stay off of tv. It's going to come out sooner or later.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you know you have skeletons in your closet and don't want people to know, then stay off of tv. It's going to come out sooner or later.

I don't have any serious skeletons I can think of, but I'd still be afraid to go on reality TV. I assume they'd dig up (or make up) skeletons I didn't even know existed!

I hope the older Duggar kids get real jobs (and real educations before that) and be content with what money they've already made. I feel like tabloids would just be itching to find the next Duggar scandal if another show went on the air. If they thought they were being scrutinized before this Josh stuff came to light... putting the magnifying glass on their individual lives would probably only open them up to more intense and critical investigation.

If Josh was suing the state of Arkansas when he was 19, how would the producer(s) NOT know - and shouldn't that have prompted them to make sure they had the full story?

I can believe that TLC didn't know and assumed anything they heard about it was just rumors. Even here on Free Jinger whenever the topic came up the majority dismissed it and none of us were profiting financially by it being false.

Also I think lots of families manage to hide secrets even from family members who live with those involved. So the camera crew not realizing it doesn't shock me.

TLC reality show questionnaire for potential talent (I'm totally making this up and am intentionally using non pc language)

1 - Please circle if you believe you fit one of more of the following categorie (bonus points if you fit one of more)

a - fat

b -

c -

d - live a lifestyle that most people view as strange

e

f -

g - believe you speak to the dead

h -

i -

j - have a rare/painful medical condition

k -

l - poor

2 - Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

a -

b - No

3 - Have you ever posted something on the internet that would be easily found that is contrary to the show you'd like

a -

b - no

4 - Do you have a lawyer?

a - yes

When does my show start filming? :cracking-up:

What is also worth noting :

The FRC or what ever the name of the hate group Josh worked for in Washington apparently has no background research requirements either. And these are people lobbying in Washington on policy that could effect everyone in the USA. Scary freaking stuff.

Sorry if I've missed this in other threads, but was the Duggar episode actually recorded or was it nixed before they actually made it? If it was recorded, was it destroyed after it didn't air? Or is there some hope of it actually coming to light one day?

It's my understanding that Oprah sent them away BEFORE they ever filmed anything for her. So, there was no offer of scholorships or hidden episode that was pulled - they just did all the pre-interview stuff and then Harpo got the email.

In my opinion, I don't think any of the other Duggar kids deserve spin-offs. I think the whole family has lied about other things not related to the Josh incidents. I think both couples need to man up and learn to survive financially without Boob or TLC.

Now many news outlets are also reporting the same thing. It's looking like a very good probability that TLC is thinking this is the anwser.

Now many news outlets are also reporting the same thing. It's looking like a very good probability that TLC is thinking this is the anwser.

I don't know why they even think they should be on a reality television program. Why don't they make a reality program about people who DO believe in sending their daughters to college?

I don't know why they even think they should be on a reality television program. Why don't they make a reality program about people who DO believe in sending their daughters to college?

The solution: make a reality show about the older Duggar kids going to college! They get another program, but they also get educated and exposed to more of the outside world. Win-win. :D

Edit: suggesting that as a joke, but then again wouldn't put it past TLC to do anything to put them on the air again

The solution: make a reality show about the older Duggar kids going to college! They get another program, but they also get educated and exposed to more of the outside world. Win-win. :D

Edit: suggesting that as a joke, but then again wouldn't put it past TLC to do anything to put them on the air again

I would only be cool with that if it was an actual college and not some made up ATI "homemakers" college.

Though...I don't think I would be cool with that either.

Does TLC have any reality shows where the family that is primarily shown is not engaged in some sort of shady business dealings? The Little Couple is the only one I can think of right off. Jen and Bill were already sucessful in their own fields before the TV shows. The rest of the families (Browns, Roloffs, BooBoo's, etc.) seem to be riding the TV wave for their own piece of the fame pie.

Regardless of how bad I feel at what Jill and Jessa suffered or may have suffered at Josh's hands, I want them OFF TV. They are both still peddlers of the poison of Gothardism. They should not be allowed a platform to spread that ideology further.

TLC probably doesn't WANT to do background checks. If they found something early on and ignored it, someone could probably sue them. They are probably perfectly happy sticking their heads in the sand and keeping their fingers crossed.

Does TLC have any reality shows where the family that is primarily shown is not engaged in some sort of shady business dealings? The Little Couple is the only one I can think of right off. Jen and Bill were already sucessful in their own fields before the TV shows. The rest of the families (Browns, Roloffs, BooBoo's, etc.) seem to be riding the TV wave for their own piece of the fame pie.

The Roloffs were a bit similar to the Duggars. Matt has always been doing various business ventures and at one point he was a high paid software salesman and he lost that job around the time Discovery filmed them in 2002 or 2003, before they got a regular show. Matt filed for bankruptcy once or twice and he was sued by a former employee who worked on the farm. When they got the regular show, we saw Matt doing tons of projects on the farm and he used the show to market/promote the Direct Access Solution hotel kits.

The Browns are probably doing the show for money and also to fund additional business ventures. An Fjer who lives in Las Vegas mentioned her son playing on a hockey team where a teammate was using some kind of energy supplement that was sold by the Sister Wives.

Theresa Caputo of Long Island Medium fame and her family, seem to have already been upper middle class prior to the show. Her husband Larry had some kind of food export business that was sold before the show started. Larry and Theresa are probably doing the show for money and Larry has a clothing business now.

The Shannon/Thompson family along with the Breaking Amish family(Abe's family) probably had more financial struggles than the above families.

Regardless of how bad I feel at what Jill and Jessa suffered or may have suffered at Josh's hands, I want them OFF TV. They are both still peddlers of the poison of Gothardism. They should not be allowed a platform to spread that ideology further.

I agree with this and that is part of the reason, why I hope they don't get a spin off.

I can believe TLC missed the Josh Duggar issue because they probably would have investigated the parents and not the young kids as the kids were so young then.

I also see why Oprah raised the issue and not TLC. My theory: Oprah herself probably never saw the email. It would have been sent to the general mailbox and a staffer saw it and took it seriously. Since Jim Bob and Michelle think they did absolutely nothing wrong with the handling of the molestation, perhaps a production manager asked them point blank if there is any truth to the email. They admitted to it. They admitted enough to get them investigated by the police. Oprah was probably told about it at a production meeting and decided to pull the plug and let the chips fall where they may. She probably was so busy, she doesn't have time to keep tabs on the Duggars.

TLC probably gets tons of slanderous emails regarding their stars that they ignored the one sent to them. (I'm sure there was one)

TLC needs to be boycotted imo. Even the shows with people I like they themselves see them as freaks. The fact that TLC knows about the real Duggars now and hasn't officially canceled the show says everything about them. I sound like a broken record because I keep making this point....that what they know now is far more important to me than what they may of known before,or didn't. This spinoff crap is disgusting. They don't even care much about their own image.

I've heard things like Mr. Jim the sound guy is also in the Duggar brand of fake religion. This may of been started because it was mentioned on the show that his daughters were big fans and when they came to the house they had on long skirts with long hair. I don't know. But, maybe some with some power more so than Jim at TLC is also into their beliefs. I dismissed that theory too when I first heard it but now I wonder how much of this support for the Duggars is fully about the money only!?! They can and always do find more people for their shows. Something besides money is keeping the Duggar door open to TLC.

TLC needs to be boycotted imo. Even the shows with people I like they themselves see them as freaks. The fact that TLC knows about the real Duggars now and hasn't officially canceled the show says everything about them. I sound like a broken record because I keep making this point....that what they know now is far more important to me than what they may of known before,or didn't. This spinoff crap is disgusting. They don't even care much about their own image.

I've heard things like Mr. Jim the sound guy is also in the Duggar brand of fake religion. This may of been started because it was mentioned on the show that his daughters were big fans and when they came to the house they had on long skirts with long hair. I don't know. But, maybe some with some power more so than Jim at TLC is also into their beliefs. I dismissed that theory too when I first heard it but now I wonder how much of this support for the Duggars is fully about the money only!?! They can and always do find more people for their shows. Something besides money is keeping the Duggar door open to TLC.

Let's take it in the context for what it is. Obviously, they are weird, they are not a traditional American family. Traditional American families don't make good television nor do they make for good snark forums. When we turn on the TV, we want to see something unusual for entertainment purposes. Imagine a program about a traditional American family, who live in a 2000 sq ft house in the suburbs. "Hi my name is Sandy and this is my wonderful husband Doug and these are are our three children, Dan, Diane and Devin and yes, I delivered them all...." *click* no one wants to watch a TV show about people just like them. If the Little Couple were over 5 ft we wouldn't be watching a show about them. What I'm trying to say don't necessarily blame the network because they are just cashing in on what people want to see on TV. Deadliest Catch is a great show, but it showcases an unusual profession and the guys are not your mainstream type of guys, they are crass, rough around the edges, hard workers for sure but they are not the typical men you meet in everyday life. Networks can sell a show about crab fishermen but they couldn't sell a show about accountants or refrigeration repair guys. Honestly, I think TLC is keeping the Duggar door open because of the almighty dollar, nothing else... it's not because all the TLC execs are now Gothardites. People think that because the sponsors are pulling out now that they won't be back? Sure they will be back, maybe not all of them but many will return once the dust settles because the sponsors know that at least for one or two seasons a return of the Duggars will have a huge audience because people are curious and want to see what is going on. I'll watch again.. then I'll come to this board and snark about it, bottom line. People may have cried and complained about the Duggar marathon still being on when this news broke but I bet if we could get our hands on the numbers that they were doing good in the ratings, because people were viewing, looking for clues of dysfunction and feeding their inner curiosity. I bet now if Honey Boo Boo came back on, people would watch just to see how the family was doing and to make sure Honey Boo Boo was alright, for maybe a half a season. But they won't put Honey Boo Boo on now because she is older, she is just a chubby pre-adolescent and she lost her appeal. In the long run her ratings would plummet and TLC knows this. She was a cute precocious little girl now she is just an obnoxious pre-teen.. people have moved on. Part of what made the Duggar dynasty work is that they were adding people all the time, there was always a new edition to keep people tuned in and curious, "Oh Jill is having a baby, I wonder what they will name it?" or "Is Jessa having a boy or a girl" or "Josiah is dating a girl who wears pants, wow I need to watch and see what is going on". So we can sit here and speculate about why TLC hasn't pulled the plug and my guess is: we haven't seen the last of the Duggars.

I agree with this and that is part of the reason, why I hope they don't get a spin off.

I'm going to be the devil's advocate on this one. Do networks have a moral obligation to air only programming that is not controversial? Or are we the ones who have an obligation to not view programming that we do not feel is beneficial to us and what we want to see on TV? I think it comes to an impasse on what the networks obligation to viewers are or what we are obligated to do for ourselves. RuPaul's Drag Race for example (which I love by the way) is a show about transvestites participating in a beauty pageant, should it be taken off the air because there are people who find it offensive or is it an individual responsibility to not watch it if it goes against one's beliefs? What about the Amish shows on TV, there is a lot of sexual abuse and physical abuse in that particular religious sect, should they never air an Amish program because of it? People know about the incest and physical abuse in the Amish community but they are still flocking to Lancaster, PA every summer to buy their handmade quilts and roadside produce- what does that say about the general public? Sister Wives another show that goes against traditional family values, does that need to go too? I agree that Gothardism is a dangerous ideology, no argument there. But I don't think we can go as far to say that the networks need to police what Americans watch on TV, that is what we need to do for ourselves and it is called personal responsibility. The Duggars belief system is pretty whack and they may get a few people who watch them and decide to join the Quiverfull and have a ton of kids, but for the most part people aren't going to buy into the Gothard Kool-aid punch bowl. Most people watch it because they are weird and have weird non-traditional beliefs, that's it.. nothing more. So what I'am trying to say is we have a personal responsibility to ourselves to allow the things into our home that are positive example of our belief system, when we put that responsibility off on the networks and require them to police what we watch and since so many people have different belief systems then what are we left with? The news and home improvement shows.

I hope this is the right place to post this. I was wondering if anyone else saw it:

The end of Hicksploitation TV

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... on-tv.html

I didn't watch much of Honey Boo Boo but what I did see didn't have much of anything to do with religion or family values. And wasn't Uncle Poodle openly gay and had a place on the show? Didn't toddlers and tiaras have a few minor scandals of accused child abuse as well? I watched a few Toddlers and Tiaras episodes and never got the impression it was a show about old fashioned family values, and Honey Boo Boo was a spin off of that.

Also, I disagree with the idea that these shows were meant to somehow save us from Jersey Shore. Different shows are marketed to different demographics, so it make more sense that TLC is trying to appeal to demographics that MTV doesn't. MTV is for pop culture, and TLC is more family friendly programming. I don't think family friendly should necessarily be equated with traditional family values. Duck Dynasty and the Duggars are an example of traditional family values but I don't think all the shows on TV are on their caliber (maybe sister wives, too).

Then he writes:

Perhaps there will always be a certain element of exploitation to reality TV, no matter how high-minded and noble the pursuit. But we can and should be more judicious and selective about who and what we’re exploiting.

And I'm like... :ew:

I might be in the minority here, but reality tv should be an opportunity for people to move up in the world, and if it's not then it is exploitative. If someone chooses not to take that opportunity, well that's up to them. I have no problem with people benefiting from reality tv, because the drawbacks are so numerous and detrimental.

At any rate, I'm up late and just sort of mumbling to myself out loud here. What do you think of this article?

Do networks have a moral obligation to air only programming that is not controversial?

For me, there's a huge difference in being toxic and being controversial. Ru Paul is controversial, but s/he isn't harming anyone else nor does s/he believe everyone should conform to hir lifestyle. The Duggars on the other hand, took their notoriety and used it as a political weapon against people like Ru Paul. It is one thing to be uncomfortable with someone else's lifestyle just because they are different. It's quite another thing when TLC is giving a financial boost and media platform for bigotry.

Ok, I really am going to bed this time. Until tomorrow 8-)

For me, there's a huge difference in being toxic and being controversial. Ru Paul is controversial, but s/he isn't harming anyone else nor does s/he believe everyone should conform to hir lifestyle. The Duggars on the other hand, took their notoriety and used it as a political weapon against people like Ru Paul. It is one thing to be uncomfortable with someone else's lifestyle just because they are different. It's quite another thing when TLC is giving a financial boost and media platform for bigotry.

Ok, I really am going to bed this time. Until tomorrow 8-)

If you want get right down to it, none of the previous examples like RuPaul or even the Amish affect their viewership the way Gothardism does. Gothardism is a political ideology that actively campaigns to roll back the rights of women and children. It actively seeks to change laws to limit a woman's agency over her own body. It has paramilitary organizations and speaks about breeding soldiers for Christ. They are not speaking in metaphor when they use that phrase.

So, unlike RuPaul and the Amish, Gothardism seeks to overturn the political order and curtail the rights of women, sexual and gender minorities, and children. They should be denied a platform because they are a dangerous and politically active social movement, not because practices and behaviors they apply only to themselves are deemed offensive.

Has Harpo Studios or Oprah made any comment about the Duggar scandal that we know of? It would be nice if they could confirm their involvement and elaborate why/how they opted to take the email seriously and escalate the suspicions to police.

Has Harpo Studios or Oprah made any comment about the Duggar scandal that we know of? It would be nice if they could confirm their involvement and elaborate why/how they opted to take the email seriously and escalate the suspicions to police.

Nope. I don't think a Harpo rep or Oprah will make a statement. They are probably looking at the situation as TLC's problem and will stay out of it.

Archived