IGNORED

We are in Gawker's Take Down of the Bates

nelliebelle1197

I don't think that this will impact the Bateseseses too much, especially since they are better at managing their image than the Duggars ever have been. It would be nice if more people would see that Gil is on a BoD that helped protect Bill Gothard and that they believe crazy stuff, but I feel like they are plotting how to best use this situation to gain more money and fame and that they will probably be successful.

I can see this causing a lot of good things for the Bates show. its possible that all the leghummpers will just switch to them. there are a lot of right wing Christians who will never care about Gothard and all that and continue to see a happy big cooky family with strong Christian values.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see this causing a lot of good things for the Bates show. its possible that all the leghummpers will just switch to them. there are a lot of right wing Christians who will never care about Gothard and all that and continue to see a happy big cooky family with strong Christian values.

The leghumpers can't all switch to watching the Bates because it appears that (based on our experiences on this site) a big chunk of North American households don't receive UPtv, and UP hasn't been willing to put past episodes officially online.

TLC seems to be a basic channel in most cable tv packages, UPtv does not.

Perhaps TLC should dump the Duggars and try to acquire the Bates from UPtv. Although why should UPtv sell? I think the Bates was one of their highest (or the highest) rated shows.

But--what if some advertisers become leary of the Bates show, based on news coverage linking them with the Duggars? Taint by association!

Ok, I went through one episode (13 - A birthday to remember) Is this show not in HD? Maybe I just need to clean my glasses...

This is what I've got:

"The general" - low cost auto insurance

Coffee Mate

Garnier miracle sleeping creme

PSA about not wasting water while brushing your teeth (Colgate)

Pillsbury Toaster Strudel

Lucky Charms (General Mills)

The chronicles of narnia - UP tv preview

Mccormick seasonings

Luvs

Hillshire Farms

US Army

Air Wick

Party City

Starz

Hersheys

Quaker oats

Bounty

Little Caesars

Chex cereal (General mills)

Metlife

Allstate

HughesNet

General Mills - all products

Glade

Looks like General Mills should be the top target.

On your wedding night, how does your cervix know that is your blessed husband's semen and not some guy you picked up at a bar? inquiring Christian minds want to know!! :D

On your wedding night, how does your cervix know that is your blessed husband's semen and not some guy you picked up at a bar? inquiring Christian minds want to know!! :D

Dontcha know? The female body has a way of "shutting that down!"

Dontcha know? The female body has a way of "shutting that down!"

Pretty sure that the transfer of authority somehow speaks to the cervix. Sort of like daddy's blessing on the cervix :puke

I've heard that some women are allergic to their husband's semen. What do fundies do about this?

Ok, I went through one episode (13 - A birthday to remember) Is this show not in HD? Maybe I just need to clean my glasses...

This is what I've got:

"The general" - low cost auto insurance

Coffee Mate

Garnier miracle sleeping creme

PSA about not wasting water while brushing your teeth (Colgate)

Pillsbury Toaster Strudel

Lucky Charms (General Mills)

The chronicles of narnia - UP tv preview

Mccormick seasonings

Luvs

Hillshire Farms

US Army

Air Wick

Party City

Starz

Hersheys

Quaker oats

Bounty

Little Caesars

Chex cereal (General mills)

Metlife

Allstate

HughesNet

General Mills - all products

Glade

Looks like General Mills should be the top target.

I get the UP TV channel so I can try to add to this list when the new season starts in a week or so, if at that point it is relevant. I'll try to remember to check back on this thread to see if it would be useful.

Ah, now I can see why I don't have a husband: I haven't been draping myself over chairs!

This is very important to menfolk and also God.

I've heard that some women are allergic to their husband's semen. What do fundies do about this?

TMI here - I'm allergic to semen. I just use condoms or the pull-out method (I'm on BC as well), but obviously those are not options for very religious women. Apparently there's a procedure that can be done where the male partner's diluted semen is placed in the woman's vagina, and over the course of several hours the concentration of the semen is increased until it is full strength. This desensitizes the body to the semen, but the effect is lost if a couple doesn't have sex at least every other day. And how the semen is obtained in a "sinless" way is beyond me. It all sounds terribly exhausting to me, but there you go. Honestly, I didn't know about semen allergies until recently, so I would question whether more sheltered women would have access to that information. And even more importantly the presence of mind to realize that the symptoms they are experiencing are not normal and okay, and that they shouldn't have to suck it up for the sake of the man's pleasure.

TMI here - I'm allergic to semen. I just use condoms or the pull-out method (I'm on BC as well), but obviously those are not options for very religious women. Apparently there's a procedure that can be done where the male partner's diluted semen is placed in the woman's vagina, and over the course of several hours the concentration of the semen is increased until it is full strength. This desensitizes the body to the semen, but the effect is lost if a couple doesn't have sex at least every other day. And how the semen is obtained in a "sinless" way is beyond me. It all sounds terribly exhausting to me, but there you go. Honestly, I didn't know about semen allergies until recently, so I would question whether more sheltered women would have access to that information. And even more importantly the presence of mind to realize that the symptoms they are experiencing are not normal and okay, and that they shouldn't have to suck it up for the sake of the man's pleasure.

I'm almost afraid to ask what the symptoms of that are!

The symptoms are basically just burning and swelling at the site of exposure. Really, those are bad enough!

Edit: And with this lovely comment I finally shed my "new member" status - it only took 3+ years of obsessive reading!

More ATI info from Gawker. There was a whole week at EXCEL devoted to doing things like figuring out your "color", looking for eye traps and learning how to sit properly.

http://gawker.com/the-duggars-creepy-ho ... 1707722189

Someone needs to remind the Duggars about #9: Match your choice of clothing to the occasion or activity.

Running a 5K in jeans will get you sent straight to hell, Jim Bob! :naughty:

Oh wow! Very sorry to hear that you suffer from this, but I'm glad that you have more options and better access to treatment if needed.

Oh wow! Very sorry to hear that you suffer from this, but I'm glad that you have more options and better access to treatment if needed.

It definitely sucks sometimes, but luckily I have an amazing boyfriend who always makes sure I have a good experience. As far as lady-parts go I've had just about everything that can go wrong, go wrong. It took a few years to (mostly) sort out the physical problems I was having with sex, and I consider myself pretty well informed, and readily spoke to my gynecologist about my issues. I can't even imagine how terrible sex would be for me in such a patriarchal, repressed environment. What kind of information do these women get about sex? Would they feel empowered enough to go to their doctor if they weren't enjoying themselves, or would they just accept that as the norm?

Probably not. I've seen JB say over and over that "the physical stuff" is for the husband. Talking is for the wife...

Probably not. I've seen JB say over and over that "the physical stuff" is for the husband. Talking is for the wife...

I've always wondered how this is even possible, when fundies seem to only endorse missionary position piv sex. What if that position doesn't really do much for the guy? Sex wouldn't be satisfying for him, either. And what if the women find they enjoy it, after always being told it is only for a man's pleasure? Do they feel lied to? How do they reconcile what they feel with what they've been told?

I've always wondered how this is even possible, when fundies seem to only endorse missionary position piv sex. What if that position doesn't really do much for the guy? Sex wouldn't be satisfying for him, either. And what if the women find they enjoy it, after always being told it is only for a man's pleasure? Do they feel lied to? How do they reconcile what they feel with what they've been told?

I don't understand where this idea that fundies don't care about women enjoying sex, or missionary only, comes from. Not true. Is it in Gothard's crap?

I don't imagine they talk to their children about positions at all. I'm not entirely certain the girl's even understand what's going to happen on their wedding night. I'm guessing that in the end, whatever position the husband likes is the one she has to do. Always be available and submit after all. The parents I've seen grope each other in front their kids, but I doubt they actually talk to them about the mechanics of it.

ETA: The parents I've seen on tv. I don't know any of these people personally. Which is probably a good thing. I was arguing with people about the bible at like 8 yo. I'd get myself into trouble with these people.

Oh my, that semen thing:

Here is an example of those idiots taking something that actually has some validity and then twisting it. In truth, women with numerous sex partners are at higher risk of cervical cancer, but this due increased risk of exposure to the hundreds of HPV viruses that are sexually transmitted. It isn't the semen itself, it is the virus that might be in the semen of man who is a carrier of HPV.

Of course, a woman could contract HPV from a single source, as it is very common throughout the population and many HPV viruses are not just transmitted through sexual contact.

The people who wrote that crap are nuts.

There have been numerous theories about semen and the immune system. When I first started to work in OB there was a theory that pre-eclampsia was an immune reaction to the husband's semen. In fact, it was proposed that oral ingestion of the baby daddy's semen might help prevent pre-eclampsia. We all had fun with that little article in our break room, which, should have had a rating of NC-17 because we all had pretty warped senses of humor. The researchers had considered this because they had noticed that women having a baby with a different father than their first children seemed to have higher rates of pre-eclampsia. They looked at divorced and re-married women who had children by both husbands. They theorized that the rates of pre-eclampsia was higher in the divorced/re-married women because they were having some sort of allergic or immune response to the new husbands semen.

Lets just say that this research was debunked and never gained any ground other than as a source of much laughter. We used to ask the OB docs if they wanted us to put "perform frequent 'BJs" as on the discharge instructions of women we had treated for pre-eclampsia, since that research seemed to think that might help.

BTW, I just have to say it drove me crazy when Michelle mispronounced Pre-Eclampsia. It is pronounced like the word Clamp. But she always says it like it is the word "Clemp".

As far as lady-parts go I've had just about everything that can go wrong, go wrong. It took a few years to (mostly) sort out the physical problems I was having with sex, and I consider myself pretty well informed, and readily spoke to my gynecologist about my issues. I can't even imagine how terrible sex would be for me in such a patriarchal, repressed environment. What kind of information do these women get about sex? Would they feel empowered enough to go to their doctor if they weren't enjoying themselves, or would they just accept that as the norm?

Debi Pearl is quoted from her book and Lori The Monster and Ken Alexander the Dental Consultant have agreed

Don’t talk to me about how uncomfortable or painful it is for you. Do you think your body is special and has special needs? Do you know who created you, and do you know he is the same God who expects you to freely give sex to your husband? Stop the excuses! (p. 170
) - See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfem ... R5NYy.dpuf

This is written by a woman who has sold a lot of books spreading her horrific views of marriage and sex. I suspect many women have suffered needlessly because of this bitch.

Archived