IGNORED

We are in Gawker's Take Down of the Bates

nelliebelle1197

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And they LINKED DIRECTLY HERE twice.

Dear Gawker,

How dare you forget to mention Michael Bates' engagement to Brandon Keilen - a man who may or may not secretly wish he was Gothard 2.0! Off to the prayer closet with you!

Well, other than the glaring omission of Michael's forthcoming nuptials, that was a surprisingly good and complete article.

Thanks, Gawker. :)

If we had $50 for every article created from FJ content, we'd never have to pay Internet fees again. :?

And yeah, it was surprising that they left off Michael's forthcoming nuptials to an Gothard employee! (also educated at Gothard "seminary" in Texas--as was at least one of the Payne boys)

I do like that they are shining a spotlight on ATI and how harmful it is and that while the Bates may look harmless and sweet, Gil Bates is on the Board of IBLP. Prior to this whole Josh molestation thing exploding on the internet, most people didn't know anything about IBLP, ATI or Bill Gothard. They thought the Duggars and the Bates family were just quaint, old-fashioned and had good moral values and these articles are good for scratching below the surface to expose the dangerous and wacky beliefs these families and others are following. It shows how dangerous Fundamentalist environments can be to children from teaching scientifically inaccurate stuff to their kids through homeschooling to teaching girls they are submissive and must obey men and so on.

I can't believe that even after so many women have come forward about Gothard sexually assaulting them, the Bates family still seems to worship the ground the guy walks on, and never questions or worries about this guy having moleted any of their kids!

" most damning for the Bates family’s “better than the Duggars†image is their close relationship with Bill Gothard, the founder of IBLP, who was ousted from his leadership position in 2014 after 34 women came forward with accusations of sexual harassment and abuse. Yet just months before those allegations were made public, Gothard was a guest at the November 2013 wedding of Chad and Erin Paine where he, according to Kelly Bates, gave the opening prayer. It was also Gothard’s birthday and, at this big Bates family wedding, they served their leader a big special cake"

I mean, wouldn't you as a parent hearing over 30 women and young teenage girls say Gothard molested them, at least wonder about (a) your own daughters interactions with him, and (b) what a kind of spiritual leader are you following here? I mean, all these girls and women are lying? Really?

If we had $50 for every article created from FJ content, we'd never have to pay Internet fees again. :?

And yeah, it was surprising that they left off Michael's forthcoming nuptials to an Gothard employee! (also educated at Gothard "seminary" in Texas--as was at least one of the Payne boys)

I think it is because Daddy K is not a doctor on the board of IBLP or whack job US Representative. No glamour.

I do like that they are shining a spotlight on ATI and how harmful it is and that while the Bates may look harmless and sweet, Gil Bates is on the Board of IBLP. Prior to this whole Josh molestation thing exploding on the internet, most people didn't know anything about IBLP, ATI or Bill Gothard. They thought the Duggars and the Bates family were just quaint, old-fashioned and had good moral values and these articles are good for scratching below the surface to expose the dangerous and wacky beliefs these families and others are following. It shows how dangerous Fundamentalist environments can be to children from teaching scientifically inaccurate stuff to their kids through homeschooling to teaching girls they are submissive and must obey men and so on.

I can't believe that even after so many women have come forward about Gothard sexually assaulting them, the Bates family still seems to worship the ground the guy walks on, and never questions or worries about this guy having moleted any of their kids!

" most damning for the Bates family’s “better than the Duggars†image is their close relationship with Bill Gothard, the founder of IBLP, who was ousted from his leadership position in 2014 after 34 women came forward with accusations of sexual harassment and abuse. Yet just months before those allegations were made public, Gothard was a guest at the November 2013 wedding of Chad and Erin Paine where he, according to Kelly Bates, gave the opening prayer. It was also Gothard’s birthday and, at this big Bates family wedding, they served their leader a big special cake"

I mean, wouldn't you as a parent hearing over 30 women and young teenage girls say Gothard molested them, at least wonder about (a) your own daughters interactions with him, and (b) what a kind of spiritual leader are you following here? I mean, all these girls and women are lying? Really?

If the kool aid is strong enough, I suppose any ATI Fundie would believe anything, including that all of these women are wrong about the leader they seem to love and adore.

Gil didn't just never question Gothard, he tried to protect his actions from being exposed and sent his own daughters off with him knowing all these accusations. People need to stop viewing Gil and Kelly as being less dangerous than the Duggars just because they have a daughter who wears pants and a son who met his wife at Sonic.

Dear Gawker (and other media),

Many of us appreciate you finally looking into the deep, dark void that is the Duggar (and Bates) version of fundamentalist christianity. This is a beast with many heads and tentacles, and jumping in can prove to be difficult. I also recognize that freejinger has nearly a million posts and a deep history. Dont be afraid to ask for help. Many of us would be happy to lead you down the road. You can find contact info here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15379 or PM a poster you think has information.

Thanks and happy digging!

I can't believe they linked the duggarsandbatesconfessions tumblr. One of the mods there is so ridiculous. :lol:

Gil didn't just never question Gothard, he tried to protect his actions from being exposed and sent his own daughters off with him knowing all these accusations. People need to stop viewing Gil and Kelly as being less dangerous than the Duggars just because they have a daughter who wears pants and a son who met his wife at Sonic.

Agreed!

For illustration, a family friend, who is a priest, was accused of inappropriate behavior during the Catholic church sex scandal. My whole family loves this priest. The first thing that my mom (deeply devout catholic) did when she heard the rumor was ask my brother - who was one the more faithful alter boys/teens - if said priest ever did anything to him. My brother said no, never and he never saw the priest do anything to anyone else and never heard of any lock room talk. (My mom asked him several different times.) She also asked me since I was an alter server too - but the rumor was about the priest and a male not female. My mother (deeply devout catholic who loves this priest) was ready to go to battle for my brother if said priest had ever touched him or any other young male in our congregation. She was ready to fight for my brother based on one rumor. I can't imaging sending my child off with a person that has been accused 3 dozen times of sexual harassment or molestation.

**In this case, we later found out that the accuser had a gay consensual relationship with the now priest when they were both in college.

Omg, did anyone see this comment:

I met this idiot family when they had a baby in the room next to a family member of mine that was giving birth. Their baby ended up in the NICU, as did the baby in my family. My dad and I were down there visiting and the Bates dad struck up a conversation. We did not know who he was, just thought he was a pleasant but nervous new dad waiting to see his newborn. He asked me if I was married and I said I was. He asked me if I had any kids and I said no. He looked horrified and said why not. I jokingly replied “the miracle of birth controlâ€. He became very upset and started telling me that gods plan for me was to raise up an army of warriors to spread the word, bullshit, more bullshit, etc etc. my dad became ENRAGED and said this is none of your fucking business, how dare you speak to my daughter that way, yadda yadda yadda. I thought my dad was going to break this fool right outside the NICU. I was like, dad, cool your pits, lets go. Bates dad was dumbfounded and so so creepy. The rest of the time we were there he just stared icily at us and kept his brood away like we were the plague. (Thank God.) Also, one of his sons told me that he was a kitchen helper and was responsible for helping make all meals along with a thousand other chores every day and that they had to prepare over 60 plates of food per day. He was around 7 I think. It was so sad. I wanted to steal him and take him to Chuck E Cheese but I didn’t.

Now that the media is on the lets investigate the Bates family train, anyone else think that the Duggars are going to inadvertently end up doing serious damage to ATI? Pandora's box had been open and the media is having a field day reporting all the shocking facts. I am sure that there are many in ATI that are pissed at Jim Bob and Michelle for bringing this type of attention on ATI. I am not sure they are all going to just claim Christian persecution. There is a reason their beliefs were hidden on the show, they are unacceptable to the majority of people. Now everyone knows about ATI and there will be no more fluffy reporting about it.

freeJosiah, could your avatar possibly be more accurate??? :D

This reminds of a post I read somewhere (not sure if it was here or not, been awhile and I am not finding it) about someone who lived near the Bates family and reported same dad would tell working women he encountered, that they should quit their jobs and stay home, have babies.

Asking how many kids and demanding explanations why the answer is no, is really pushing boundaries. I still think that this family has worn out their welcome in many places.

Now that the media is on the lets investigate the Bates family train, anyone else think that the Duggars are going to inadvertently end up doing serious damage to ATI? Pandora's box had been open and the media is having a field day reporting all the shocking facts. I am sure that there are many in ATI that are pissed at Jim Bob and Michelle for bringing this type of attention on ATI. I am not sure they are all going to just claim Christian persecution. There is a reason their beliefs were hidden on the show, they are unacceptable to the majority of people. Now everyone knows about ATI and there will be no more fluffy reporting about it.

It will not be as easily hidden that's for sure and that can only hurt them as perceptive members attempt to look it up but find the dirt instead. My better half likes HuffPo and she said they've had an article a day on ATI/QF stuff. It concerns me though that once the shock factor wears off, it made eventually become "normalized" to a degree now that its out there in the MSM.

Holy shit! That's insane. Gil had no right to do that to the commenter. Preach about the evils of birth control to your Conference Room Church, not people in the NICU. Oy vey.

It's seems all these fundie families are just pathetic little men brainwashing their families into believing this crap so they can feel like big guys. In everyday civilized society these guys are creepy losers. It's pathetic.

I would not be surprised at all to learn that the leaders of ATI/IBLP were panicking and attempting to figure out what to do right now. Especially Gil Bates - he and his family are deeply involved in the movement and have a TV show, one that provides much needed income for the families. Without that its right back to gifting and "borrowing" money from their adult sons. :roll:

I hope more major news sites pick up on the link between ATI/IBLP, the Duggars, and Bates families. I'd love to see ATI/IBLP go down with the ship.

The Duggars, ATI and Gothard were discussed on Good Morning American AGAIN today, in the context of where Josh was sent for "counseling." I told my husband, "Stick a fork in the Duggars, they're done!" They were also talking abandonment by major advertisers (including WalMart).

With HuffPo publishing reproductions of the ATI materials on sexual abuse and other Web sites picking up that part of the story, the word is getting around and the general populace is getting exposed to Gothrd-ism in all it's ugly and destructive glory. GMA was also noting the charges against Gothard, his resignation, and Gothard's resignation statement.

The announcer pronounced Gothard's name as Go-Thard -- it made it sound as though he is an intergalactic war lord in a galaxy far away. I've always pronounced it Goth-ard, with the accent on the first syllable. Not sure now which is correct. Not one has opted for the Got-Hard pronunciation, which would have been funny.

Anyway, getting back to the Bates, they may be circling the drain with the Duggars, since they are Gothard leg humpers as well. It would be so ironic if the ATI connection brings it all down.

I would not be surprised at all to learn that the leaders of ATI/IBLP were panicking and attempting to figure out what to do right now. Especially Gil Bates - he and his family are deeply involved in the movement and have a TV show, one that provides much needed income for the families. Without that its right back to gifting and "borrowing" money from their adult sons. :roll:

I hope more major news sites pick up on the link between ATI/IBLP, the Duggars, and Bates families. I'd love to see ATI/IBLP go down with the ship.

I agree. This whole scandal is of course very unfortunate for the victims. Sadly, often the public won't wake up from their illusion about a (religious) movement, until such a thing becomes public. Actually, people should have been aware of how horrible the Duggars and the Bates are when they heard about their lifestyle and "rules". But many let themselves be fooled into the illusion of nice, wholesome families, who are just a bit old-fashioned.

Now, with the scandal out on the open and the damage already done for the victims, it's high time that those ties get uncovered, and the whole cult-movement exposed as the highly harmful fraud they really are.

Archived