IGNORED

Dear FJ I need your help with the Duggars Love God

zz22zz

Yeah, I get that the Duggar kids are brainwashed and don't know any better, and even though Jill and Jessa no longer live at home, they've not been out very long and things don't happen overnight...but we cant give Jessa a pass to say whatever horrible things she wants just because she was molested as a child.

She isn't a damaged, fragile flower. She is still the same stubborn, tough, snarky and outspoken person she was and always has been. She is not that little girl anymore, she is an adult, and it would be crueller to treat her forever as nothing but a child who was molested. I don't think that people who have had shitty childhoods should get a pass on bigotry, and we should be able to snark on her stupid, ignorant comments just as we would before, its cruel not to. Standing up to bigoted comments is the only way that bigots will learn, if we just ignore it, they never have a chance in learning. Also it is wrong to treat someone like a victim forever because of something that happened so long ago, just treat her the same way you would any other fundie.

It would be cruel to say that her choices in life are completely based on her childhood abuse, and it would be cruel to make jokes about it because she said something that pissed you off. In any other way, snarking on the Jslaves is fair game.

And you honestly believe she knows ANYTHING different?

She was taught that SHE tempted her brother to molest her by immodest dress and to pray it away. I don't care how "wordly" everyone seems to think those girls are, they are so brainwashed and indoctrinated, it's sickening. Her husband is a tool but, in light of all of the things we found out about this family, Jessa probably has no idea what she's even saying.

Jessa is not a child, she is not stupid, she has free will and agency. Her past does not mean that everything she publicly spews is free from comment or criticism. Jessa compared abortion to the holocaust and says atheists do not exist. These are ridiculous statements no matter what her past is. She was raised in a screwed up environment in a lot of ways but she is still responsible for her current actions.

I am wondering the same? I don't find blasphemy funny.

I am not sure why I find this unfunny/in bad taste and I have nothing to do with Christianity.

When was I on a high horse?

I said it felt blasphemous. I didn't say it was high blasphemy and all of us on this board are going to hell because hoshit blasphemy. It's an opinion.

Step off your own high horse.

Oops, inserting foot in my mouth here. I read the OP wrong and thought it was a letter to God. Sorry.

My sarcasm was misplaced.

I just am rather stirred up about this whole situation. While I am not particularly fond of the Duggars, I do feel for the kids, all of them, even Josh in a weird way. He was shorted by his parents in many ways and while this doesn't and never will excuse his behavior, it does to some extent explain it.

Prior to making my snarking post, I had just spent time reading some horrifying support posts for all things Duggar on another site, and I think I was really still frustrated by that.

Archived