IGNORED

Coloring for Grownups

Geechee Girl

They break after I sharpen them. Like, the lead is broken further up the pencil and then it just falls out.

Well that sucks :(   I've never had that happen, thankfully.   If you can afford to spend a little more, I highly recommend the woodless ones (you can see them on my blog).  I've had my set for several months and have never had to sharpen one yet.  So I think the claim they last longer is accurate.   They are also beautiful colors and they color so smoothly.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellow coloring enthusiasts,

I started a new community blog just for those of us who like coloring.  It's called FJ Colorists Unite and is a place to post your finished projects, get feedback, post your tips and tricks.  Anything color related.

If you'd like permission to post on the blog, just let me know and I'll get you set up.

Hello fellow coloring enthusiasts,

I started a new community blog just for those of us who like coloring.  It's called FJ Colorists Unite and is a place to post your finished projects, get feedback, post your tips and tricks.  Anything color related.

If you'd like permission to post on the blog, just let me know and I'll get you set up.

Yes please! I just started the Lost Ocean book, by the same illustrator as my daughter's Enchanted Forest book. The designs are beautiful but so complex! I don't know if we'll ever finish our books, but we are very much enjoying the process.

We are using gel pens but I'm considering getting some pencils too. It would have to be a large set though, such complex designs require heaps of different shades.

Yes please! I just started the Lost Ocean book, by the same illustrator as my daughter's Enchanted Forest book. The designs are beautiful but so complex! I don't know if we'll ever finish our books, but we are very much enjoying the process.

We are using gel pens but I'm considering getting some pencils too. It would have to be a large set though, such complex designs require heaps of different shades.

You are all set, Lilith.  Let me know if you have any problems.  Just click on blogs and it should show up in your list now.

I got Lost Ocean based on @iweartanktops6 recommendation.  I haven't done anything in it yet because I already had a bunch of pages pulled out to work on, but it's next up on my list once I finish with them.

I just got the Creative Cats book, and some colored pencils. I'm thinking of getting some gel pens as well. Before I decided to finally get an adult coloring book, I found out how relaxing coloring can be when I colored with my niece.

This might be a dumb quesrion, but why the preference for gel pens over markers?  I mentioned getting some gels to my dd, an aspiring artist and Michael's manager/arts class leader there, and she said gels work like pens and aren't great for coloring.  It's been a while since she's used them though.  Have gels gotten smoother, better to use?  I don't want to spend money on something I won't use, my budget is tight.

My limted experience.  Gels put ink on paper (and for me have been streaky)  while markers put ink in the paper which then does/can bleed through.  

I use gel ink in regular pens.  not sure I'm really liking it for coloring.  I'm more twistalbes (despite a lack of blues - hello crayola)  and colored pencils.  

Well, if I was coloring a kids' book, no, I wouldn't use gels. But these adult coloring books tend to have smaller spaces, making it easier to use gel pens than markers, because with these books you want something thinner that will stay in the lines.

I hope her made sense the way I explained it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always used pencil crayons for colouring. I like the shading that you can do with them.  To be fair, I still colour with crayons on occasion (the joys of being a primary school teacher! No one questions you when you have a shiny new box of crayolas in your bag!) 

I have always love colouring. My high school geography teacher used to have "therapeutic colouring" time. It was usually when geography was the last class on a Friday and we had already basically "checked out" or if we had class after a big test in the period before. Out would come the maps and we would spend the time colouring the rivers and lakes of England  or China or whatever we were studying.  

I still love colouring and I have to admit, many of my Christmas gifts for friends  this year are colouring books and pencil crayons. 

I've always used pencil crayons for colouring. I like the shading that you can do with them.  To be fair, I still colour with crayons on occasion (the joys of being a primary school teacher! No one questions you when you have a shiny new box of crayolas in your bag!) 

I have always love colouring. My high school geography teacher used to have "therapeutic colouring" time. It was usually when geography was the last class on a Friday and we had already basically "checked out" or if we had class after a big test in the period before. Out would come the maps and we would spend the time colouring the rivers and lakes of England  or China or whatever we were studying.  

I still love colouring and I have to admit, many of my Christmas gifts for friends  this year are colouring books and pencil crayons. 

Would you like to be a member of FJ Colorists Unite so that you can post your coloring for all of us to see/comment on?   If you have not seen it, you can find it here: http://www.freejinger.org/blogs/blog/21-fj-colorists-unite/

that would be fun. I would love to join in. Thank you :)  Hopefully my skills will be up to par. 

I love colouring! I have Secret Garden, and one other one I don't remember the name of. I've been using crayola coloured pencils, but I'm considering getting nicer ones

I'm living vicariously through y'all right now. My coloring books are gathering dust. They are on my agenda once I'm done with the semester. 

On 12/8/2015 at 0:39 AM, FrumperSeamstress said:

I love colouring! I have Secret Garden, and one other one I don't remember the name of. I've been using crayola coloured pencils, but I'm considering getting nicer ones

On 12/9/2015 at 2:13 AM, Jennifer Hart said:

I love my animal designs coloring book.  I use gel pens.

Would either of you like to be members of the FJ Colorists Unite blog so you can post your work for all of us to see?

4 hours ago, Curious said:

Would either of you like to be members of the FJ Colorists Unite blog so you can post your work for all of us to see?

Yes, I would like to be a member.  Thanks

On 12/12/2015 at 9:59 PM, Jennifer Hart said:

Yes, I would like to be a member.  Thanks

Welcome aboard.  You will have an option in your create menu now for the blog or you can go directly to the blog and post a new entry from there.

I have a sneaky feeling that I'll be getting adult coloring books and makers/pencils/whatever for Christmas...  I'm hoping it will be a good hobby.

I found I have an annoying (to me) insecurity about my coloring after seeing everyone's amazing pages on fjcolorists.  It's completely in my own head;  I have never seen such a supportive, helpful group of people posting their art before in a forum.  I believe it stems from having my artwork mocked as a child.

Saying all this to encourage anyone thinking of starting this hobby (who am I kidding, it's damn near a lifestyle for some of us) to give it a shot.  Get out of your head and shut down that little voice in the back of your mind and just let the colors flow.  Crayons, pencils, gels, markers, whatever.  Enjoy the process of sorting your colors, finding * that page* that speaks to you, working from the inside out, top to bottom, one color group at a time, etc.  Coloring is so very helpful if you allow it to do the work.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 11:39 PM, FrumperSeamstress said:

I splurged on prismacolors and -love them-. And I have Enchanted Forest, and am always on the hunt for Secret Garden but haven't seen it yet :my_shy:

37 minutes ago, hauntedoklahoma said:

I splurged on prismacolors and -love them-. And I have Enchanted Forest, and am always on the hunt for Secret Garden but haven't seen it yet :my_shy:

Would you like to be part of the FJ Colorists blog?

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

There were a few pages I almost shared but then I saw all the mistakes in the photo and decided not to :P

We are much harder on our own work than other people are.   I posted the page I did that I totally muffed up the pattern just to show people that there is life after mistakes in coloring ;)

You can see that page here: http://www.freejinger.org/blogs/entry/441-picture-of-the-day-~-110615/

3 hours ago, violynnkelly said:

I found I have an annoying (to me) insecurity about my coloring after seeing everyone's amazing pages on fjcolorists.  It's completely in my own head;  I have never seen such a supportive, helpful group of people posting their art before in a forum.  I believe it stems from having my artwork mocked as a child.

How come you aren't a member of FJ Colorists and sharing stuff with us?  Did you ask to be added and I missed it?  :(

On 8/12/2015 at 6:39 AM, FrumperSeamstress said:

I love colouring! I have Secret Garden, and one other one I don't remember the name of.

I have that book too! I've had it for about a year and only just started using it. I'm blaming you guys for that. I am surprised at how long it takes to color in a page! I haven't even finished one yet. I also have an undersea one by the same person although I don't know the proper name.

I'm also not a coloring perfectionist (I'm sure that's from getting told I didn't do well enough when I got 100% on tests when I was younger) so I sometimes color outside the lines. I also think I need a magnify lens to see well.

I wish to find some non-bleedy pens. I have Stabilo fine points but they go through (I tested on the owners pages because the back wasn't important).

I did buy 100 coloring pencils last week  I think there are about 40-50 unique colors although I could be wrong (some with different colored paint seem to have a very similar color lead). They are a slightly harder pencil than I like but were sooooo cheap.

may I become an FJ Colorist?

Archived