IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

I don't like how reality television is heavily scripted and edited (and thus, unreal), but at the same time, I can see the need for it.

Years ago, harkening back to ye olden days when everything was recorded with a VCR in the 1980s, I saw an early reality TV show where there was a contest being staged in order to prove psychic phenomena.

There were 6 contestants, and each one claimed he or she could prove a form of psychic ability. The winner was to receive 100,000 dollars. One man brought divining rods and said he could locate water underground, another woman said she could read minds, and so on. Each contestant was put through the traces, but none of them could prove they had the powers that they claimed. So no one got the money, and the host said they simply weren't able to prove very much that night.

If this show was ever given a second chance, and was scripted by the producers, there would be at least two potential winners involved in a face off, two of the other contestants would have become a couple by the end of it, and a psychic obstacle course involving electric shocks probably would have been worked in somewhere. :lol:

It's just hard to get the results you want on a "reality" TV show if you don't try to script things out in advance.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other reality tv starts have been on shows like DWTS and Wife Swap to promote their shows. It may be too little too late now, but they could have jumped their popularity by not limiting themselves. I know Jill'swedding episodes got 4 million plus viewers, but I imagine a majority of the coutnry still don't know who they are and viewers would tire of courtships,weddings, and baby announcements. Just think if they expanded beyond an occasional GMA segment or Faux News for promotion. Michelle could wife swap with one of the Browns. I think Jinger would be great for DWTS.

The thing is that the Duggar family's wholesome appeal only works in a carefully scripted, edited and planned tv environment. Otherwise their crazy and bigotry would show way too much.

So, shows which thrive on conflict (wife swap) or include secular activities and people (imagine Jinger having to deal with ebil gays on the dance show) are out of the question.

Don't get me wrong, seeing the Duggars making fools of themselves on such a tv show would probably be highly entertaining, but I think that even the Duggars aren't that stupid and delusional that they would agree to do such a thing. At least, as long as they have enough money and leg-humpers to get by.

I think Jinger would be great for DWTS.

Fundies don't dance. Dancing is considered as beyond the pale as smoking or watching R rated movies -- after all, people who dance with each other will want to have sex, and we all know that won't be allowed. If the dancing itself was allowed, the music on shows like DWTS is also "sinful".

I was astonished to see the Robertsons allowed their teenage daughter to appear on the show. Then again, they spent the entire time she was on it freaking out over the costumes, insisting they had to be "dad approved". It was unbelievably annoying.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of them outside of their natural habitat. Maybe Josiah and Marj doing The Amazing Race.

OMG, I would LOVE to see Josiah and Marge—or better yet, any two Duggars—on Amazing Race. The show's editors would totally go to town on them; they'd probably make "Amazing Grace" their musical cue and give them multiple gongs per episode. Phil Keoghan can be pretty snarky in his own right, so he and his eyebrow would undoubtedly give them a hard time before they're inevitably eliminated for taking a penalty over a dancing roadblock.

Bonus points if it's a season that happens to involve visiting multiple temples of different faiths.

The problem is that the Duggar kids cannot operate without a script. They have lived their entire lives parroting what their parents have said. I do not see how any of them can participate on a reality show that isn’t at least partially scripted. The Duggar kids have never come across as particularly witty or even as though they would be able to keep up with a spontaneous intelligent conversation. Jill may be the talker of the family she doesn’t say anything that sets her apart from her sisters. There is nothing to make any of them stick out from the pack. They are like that old group Menudo, just switch one out when they get to old and the group dynamic doesn’t change. They lack the individuality that would make them a breakout star such as Snooki from Jersey Shore. Further, they lack the critical thinking skills to do any show like The Amazing Race, as was suggested, or any type of show where they have to think and make their own decisions. Those shows are hard for the extremely educated and people who have actually lived life. I cannot see the Duggars making it past the first round. Plus, I cringe at their going seeing other cultures and having a repeat of the Ethiopian restaurant episode. It would just be humiliating for them and I wouldn't want that for the kids. What reality show could they on where they don’t have to say anything not scripted and don’t have to critically think?

The Duggars can only do a 19 kids type show because they can showcase what they know best such as packing for trips, making tater tot casserole and yelling Nike. They are pretty much tapped out for material as we have seen it all many times. They can only, and will only, sell what they know. There will never be an out of the box reality show with Jinger moving on her own to the big city or Jana going to a secular college. No one is going to be on a show about questioning their belief system or spending type with people who have lived a different lifestyle. They aren’t going to drastically change who they are or what they believe for a reality show and they shouldn’t anyway. I have no reason to believe that any of them want a life drastically different from the one they grew up with. We can speculate as to that but there is no real evidence of it. So what kind of reality show is left for them? I cannot think of a show any of the Duggars, could or would do, that would actually make people want to watch and we haven’t see before.

Plus, I cringe at their going seeing other cultures and having a repeat of the Ethiopian restaurant episode. It would just be humiliating for them and I wouldn't want that for the kids. What reality show could they on where they don’t have to say anything not scripted and don’t have to critically think?

Did you miss "Duggars Do Asia"? (TLC name, no joke) There were plenty of set-ups with them eating.

- They had a traditional Japanese breakfast and for the most part it wasn't too embarrassing. A few of the lost girls loved it, but grandma Mary seemed grossed out and said the fish tasted like rubber. The worst part was a few of the howlers sneaking in crackers and cheese.

-They had a sushi making competition and the loser had to eat Josie's sushi. Jim Boob lost and took a bite. It was pretty embarrassing considering they were at some top sushi chef school.

- They were taken to a "Pickle" restaurant where they served eleventy styles of pickles. I think they made some faces there too.

And this is why children need protection on reality tv. A child actor could say I'm playing a role and can walk away from that role a kid on reality tv can't. The image that's portrayed of them is forever. They can never step away from that. Look at Maddie from dance moms who is portrayed as a brat. Viewers will always see her as a brat even after the show is gone. Now look at the Duggar kids. Josie will one day see herself on tv shitting her pants. It may be funny now, but it's not going to be funny when she's 16.

I didn't know people besides my mom thought Maddie was a brat lol It's quite clear that she is forced to do things she's uncpmfortable with by Abby or her mom. I always thought she was very shy except when she performed.

The problem is that the Duggar kids cannot operate without a script. They have lived their entire lives parroting what their parents have said. I do not see how any of them can participate on a reality show that isn’t at least partially scripted. The Duggar kids have never come across as particularly witty or even as though they would be able to keep up with a spontaneous intelligent conversation. Jill may be the talker of the family she doesn’t say anything that sets her apart from her sisters. There is nothing to make any of them stick out from the pack. They are like that old group Menudo, just switch one out when they get to old and the group dynamic doesn’t change. They lack the individuality that would make them a breakout star such as Snooki from Jersey Shore. Further, they lack the critical thinking skills to do any show like The Amazing Race, as was suggested, or any type of show where they have to think and make their own decisions. Those shows are hard for the extremely educated and people who have actually lived life. I cannot see the Duggars making it past the first round. Plus, I cringe at their going seeing other cultures and having a repeat of the Ethiopian restaurant episode. It would just be humiliating for them and I wouldn't want that for the kids. What reality show could they on where they don’t have to say anything not scripted and don’t have to critically think?

The Duggars can only do a 19 kids type show because they can showcase what they know best such as packing for trips, making tater tot casserole and yelling Nike. They are pretty much tapped out for material as we have seen it all many times. They can only, and will only, sell what they know. There will never be an out of the box reality show with Jinger moving on her own to the big city or Jana going to a secular college. No one is going to be on a show about questioning their belief system or spending type with people who have lived a different lifestyle. They aren’t going to drastically change who they are or what they believe for a reality show and they shouldn’t anyway. I have no reason to believe that any of them want a life drastically different from the one they grew up with. We can speculate as to that but there is no real evidence of it. So what kind of reality show is left for them? I cannot think of a show any of the Duggars, could or would do, that would actually make people want to watch and we haven’t see before.

I agree with all of this, but I liked it mostly for the Menudo reference. :lol:

Seriously, I'm so with you on the reality show thing. I've always found the idea of a spinoff with Jill and/or Jessa ludicrous. The ONLY "interesting" about is that there are 19 kids. Not one of them individually can keep people interested for more than a couple of episodes. A spinoff would only make sense if it were one of the kids leaving the lifestyle, and if one of them were to leave I don't think they'd be inclined to want their own show.

Fundies don't dance. Dancing is considered as beyond the pale as smoking or watching R rated movies -- after all, people who dance with each other will want to have sex, and we all know that won't be allowed. If the dancing itself was allowed, the music on shows like DWTS is also "sinful".

I was astonished to see the Robertsons allowed their teenage daughter to appear on the show. Then again, they spent the entire time she was on it freaking out over the costumes, insisting they had to be "dad approved". It was unbelievably annoying.

Their flavor of fundie doesn't dance, but plenty of other fundies do ;-)

My completely baseless theory: Jessa and Ben announce they're joining the mission trip, and the sisters propose and/or get a reality show where TLC films them missioning. You know people would watch the heck out of that. Scenes where they coo at a little kid in a foreign language after the nurses on the trip give him immunizations, and scenes where they give out candy and apples to starved-looking kids, and scenes where they pray with parents and hug and just gosh-golly bring hearts to Christ. Tell me the viewership wouldn't eat that up -- and it would eliminate the problem of Jim-Bob and Josh being anywhere near filming.

I'm still holding out for the Fundie Bachelor some here described. At the beginning the bachelor gives each bachelorette a piece of his heart and they have to give it back when they get asked to leave...

I would also love to see speed dating fundies. Fundie dating game, newlywed game, or eVen just the Duggars on the Family Feud. They would have no clue to most of the questions but damn, their answers would be hilarious.

OMG, I would LOVE to see Josiah and Marge—or better yet, any two Duggars—on Amazing Race. The show's editors would totally go to town on them; they'd probably make "Amazing Grace" their musical cue and give them multiple gongs per episode. Phil Keoghan can be pretty snarky in his own right, so he and his eyebrow would undoubtedly give them a hard time before they're inevitably eliminated for taking a penalty over a dancing roadblock.

Bonus points if it's a season that happens to involve visiting multiple temples of different faiths.

yes I could see Siah and Jinger doing it ( aren't they close anyway?)

If the story about J'Chelle & Boob and Josh getting sued is really true, what will TLC do?

I think that would be the last straw and the show (including possible specials) would get cancelled for sure.

Bring back Wipeout. I'd totally watch them on Wipeout. 8-)

I'd buy a ticket to see that shit.

I love that idea!

Yessssssssssssssss that would be awesome

They would be hilarious on Fear Factor!

I love it! Hopefully on Fear Factor, they would have to eat something really weird or disgusting like a cockroach.

or wife swap or supernanny. I would love to see Jo Frost call out JimChelle on their bs. And I think they should be matched with an atheist family or a conservative family where the woman works and is educated. That would be fun to watch.

or wife swap or supernanny. I would love to see Jo Frost call out JimChelle on their bs. And I think they should be matched with an atheist family or a conservative family where the woman works and is educated. That would be fun to watch.

oh my goodness, either/both of those would be awesome!

Hell, I'd just settle for a cross-over show with the Little Family or whatever it's called. Seeing perfectionist professional Jen working with Preemie miracle Josie would be very interesting and entertaining. Granted the TTH would be a death-trap for the two little person toddlers.

Hell, I'd just settle for a cross-over show with the Little Family or whatever it's called. Seeing perfectionist professional Jen working with Preemie miracle Josie would be very interesting and entertaining. Granted the TTH would be a death-trap for the two little person toddlers.

Noooooo not the Klein Arnolds!!! Not that they wouldn't be able to defend themselves perfectly well against the malevolent crazy of the Duggar, I just hate the thought of them sullied by association. Haven't Bill and Jen had enough bad luck in their lives?!?!? ;)

Archived