IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting Pulled From Line-Up/Show Future - Merge

nomoxian

Vancouver/Vancouver Island. Basically southwest/coastal BC.

Thanks, I'm an idiot! :mrgreen:

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Duggars don't own the show, TLC does. So the Duggars can't sell the unaired episodes or do anything with them because they have no rights to them. The Duggars can't even start a show with the same name because TLC owns the name. I can't see a subscription service working because they would still have to put out money to film the episodes and I don't see people paying just to see another wisdom tooth episode. Glenn Beck is his own type of crazy and appeals to the like minded nuts. He also brings the crazy to wHatever is the big news story of the day. I wouldn't pay for Beck but I see why others do.

The Duggars don't own the show, TLC does. So the Duggars can't sell the unaired episodes or do anything with them because they have no rights to them. The Duggars can't even start a show with the same name because TLC owns the name. I can't see a subscription service working because they would still have to put out money to film the episodes and I don't see people paying just to see another wisdom tooth episode. Glenn Beck is his own type of crazy and appeals to the like minded nuts. He also brings the crazy to wHatever is the big news story of the day. I wouldn't pay for Beck but I see why others do.

This is what I was thinking. They most likely put in the contract that the Duggars have no access to the footage in this life or the next. Can you imagine if reality stars could sue for footage every time a show was cancelled or they were canned? Good grief, it'd be mayhem.

TLC is starting a new show called I am jazz about a biological boy whose family is allowing him and raising him to be a transgender girl.that is how Kaitlyn general was brought into the picture.

please forgive my pronoun usage.

I think this is a terrible idea, and just as bad or worse exploitation of children than the Duggars. Reality TV isn't teal, it thrives on controversy. Chances are the producers will stir up controversy and put this poor girl into situations where she'll experience bigotry so that their audience of vultures can cluck their tongues while a young girl is forced to suffer for their entertainment on screen.

Maybe a special about the family. Another dog and pony show? Not going to contribute to a healthy childhood in which she can be herself with a minimum of drama because of who she is. :(

Minors can't consent to this bullshit. I would prefer reality to be restricted to adults.

I'd prefer that all "Reality TV" just go away. It's detrimental to the TV industry. It's bad for society. Bring back scripted shows with paid actors, high production values, and stop with the exploitation. However, as long as people keep watching, it will continue.

For all those saying reality TV is not real...

It is real for a few reasons:

The little kids are filmed living their every day lives, so the content being aired is something that happened to X person (many times a minor) while that person was just living their life. For example when Josie had feces running down her leg or when she had the seizure. Josie cannot say, "well, I was only playing a part and those things were play acting..." No, those occurrences actually happened to Josie. They were real.

The effects or consequences for being on a reality TV are real- The girls had real, large weddings, with beautiful, expensive gowns, lots of guests and received many thousands of dollars worth of gifts- ALL real. IMO, another real and negative consequence is the sense of entitlement that has been breed. The MK interviews were about egomaniacs thinking that they deserve this platform (and the $$$$$ derived) because they are real and doing real work.

I generally agree with your post, but that doesn't discount the dozens of other scenes in countless other shows that have been scripted, re-written, and re-filmed until perfect.

I generally agree with your post, but that doesn't discount the dozens of other scenes in countless other shows that have been scripted, re-written, and re-filmed until perfect.

Yes, I understand that the much of the show is not in REAL time or candid.

This is what I was thinking. They most likely put in the contract that the Duggars have no access to the footage in this life or the next. Can you imagine if reality stars could sue for footage every time a show was cancelled or they were canned? Good grief, it'd be mayhem.

That isn't in the contract. Very few of them are in the position to exploit those assets. The Duggars are. The cost of them going away is those assets. Get it? Otherwise, there's millions of dollars and years of legal tie ups

Yes, I understand that the much of the show is not in REAL time or candid.

I actually know someone that was in a reality show. Their back stories were greatly exaggerated, and while the scenes themselves weren't scripted the show consisted of them being taken to locations and let loose to see what would happen. It was not their real lives, at all, and many things that did happen were taken out of context and twisted.

Don't be fooled.

I actually know someone that was in a reality show. Their back stories were greatly exaggerated, and while the scenes themselves weren't scripted the show consisted of them being taken to locations and let loose to see what would happen. It was not their real lives, at all, and many things that did happen were taken out of context and twisted.

Don't be fooled.

Same.

I generally feel that reality shows are largely scripted/re-enacted/exaggerated. The scenes we see that are "reality" may be there, but they're 1 in 100 and are basically only there because they are so out there that they couldn't be more dramatic even if you recreated them, like Josie's incident.

That isn't in the contract. Very few of them are in the position to exploit those assets. The Duggars are. The cost of them going away is those assets. Get it? Otherwise, there's millions of dollars and years of legal tie ups

According to Google, it is in the contract that all footage and material is owned AND copyrighted by the production company and the rights are purchased by the network. They signed their rights to that material away a long time ago.

For all those saying reality TV is not real...

It is real for a few reasons:

The little kids are filmed living their every day lives, so the content being aired is something that happened to X person (many times a minor) while that person was just living their life. For example when Josie had feces running down her leg or when she had the seizure. Josie cannot say, "well, I was only playing a part and those things were play acting..." No, those occurrences actually happened to Josie. They were real.

The effects or consequences for being on a reality TV are real- The girls had real, large weddings, with beautiful, expensive gowns, lots of guests and received many thousands of dollars worth of gifts- ALL real. IMO, another real and negative consequence is the sense of entitlement that has been breed. The MK interviews were about egomaniacs thinking that they deserve this platform (and the $$$$$ derived) because they are real and doing real work.

I think that those few times when something "real" was captured on 19K&C were sheer coincidences. In most cases, those moments were unplanned medical emergencies, like Josie's emergency birth or Jason falling into an orchestra pit. In general, what we saw on the show was carefully planned and re-enacted. The Duggar weddings were real from a legal standpoint, but at the same time, they were also plots in a TV show, and some scenes were fake, or at least re-enacted. Without TLC money, I doubt that Jill or Jessa would have had fundie princess weddings with thousands of guests. It sort of reminds me of how acting was done in the silent era, where there really wasn't much of a script, and the director would just bark out general directions and the actors would mime it out.

I have a friend (who kinda turned into an asshole) who was on a reality competition show. He said a lot of what we saw was fake (like a "secret" alliance that was played up wasn't secret at all), some things outside the actual competitions were staged, and a lot was left out. But also that the the producers captured a lot of the personalities very well. But they didn't quite show what a Slytherin this friend is (no offense to Slytherins, they just ignored his cunning attempts and manipulation).

I have a friend (who kinda turned into an asshole) who was on a reality competition show. He said a lot of what we saw was fake (like a "secret" alliance that was played up wasn't secret at all), some things outside the actual competitions were staged, and a lot was left out. But also that the the producers captured a lot of the personalities very well. But they didn't quite show what a Slytherin this friend is (no offense to Slytherins, they just ignored his cunning attempts and manipulation).

One of my father's colleagues has a daughter that went on the Bachelor one year (and actually won.) The colleague actually participated in part of the filming and he and the daughter provided a lot of insight to my father. A few things that stuck out:

1)Production would often film things, and then cut, redirect and then film again. For example; during the "visit the family" episode, apparently production, while the Bachelor was being interviewed they would cut, and tell him to ask harder questions. Several things were also edited: sometimes someone would say something production would ask them to, only to laugh right afterward. The laughter would be edited out.

2)The daughter claimed the woman edited as kind of the season's villain was actually very nice.

3) One family of one of the top girls left apparently refused to be on TV for the interview episode. The girl then, SHOCKINGLY, was cut right before that episode.

It seemed as if production was trying to make up a story arc, and got hours and hours of footage to package nicely into episodes that told a story they could sell to the viewers.

What we gathered was that most of the events depicted on TV were real, but portrayed in such an edited way that of course, it left out a lot of context and distorted the way things actually happened. Of course, the after effects were very real; this woman did end up getting engaged to the Bachelor, although they ended the engagement a little while after the finale aired, and now have been apart and moved on with separate lives for quite some time.

So I imagine, that's how they do the Duggars. Obviously, they were edited to look a lot more wholesome and nice than they are, the editing of course downplayed the real life difficulties and impracticalities of the lifestyle, instead glamorizing it, and blurring out the pro-life T-shirts. Of course, the effects it has are very real; Benessa/the Dillards obviously got a nicer lifestyle/wedding than they ever could have hoped for, Josie will suffer the effects of her having an accident on national TV. So...the narrative of reality tv is absolutely not real, but what you see has a very real effect on very real people.

Edited for typos.

Vancouver/Vancouver Island. Basically southwest/coastal BC.

Where we held the Winter Olympics some years ago. :lol:

According to Google, it is in the contract that all footage and material is owned AND copyrighted by the production company and the rights are purchased by the network. They signed their rights to that material away a long time ago.

I know. The production company has a contract with Doscovery Networks. The idea is to free up all TLC rights to the show.

One of the competitive reality shows, I'm not sure which one, but it's on a cable network, I think RuPaul's Drag Race maybe... I heard that when they film the "finale" where the winner is announced, they do three different takes as each of the final contestants winning, then it's decided later who actually won and then just use the proper footage for the winner when it airs.... I think it has something to do with the "viewer voting" since it wasn't really live.... I hardly believe that some of the "viewer voting" decisions are right anyway.

One of the competitive reality shows, I'm not sure which one, but it's on a cable network, I think RuPaul's Drag Race maybe... I heard that when they film the "finale" where the winner is announced, they do three different takes as each of the final contestants winning, then it's decided later who actually won and then just use the proper footage for the winner when it airs.... I think it has something to do with the "viewer voting" since it wasn't really live.... I hardly believe that some of the "viewer voting" decisions are right anyway.

I read something on the internet that implies they do that for Masterchef (on Fox.)

Also RE: viewer voting, on American Idol they used to have a disclaimer at the end that basically said that production could override the voting results if they REALLY didn't agree with them. So...

The secrets behind reality shows have been revealed quite a bit of over the years. The first cast of the Real World said that some things were staged or reenacted. Cast members from that season said there were times that cameras weren't rolling in the house, but crew members would be around observing them and then they would have the cast members reenact "incidents" for the cameras.

VH1 did a documentary on reality shows secrets years ago. Rocco DiSpirto's first reality show The Restaurant was discussed. NBC and the production company paid people to hang out at Rocco's restaurant and accident that a waiter had was re-enacted for the show. That documentary covered other shows.

Bridezillas was exposed as being staged, when someone who was at a restaurant blogged about how customers were told that Bridezillas would be filming there and there was a fight for the show that was staged in the restaurant.

E!'s short lived show Dirty Soap, which was about several soap stars was exposed for several things. The show claimed that Kelly Monanco from General Hospital was single and dealing with a breakup from her long time boyfriend. In reality, she already had a new boyfriend during the filming of that show, but he wasn't mentioned or filmed for the show.

With 19kac and other TLC shows, staging probably goes on. Breaking Amish and other Amish shows have been exposed and called out on various web sites. One incident on Breaking Amish that stood out to be as being staged was when Sabrina was going around NYC asking strangers about Puerto Rican culture. She had Puerto Rican heritage and said she was curious about it. The scenes of her going up to people and asking questions were painful to watch because you could tell that she was being pressured by producers to ask questions. Then it looked more staged when she all of sudden connected with a Puerto Rican woman who owned a restaurant. Other stuff about the Breaking Amish cast came out, but they managed to get sequel shows and having a new season airing right now.

And this is why children need protection on reality tv. A child actor could say I'm playing a role and can walk away from that role a kid on reality tv can't. The image that's portrayed of them is forever. They can never step away from that. Look at Maddie from dance moms who is portrayed as a brat. Viewers will always see her as a brat even after the show is gone. Now look at the Duggar kids. Josie will one day see herself on tv shitting her pants. It may be funny now, but it's not going to be funny when she's 16.

I'd prefer that all "Reality TV" just go away. It's detrimental to the TV industry. It's bad for society. Bring back scripted shows with paid actors, high production values, and stop with the exploitation. However, as long as people keep watching, it will continue.

I'm also feeling the same way, about wanting reality TV to go away. With what has happend with the Duggars, HBB, and a couple of shows, I'm watching reality TV less and less. I do prefer scripted shows over reality shows. There are a lot of great scripted shows being produced these days with great actors. There are some not so good scripted shows that I watch as a guilty pleasures, but I have to give the actors on those shows credit for working their asses off to get in the entertainment industry.

If I had to chose between watching some teen show on the CW and a Duggar girls spinoff. I would go with the CW show.

And this is why children need protection on reality tv. A child actor could say I'm playing a role and can walk away from that role a kid on reality tv can't. The image that's portrayed of them is forever. They can never step away from that. Look at Maddie from dance moms who is portrayed as a brat. Viewers will always see her as a brat even after the show is gone. Now look at the Duggar kids. Josie will one day see herself on tv shitting her pants. It may be funny now, but it's not going to be funny when she's 16.

I feel sorry for more reality show kids than the current child actors. There was a lot exploitation of child actors in the past and according to some gossip sites and columnists, it's still going on today. The reality show business will hurt kids in different ways like you said.

I'm a big fan of Big Brother. I get the live feeds as well. So to see what CBS puts on the air vs what is seen on the feeds sometimes feels like different shows. I know a lot of the diary room stuff is prompted. I had a friend who did the show a few years ago.

I'm a big fan of Big Brother. I get the live feeds as well. So to see what CBS puts on the air vs what is seen on the feeds sometimes feels like different shows. I know a lot of the diary room stuff is prompted. I had a friend who did the show a few years ago.

I'm also a big fan of Big Brother. It's a game and not a portrayal of someone's alleged life. This is the only "reality" show that plays out as it is happening and I agree that the episode narrative is often very different than what is really happening in the house. So I can't imagine the liberties other reality shows take in promoting their storyline. I am not a fan of any other reality TV show.

To me 19KAC is not Reality at all. I started watching 19KAC because my amazing brother-in-law is one of 17 children from a very religious Irish Catholic family. It has been very enlightening to me to have his commentary on the Duggar family and to hear first hand about the harsh reality of growing up in a religious mega family.

Archived