IGNORED

Thank God Mr. Keller didn't pick my husband

salex

No you aren't, but if that ever happens I hope that he would get professional counselling, realize that there are "worldly" people who would have be supportive of him in a positive fashion, and that he could get some very good lawyers so that he could fight for custody of Paul & Davia.

Yeah, I do feel sorry for the poor guy. Hes way more sympathetic than Josh or John. He may come across as impatient-he didn't want to get married, and Priscilla is just so hopelessly dumb, and I feel sorry for both of them because she loves him and doesn't understand why he doesn't act the same way, but he hasn't done anything outright harmful to Priscilla or seriously hurt anyone.

He isn't someone I have ever hated or been really mad at, hes just a ridiculous weirdo.

I was thinking the same thing -- Pa Keller needs to lay off the matchmaking and maybe do some soul-searching. I'm sure he's rushed into these courtships in order to eventually have one less mouth to feed, but he did no favors to Anna or Priss.

If Mike Keller was my father, I would run off and sought refuge with my liberal cousins.

I would not want Pa Keller choosing my husband either. One thing to remember is he has MS. I have seen lots of comments that he looks weird or creepy but I know a man that has MS and is in his late 50's and has a lot of the same mannerisms and eye movements issues.

What I would like to know is what made Pa Keller go from owning a home in a subdivision and working a normal job to selling his home, buying a trailer and starting the ministry. It seemed almost like a Gil Bates story? When Pa Keller started the ministry, he had no salary and they were dirt poor. What man has a bunch of kids and gives up a job with a salary and a comfortable home to live in poverty in a trailer and work with the prisoners?

I would not want Pa Keller choosing my husband either. One thing to remember is he has MS. I have seen lots of comments that he looks weird or creepy but I know a man that has MS and is in his late 50's and has a lot of the same mannerisms and eye movements issues.

What I would like to know is what made Pa Keller go from owning a home in a subdivision and working a normal job to selling his home, buying a trailer and starting the ministry. It seemed almost like a Gil Bates story? When Pa Keller started the ministry, he had no salary and they were dirt poor. What man has a bunch of kids and gives up a job with a salary and a comfortable home to live in poverty in a trailer and work with the prisoners?

He did that? No wonder he thought John Shrader was a catch!

He is the one who does all those prison ministries though . . . It doesn't shock me he would overlook Josh's past.

He found Jesus, so the rest doesn't matter. . . :evil:

They shunned their son for marrying a woman who was in a transitional youth home though. She was good enough to minister too, but not a real person in their eyes. I think the emphasis on purity is way stronger with women though. A fundie woman can marry a reformed male, but a fundie male can't marry a reformed women because she is somehow tainted.

Mr. Keller probably doesn't care. Don't fundies marry off quick? The kellers are poor right? Less mouths to feed.

And we all thought that Anna got the long straw for marrying Josh, because at least he was (because of the show) able to provide for her and obviously loved her. Remember how we all agreed Anna got the best deal of all of them besides the married girl who left?

I think now that we all had it backwards. Where's the crying smiley? I need it.

Oh yeah, I was one of those, too. :angry-banghead: Even though I felt that Pa Keller was not going to say "no" because of Duggar fame, I still felt she married someone who could provide, even if it was TLC money, and who also appeared to be really attracted to her. Felt of all the three Keller girls, she got the best deal. Not now. Now I feel ALL of them got a bum deal in shape or form.

Pa Keller just comes off as a complete kook- even for a fundie. When regular folks meet him- they have to know that something is off within the first 15 minutes or so. I think Mr. Keller has attracted a motley group of suitors for his daughters because most people would hit the bricks after the first meeting.

I think Pa's requirements for suitors are men who parrot his beliefs and will sit and listen to his nonsensical musings on life and religion.

When was Priscilla Crying about to God about not feeling the love for David b4 getting Married? They made it seem like Priscilla wanted to marry David for a while, but he was Dragging his feet.

P.S. i always thought David was gay, and just keeping up appearances cuz his family was Loaded

• 2 months later...

They shunned their son for marrying a woman who was in a transitional youth home though. She was good enough to minister too, but not a real person in their eyes.

But Josh the criminal is suitable enough?!

I like Pa Keller himself. I get the feeling that he is a good man. However, he sure does suck at picking husbands.

Gil Bates on the other hand seems like a shifty grifter up to no good. But he sure does take care of his daughters in the husband department.

In my view it's more good luck than Gil's good judgement that has landed the Bates girls decent husbands. And we don't really know what John and Alyssa's relationship is like. Sure, he's "let" her relax the dress code a bit, but I suspect that has more to do with maintaining his father's mainstream political appeal and wanting his pretty young wife to look attractive than it does him being more liberal about gender roles. And while Chad seems to be a sweet man who dotes on Erin we know very little about Brandon Killeen and what we do know doesn't particularly impress me. He seems to be extremely conservative and has seemed lukewarm about marrying Michael - they courted for a really long time by fundie standards.

I think that Gil, much like Michael Kellar, would have married his daughters to any man who ticked all the Gothard boxes and said the right things. He's chosen two sons of ATI royalty and the son of one of America's most notoriously socially conservative senators, again with deep ATI roots. The young men are very similar to those chosen by Pa Kellar - John was heavily into ATI when he married Esther - and if they are (for now) more stable than the husbands of the Kellar sisters it's through luck not planning.

No you aren't, but if that ever happens I hope that he would get professional counselling, realize that there are "worldly" people who would have be supportive of him in a positive fashion, and that he could get some very good lawyers so that he could fight for custody of Paul & Davia.

Why do you believe David, who has never been their primary caregiver, should gain custody of the Waller children in the event of a divorce? It would shatter Priscilla, who seems to be a good mother and who has simply followed the directions of the men in authority over her, as she has been taught since birth?

When was Priscilla Crying about to God about not feeling the love for David b4 getting Married? They made it seem like Priscilla wanted to marry David for a while, but he was Dragging his feet.

P.S. i always thought David was gay, and just keeping up appearances cuz his family was Loaded

I am wondering the same thing, I always got the impression Priscilla was way more into him than he was into her, it was almost sad... I'm interested in seeing where you got that info ?

• 5 weeks later...

With the latest Joshgate scandal, I'm so, so glad Pa Keller doesn't get to pick who I'm married to. He really knows how to pick a winner, amiright?

In my view it's more good luck than Gil's good judgement that has landed the Bates girls decent husbands. And we don't really know what John and Alyssa's relationship is like. Sure, he's "let" her relax the dress code a bit, but I suspect that has more to do with maintaining his father's mainstream political appeal and wanting his pretty young wife to look attractive than it does him being more liberal about gender roles. And while Chad seems to be a sweet man who dotes on Erin we know very little about Brandon Killeen and what we do know doesn't particularly impress me. He seems to be extremely conservative and has seemed lukewarm about marrying Michael - they courted for a really long time by fundie standards.

I think that Gil, much like Michael Kellar, would have married his daughters to any man who ticked all the Gothard boxes and said the right things. He's chosen two sons of ATI royalty and the son of one of America's most notoriously socially conservative senators, again with deep ATI roots. The young men are very similar to those chosen by Pa Kellar - John was heavily into ATI when he married Esther - and if they are (for now) more stable than the husbands of the Kellar sisters it's through luck not planning.

Without knowing any details, and given the track record of ATI men, it is certainly possible that the Bates husbands will 'live up' to the Keller husbands. However, the Bates husbands seem to be better matches. This is probably because (and this is terrible to say) #1 the Bates girls are prettier than the Keller girls and #2 Gil's relative success (IBPL leadership, TV show, etc.). This increased their options, making a better match likely.

Given the sketchiness of the entire organization, I don't think this necessarily means the Bates husbands will stand up perfectly over time. But things look shinier on the surface, for now.

Archived