IGNORED

Anna Sofia Botkinette weareth ebil jeans

love2scrap

I'm sure he feels all manly and shit, but going into your mom's kitchen under arms in a peaceful setting just screams, "I'm a disrespectful douchebag."

Disagree. My (decidedly non-fundie) Texan fella carries all the time. Short of being naked or wearing swim trunks, he's always got his gun on him. Not saying that's what this guy is up to, but wearing a gun in your mom's kitchen isn't inherently disrespectful--home invasions are a reality.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree. My (decidedly non-fundie) Texan fella carries all the time. Short of being naked or wearing swim trunks, he's always got his gun on him. Not saying that's what this guy is up to, but wearing a gun in your mom's kitchen isn't inherently disrespectful--home invasions are a reality.

Everyone in the family is a major firearms enthusiast, in fact isn't that their home business? I'm sure they see it as a little advertising to always be carrying. "Excuse me, is that a gun you're wearing at a $% family dinner?" "Why yes, it's from our new line of products, would you like to see it?"

Of course if he showed up at my house like that I would NOT open the door until he put that thing away.

Her parents are Egyptian.

Edited to sound less Maxhellian! *shudder!*

Interesting. Assuming her parents were born in Egypt, was the family Coptic and then they became Protestant? Or were they Muslim and then converted to Christianity? I've always wondered about her and her family's story.

Edited because of a typo.

I carry the largest legally permissible knife available when I go out and I keep it sharp enough to shave with. And yes, I do know how to use it. But in all my years of being out at night in an allegedly dangerous area, I, a woman with a cane, have never been attacked. And that is why no one who sees me on the street even knows I'm armed - because the only time you brandish a weapon is if you intend to kill with it and I have never found myself in that situation here - 17 years on.

I'm usually really "anal" about locking our doors, but one night - and just one night - I entirely forgot and simply went to bed. This woman walks in, not realizing whose apartment she was in; she was high on something.

How did I handle the slightly unstable coked up teenager in my kitchen? Uh, we talked; I fed her - I told her she was in the wrong damned apartment. I then called the paramedics and she went with them to hospital. She never saw a knife.

I imagine if she had then there's be an unnecessarily dead coked up teenager on my conscience because she likely would have freaked out and there's no reason for me to believe that she wasn't also carrying at least a small knife of her own - and if someone pulls a knife on me...I expect that means she wants to kill me.

My husband is disabled almost to the point of immobility, but he is armed when I'm not home - and even when I am. Like me, however, he keeps his weapon out of sight.

If I carried a knife on my hip into my mother's kitchen, she would kick my ass.

How many times has your home been invaded? I'm serious; when your husband straps a pistol to his side and openly carries it, does he honestly think, 'This is the day street thugs or terrorists target US?'

And how can he claim to be worried about this possibility if he doesn't also insist you carry?

If your husband openly carries, and everywhere, then he is basically inviting trouble - and so are you.

Home invasions aren't a thing that is so prevalent that everybody needs a weapon on them at all times to prevent one.

And most of the people who carry regularly don't even shoot or train to muscle memory, and wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn if it came to them having to fire under duress.

Home invasions aren't a thing that is so prevalent that everybody needs a weapon on them at all times to prevent one.

And most of the people who carry regularly don't even shoot or train to muscle memory, and wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn if it came to them having to fire under duress.

Home invasions are not only not prevalent, but are even less so with a resident present, and only a fraction are single family homes. And only a fraction result in violence. And the majority of those involving violence involve a perpetrator the victim knows. Stats:

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

The stats on how often a gun in the home results in death or injury to family members, particularly children, are much more frightening. But somehow, people convince themselves that the gun will protect them from strangers unlikely to attack them in the first place while the statistically more likely event of a family member being injured or killed with it falls under the "won't happen to me" category. :angry-banghead:

There's basically a scale in how people deal with each other and this scale measures the likelihood of violence. Most people meet or sit on the bus and it's at zero or maybe one if someone is really obnoxious.

Strangers get into a shouting fight and maybe it's a three or a four - fists at five or six. Then someone either flashes a weapon or is simply openly carrying it, and it's instant 10. And if he pulls it...

That makes perfect sense. I mean, what other purpose is there with a weapon? If a situation is already heated, it only adds to the tension and makes things worse. Add to that the false sense of security somebody holding a weapon has, and now you've got somebody who feels in control of a bad situation and begins to take action where none was really needed.

And I LIKE shooting, I enjoy it. I just think open carry/concealed carry and all the crap that goes with it is bullshit.

love2scrap, are you FB friends with A-S? I'm sure not seeing that pic on her page - she's got it locked down pretty tight.

Re: the wearing of the guns - little Lucas is all about firearms, all the time. Take a look at the T-Rex Arms FB page, chock-full of shoot-em up videos: facebook.com/trexarmskydex?fref=ts

Ditto the company's website, full of oh-so-familiar Botkinesque hyperbole (trex-arms.com):

WHO ARE WE?

T.REX ARMS is a company of men and women striving continually to improve the gear we produce for carrying firearms and other life-saving equipment. In addition to building holsters and other carriers, we develop nylon gear, analyze new handgun technology and evaluate equipment from other companies.

Keeping up with advancements in technology is important to us, whether it’s reddots on handguns, IR illuminators for night vision employment, or modular gear systems. In this constantly changing industry, our goal is to be light on our feet and adapt.

We’re known for the unconventional gear we produce. Which is why T.REX ARMS gets approached by special operations units with unusual requirements, law enforcement personnel needing something unique, or civilians needing concealed-carrying solutions for handguns with weapon lights.

We’re here to serve the firearms industry by constantly upgrading our ability to meet your needs…

:roll:

A-S will celebrate her 30th birthday this year. Maybe wearing jeans is her way of throwing her bonnet over the windmill, and letting the world know she's ready to have some real fun!

Does this family have young kids (I just know about the unmarried sellers of beauty and their creepy daddy)? If so, it makes sense that the gun would be on him, to keep it away from any kids that might be in the house.

A little odd to open carry, but some people do it as a statement of their rights. Or he had a jacket on outside and it was concealed. I've carried many a weapon, always legally and concealed. Some people thing open carry is safer so no one messes with you.

Does this family have young kids (I just know about the unmarried sellers of beauty and their creepy daddy)? If so, it makes sense that the gun would be on him, to keep it away from any kids that might be in the house.

A little odd to open carry, but some people do it as a statement of their rights. Or he had a jacket on outside and it was concealed. I've carried many a weapon, always legally and concealed. Some people thing open carry is safer so no one messes with you.

My own theory is that open-carry is basically an invitation to "mess with you." Depending on what area a person is in, he or she is not the only one armed - and open-carry is a bold statement that basically says, "I'm prepared to kill any of you at any time if I see what I perceive to be a threat - so prepared, in fact, that I do not conceal my firearm/other weapon(s). I'm prepared to turn a bar brawl into a bar massacre."

Save that enthusiasm for the shooting range. These weapons are designed to kill. That is what they are for. I don't remember the saying correctly: If you think like a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail - something to that effect.

My own theory is that open-carry is basically an invitation to "mess with you." Depending on what area a person is in, he or she is not the only one armed - and open-carry is a bold statement that basically says, "I'm prepared to kill any of you at any time if I see what I perceive to be a threat - so prepared, in fact, that I do not conceal my firearm/other weapon(s). I'm prepared to turn a bar brawl into a bar massacre."

Save that enthusiasm for the shooting range. These weapons are designed to kill. That is what they are for. I don't remember the saying correctly: If you think like a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail - something to that effect.

Yeah, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I was just sharing the school of thought.

Yes, this is what I don't understand about the open carry folks. They say they don't INTEND to scare people, but they must know that the rest of the world is not populated with mind-readers who can predict exactly why you are walking around with a machine that was expressly designed to cause injury. How do they think I am supposed to tell the difference between a criminal and an upstanding citizen? (Well, I can guess what some of them think the difference looks like :? )

A number of years ago I was mugged at gun point. About a year after that I found myself working night shift behind the register at a convenience store. I was massively paranoid about guns during that time (and still am, a little bit). Like checking out every customer to see where they might be concealing a weapon, feeling uncomfortable if I saw someone carrying even if I wasn't at work. And there is no amount of rhetoric about responsible gun owners or self-defense that could have convinced me NOT to feel scared. I think the open carry folks know full well what message they are sending to other people.

After what happened in Waco on Sunday, who knows what Sturgis is going to be like this year. It's terrible that the police have to be prepared to defend their lives because of people thinking that deadly force is a right. And then goofballs like the Botkins with some strange delusions of grandeur, being a knight in shining armor or something, it's just wrong on so many levels.

cnn.com/2015/05/18/us/texas-biker-gang-brawl-shooting/

I believe the saying is, to a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

The open carry laws remind me of Chekhov's rules for playwrights: if there's a gun onstage in the first act, it must go off. Guns have tremendous power, both as weapons and as psychological tools. Sometimes it's hard to control that energy.

Speaking of open carry laws and practices, does anyone remember this? It's my favorite open carry story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/0 ... 53044.html

[link to HuffPo not broken b/c news source]

We own guns. Really, really a lot of guns. They are a family thing. In fact my son and daughter are out shooting at this exact moment. We also have cattle on a ranch near Yellowstone National Park. My children have seen grizzly and wolves hundreds of times. So not only do we have guns, we have big guns. We have has a few heart stopping moments (a grizzly ran at us two years ago, waking up to wolves fighting outside the trailer, ect). We are also just basically country as hell. So we own guns and we shoot all the time. Our family reunions on both sides always include shooting and marksmanship activities.

Also, I have a gun cabinet in the kitchen.

But if my son was wandering around my house strapped up like this, he would not be using guns at my house. There seems to be an inverse relationship between how badly one wants to carry a gun and whether some one ought to. Showing off is a clear sign that you are not gun safe. All of my uncles, my FIL, and cousins carry guns. My brother is an federal LEO. I have never once seen a weapon on any of them. I may see a bump or a line when they move. But I will never see a gun. They are carrying. But a weapon I can see is a weapon I can take.

To see a kid (and yeah, acting like a kid makes you a kid) strapped up like this just looks like playacting to me. It's weird that their mom is against make believe because it is all these people do. The kid is playing cowboy. It's gross.

The strings of Christmas lights with branches all around the top of the cabinets just look like dust catchers to me.

Not to mention cooking grease. Oh--and cobwebs. And dead fly bodies.

I repainted my kitchen walls and cabinets recently, and decided to clean all the decorative stuff I'd put up top. "Eew" doesn't even begin to cover it; anything that couldn't be soaked in hot, soapy water got thrown out. Including the strings of twinkly fairy lights. All that stuff had been up there through five or six years of normal cooking for one, and it was FOUL. I don't deep-fry indoors, and the vent hood works okay, but it was bad.

I replaced the strings of lights; they're not visible from floor level so I wrapped them loosely in plastic wrap which can be tossed when it gets gross. The Dutch ovens and other cookware I don't use every day is up there now, but it will get used often enough to be cleaned on a regular basis.

So I look at those branches and get the impulse to pull it all out and scrub the tops of those cabinets that is almost Maxwellian in its insanity.

iiiiiiiinteresting.

She isn't nearly as "done up" as she usually is. She looks...a little tired.

I don't know if the new house is as far out in the country, but they used to live on a farm. So, my first thought is that she had been working outside. I thought she looks a little tired, but also happier and more relaxed than she sometimes appears. I personally think their father is more than a little out there, but I actually find the younger generation kind of interesting. I just hope they're able to find their way out of a damaging strain of theology.

love2scrap, are you FB friends with A-S? I'm sure not seeing that pic on her page - she's got it locked down pretty tight.

Re: the wearing of the guns - little Lucas is all about firearms, all the time. Take a look at the T-Rex Arms FB page, chock-full of shoot-em up videos: facebook.com/trexarmskydex?fref=ts

Ditto the company's website, full of oh-so-familiar Botkinesque hyperbole (trex-arms.com):

:roll:

A-S will celebrate her 30th birthday this year. Maybe wearing jeans is her way of throwing her bonnet over the windmill, and letting the world know she's ready to have some real fun!

I just can't with the stupid name of T-Rex Arms (I won't even go into the ridiculous delusional bloviating). All that image does is conjure up the image of a giant T-Rex with those freakishly small arms unable to get at the gun in the holster on his hip because his arms are too small. Because of those tiny flailing arms, the poor T-Rex is shot down by the enemy with no way to defend himself. Poor T-Rex.

Meant to mention before, re: the jeans - when A-S and E first put their "Reclaiming Beauty" course out to the world, it came with a slide show featuring before ("Here's how we looked before we cleaned up our act and became even more Godly") and after shots of them both. I somehow was able to watch it online, and remember there was at least one slide of a barefoot E wearing jeans while lounging in a barn.

To see a kid (and yeah, acting like a kid makes you a kid) strapped up like this just looks like playacting to me. It's weird that their mom is against make believe because it is all these people do. The kid is playing cowboy. It's gross.

SERIOUSLY. Their whole lives are make-believe. Is this the same family that had some sort of coming-of-age ceremony with their sons that involved knighting them with a sword? All the VF'ers seem to do is swagger around talking about their solemn duty as male protectors, how they are shielding their angelic, story-book homes from demonic forces. But of course from a real-life point of view they just look like doofuses. Fred Clark at Slacktivist writes about this a lot-- search his blog for "fantasy role-playing games." I've also seen it first-hand from trad Catholics I know. I think some people go off the deep end with religion after they realize that real life doesn't give you many opportunities to wax poetic about your own bravery in the face of dire threats.

SERIOUSLY. Their whole lives are make-believe. Is this the same family that had some sort of coming-of-age ceremony with their sons that involved knighting them with a sword? All the VF'ers seem to do is swagger around talking about their solemn duty as male protectors, how they are shielding their angelic, story-book homes from demonic forces. But of course from a real-life point of view they just look like doofuses. Fred Clark at Slacktivist writes about this a lot-- search his blog for "fantasy role-playing games." I've also seen it first-hand from trad Catholics I know. I think some people go off the deep end with religion after they realize that real life doesn't give you many opportunities to wax poetic about your own bravery in the face of dire threats.

This causes me to want to explain - why the knife? Especially since I have such strong feelings about brandishing weapons, and about how weapons just ramp up tension in a lot of situations that could be defused in other ways.

My mother has been the victim of violence. A lot of violence. All her life. From multiple sources. While I was growing up, I saw this and was eventually subjected to the same.

In part as an effort to never be the victim, I became...something else. Close readers here already know what, so I see no reason to humiliate myself again.

My father and I hate each other so much that we have had a physical altercation at a point in my life when he and I were on about equal footing. It was no longer him beating me; it was us beating each other. This happened when I was home on leave. He struck my mother, I struck him, and it was "game on" for the next five minutes or so. We left bruises. We broke bones. He threatened to kill me - and has continued to do that every time we've had occasion to contact one another. This has gone on for approximately 20 years.

Our hatred for each other is so vitriolic than when he visited Canada to see my brother, I applied for an ERO against him - and had it granted for the entire three months that he would be in-country. My father appeared in court for the hearing to obstruct the order. His words to the judge, through an interpreter, were simply this: "It's a family matter." Well, shit such as that "does not fly" in a Canadian courtroom - especially since I had voice-mail from him on a recorder in my pocket threatening me.

So I actually have people out there who hate me enough to do serious violence to my person - and none of those people are the ones a person familiar with my story would expect: The people I hurt? No; they don't want me - at least not that way.

Former friends - those are the ones I fear.

So, perhaps as an artifact of my fear, I carry. My mom has asked me to abandon the practice. She believes it invites violence regardless of how careful I am with it. And lately, I have given her belief a lot of thought.

The truth, though, is that I'll likely always walk armed and I'll likely not meet the trouble I fear. Regardless, my position is that open blandishment of a weapon is trouble. And never, NEVER draw it unless you not only intend to use it but to kill with it. So if you're not prepared to have dirty hands, do as my mother suggests.

We own guns. Really, really a lot of guns. They are a family thing. In fact my son and daughter are out shooting at this exact moment. We also have cattle on a ranch near Yellowstone National Park. My children have seen grizzly and wolves hundreds of times. So not only do we have guns, we have big guns. We have has a few heart stopping moments (a grizzly ran at us two years ago, waking up to wolves fighting outside the trailer, ect). We are also just basically country as hell. So we own guns and we shoot all the time. Our family reunions on both sides always include shooting and marksmanship activities.

Also, I have a gun cabinet in the kitchen.

But if my son was wandering around my house strapped up like this, he would not be using guns at my house. There seems to be an inverse relationship between how badly one wants to carry a gun and whether some one ought to. Showing off is a clear sign that you are not gun safe. All of my uncles, my FIL, and cousins carry guns. My brother is an federal LEO. I have never once seen a weapon on any of them. I may see a bump or a line when they move. But I will never see a gun. They are carrying. But a weapon I can see is a weapon I can take.

I am so split about guns. As a gun-hating European, I have a hard time understanding why anyone who is not a police officer would need a gun.

On the other hand, I can absolutely relate to the need of protection against OMGWTF GRIZZLIES! And while I have little understanding of 10 year old city kids learning to shoot guns, I too would want my kids to learn how to shoot if I have to be afraid of them being attacked by wolves when they play outside.

Either way, carrying a gun in your mother's kitchen in broad daylight with at least 6 people present seems extremely rambo and childish to me. It really is nothing but a penis-enhancement ("look how big, hard and dangerous! I conquer shit!").

. I am so split about guns. As a gun-hating European, I have a hard time understanding why anyone who is not a police officer would need a gun.

On the other hand, I can absolutely relate to the need of protection against OMGWTF GRIZZLIES! And while I have little understanding of 10 year old city kids learning to shoot guns, I too would want my kids to learn how to shoot if I have to be afraid of them being attacked by wolves when they play outside.

Either way, carrying a gun in your mother's kitchen in broad daylight with at least 6 people present seems extremely rambo and childish to me. It really is nothing but a penis-enhancement ("look how big, hard and dangerous! I conquer shit!").

When I first saw that, I didn't spot the gun right away, but yeah, it does seem a little weird. If he's trying to show off for the visiting missionary folks, that's unsafe and ridiculous. Then again, I know they live somewhere in rural TN and in some areas of rural TN and VA, it's completely normal to wear a sidearm when you're outside at certain times or in certain areas because of the possibility of unexpected wildlife encounters or running into bootleggers/drug runners/human traffickers. So, I can definitely see times when someone would be hanging out while carrying openly, but you're usually not posing for a family photo on those occasions.

Archived