IGNORED

Anna Sofia Botkinette weareth ebil jeans

love2scrap

When I first saw that, I didn't spot the gun right away, but yeah, it does seem a little weird. If he's trying to show off for the visiting missionary folks, that's unsafe and ridiculous. Then again, I know they live somewhere in rural TN and in some areas of rural TN and VA, it's completely normal to wear a sidearm when you're outside at certain times or in certain areas because of the possibility of unexpected wildlife encounters or running into bootleggers/drug runners/human traffickers. So, I can definitely see times when someone would be hanging out while carrying openly, but you're usually not posing for a family photo on those occasions.

For me, the sticking point is "openly."

I'm not sure how open-carry would deter smugglers or traffickers; they're likely armed - and possibly with automatic weapons. One man with a pistol against five with stronger arms? He's a dead man ten times over. Better that they see no reason to take notice of the man at all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the sticking point is "openly."

I'm not sure how open-carry would deter smugglers or traffickers; they're likely armed - and possibly with automatic weapons. One man with a pistol against five with stronger arms? He's a dead man ten times over. Better that they see no reason to take notice of the man at all.

Depends on where you are. When I've been out in the sticks of VA or TN (maybe true in other states,too, but I haven't experienced it personally), it's much more common to come across bootleggers who may have a rifle or pistol on them or in the truck, or to come across a group of migrants with a rifle guarding an illegal pot farm set up in an isolated chunk of the mountains. And I've also run across more than a few fellow hikers or farmers carrying a pistol or rifle openly. Some may carry concealed, too, but those aren't the ones I've noticed.

However,that being said, everyone I know locks their guns up properly when they get home rather than wearing them to a party in the kitchen.

Can anyone tell me if their sister-in-law Nadia is of middle eastern/Arabic decent or what's the deal with her oriental looks and name (nee Nadia Noor)? I tried to find it but google and the search are not my friends today!

She is half middle eastern (Egyptian). Mom is white. Dad was a doctor; his license was revoked for sexual misconduct against patients from what I recall. I don't think he was at Nadia's wedding, but Mom was featured prominently.

In England at least, hunting has been for the rich for a long time (because the Enclosure Act handed over all the land to the rich landowners, basically, so for ordinary people to hunt meant they were poaching) so I think perhaps that's partly why guns are so unusual here - hunting for food hasn't been a thing here in centuries. You can have a gun license here, it's just restricted to armed police etc (ordinary police officers are not armed) and farmers. Knife crime is a bigger problem, but people generally carry knives out of fear. I think the comment made upthread about the people least qualified to own guns showing off the most is very true, and applies to knives too I should think. Guns are things to treat with care and respect.

It seems that gun acceptance varies wildly across the country. We saw a local news report a few years ago in New Jersey where someone was described as having a "cache of weapons" totally 11 guns, mostly standard rifles, shotguns and handguns from what I could tell.

Among my acquaintances and friends in KS, that would not be an unusual number. (Different guns for different types of hunting and / or target shooting... upgrade guns purchased over the years and old starter versions or family heirlooms retained)

We mentioned the news story and choice of words in Texas and one client said. "Shoot, i have that many in my Pickup" and another said "My wife has more than that of her own."

I have no problem with people owning guns, since I believe most of the people I have known in my life have had them. I find open carry fanatics to be creepy and scary and am not thrilled that my stated now allows concealed carry without a permit--and the main requirement for permits was safety training.

But if my son was wandering around my house strapped up like this, he would not be using guns at my house. There seems to be an inverse relationship between how badly one wants to carry a gun and whether some one ought to. Showing off is a clear sign that you are not gun safe. All of my uncles, my FIL, and cousins carry guns. My brother is an federal LEO. I have never once seen a weapon on any of them. I may see a bump or a line when they move. But I will never see a gun. They are carrying. But a weapon I can see is a weapon I can take.

This one thing these fundies who preach open carry/showing off need tattooed in front of them. Basics of gun safety that never seem to get through to them.

I'm late to the party after trying to catch up on all the Duggar news, but tell me, is that a knife of some sort tucked behind Mr Rambo's belt buckle? And another gun on his left hip? What the f**k is he doing?!?

I'm late to the party after trying to catch up on all the Duggar news, but tell me, is that a knife of some sort tucked behind Mr Rambo's belt buckle? And another gun on his left hip? What the f**k is he doing?!?

Darlin'.....Please scan the thread. :cry:

I think so. He's armed to the teeth to hang out with his parents. Sticking a knife in your waistband seems kind of foolish, doesn't it?

I think so. He's armed to the teeth to hang out with his parents. Sticking a knife in your waistband seems kind of foolish, doesn't it?

Seems kind of overkill. :) But hey, maybe he's a boy scout. Be prepared!

And not for nothing, but it would be a really stupid place to keep a knife. One slip and fall and being tempted by members of either sex would become a distant memory... :P

LOL! Oh God...see? This is one of the ways being visually impaired sucks: I saw the pistol - thought at first it was a knife but then realized no - firearm (for some reason he's openly carrying a handgun in his mom's kitchen because...uh...uhhhhh...ummm...okay; I don't know. ).

I go back to the picture now to look again at Batboy's toolbelt and, my God, that surely has to be something other than a knife-handle sticking up above his crotch.

I initially didn't find this funny, but that pretty much pushes this thing into the stratosphere of "things that shouldn't be funny but really, really are." Even the fish swimming around in the empty hollow where his brain should be probably asked "What the fuck?" when he stuffed what I hope was a properly encased knife into the strap above his other penis.

The pistol might be able to take a beating but...

LOL fuck...it's just so absurd ridiculous completely uncocked from reality. The number of dick jokes just sticking right out there could crash this site. :cracking-up:

Hmmm no i am not friends with AS but we do have mutual friends. However the photo is public on this page

https://www.facebook.com/frontfel/photo ... 6518214392

The botkins were all at some event. more details on that fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/frontfel?pnref=story&__nodl

Not breaking links cause its fb.

In the small Botkin picture on the second link I'm not seeing Isaac's wife. He's holding a niece, I believe, but his wife doesn't seem to be in sight. Speaking of Isaac's wife, has a pregnancy been announced?

The Botkin group shot is old, taken before Isaac got married. It accompanied their 2013 end-of-year message (they don't do Christmas) to their acolytes. Isaac and Heidi married in May 2014. And yes, pregnant photos of her showed up on Lacie Bowman's public FB page a while back. I imagine she's given birth by now, but have seen no public announcement. The Botkins are deep underground.

The Botkin group shot is old, taken before Isaac got married. It accompanied their 2013 end-of-year message (they don't do Christmas) to their acolytes. Isaac and Heidi married in May 2014. And yes, pregnant photos of her showed up on Lacie Bowman's public FB page a while back. I imagine she's given birth by now, but have seen no public announcement. The Botkins are deep underground.

That explains it. Thanks for the info, Marian! The Botkins are weirdly fascinating to me due to their massive egos and self-made fantasy world that they live in.

Marian is such a good librarian! I saw the photos on Lacie Bowman's page but did not spot the baby bump.

It is hilarous how a thread about AS jeans turned into a discussion of the guy's guns!

Hopefully, the jean wearing is a sign of good things to come.

I think that the guy wearing the gun and knives is hamming it up for the photo. Like a family joke. I don't know, I have family pictures where everyone is serious except for one person.

That explains it. Thanks for the info, Marian! The Botkins are weirdly fascinating to me due to their massive egos and self-made fantasy world that they live in.

I find the Botkins interesting as well. Partly because of the self-made world they live in, and partly because they're one of the few "famous fundie" clans that seem like they would be interesting people to know. I think I also get intrigued because most of the folks that I know offline who follow them and are even in some form of contact with them aren't folks most of us would consider fundie. They're more fundie lite and even mainstream evangelical.

Someone trying to help his sister escape?

Ya'll, he probably heard about a mysterious agent of Free Jinger (that would be Mama June Bug) who once crashed a fundie wedding, and fears that the Hive is coming for his sisters next.....

Ya'll, he probably heard about a mysterious agent of Free Jinger (that would be Mama June Bug) who once crashed a fundie wedding, and fears that the Hive is coming for his sisters next.....

I never heard about this. Which wedding did she crash?

I never heard about this. Which wedding did she crash?

One of the Servens -- I think it was Rebecca's wedding to Steven Loomis. Hopefully, Mama JB will be along soon to correct my aging memory.

I think that was it. MJB fit right in, and got to see the Robotkins!

We were all rooting for Rebecca and Steven. I haven't heard anything from them lately; hope they are okay.

One of the Servens -- I think it was Rebecca's wedding to Steven Loomis. Hopefully, Mama JB will be along soon to correct my aging memory.

Yes, it was the wedding of Steven Loomis and Rebecca Serven back in 2009. Epic!

Here is the thread from the old Yuku site for your reading pleasure (Mama Junebug's big reveal is on page 4 of the thread): http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/879/La ... WeNbBzoJgs

Not breaking the link because it's our own.

I checked in on Rebecca and Steven. They have two beautiful children, but she experienced a miscarriage in February which

she posted on their blog. Otherwise, they keep a low profile.

I know fundies think we are mean, but I am truly sorry for their loss.

srloomis.com/

• 1 month later...

I carry the largest legally permissible knife available when I go out and I keep it sharp enough to shave with. And yes, I do know how to use it. But in all my years of being out at night in an allegedly dangerous area, I, a woman with a cane, have never been attacked. And that is why no one who sees me on the street even knows I'm armed - because the only time you brandish a weapon is if you intend to kill with it and I have never found myself in that situation here - 17 years on.

I'm usually really "anal" about locking our doors, but one night - and just one night - I entirely forgot and simply went to bed. This woman walks in, not realizing whose apartment she was in; she was high on something.

How did I handle the slightly unstable coked up teenager in my kitchen? Uh, we talked; I fed her - I told her she was in the wrong damned apartment. I then called the paramedics and she went with them to hospital. She never saw a knife.

I imagine if she had then there's be an unnecessarily dead coked up teenager on my conscience because she likely would have freaked out and there's no reason for me to believe that she wasn't also carrying at least a small knife of her own - and if someone pulls a knife on me...I expect that means she wants to kill me.

My husband is disabled almost to the point of immobility, but he is armed when I'm not home - and even when I am. Like me, however, he keeps his weapon out of sight.

If I carried a knife on my hip into my mother's kitchen, she would kick my ass.

How many times has your home been invaded? I'm serious; when your husband straps a pistol to his side and openly carries it, does he honestly think, 'This is the day street thugs or terrorists target US?'

And how can he claim to be worried about this possibility if he doesn't also insist you carry?

If your husband openly carries, and everywhere, then he is basically inviting trouble - and so are you.

Sorry, I haven't been on lately.

A) Not my husband. My fella. I dislike calling him my boyfriend, since he's an adult man, but I get that it confuses people when I use a non-standard term for him. (I also blame my late great-aunt who always used to ask me when I was gonna find me a nice fella--she would've loved him.)

B) I never said he open carried. He conceal carries the majority of the time (I've maybe seen him open carry once or twice--and only for a specific purpose), and if I remember correctly, the only time he ran across any trouble was when he was conceal carrying, not when he was open carrying. It's not "brandishing" a weapon to carry it in a visible manner, but I do agree that the only time to brandish one is when you intend to use it to shoot whatever it's aimed at.

C) His home has been invaded on multiple occasions--while he was home--and he has been shot at. He lives in one of the top ten most dangerous cities in the US (for murder), and I live within an hour of two more top ten cities.

ETA) He doesn't insist that I carry as he believes that it should be a personal choice (and because he's not a brute--insist...yikes!)--and that you should only carry if you can do so safely and if you feel comfortable with all of the potential consequences of carrying (like being prepared to shoot to kill if necessary to protect yourself or others), but he is teaching me how to shoot and constantly emphasizes safety above all else.

Edited again -- Riffles.

Archived