IGNORED

Tabitha Paine hangs out with the Duggars

halcionne

UGH!! I am so grossed out after reading all that.

?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told that fruit tends to digest faster than other foods -- therefore it's best to eat fruit either by itself, or at the beginning of a meal, as opposed to during or immediately after. The logic given was that you don't want the stuff on top to start fermenting while it's blocked from moving through by other stuff that is just starting to digest. Not that anything horrible will happen, but that it can cause upset stomach.

I never looked into it when I was told that, but it does seem reasonable.

Anyone have any comment on that?

Not those details, precisely, but something similar. I've read many books on Eastern traditions (traditional Chinese and ayurvedic, mainly), and they recommend eating fruit on its own. It had to do with digestion... I believe eating fruit was connected to digesting food too quickly, and not getting sufficient nutrients from the rest of the meal (and maybe getting the runs). Not sure about how true this is, but I have read that idea elsewhere.

My son eats fruit with pretty much every meal. He doesn't get the runs. Maybe he's just lucky like that.

I was told that fruit tends to digest faster than other foods -- therefore it's best to eat fruit either by itself, or at the beginning of a meal, as opposed to during or immediately after. The logic given was that you don't want the stuff on top to start fermenting while it's blocked from moving through by other stuff that is just starting to digest. Not that anything horrible will happen, but that it can cause upset stomach.

I never looked into it when I was told that, but it does seem reasonable.

Anyone have any comment on that?

I'm not a nutritionist, nor do I know much of anything about the real workings of the digestive tract; however, I do know that many cultures (particularly European ones) eat fruit as a dessert. I think it wouldn't be so common if it was really a problem.

Archived