IGNORED

Rocky Mountain Conference - Duggars, Swanson, Others

luv2laugh

Nice... I want to hear all about it! That sounds like a future thread :)

I will be happy to look up anything Free Jinger asks about, and I'm not unwilling to quote vast amounts of the books, but I'm afraid I would make a terrible recapper. The angrier I get, the more incoherent I become. :lol:

On another note, after poking around at the Rocky Mountain Super Conference website, I'm less inclined to consider this a homeschooling convention and more inclined to call it a fundie morale-boosting convention. But maybe that's just me. Can any Free Jinger homeschoolers share their thoughts? Kevin Swanson and RC Sproul are speakers, and an awful woman I'd never heard of called Shelly Noonan.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll check out the SUPER conference. Need something new to talk about. Jill needs to screw up again... I've got nothing lately.

Yes, Izzy went to Big Sandy. As a newborn. Surrounded by more than a few anti-vaxxers, most likely. It was discussed somewhere around here, but I don't feel like looking it up right now.

I agree with your other comments; it's getting harder to keep the group together anymore. Josh travels constantly with the FRC and still manages to appear with the mothership pretty often.

I don't count heads in the pictures, but I have the impression that the male kidults are the ones who are missing more often. You make a good point about JD and his 'work,' whatever it may be on any given day. Josiah spent most of 2014 out of the house, and now Joe's at Clown College. Maybe we should start keeping our eyes peeled for the adventures of Jed & Jer next.

It's actually been like this for awhile now but since they constantly bring up their 19 kids™" and 4 or 5 of the older kids were missing, including Josh. Yet all during the televised segment there were mentions of "breakfast with 19 kids!" I guess if they say it often enough we will all think that Ma and Pa are still living with all 19 kids under their roof.

It's actually been like this for awhile now but since they constantly bring up their 19 kids™" and 4 or 5 of the older kids were missing, including Josh. Yet all during the televised segment there were mentions of "breakfast with 19 kids!" I guess if they say it often enough we will all think that Ma and Pa are still living with all 19 kids under their roof.

When the reality is they never had even 18 kids living in their home at the same time. M. was PG with Jordyn at Josh's wedding.

Hello all, I have been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join your fun party. :)

Living in CO, I know of Kevin Swanson. He is the host of an online radio talkshow called Generations with vision. I found out about him from a friend due to him and Bill Jack handing out a script of paper at a local Denver theater about how good Christian famlies shouldn't go see How to train your dragon 2 due to the character played by Craig Ferguson 'coming out' and instead to go see all the 'family friendly' films at RMSCOTF. I have listened to a lot of his podcasts and he is just as crazy as they come.

I'm almost tempted to convince my best friend to pose as my fiance and dress all fundy to get inside info. I know last year that Issac Botkin was there tearing Frozen a new one Aka "How to objectively watch a movie as a family." Not to mention I'd love to meet the Duggars and ask Jinger if she's still dreaming about NYC or if Jill squashed that completely. :roll:

Welcome, PartriarchydefyinValkarie!

I forgot to mention it here, but I went over the schedule and JB&M will only give one talk each, then the Friday night family performance and that's it. Tickets are $90 per couple, iirc; pretty steep. But new FJ favorite Dr. Jason Lisle has six different seminars to help you meet your Intelligent Design home schooling needs! Totally worth it! :dance:

rockymountainsuperconference.com/organizer/jason-lisle/

Welcome, PartriarchydefyinValkarie!

I forgot to mention it here, but I went over the schedule and JB&M will only give one talk each, then the Friday night family performance and that's it. Tickets are $90 per couple, iirc; pretty steep. But new FJ favorite Dr. Jason Lisle has six different seminars to help you meet your Intelligent Design home schooling needs! Totally worth it! :dance:

rockymountainsuperconference.com/organizer/jason-lisle/

I don't have homeschooling-age children but I would LOVE to attend all six seminars. My little fascinated kitty would be SO fascinated!!!! Also, how fun would it be to see the Duggar family perform? But, alas, I'm in Canada and cannot attend. This Dr. Jason Lisle really gets my goat.

• 2 weeks later...

As of this morning, the Duggars are still on for this convention! :dance:

Duggars suck. Fundie conventions disguised as home school conventions suck. Dr. Jason Lisle sucks.

Get money where you can, while you can!

That is quite surprising. You would think that even if the organizers still welcome the Duggars that JB & M would respectfully bow out. I would think it would turn into quite the media circus. OTOH, attendance will, presumably, be through the roof.

And, I hate Dr. Lisle, too. He is such a dick.

That is quite surprising. You would think that even if the organizers still welcome the Duggars that JB & M would respectfully bow out. I would think it would turn into quite the media circus. OTOH, attendance will, presumably, be through the roof.

For me, it kind of isn't surprising. I looked at the FB page for that conference a few days back and a few people were defending the Duggars quite a bit. There is one particular woman on that FB page that is defending them to the max, she doesn't come off as too bright and she said that her two young daughters who are 3 and 7 can't wait to see the Duggars.

As of this morning, the Duggars are still on for this convention! :dance:

Duggars suck. Fundie conventions disguised as home school conventions suck. Dr. Jason Lisle sucks.

Get money where you can, while you can!

I wonder if they'll get hecklers or reporters yelling questions at them...

I'm almost tempted to convince my best friend to pose as my fiance and dress all fundy to get inside info. I know last year that Issac Botkin was there tearing Frozen a new one Aka "How to objectively watch a movie as a family." Not to mention I'd love to meet the Duggars and ask Jinger if she's still dreaming about NYC or if Jill squashed that completely. :roll:

You don't have to be married! They even give single parents their own special shopping and gleaning times!

I can't decide if that's a pity display or because they don't want the ebil, ebil single folk mingling with the pure-bloods.

This will be one of the first things I look up when I get my Basic and Advanced Seminar textbooks from amazon. Basic shipped this morning!

If you have time, can you post recaps/summaries? I'm super curious. People have posted bits and pieces, but I don't think anyone's ever reviewed the entire texts before!

You don't have to be married! They even give single parents their own special shopping and gleaning times!

I can't decide if that's a pity display or because they don't want the ebil, ebil single folk mingling with the pure-bloods.

Really? What if they are a widow?

I wouldn't be surprised if JB & M still think that: 1) this situation will "blow over" by then, 2) everybody will conveniently forget all about it, and 3) they can resume their celebrity speaking tours like nothing happened or this all was just a blip on the radar.

Long time lurker first time poster. I used to be heavily involved with this conference before it went totally off the fundie crazy deep end and I came to my senses. I would not be surprised if the Duggars are no longer speaking but still 'scheduled" to keep up publicity, ticket sales & profits and then the announcement will come close to the conference date that Duggars are unable to appear. CHEC has spent a lot of $$ promoting this. I received the conference newsletter in the mail with the Duggars on the front & I haven't been involved or received mailings in years.

Long time lurker first time poster. I used to be heavily involved with this conference before it went totally off the fundie crazy deep end and I came to my senses. I would not be surprised if the Duggars are no longer speaking but still 'scheduled" to keep up publicity, ticket sales & profits and then the announcement will come close to the conference date that Duggars are unable to appear. CHEC has spent a lot of $$ promoting this. I received the conference newsletter in the mail with the Duggars on the front & I haven't been involved or received mailings in years.

Seems like a deceptive, bait and switch business practice.

If you have time, can you post recaps/summaries? I'm super curious. People have posted bits and pieces, but I don't think anyone's ever reviewed the entire texts before!

Oh my god. The books came last Saturday and it's so much WTF. They're each the size of small phonebooks. The index is worthless--first thing I did was look up "sexual sin" and no dice 8-) . I may have better luck with the table of contents, but it turns out my Christianese isn't as good as I thought it was, so I'm having trouble there, too. And! Both books remind me of the handouts you get to follow along with those boring, stupid PowerPoint presentations at work, but there's no speaker or, you know, power point, to follow. Just lots of ridiculous charts and graphs and bizarre page formatting.

I really want to share this with FJ, especially now with the Duggars maybe getting Gothardism in the limelight, but holy mackerel it will be a challenge!

I'm sure that Jim Bob can 'deliver' a suitable bride to JD if he can't go to the conference. Although I guess none of the options presented to him have made the cut yet I guess. I wonder if Jana is even provided with candidates.

So, this makes me wonder. Now that all this is out about Josh, what are the prospects for the other boys? Publicly forgiving is one thing, but giving your precious virginal daughter to the brother of an admitted and notorious former child molester is another. And what about the girls? Are men going to want to marry them?

(I did a search for this, but didn't find anything, so apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere)

So, this makes me wonder. Now that all this is out about Josh, what are the prospects for the other boys? Publicly forgiving is one thing, but giving your precious virginal daughter to the brother of an admitted and notorious former child molester is another. And what about the girls? Are men going to want to marry them?

(I did a search for this, but didn't find anything, so apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere)

If it does affect the Duggar kids' prospects, it will affect the girls more than the boys, because that's how it is in life.

Oh my god. The books came last Saturday and it's so much WTF. They're each the size of small phonebooks. The index is worthless--first thing I did was look up "sexual sin" and no dice 8-) . I may have better luck with the table of contents, but it turns out my Christianese isn't as good as I thought it was, so I'm having trouble there, too. And! Both books remind me of the handouts you get to follow along with those boring, stupid PowerPoint presentations at work, but there's no speaker or, you know, power point, to follow. Just lots of ridiculous charts and graphs and bizarre page formatting.

I really want to share this with FJ, especially now with the Duggars maybe getting Gothardism in the limelight, but holy mackerel it will be a challenge!

Really? You'd think with all those interns, they'd manage to fix the books up a bit and produce something coherent. But then again, SOTDRT...

Ok, so you are clearly a very bright lady. So, please explain, before you divulge the contents, how do these families manage to get through this? And didn't you say this is the BASIC part of the Basic and Advanced Seminar? :think:

Really? What if they are a widow?

Widows get to go at the same time as single folk and other VIP! (that's what it says - VIPs). Curiously, there is no mention of "widowers" I assume this is a nod to the fact that men are incapable of taking care of children without a wife, so...

Ok, so you are clearly a very bright lady. So, please explain, before you divulge the contents, how do these families manage to get through this? And didn't you say this is the BASIC part of the Basic and Advanced Seminar? :think:

One book is Basic and the other is Advanced. I haven't looked at them very closely yet; I was really discouraged by the shitty index. As far as how these families get through it, I happened to read an article recently (I will link it in the thread I eventually start) that there are 32 hours of Gothard on video that are meant to be viewed with the text. That's probably basic only, but I don't remember right now.

In on topic news, there's this (thank you GeoBQn, taken from viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25053&p=956012#p956012):

The Rocky Mountain Super Conference posted this in their event page:

So make sure to mention that you live in Durango or something if you email them. :lol:

Archived