IGNORED

Meanwhile in Brownbackistan

salex

As you may know, Gov. Brownback recently signed a bill banning the most common form of second trimester abortion in our state. This on top of bill after bill in recent years requiring lies to be told to women seeking abortions, installing hoops to jump through for clinics that are far more difficult to meet than other outpatient clinics, working to get personhood for 2 cells in place, etc.

He touts this as some of his greatest accomplishments, right up there with cutting taxes on small businesses and LLCs (See also list of KOCH owned LLCs for why this is important in KS, home of the Koch brothers) and putting the state in the hole so much that more than one school is closing early for lack of funds to finish the year.

brownback.jpg

Yesterday, he took his show on the road and "re-enacted" the signing of this bill at a variety of religious venues around the state

On Tuesday, the governor traveled to four different cities across Kansas to reenact the signing of SB 95 in public ceremonies that teenagers could attend. The events took place at a Catholic church education building and three Catholic high schools.
thinkprogress.org/health/2015/04/28/3652255/brownback-re-signing-abortion-ban/

I can only guess he was thinking the religion he converted to was not getting enough love when he'd been spending his time on non Catholic religious travel last year....he was on tour with FRC's "Not on Our Watch" anti gay marriage "ministry"

Family Research Council &

Governor Sam Brownback

Saturday- Oct. 18th- 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.

Summit Church 10225 E. Kellogg (behind CarMax)

Wichita, Kansas

Not on our Watch !

Kansan’s for Traditional Marriage RALLY!

FRC BUS TOUR WHISTLE STOP

Other National Leaders : Connie Mackey, FRCAction PAC,

Joe Grabowski, National Organization for Marriage, Glenn Wright

Eagle Forum, and our own David Gittrich!

Then there was his "Awakening Freedom Tour" around the state

A Kansas-based ministry is hosting a series of events across the state focused on equipping Christian to get involved in a cultural battle.

Entitled the Awakening Freedom Tour, the first gathering will be held on Saturday, February 8, at Lenexa Baptist Church.

Donna Lippoldt, founder and director of Culture Shield Network – which is hosting the event – says the focus is to address the moral decline in the U.S. and confront the effort to remove God from the public dialogue.

Lippoldt, Donna“We need revival, we need a Great Awakening, but it is time to cause a revolution,†she says. “We need to get some freedom fighters up and going to take this country back.â€

The inaugural event will feature speakers such as Neil Mammen, Governor Sam Brownback and Donna Lippoldt.

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/b ... 5lJHf.dpuf

He continues to have meetings with people like Chuck Pierce and Cindy Jacobs and there seems to be, as with Perry when he was gov, some IHOP influence here and there.

His state of the state speech is half sermon, he hosted a big revival and had to move a revival / workshop out of the statehouse once people saw what it was.

He has had people blow shofars in the statehouse while he signed proclamations.

And he won re-election. :angry-banghead:

Sam Brownback is almost enough to make me glad SC only has to cope with Nikki Haley. She's (knock wood) not quite that batshit crazy.

I got to the part where he's literally reenacting the signing, and I got thoughts of right-wing nutbags reenacting the Civil War not as part of a learning experience for anyone, but because, by god, the Confederates were the good guys and deserves to be celebrated! I bet he's dreaming that people will reenact this signing a century from now.

I was Googling to try and get more information about the schools that are having to close early and came across this article:

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/sev ... r/32591296

The Skyline School District isn't just closing early. The superintendent says because of the new block grant system he can't afford to pay employees.

The district is asking the state for more than $100 thousand dollars in emergency aid to help make payroll in June.

:(

I'm just planning to homeschool all of my kids at some point, because it's not getting any better. The problem is that too many people place their vote on anti-choice and anti-equality, and they forget that demolishing our education system comes along with it.

I'm a native Kansan. I love my home state. It makes me sad to see what is happening here.

ETA: My younger daughter just did her hunter safety course last month. The governor's son was in the same class, which was unexpected since we're not in Topeka and they are not from our small community. We were not aware of the connection until the governor himself turned up for the little certification "ceremony" at the end. Had anyone known he would be there, I think a few might have turned up to discuss this stuff with him.

*off-topic a bit*

Until a year ago, Kansas was a state I didn't spend time thinking about. Then my daughter came home from high school so excited because she had talked to a charming, enthusiastic recruiter from University of Kansas. My daughter was convinced she wanted to be a Jayhawk.

I did my mom duty and gave her the whole speech about not letting her heart rule her head. It's important to put logical thought into the decision as well as listening to your gut feelings. I hate raining on someone's parade, especially my daughter's, but it is necessary sometimes.

I told her that Kansas has the reputation for being an extremely conservative state, and she is left of center in her political views. How would she be happy there?

Daughter did her research and told me that Kansas is the Blue Dot!!!! It is a little place of progressive ideas in a sea of red conservatisim.

She ended up choosing a different school, but KU was a top contender for quite a while. They are very generous with scholarships, and every single alumni waxes poetic with love for the school. There is obviously something special about it.

My question is, how do the progressive people of Lawrence, KS tolerate the extremely conservative politics of their state? It's getting close to a theocracy there.

*off-topic a bit*

snip

My question is, how do the progressive people of Lawrence, KS tolerate the extremely conservative politics of their state? It's getting close to a theocracy there.

By being a little island centered around the University, though the state does try to put a damper on it from time to time. It helps that they are close to KC, which despite being KS and MO is still a city, and cities are rarely 100% conservative.

We will see how much damage Brownback can do to the Board of Regents over time. kansas.com/news/politics-government/article1155161.html

But yes, KU is a good school (And I say that as someone who has a family heavily weighted with generations of KSU alum.)

*off-topic a bit*

Until a year ago, Kansas was a state I didn't spend time thinking about. Then my daughter came home from high school so excited because she had talked to a charming, enthusiastic recruiter from University of Kansas. My daughter was convinced she wanted to be a Jayhawk.

I did my mom duty and gave her the whole speech about not letting her heart rule her head. It's important to put logical thought into the decision as well as listening to your gut feelings. I hate raining on someone's parade, especially my daughter's, but it is necessary sometimes.

I told her that Kansas has the reputation for being an extremely conservative state, and she is left of center in her political views. How would she be happy there?

Daughter did her research and told me that Kansas is the Blue Dot!!!! It is a little place of progressive ideas in a sea of red conservatisim.

She ended up choosing a different school, but KU was a top contender for quite a while. They are very generous with scholarships, and every single alumni waxes poetic with love for the school. There is obviously something special about it.

Former resident of Douglas County (where Lawrence is) here. It is quite literally Lawrence that is that blue. The rest of the county is red.

KU alumn as well (living in Mizzou country - which is not easy but I like it here) - and KU is a special place.

Before I moved you could find people standing along Mass (Massachusetts) St in front of the county courthouse protesting the war. College kids and aging boomers. Smokers huddle outside bar doors or go to patio seating now because of a no-smoking law that encompasses bars. They have tried to swing two US House districts red by splitting the city. It is this little Oasis of Liberal in a vast sea of red.

I spent every summer growing up in Kansas. My grandfather still lives in Wichita. For the longest time I wanted to move to Kansas (from where I am in Canada). As I watch what Brownback is doing to that state, all I can think is that I'm so glad that I never did.

My kids are KS natives. I lived in Topeka for about 10 years. Not a bad place, but I did choose Catholic school over public schools because of the quality.

KU is a very good school. Lawrence is a nice little town to hang out in, go shopping, and enjoy life a bit. Liberal oasis.

I wouldn't mind if my kids went to KU or KState. Their Dad's family was pretty involved in KState and the city of Manhattan. So, KState is pretty likely.

I'll give you your Gov. Brownback and raise you one Gov. Abbott.

He has actually deployed the state guard to keep an eye on federal troops staging a military exercise in

Texas-Oklahoma because, you know, Obama is about to declare muslim law or something.

I wish I was making this stuff up.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics ... a-takeover

Ted Cruz is jealous that Governor Abbott is getting all of the attention on this issue:

The 2016 presidential candidate told Bloomberg during the South Carolina Republican Party's annual convention that his office had been "assured that it is a military training exercise." But, he added, he also gets where the conspiracy theorists are coming from.

"You know I understand the concern that's been raised by a lot of citizens about Jade Helm," Cruz told Bloomberg. "It's a question I'm getting a lot. And I think part of the reason is, we have seen for six years a federal government disrespecting the liberty of the citizens and that produces fear. When you see a federal government that is attacking our free speech rights, our religious liberty rights, our Second Amendment rights. That produces distrust as to government."

Cruz's comments came after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott ® ordered the state guard to monitor the military's activities after the conspiracy theorists raised concerns.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/t ... 5-pentagon

:roll:

Archived