IGNORED

Gothard "clarifies" his theological teachings

formergothardite

This is an old RG article but I can't find that it has been discussed here. RG and another website called on the IBLP BoD to evaluate the Institute's teachings that have caused so much harm. Of course they refused to respond but Bill responded for them because nothing says "I'm totally not in control of this ministry anymore" like answering for the BoD.

Bill writes a letter trying to weasel out of taking responsibility for the things he taught and RG responds by using his own words against him. :lol: It does not seem like Bill has responded to their response. And the board, obviously has never given any sort of response even though they have been made very much aware that RG wants their reply and not just Bill's.

.recoveringgrace.org/2014/12/waiting-on-theological-clarification-from-iblp/

On circumcision:

Bill: Circumcision is not a moral requirement for Christians.

RG: This issue was point 9 in the 2002 arbitration meeting. The Basic Care Bulletin 11- How to Make a Wise Decision on Circumcision states:

"Because this is one subject which is so strongly commended and reinforced in Scripture, there is no question what the decision of Christian parents should be on this matter. It is important to note that circumcision was established before the Law was given. Circumcision goes back to the obedience of Abraham. Thus, those who would seek to dismiss circumcision with the Law would have no Scriptural basis to do so.

According to this circumcision is non-optional for a Christian parent and those who might think about choosing against it "have no Scriptural basis to do so.." The booklet goes on to outline "The Basic Elements of a Scriptural Circumcision Ceremony," which are: "1. Provide a Certificate 2. Schedule the Circumcision 3. Determine the Wisest Procedure 4. Invite Special Witnesses 5. Plan the Ceremony" It moves on to the "Suggested Procedure for a Scriptural Ceremony" which includes "1. Recognize the Guests 2. Tell How Circumcision Began 3. Recognize the Eighth Day 4. Emphasize Moral Purity 5. Explain Heart Circumcision 6. Pray for the Child 7. Sign the Certificate."

On if Christians should stick to the OT dietary commands:

Bill: The answer is "no." The Levitical dietary commands apply to the law of Moses which was given to the Jewish nation

RG: Your clear response of "No" to any requirements or demands of the Law of Moses is most refreshing. However, as it applies to the Law's restrictions in eating pork products, your answer in this this paper is contradictory to a well-known forty year history of your tight restrictions against eating any pork products and your teaching and preventing other believers from eating pork products

Bill, would you be willing and so bold as to offer some assistance to the Duggar family (which are close friends of yours) so they can also experience your (new) freedom to eat pork and allow others to do so?

On Bill's advice about married sex:

Bill: About forty years ago I pointed out some medical benefits of these laws. Since then, I have concluded that it is not my place to tell married couples how to run their marriages.

RG: This was point 8 of the issues discussed in the 2002 mediation meeting and the one which most shocked Eric Landry of Modern Reformation Magazine. If IBLP has since abandoned this teaching since 2002 and if this reflects public repentance and retraction of the original teachings and is a following through of point 10 of the agreed upon 11 points of arbitration that is welcome.

__ Is this a cosmetic alteration to your previous teachings? or

__ Are you repenting and recanting your previous teachings?

Bill really seems to have thought that he could get away with pretending he didn't actually teach all these things. Sadly for him he left a 40 year trail that proves he did. I bet he was furious when he read that response. :lol:

Shut up Gothard, we don't care about the little things, but what do you think about creepy old cult leaders molesting teenage girls? Is that scriptural?

I'm putting this here because it might be related, and I can't figure out how to start a new thread. I have been reading the book "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. It's the same book the movie "Wild" is based on. At one point in the story, the main character, Cheryl, runs into a grandmother-aged woman and a young boy on the trail. They tell her that the boy has "problems," and that he is staying with the woman while his mother figures out her life and attends a seminar on Life Principles. I really found myself wondering if she was getting into IBLP. If not, is there something else out there called simply "Life Principles"?

Good lord, Gothard can't see the forest for his own confused trees. Didn't he ever learn not to put anything in writing that could hang you later!?

I'd love to see a Duggar response to this.

Good lord, Gothard can't see the forest for his own confused trees. Didn't he ever learn not to put anything in writing that could hang you later!?

I'd love to see a Duggar response to this.

I would love to see someone pin Gil and Kelly Bates on the subject to see how they try and squirm out of it. I bet the second that the BoD got the questions they ran to Bill to ask him what to do. He may officially be gone, but Bill is never going to let IBLP go and I doubt the board wants him gone. I think they really believe he is the good guy and all the accusations are from "bitter" ex students.

Archived