IGNORED

New interview with Rusty Yates

princessmahina

There's no need to answer this question on the board, obviously, but who here would react to the deaths of every one of their children in the space of a few hours by remarrying and having more kids with someone else as soon as possible?

I would kill myself. I couldn't live without my kids.

I wonder about the woman who consented to marrying him so fast. Did he target another mentally ill woman? Not asking that to make fun of the mentally ill, but because he ignored Andrea's illness and used her like a brood mare.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read a book about Andrea Yates a few years ago. In it, the author noted that when doctors are able to get Andrea's medication fine-tuned enough to alleviate her psychosis, she is aware of where she is and what she did to her children and feels immense guilt. So, just when she gets "better" enough to find some relief from her profound and debilitating mental illness, she realizes again that she murdered her own children. That has haunted me - the fact that she has to "learn" what happened for the first time over and over again.

If Doug Phillips is a tool, there are no words for Rusty Yates.

I hate to say it, but it might be kinder for Andrea to leave her untreated since treating her is causing her emotional and mental torture. Just let her zone out and be in what peace she can be in.

The timing in the sentence of Andrea Yates was too harsh (IMO). She was the only person held responsible for this tragity. How Rusty escaped prosecution is mind blowing. Tonight on Oprah he denied knowing that Andrea was delusional which is a bold faced lie. Why had he asked for family to always be home with Andrea and the children when he was away? They both were told that having more children would result in Andrea having severe PPD. The Killing of her children was not the first psychotic episode evident to the immediate family. Could there be a greater punishment for Andrea than the knowledge of her actions? She has been incarcerated in mental health facility for enough time. She has responded well to anti psychotic medication and mental health therapy. She deserves to have the chance to slowly integrate back into society (IMO). Many people have psychotic episodes and with medication/psychiatric therapy live productive lives. Andrea is past the age for of giving birth. This too should be considered in her chance to re enter society. Mental health is still taboo in today's society. Yet,many of us have had experience with a loved one having mental health issues. With monitored medication and psychiatric care. There is promise and hope for those with mental illness to have a meaningful life. If she was my neighbor it would be okay and maybe even a friend.

I would kill myself. I couldn't live without my kids.

I wonder about the woman who consented to marrying him so fast. Did he target another mentally ill woman? Not asking that to make fun of the mentally ill, but because he ignored Andrea's illness and used her like a brood mare.

I agree. I'm even wondering if as serious as Andrea's illness was, if she was capable of consenting to sex, and if she wasn't, that makes Rusty a rapist as well as an accessory to the murder of his children. I think Rusty should have been charged with something at least, since he coerced Andrea to go off her meds so she could get pregnant again and again after doctors said more pregnancies were too dangerous. To me, he's evil and got away with contributing to the murder of his children. :angry-cussingblack: :angry-fire: :angry-cussing:

The timing in the sentence of Andrea Yates was too harsh (IMO). She was the only person held responsible for this tragity. How Rusty escaped prosecution is mind blowing. Tonight on Oprah he denied knowing that Andrea was delusional which is a bold faced lie. Why had he asked for family to always be home with Andrea and the children when he was away? They both were told that having more children would result in Andrea having severe PPD. The Killing of her children was not the first psychotic episode evident to the immediate family. Could there be a greater punishment for Andrea than the knowledge of her actions? She has been incarcerated in mental health facility for enough time. She has responded well to anti psychotic medication and mental health therapy. She deserves to have the chance to slowly integrate back into society (IMO). Many people have psychotic episodes and with medication/psychiatric therapy live productive lives. Andrea is past the age for of giving birth. This too should be considered in her chance to re enter society. Mental health is still taboo in today's society. Yet,many of us have had experience with a loved one having mental health issues. With monitored medication and psychiatric care. There is promise and hope for those with mental illness to have a meaningful life. If she was my neighbor it would be okay and maybe even a friend.

The thing is there's a chance she might stop taking her meds. Maybe she can be released to a family member to make sure she's staying on track if she were to be released.

Deanna Laney who did something similar (killed 2 of her kids and impaired the other one to the extent that he will basically live as a vegetable for the rest of his life) was found NG by reason of insanity. She went to a mental institution but now she's living free. And like Rusty, her husband divorced her as soon as possible and remarried. I don't know if he had kids or not. Dee was Assembly of God. As I recall, the trial judge (as a condition of release) tried to monitor her church activities to prevent a relapse; as in, no more crazy fundie churches. (The court did not want to release her in the first place).

Deanna Laney who did something similar (killed 2 of her kids and impaired the other one to the extent that he will basically live as a vegetable for the rest of his life) was found NG by reason of insanity. She went to a mental institution but now she's living free. And like Rusty, her husband divorced her as soon as possible and remarried. I don't know if he had kids or not. Dee was Assembly of God. As I recall, the trial judge (as a condition of release) tried to monitor her church activities to prevent a relapse; as in, no more crazy fundie churches. (The court did not want to release her in the first place).

Oh gosh I remember her. She stoned her kids in the yard of her home, bashed their heads with a rock. Very sad, I never knew as much about her as I did about Andrea Yates, I think Yates got more publicity but I was also in the Houston area with Yates and Laney was somewhere else in Texas.

She was in East Texas, over in Chapel Hill. Very few people know where she lives now, but she does have a lot of supervision.

The court requires frequent blood/urine tests to make sure she stays on her medication. I can tell you that I've heard everyone

who worked on the case, from the police officers to the lawyers to the jurors, got counseling after the trial. The photos were that

bad. I know I should feel sorry for her. She was insane. But she was never pathetic as Andrea Yates. Her husband claimed he saw

no warning signs. But at that church, supposedly all they talked about was the devil, possession, demons, etc. The woman went nowhere

except church. She homeschooled those poor kids. Everyone said how immaculate their house was. (with 3 young boys??? first sign that something was wrong).

But shouldn't someone, somewhere have noticed that ALL she talked about was demons, devils, shadows, signs, etc ? I guess they thought her fixation made her a Godly woman, but all it made her was insane.

• 2 years later...

Did I read that Rusty Yates second wife filed for divorce?  There was something about it on wiki but I didn't see anything else that said the same thing. 

I don't think Andrea Yates will ever be released.  She has been institutionalized in a Texas state psychiatric hospital since 2006.  She requested in 2012 to begin attending church services and that request was denied by a judge.  Her doctors requested in 2014 that she be allowed to begin attending supervised outside group activities, but because of her notoriety, that request was ultimately withdrawn.  She is up for evaluation every October.  Who knows if she'll ever be allowed outside. 

Archived