IGNORED

New interview with Rusty Yates

princessmahina

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I was wondering what had became of him recently. Last I heard he had remarried and had a son with his second wife.

This was one messed up situation, all kinds of WTF. I still don't know how on earth he could rationalize all that was going with his wife, because she sounded like she was downright non functional and just off the charts nuts. He was getting advice from medical professionals to not keep on having kids, even if she wanted them. I guess maybe he feels he can't blame her because he's recognized his own role in this? That's the only rational reason to me but so much of this is completely irrational, even on his end. Even after her arrest, he had hopes that she would get out, they could go back to living as husband and wife, and keep on having kids. :shock:

This is the guy I thought should have KEEP AWAY tattooed to his forehead and private parts. Because IMHO I think he had some responsibility for what happened.

I try really hard not to hate Rusty Yates. I think it is a gross miscarriage of justice that Andrea is locked up in a mental hospital yet Rusty is more to blame than she is, and he pays no penalty.

I never met Andrea, but we were loosely in the same homeschool area. Their house was about 45 min from mine. I understand that heavy religious burden very well.

Andrea could not help herself, people who are suffering like her just cannot... well.. maybe if they are not married to and living with a man like Rusty Yates. I will never truly believe or accept that in the pursuit of pleasing God it becomes necessary to step on other people, to disregard them. But then again, I've never gone so far down the road of believing God heals or whatever that I disavow modern medicine.

I thought about Andrea Yates a lot after my youngest child was born, my one daughter after sons. Andrea had more sons than me. One of my friends did get me in to the local GP, he dx'd me with clinical depression and wanted me to take zoloft but I wouldn't because I was nursing an infant.

Several times my thoughts would drift to sitting in the garage with the car running and all of us just go to sleep, but not because that would save their souls or mine. I knew and experienced the pressure from Ezzo/Pearl thinking that children are to be trained and perfectly behaved. In one church I was attending while waiting for my husband to come back, the pastor openly named people from the pulpit whose kids were still and quiet during church. This was the Pearl-advocating church, the same church that taught the women that their husbands were the voice of God and to be obeyed without question.

Rusty Yates might be all smooth on Oprah with his teflon statements and avoidance of truthful answers, but his commission from God in regards to Andrea was to love her as he loved himself, to care for her as he cares for himself and I feel pretty safe to say Rusty failed.

I sure hope he is not calling her up once a month to talk about their children. How is she supposed to forgive herself with her ex-husband, remarried, calling her up and constantly bringing it up?

This is the guy I thought should have KEEP AWAY tattooed to his forehead and private parts. Because IMHO I think he had some responsibility for what happened.

What gets me is all the signs were there that she was so seriously, seriously ill. And then some. I get that he probably didn't want to think that his kids were at risk at the hands of his wife, because she was his wife and their mother how could she hurt them, but she was just so non functional. The day she killed the kids, she took advantage of time alone between his leaving for work and one of the grandmothers arriving to help her out. She was that far gone, she needed assistance on a regular basis taking care of her own kids. I got the feeling that he was caretaking both her and the kids at the end, yet was ok with the idea of having more kids. How??

I know that he's endured a horrific tragedy, losing all of five of them at once and his wife of all people is responsible for killing them. But the rationalization of her illness, the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" attitude in the face of her debilitating illness is just astounding. That, right there, should have given any woman pause about getting with this guy, much less having more kids with him.

I've always felt that, as the well, sane person in the marriage, Rusty is culpable. Doctors outright told him that she should not get pregnant again, but he just had to keep having babies for Jesus.

Yeeech - he's as guilty as she is; and he doesn't even have insanity as an excuse. She kills their kids so he...quickly remarries and has more. What, are women and children interchangeable? Fucking freak.

I just came over to post about this reprehensible man and his holier than thou interview.

BrownieMama, I am glad you and your kids are out of that church. That must have been so much pressure. Those poor kids.

This quote:

“It was a horrific act but I’ve never blamed her for it,” Rusty told Oprah. “Because I think of it as akin to...suppose I’m driving down the street in our Suburban with our five children and I have a heart attack and slide over into oncoming traffic and get in this horrible car accident and I’m the only survivor. Should I be prosecuted for that? Should I be blamed for that?”

reminds me of what Sparkling Lauren said of her husband after he murdered their son.

And in both cases I think the parent that didn't do the actual killing is at least as responsible as the one who did.

This quote:

reminds me of what Sparkling Lauren said of her husband after he murdered their son.

And in both cases I think the parent that didn't do the actual killing is at least as responsible as the one who did.

I had the exact same thought about Sparkling Lauren. The difference is that you KNEW there were problems, Rusty—you helped create them. Too bad he didn't marry Lorena Bobbit…

I had the exact same thought about Sparkling Lauren. The difference is that you KNEW there were problems, Rusty—you helped create them. Too bad he didn't marry Lorena Bobbit…

How he could liken an automobile accident that occurs suddenly and on the spot to a situation that was long in the making, which this was.

Rusty Yates is a dreadful person and, yes, he is AT LEAST AS GUILTY as Andrea. Too bad he didn't at least have to get a court-ordered vasectomy or something so that no more kids would have to suffer for his asshole "religious" views.

It's a bit dated, but this legal article struck me as a good if thoroughly depressing review of the case (http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/vie ... text=djglp):

Part I of this Article briefly discusses Andrea’s life up to her marriage to Rusty as well as the outcome of her trial. Part II provides an overview of the insanity defense and the strict Texas insanity standard. Part III examines Dietz’s background, his reputation, and his psychiatric philosophy, in addition to his proclivity to testify for the prosecution. Part IV describes Andrea’s history of mental illness, especially her postpartum psychosis that started with the birth of her first child and ended with a severe psychotic episode. Part V focuses on Dietz’s testimony in the Yates trial, beginning with his pre-trial interview with Andrea and ending with an analysis of his conclusions. The discussion emphasizes the speculative nature of many of Dietz’s statements and their lack of connection

to Andrea’s history of mental illness. Part VI presents the other perspectives and experts in the Yates case, and considers how the case might have reached a different result with a more consistent defense strategy or a less rigid insanity standard.

This quote:

A better analogy would be this. You're driving down the street in your Suburban. Now, the doctor has told you several times that driving your Suburban is dangerous because you're extremely ill. In the past, you've driven your Suburban before and gotten so sick that you had to be hospitalized several times. In fact, you're so sick that you don't even fully comprehend why you shouldn't be driving your Suburban. And you definitely shouldn't be driving with your kids in your Suburban, that would be dangerous, and the doctor has told both you and your partner that, as well. But your partner gives you the keys anyway and tells you to go take a nice, long drive with the kids, because your religion says you need to drive. You do, and you have a heart attack and you're the only survivor. Should you partner bear some responsibility for what happened?

I try really hard not to hate Rusty Yates. I think it is a gross miscarriage of justice that Andrea is locked up in a mental hospital yet Rusty is more to blame than she is, and he pays no penalty.

I never met Andrea, but we were loosely in the same homeschool area. Their house was about 45 min from mine. I understand that heavy religious burden very well.

Andrea could not help herself, people who are suffering like her just cannot... well.. maybe if they are not married to and living with a man like Rusty Yates. I will never truly believe or accept that in the pursuit of pleasing God it becomes necessary to step on other people, to disregard them. But then again, I've never gone so far down the road of believing God heals or whatever that I disavow modern medicine.

I thought about Andrea Yates a lot after my youngest child was born, my one daughter after sons. Andrea had more sons than me. One of my friends did get me in to the local GP, he dx'd me with clinical depression and wanted me to take zoloft but I wouldn't because I was nursing an infant.

Several times my thoughts would drift to sitting in the garage with the car running and all of us just go to sleep, but not because that would save their souls or mine. I knew and experienced the pressure from Ezzo/Pearl thinking that children are to be trained and perfectly behaved. In one church I was attending while waiting for my husband to come back, the pastor openly named people from the pulpit whose kids were still and quiet during church. This was the Pearl-advocating church, the same church that taught the women that their husbands were the voice of God and to be obeyed without question.

Did they speak on the matter in any of those churches? What was their stance on the (sadly avoidable) tragedy?

Does he say in the full interview what his current religious beliefs are? I'm on my phone at work and can't watch the whole thing. But it sounds from those quotes like he at least understands that their church was an unhealthy environment that compounded the problem. I wonder if he's just saying that to absolve himself of some of the blame for her situation, or if he has truly reconsidered some of his beliefs.

This case is one reason I respect my late father so much. My mom is a paranoid schizophrenic and he stayed with her for 46 years after she was diagnosed, to the end of his life. He told me once he could have walked away, but he couldn't do it. My dad's example is probably the biggest reason I have little respect for Rusty. I confess-I wonder about his new family.

Did they speak on the matter in any of those churches? What was their stance on the (sadly avoidable) tragedy?

The silence was deafening.

This quote:

Except in the "had a heart attack" scenario, the other spouse likely wouldn't immediately divorce and then start reproducing with anther person. That bespeaks a lack of even the most basic grief. And it's odd. It's almost as if RY himself has no conscience; that people aren't real to him, but rather are items to be replaced when necessary.

Yes, everyone grieves differently.

But he did not grieve in any way I've ever seen anyone do: He remarried and reproduced. He did not even play the grieving father for a decent length of time, and nor did he approach either divorce or remarriage with concern, feigned or otherwise.

He had the means to take proper care of his family and to get his wife proper medical care. He had ample warning she was seriously mentally ill.

She killed their five children and he claims not to blame her (and he certainly doesn't blame himself), but he does file for divorce.

...and then he remarries in an indecent amount of time.

If Andrea Yates herself had been found dead and RY reacted this way to her loss, he'd be a suspect in her death.

There's no need to answer this question on the board, obviously, but who here would react to the deaths of every one of their children in the space of a few hours by remarrying and having more kids with someone else as soon as possible?

Does the world need his genetic material that much? Was he that desperate not only for companionship but for another child - one born with five dead siblings?

He is so selfish it tips into straight up narcissism - incredible, pathological narcissism. (Obviously I, being no expect, and an internet armchair observer, can't say for sure what his problem is - but he does have a deep problem, and it's so clearly a bad one.)

I'd like to address the part of this saga where Rusty remarried in an indecent amount of time.

I have a friend that goes to the church that agreed to both host and pay for the funerals of the five Yates children. Rusty attended the funeral with a woman.

He and this woman then proceeded to hang all over each other throughout the service. My friend was horrified when she saw his behavior. It was a very short amount of time after the deaths and Andrea's arrest before Rusty went public with the new woman. I've never seen Rusty Yates's second wife, but if this was her, then that means he was fooling around behind his wife's back, quite possibly long before the children were killed.

What a revolting excuse for a human being. I guess nothing is ever his fault; Andrea didn't mean for it to happen, the children being drowned, his infidelity, everything is fine so long as Rusty gets what he wants and isn't held accountable.

I'd like to address the part of this saga where Rusty remarried in an indecent amount of time.

I have a friend that goes to the church that agreed to both host and pay for the funerals of the five Yates children. Rusty attended the funeral with a woman.

He and this woman then proceeded to hang all over each other throughout the service. My friend was horrified when she saw his behavior. It was a very short amount of time after the deaths and Andrea's arrest before Rusty went public with the new woman. I've never seen Rusty Yates's second wife, but if this was her, then that means he was fooling around behind his wife's back, quite possibly long before the children were killed.

What a revolting excuse for a human being. I guess nothing is ever his fault; Andrea didn't mean for it to happen, the children being drowned, his infidelity, everything is fine so long as Rusty gets what he wants and isn't held accountable.

Wow. :pink-shock:

Wouldn't have thought you could say worse things about Rusty Yates but obviously it's quite possible to do so.

This also makes one wonder about the dynamics of his relationship with Andrea and whether there were other factors behind his failure to get her appropriate treatment or to even just keep his pants zipped.

I remember this case. I'm roughly the same age as Noah would be...I was about eight years old when the trial was televised. I remember asking my mom why a mom would hurt her kids like that, and I remember my mom saying something about how Andrea was possessed by Satan/was a flat-out baby killer.

I just read up on the case, and it's just so sad. It's strange to revisit something that was so black and white as a child, but is so much more nuanced as an adult.

There is a special place in Hell awaiting Rusty Yates. I hope that Hell exists because of wastes of life like him.

Andrea was so sick, and the kids were caught in the middle. Do you think she is cognizant of what she did? I can't imagine living with that the rest of my life. And Rusty's living child...they're going to find out about their older siblings some day. I hope Rusty is prepared for that.

Andrea was so sick, and the kids were caught in the middle. Do you think she is cognizant of what she did? I can't imagine living with that the rest of my life.

I read a book about Andrea Yates a few years ago. In it, the author noted that when doctors are able to get Andrea's medication fine-tuned enough to alleviate her psychosis, she is aware of where she is and what she did to her children and feels immense guilt. So, just when she gets "better" enough to find some relief from her profound and debilitating mental illness, she realizes again that she murdered her own children. That has haunted me - the fact that she has to "learn" what happened for the first time over and over again.

If Doug Phillips is a tool, there are no words for Rusty Yates.

The most irritating part of the interview, to me, was when Oprah asked Rusty if he was ever angry. His reply, paraphrased, was, "I never was angry with her. I was angry with her doctor, but never with her." WTF? Angry with her doctor??? The doctors told you to not leave her alone, dipshit.

Screw Rusty Yates. He's also to blame for the death of his kids. He should be in prison. Not fair that he gets to move on with his life and Andrea can't. What she did was horrible but the signs were there. He played Russian roulette and his children are dead.

Screw Rusty Yates. He's also to blame for the death of his kids. He should be in prison. Not fair that he gets to move on with his life and Andrea can't. What she did was horrible but the signs were there. He played Russian roulette and his children are dead.

That is the best way I have heard the situation summarized yet. I think Rusty Yates probably goes beyond a narcissist into a full blown psychopath which includes narcissism but is more extreme. Nothing is ever his fault, people are interchangeable pawns to be swapped out as carelessly as most of us toss our weekly garbage and with as little regret. He isn't angry at Andrea because he likely never cared enough about her or his children to merit anger. That is why it was so simple for him to remarry quickly and have another child. It is like his family was a fashion accessory. If you hopelessly stain your silk tie, throw it out and get another one.

I found the following paragraph the most chilling in the article:

"Rusty says that he hasn't concerned himself too much with exactly what Andrea was thinking while performing the drownings. “For me, it’s sufficient to know she was in a delusional state,†he told Oprah. Andrea reportedly told psychiatrists that she thought Satan was inside of her and that by killing her children, she was also saving them."

His children would have lived and Andrea wouldn't be in jail if he had "concerned himself" with what his wife was feeling and doing long before the tragic day of the drownings. He is good with just knowing she was crazy and it wasn't his fault. It might have been the fault of the church a bit, but it was definitely not HIS fault. That was all that mattered. :angry-banghead:

Archived