IGNORED

James McDonald Takes a Sabbatical

DomWackTroll

“Priorities are important. Over the past, I have allowed my 'vocation' as a minister to take priority over my family. The results were not always good. Yesterday, I announced to our church that I will be taking a number of months off from preaching to focus on my dear wife and children. If you come visit Providence Church during this time, I'll still be there, but you will find me sitting in a pew beside my bride.â€

facebook.com/james.mcdonald1/posts/10206222941230962?pnref=story

I have no idea if this “means anything.â€

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“Priorities are important. Over the past, I have allowed my 'vocation' as a minister to take priority over my family. The results were not always good. Yesterday, I announced to our church that I will be taking a number of months off from preaching to focus on my dear wife and children. If you come visit Providence Church during this time, I'll still be there, but you will find me sitting in a pew beside my bride.â€

facebook.com/james.mcdonald1/posts/10206222941230962?pnref=story

I have no idea if this “means anything.â€

Weren't they vague booking about persecution or some such nonsense recently? I wonder if there's a link there.....

Is this the same James McDonaldofHarvest Bible Chapel?

Where is/was Harvest Bible Chapel? These McDonalds moved to Peoria a few years ago from Texas.

Weren't they vague booking about persecution or some such nonsense recently? I wonder if there's a link there.....

Yup. January 30:

“I am so thankful to have been blessed with a bride who loves me despite my failings, who supports me even when the way ahead looks cloudy, who stands beside me in the face of challenge and opposition, who above all prays for me knowing that God is our strength and our shield. I love you,Stacy!â€

facebook.com/james.mcdonald1/posts/10205575105675478?pnref=story

February 8:

“Transparency: feeling sad. But thankful for God's peace.â€

facebook.com/james.mcdonald1/posts/10205633154726668?pnref=story

There's more... When I read them, I thought, "Are they laying the groundwork for some drama that will come later?"

And if James is taking a sabbatical, why not wait for the sabbatical and then jet off to Europe? Just seems strange that a pastor would come home from a vacation and announce, "Guess what? I'm taking some time off." Bitch, you just had some time off.

Ah, DWT, those were the days, my friend.

And I have to say that Jamesy and BrideOfJamesy are giving the Phillips a run for the money in showing off their wealth. Foodie chilluns who get creme brûlée for birthdays, European vacays and videos of Jamesy talkin' 'bout poverty 'cause he used to be one!!! Ee-hah! Sigh. The arrogance burns.

Comments from the sabbatical post on James' FB page:

Stacy McDonald: As your wife, I appreciate your humility and your confession. I love you.

James McDonald: Thank you for being patient with me, through the years of trial, my dear Stacy.

And, from Stacy's FB page in March:

If only there indeed was an oil for everything.

and

Sorry, y'all. Was feeling a little overwhelmed last night over some heavy things. Prayers are appreciated. The Lord is my strength.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Maybe James is going to devote himself to a season of selling essential oils full time.

I hate all this "bride" stuff.

It's not the same James McDonald. A James MacDonald started HBC or its predecessor in Chicago in 1988.

Following link unbroken, St. Louis-area news medium.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/ ... touch=true

Thanks, Harvest is a giant warehouse church That now has offshoot locations. Lots of homeschoolers too. They have lots of really pushy kids evangelizing on local college campuses.

Do you think someone had an affair? Now essential oils are involved too!? Where have I seen this before?

If something is going on, it doesn't strike me as a sexual thing.

1. Stacy just isn't acting like a betrayed wife. Yes, Beall was calm and cool and put on a beatific smile for the cameras, but... Stacy ain't Beall. I think Stacy would be having an absolute shit fit, and wouldn't even be trying to hide her anger. But instead, we are seeing a "you and me against the world" attitude.

2. James doesn't seem to have the opportunities Doug had. He doesn't have an office/warehouse like Doug, doesn't travel without his wife the way Doug did, and-- as far as we know-- the McDonalds don't have young, unrelated women in their household as "help."

I'm guessing it's something financial or perhaps even something really boring, like a theological struggle between James and his church's elders.

1. Stacy just isn't acting like a betrayed wife. Yes, Beall was calm and cool and put on a beatific smile for the cameras, but... Stacy ain't Beall. I think Stacy would be having an absolute shit fit, and wouldn't even be trying to hide her anger. But instead, we are seeing a "you and me against the world" attitude.

2. James doesn't seem to have the opportunities Doug had. He doesn't have an office/warehouse like Doug, doesn't travel without his wife the way Doug did, and-- as far as we know-- the McDonalds don't have young, unrelated women in their household as "help."

I'm guessing it's something financial or perhaps even something really boring, like a theological struggle between James and his church's elders.

Precisely! Thank you for point #2, especially. There's something about James that just screams "poor, persecuted, put-upon pastor."

And if James is taking a sabbatical, why not wait for the sabbatical and then jet off to Europe? Just seems strange that a pastor would come home from a vacation and announce, "Guess what? I'm taking some time off." Bitch, you just had some time off.

Well, is isn't easy to actually spend time with your spouse on vacation. You know, when you are actually around them it can be trying. So why are they taking time to spend time around each other? Stay tuned. :popcorn2:

But, it may actually be that they are being led by god to begin a season selling essential oils. From Stacy's fb:

Would you like to learn how you can start a home business focused on all-natural products that promote health, wellness, and a life with LESS stress? Join us next Tuesday evening and I will personally walk you through how it works!

Do you want to be a Diamond? Come and learn tips and ideas James and Stacy learned at the 2015 Diamond retreat.

She and husband just went to a convention on how to sell other people on selling Young Living essential oils. The Israelites having to be led out of Egypt should have been a major warning that pyramid schemes are not good.

Do you want to be a Diamond? Come learn tips and ideas James and Stacy gleaned at the 2015 Diamond Retreat!

Let's learn! Product training time!

Ideas for keeping focused!

Learn how to present an effective 101 - anywhere!

Hear real life testimonials!

'Tis the Season to hawk some oils

Fa la la la la la la la la! :music-singing:

It wouldn't be the first time that James & Stacy McDonald were in a financial pickle.

They reportedly hightailed it out of Texas to Illinois in part because of unpaid debts over the printing/publishing of Homeschooling Today, which they owned at the time: undermuchgrace.blogspot.com/2008/11/well-james-mcdonald-got-caught.html

Well then is sounds like they are a perfect fit to shill for Young Living Essential Oils.

not disagreeing with you as you know them better, but wanted to point out that the women don't have to be beautiful twenty somethings. Look at Camilla Parker Bowles, some of the women Tiger Woods slept with, Monica Lewinsky is not by many people considerd a traditional beauty. Just saying.

Ah, DWT, those were the days, my friend.

And I have to say that Jamesy and BrideOfJamesy are giving the Phillips a run for the money in showing off their wealth. Foodie chilluns who get creme brûlée for birthdays, European vacays and videos of Jamesy talkin' 'bout poverty 'cause he used to be one!!! Ee-hah! Sigh. The arrogance burns.

I have mutual friends with these yahoos. (What is with all the crazy in central IL???)

The town where James pastors is very weird and Stepford-y. It is where a lot of Caterpillar Inc. execs live, thus the town, tends to be a bit of a higher brow bunch. I doubt his flock minds the appearance of mild affluence they seem to be putting off. Although they might mind not having a pastor. :doh: Plus, Le Peep and Hearth (where I think some of the pics are from) really aren't terribly upscale. Not budget, but not the Ritz.

Off to read up on them...

I agree. The tone seems wrong for that. It's something else...a schism at church, a failed business venture with some church funds (and I don't necessarily mean an illegal one; just a poor one), something that would cause one hell of an argument between the two but that wouldn't actually fracture their relationship.

I genuinely hope, with the kids they have, that JM hasn't lost his income.

I wonder if his elders are radicalizing and that his first marriage is now becoming a barrier to his pastorate in that church. But the tone doesn't seem quite right for that, either.

I know it's their own business, but if they're going to post stuff such as this, they can at least throw their fangirls at FJ a bone.

I wonder if his elders are radicalizing and that his first marriage is now becoming a barrier to his pastorate in that church. But the tone doesn't seem quite right for that, either.

I know it's their own business, but if they're going to post stuff such as this, they can at least throw their fangirls at FJ a bone.

Re: bolded. Well, IS he a pastor? Is there any evidence that he was ever ordained -- anywhere? Maybe that's the problem right there.

On the church webpage about leadership (providencecpc.org/about/our-leaders/), there's this:

James is on a lifelong quest to complete his Master of Divinity and is currently enrolled at The North American Reformed Seminary.

Perhaps the congregation told him to enter the season of getting his M.Div.

Re: bolded. Well, IS he a pastor? Is there any evidence that he was ever ordained -- anywhere? Maybe that's the problem right there.

On the church webpage about leadership (providencecpc.org/about/our-leaders/), there's this:

Perhaps the congregation told him to enter the season of getting his M.Div.

You could be right, but JM has been in that position for awhile now. If he's working on an M. Div even part time, he's still learning and I see that as a good trait, as opposed to a failing, in someone who performs the functions of a pastor.

So I don't necessarily think someone operating as the primary church leader necessarily needs to be ordained. Ordination often confirms acceptance as a leader within a specific church hierarchy, and JM might not quite fit any that exist.

On the other side of that, there is Steven Anderson who has had, as far as I know, NO theological training (either formal or informal) and whose only claim to leadership is having memorized large chunks of the Bible. I would argue that, because his flock accepts him as such, Anderson is indeed a pastor - he's just a very bad one: Stupid, mean, ignorant, and overtly cruel. (This should go without saying, but people who show those traits are best avoided entirely - because some of them, at least, are damned near rabid - and by this I mean they are genuinely, physically dangerous - in their stupidity and Mr. "Stone the Gays" falls squarely into that category).

And while I think JM can be a total tool, I've actually spoken by e-mail a few times to both JM and his SM in the past, and they don't have the same aura of total arrogance and frank meanness that SA and ZA have.

In sum, then, I do think education is an important part of training for the pastorate, but I would see an uneducated pastor who is actively learning from expositors and even attending divinity classes as fit for leadership just so long as he meets the Biblical criteria for the job.

The following are quotes from a document I've been developing:

Those people who lie in wait for blood are mentioned throughout the Bible, which tells us how they behave:

• They wait until night falls, and then murder the weak -- Job 24:14

• They ambush the unaware -- Proverbs 1:11

• They lie in wait -- Proverbs 10:8

• They wait in shade to fire projectiles at the upright -- Psalm 11:2

• They await the upright, to kill them -- Psalm 37:32

• They ambush the innocent without conscience -- Psalm 64:4

• They specifically target and murder the weak -- Psalm 94:6

• They prey upon other people and ensnare them -- Jeremiah 5:26

These are just a few of the passages that describe how those without mercy will deal with those around them. They wait. They plot. They ambush. They choose the weakest. They trap. They hide in shadow; in darkness, they plan murder and underhanded acts of cruelty.

it is in how knowledge is used - as a balm or as a weapon - that shows if an informed individual is wise or wicked. [bolding not in the original.]

...whereas...

In a healthy church, the pastor can and will demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning. He will recognize that he, and everyone around him, is capable of error - that the most fruitful way to handle error is to act as the holy men and women of old:

"He will not cry out or raise His voice, Nor make His voice heard in the street. A bruised reed He will not break And a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish; He will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not be disheartened or crushed Until He has established justice in the earth..." -- Isaiah 42:2-4 (See also Matthew 12:20 and Psalm 72:4)

I go on to discuss leadership structures in the NT, including the common and shared model. But there were always Elders (and some Eldresses such as "The Elect Lady" who were considered fit to provide spiritual guidence).

The oldest forms of church leadership, counselled primarily by Paul and Peter, place the Messiah as dynamic head of the universal church (Colossians 1:15-18) with smaller members – individual communities; parts of the body – being governed by a plurality of elders. These elders usually shared pastoral duties.

The plurality of elders existed not only to guide the assembly, but also to hold each other accountable.

Where the particulars of church leadership are concerned, Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus are the most instructive.

The special requirements found in 1 TIMOTHY 3, good for all Believers but imperative in leaders, are as follows:

A pastor or elder must...

...be blameless [i later go on to discuss how this term is a reference to transparency and not perfection.]

...be the husband of one wife

...be temperate

...be sober-minded

...be well-behaved

...be hospitable – kind, welcoming, accessible

...be able to teach

...not be a hard drinker

...not be violent

...refrain from greed and covetousness

...be gentle

...be able to govern his own house

...have significant experience as a Christian and student of theology

...behave in a manner that demonstrates his genuine fitness for leadership, such that even non-believers and other people in the wider community will respect his character.

TITUS 1:5-9 lists many of the same qualities – a fact that demonstrates their importance. A pastor or elder must exhibit the following traits:

• His conduct is habitually good – above reproach

• He is the husband to one wife

• His children are well-behaved

• He is flexible in the face of dissent, rather than prideful

• He must have mastery over how he expresses anger

• He should not be addicted to alcohol or other such substances

• He should dislike the prospect of violence

• He is not greedy or willing to benefit by dishonesty

• He is hospitable

• He demonstrates a love for what is good

• He is sensible

• He is just and fair in his dealings and in his rulings

• He is devout

• He is a knowledgeable teacher

I don't know that any pastor fits all of these exactly, but the more of these points they hit, the better they are likely to be at their jobs.

(You'll notice I use the term "he" throughout; that's not accidental - and I address the creation and equality of women in the pastorate later in the document.)

In looking at the Timothy and Titus passages, I think it's a knock-out punch that JM, for his faults, is a better leader - a more qualified pastor - than SA.

I would also argue that both are, in actuality, pastors - but that SA, at least, is operating in a capacity for which he is clearly unfit.

The term 'sabbatical' implies to me in general that something productive will be undertaken during the time away; in academia it is a time to write a book or to undertake focused research that will lead to a publication of some kind. Otherwise it's just a leave of absence.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the 'sabbatical' is being taken to complete his degree. For my work life before retirement, I helped grad students in three different university departments. Occasionally, a student did seem to have true writers block when it came to the thesis or dissertation. Some started and couldn't seem to finish; others were simply paralyzed by the task of beginning a major original writing project after 18 or 20 years of structured classes.

Maybe he's got to write the thesis to get his degree and he just needs to get it done (deadline looming), especially if he has already put a ton of money into tuition, and especially if someone else (church, maybe?) was footing the tuition bill.

I know, I know, it isn't salacious or related to financial malfeasance, but there you have it!

I'm sure Young Living Essential Oils will help both James and Stacy through any rough patches they might be facing.

Out of curiosity, I googled: Young Living Essential Oils + multi level marketing + pyramid scheme

cracked.com has a great article on the entire concept: The World's Fastest Growing Industry (is a Pyramid Scheme)

Definitely worth a read to understand the difference (or lack of one) between a ponzi scheme and multi level marketing = pyramid scheme.

But don't take my word for it. Young Living Essential Oils spells it out for you on their Web site:

Is Multi Level Marketing a Legitimate Home Business Opportunity?

Yes it is. It is not a pyramid scheme, an illegal practice or a multi level marketing scam. Pyramid schemes do not sell a product or service and primarily focus on recruiting others for money.

Young Living is not a pyramid scheme and it is a top multi level marketing opportunity.

See, it is multi-level marketing, but they let you know right up front that their multi-level marketing is a GOOD thing! This is trickle down economics at its finest. See, to me, it just does not make sense if you are trying to sell something to create competitors who are selling the same product.

I have also understood sabbatical to mean, a period of rest or taking a break. It appears to me, by his own words, he's taking time to 'rest' and focus on his bride...or whatever he said. :P In some church circles, there has been a push to force pastors to take a sabbatical every 5 years, for at least 3 months, I think, for a time of rest.

Yesterday James was doing just the kind of thing that led to his split from Doug Phillips.

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206255946256067&set=a.1633502075924.92290.1187837890&type=1&theater

He sure loves rubbing shoulders with "establishment" politicians. Not crazy enough for Doug.

Heard from a reliable source that James' sabbatical stems from denominational and church discipline issues. Apparently, the Providence session has been brought up on denominational charges... James and the other two elders were power struggling. And a former Providence family brought charges against the session for harsh discipline. Several families have left the past year and it's all big mess. Needless to say, infighting amongst the Providence session could be the death of the church. I find it kinda hilarious that James helped found the very denomination that is now disciplining him.

Archived