IGNORED

"A Courtship" Documentary

Kira

How strange, she's a fundie convert, who moved in with a couple so they could find her a husband

Because Kelly’s biological parents disapprove of Courtship, Kelly has endowed the very religious Ron and his wife with the responsibility of vetting her romantic prospects

I hope I get to see this

• Upvote 2

This sounded interesting so I googled and found a couple more articles

http://www.mlive.com/jenison/index.ssf/ ... p_sto.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... tship.html

There is a disturbing clip on the Daily Beast. Kelly is crying because she did not save her first kiss for marriage. It is sick how they brainwash these poor women to feel like they are less than for doing something like kissing.

The Daily Beast also talks about the family's Civil War fetish. It is not surprising then, when you got to the parents' website, beforethekiss.com/, that is it filled with stuff praising VF and DPIAT. I guess they didn't get the memo he's a rapist. They also promote rape enabler Doug Wilson and still unmarried in her 30s Sarah Mally,

Reminds me of Jews who become Lubavitcher Hasids. They frequently have arranged marriages too. But not the Civil War obsession.

• Upvote 1

There's clearly something OFF with this chick. She's been living with this spiritual family for TEN YEARS, had only one semi courtship that didn't go anywhere.

I remember a video went around about her a while back. She was complaining in it about her father not wanting to play that part of the father the way the courtship books mandate. I felt for the guy. Like "What the hell, I raised you to be an adult so you can make your own decisions and now you want me to go pick your boyfriends for you?" It isn't the one on the Daily Beast. It was more of an interview. I can't find it now.

• Upvote 2

I'm glad I didn't save my first kiss until marriage. It helped me realize that I'm not into guys at all, and I really want to be with women.

Oh wait, that outcome would be disastrous for that sort of family.

I would like to see this. I hope it's released to Amazon or Netflix for streaming. Has Kelly been added to the unmarried fundies list?

Her name is spelled wrong in all the articles. If anyone wants to Google its boggus not boggas.

facebook.com/kboggus?pn_ref=friends_search

• Upvote 1

A friend of mine is an evangelical youth pastor. He had a woman in her mid 20s come to him once and ask if he and his wife would become her parents for the sake of courtship because her parents disagreed with it and lived far away. She had just had a conversion experience about dating and courtship and was determined to start over with the whole courtship nonsense. She didn't want to move in with them, but she wanted them to screen men for her and give all the permissions and do all the chaperoning.

He told her no. He told her she was an independent adult and she needed to independently date and get to know people because that would make a better marriage in the long term.

She was disgusted with both him and his wife. And she found a willing couple elsewhere. No idea if she ever managed to get herself married via courtship.

I grew up in the Bible Belt in a fairly typical Methodist church but we had a youth pastor who was all over the "save your first kiss" movement for a while. It really bothered my parents who later left for a more liberal church (LGBT, democrat friendly congregation which is incredibly rare in Mississippi). The youth pastor was also eventually fired because no one in our original church was into courtship - save yourself for marriage, yes, arranged dating, no. However, it screwed me over when I started dating. I felt so guilty for every little thing that I did with a guy. I still blame that misdirected youth minister for pushing courtship onto sixth graders. The f*ed up thing was that, like the subject of this documentary, she didn't grow up in a courtship environment. She "slept around" (her words), did drugs, and then found Jesus. She felt it was her calling to prevent all of us from heading down the same path. I think if you've tried one "extreme" lifestyle, it's easy to get converted to the opposite extreme. Maybe this is too rambling, but this documentary reminded me of that experience. Ugh.

Maybe it will all end in a polyamorous relationship [emoji5]ï¸

YES. The plot line is eerily similar to how Margene (sp?) ended up with Bill in "Big Love." Younger babysitter, family not really there for her, falls in love with man who claims to be a "spiritual leader."

YES. The plot line is eerily similar to how Margene (sp?) ended up with Bill in "Big Love." Younger babysitter, family not really there for her, falls in love with man who claims to be a "spiritual leader."

Hahaha I watch too much TV. But seriously the parts about them saying they could see her never getting married *wink wink* ...it is like they want to keep her for themselves. They seem to enjoy messing with her (that first kiss fairy tale grossss)...terrible. I wonder if she cooks and cleans and they are enjoying their power over her.

But with enough forced co-dependency I could see it becoming a Margene situation

A friend of mine is an evangelical youth pastor. He had a woman in her mid 20s come to him once and ask if he and his wife would become her parents for the sake of courtship because her parents disagreed with it and lived far away. She had just had a conversion experience about dating and courtship and was determined to start over with the whole courtship nonsense. She didn't want to move in with them, but she wanted them to screen men for her and give all the permissions and do all the chaperoning.

He told her no. He told her she was an independent adult and she needed to independently date and get to know people because that would make a better marriage in the long term.

She was disgusted with both him and his wife. And she found a willing couple elsewhere. No idea if she ever managed to get herself married via courtship.

Good for your friend!

What a shame. I didn't realize this was even remotely an option.

• 6 months later...

You'd think after this whole Josh Duggar scandal, more people would be scared off from courting. Or at least, I would hope so. Clearly, I'm too optimistic about our fundie friends 

But still, I hope I can see this. It sounds right up my alley. 

Edited by IreneIssh

• 1 year later...

So I just saw this on Amazon and came to see if it had been discussed here. After watching this I was so sad for Kelly, but she basically ignored her mom and step-dad who were clearly trying to help her. I have no idea what she and her adopted family think about the documentary, they say it's been a positive experience on their website, but I felt it made courtship look awful. After reading on this site for so long this was a fascinating inside look at a courtship. Hope others get a chance to watch and comment :) 

• 4 years later...

I just read on Ron's Facebook page that Kelly moved out of their home earlier this year after 17 years with them!! She's still not married, but the family sold their home to travel for the Lord and she chose not to go with them.

Also this podcast covers the documentary. Episode 286. a0d450caf3dd0e6673a809e73c18afb6.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1

17 years?!? There has to be something else going on there, surely. That's an awfully long time to be living with a family who are facing to find you a courtship.

• I Agree 1