IGNORED

Bruce Jenner is now Caitlyn Jenner

drivingmishcrazy

Did anyone catch the 20/20 interview about Bruce's transition? I didn't and I'm trying to find it, but in the meantime, anyone feel like discussing this information that Jenner has very graciously shared with the world?

I will reserve my reactions for when I have actually seen the interview, but what I will say now is that I hope that positivity will come from this and just that as a cis female, I am feeling my privilege and want to reiterate that I can not and never will understand this journey but would love to be educated more on this.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched, and I really enjoyed it, actually. I found him charming when he was younger and I still find him endearing now. He basically started at the beginning of his life and walked us through the fact that he's felt that he has a female soul since he was a child. He used to dress up in his sister and mother's clothes, not really understanding why but knowing only that it "felt good". He divulged that he was actually on hormones in the 80's, and started to transition, but didn't follow through.

I didn't watch but did see some quotes from the interview. It sounds as if Jenner has had these feelings most of their life and they have really worked hard to come to a place of acceptance. I love that the first two wives have come out so supportive of Jenner and the journey they have been on.

I wish Jenner and their whole family a lot of luck and strength. This must have been rather scary to talk about and I hope it brings Jenner some peace to know they can live authentically now. I hope that all people going through this are able to draw hope sand courage from Jenner, Chaz Bono, Laverne Cox (who is GORGEOUS!) , and all Trans people in the spotlight.

*Please note that I'm using "they" in place of gender specific pronouns. I have a sibling going through the start of a transition now (female to male) and he has requested we use gender neutral pronouns in public until the name change is finalized. I figured it was polite to do the same for Jenner until they say differently, but I could be wrong. Please correct me if I'm making a mistake.

I didn't watch but did see some quotes from the interview. It sounds as if Jenner has had these feelings most of their life and they have really worked hard to come to a place of acceptance. I love that the first two wives have come out so supportive of Jenner and the journey they have been on.

I wish Jenner and their whole family a lot of luck and strength. This must have been rather scary to talk about and I hope it brings Jenner some peace to know they can live authentically now. I hope that all people going through this are able to draw hope sand courage from Jenner, Chaz Bono, Laverne Cox (who is GORGEOUS!) , and all Trans people in the spotlight.

*Please note that I'm using "they" in place of gender specific pronouns. I have a sibling going through the start of a transition now (female to male) and he has requested we use gender neutral pronouns in public until the name change is finalized. I figured it was polite to do the same for Jenner until they say differently, but I could be wrong. Please correct me if I'm making a mistake.

Interesting about your sibling. When a female is converted to a male, is the individual fitted with a penis, balls, the whole bit? If so, from where does the tissue for the crafted genitalia come?

Interesting about your sibling. When a female is converted to a male, is the individual fitted with a penis, balls, the whole bit? If so, from where does the tissue for the crafted genitalia come?

VelociRapture doesn't have to answer this question unless she wants to, and maybe she doesn't mind, I don't know. But it's pretty insensitive of you to ask such a question when you could do a little googling and figure it out yourself. I will bow out of this conversation now, since I'm not trans and no one has asked for my opinion or advice. :)

I watched the interview. Really liked it, cried. The only thing I didn't like was when Bruce is telling Diane how he explained to his children what was going on -- that when god was making little Bruce, god has to give him something in life to deal with, and god chuckled and decided to give Bruce the soul of a female and see how he deals with that. I'm not religious, so maybe I'm missing something, but I kind of hope Bruce doesn't actually believe that god likes to see us suffer in such a manner.

The full episode is on ABC's website: http://abc.go.com/shows/2020/listing/20 ... -interview for those who want to watch it.

I'm not sure about the specifics so I don't feel comfortable answering. My brother is in the very early stages of this transition - I don't know whether he intends to have gender reassignment surgery or not.

Here are some links that may help (if you or anyone is interested):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312187/#!po=0.403226

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery_%28female-to-male%29

VelociRapture doesn't have to answer this question unless she wants to, and maybe she doesn't mind, I don't know. But it's pretty insensitive of you to ask such a question when you could do a little googling and figure it out yourself. I will bow out of this conversation now, since I'm not trans and no one has asked for my opinion or advice. :)

Thanks! I don't really mind questions. It's honestly weird talking about your sibling's genitalia, but I think it's good to talk about this subject in general if people are genuinely curious (which I think Hilda is). My brother has done so much in his life for us to be proud of, but I've never been prouder of him then when he found the courage to tell us who he really is. :)

Thanks! I don't really mind questions. It's honestly weird talking about your sibling's genitalia, but I think it's good to talk about this subject in general if people are genuinely curious (which I think Hilda is). My brother has done so much in his life for us to be proud of, but I've never been prouder of him then when he found the courage to tell us who he really is. :)

I recognized Hilda's avatar and did some digging in the archives. They are a giant, offensive troll who's back after a long absence.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=19312&start=760&hilit=swastika&p=640647&view=show#p640647

I feel less weird about potentially having talked over VelociRapture now.

There are plenty of trans blogs and documentaries you can find about that. BBC has one or two, I believe, that follow a trans person on their journey.

I watched the interview. Really liked it, cried. The only thing I didn't like was when Bruce is telling Diane how he explained to his children what was going on -- that when god was making little Bruce, god has to give him something in life to deal with, and god chuckled and decided to give Bruce the soul of a female and see how he deals with that. I'm not religious, so maybe I'm missing something, but I kind of hope Bruce doesn't actually believe that god likes to see us suffer in such a manner.

The full episode is on ABC's website: http://abc.go.com/shows/2020/listing/20 ... -interview for those who want to watch it.

Bruce is not an overly religious person. That kinda comment coming from him sounds like he does not actually believe in a "wrathful" god--he has a good sense of humor.

---

Tangentially, I find it a bit . . . sad that people feel the need to declare that something is congenital in order for it to be OK. Whether you are born with gender or you pick it up during impressionable childhood years shouldn't matter, but for ignorant people it does. Why would you ever feel the need to limit someone else's freedom of self-expression? [emoji35]

I have yet to watch the interview. Did Bruce give a reason for doing the interview now? I'm concerned his hand was forced by the paparazzi outing over the last few years.

I wish Bruce Jenner well.

I've been surprised to see how many people (that I know) have mocked him. It has changed my views of those people.

I recognized Hilda's avatar and did some digging in the archives. They are a giant, offensive troll who's back after a long absence.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=19312&start=760&hilit=swastika&p=640647&view=show#p640647

I feel less weird about potentially having talked over VelociRapture now.

Continuing my due diligence I went down the Hilda rabbit hole. :music-tool: 'Nuff said. There are a lot of assholes out there, yes?

I can't imagine the courage Bruce Jenner has to do this in the glare of the public eye. It seems he is getting a great deal of support from just about everywhere. I'm certain he will help many others who may be dealing with this. Good for him. (He has stated he is still using masculine pronoun at this time.)

A transwoman on our local news (cp24 Toronto) was mostly positive about the interview except for the plug for Jenner's upcoming reality series (i.e. I will reveal my new name/dress as a woman, on my new show).

Continuing my due diligence I went down the Hilda rabbit hole. :music-tool: 'Nuff said. There are a lot of assholes out there, yes?

I can't imagine the courage Bruce Jenner has to do this in the glare of the public eye. It seems he is getting a great deal of support from just about everywhere. I'm certain he will help many others who may be dealing with this. Good for him. (He has stated he is still using masculine pronoun at this time.)

I'm not sure who this Hilda is, nor do I wish to go down the rabbit hole, however, I will throw out my 2 cents to you Hilda. The transgender journey doesn't boil down to an issue surrounding genitalia. Actually, that has the least of anything to do with it. I would suggest you follow the advice of others and do some research and while doing that consider also that if you had to boil your own 'essence' down to a particular something - what would that be? I'm pretty sure it would reside in your spirit and not your physical being.

Side note: I am not transgender but I do have friends that have traveled that and other challenging roads to self realization. I have the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to reach their own fullest potential.

I was in tears watching the Jenner interview. I was humbled by his bravery and determination. I was excited for the stereotype his announcement shattered. I am hopeful for change in my lifetime on this issue. Hats off, Bruce and everyone else on the road to yourself - safe journey to you all.

I think Bruce is an amazing person with beautiful strength and can only wish the best in this situation.

Watched it, cried the first few minutes, felt bad for Bruce. He shouldn't have to hide who he really was. And I'm glad he spoke out. It definitely made me more aware and educated me about the transgender community. I never understood how a young child could know they were born in the wrong body and there's a difference between gender and sex. Most of the comments were positive there were a few negative Nellies. Didn't even know Bruce has 6 kids. I thought he had 4.

As for the Kardashians. Say what you want about Kris, but that lady really is a pimp. She's smart. But does shit for pr. Funny she had no comment. I suspect she's going to milk this as well. Bruce's interview got 16 mill views more than any Kardashian episode.

The 20/20 interview was really well done, but I fear that we are going to see a real cheapening and exploitation of transgender issues when the reality TV program comes out. Bruce Jenner has been and will continue to be a willing arm of the Kardashian money making machine. His show will be on the E! Network, the Kardashian mothership. I don't have very high expectations that they will not take the road of maximum exploitation.

I'm old enough to remember Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon. He will always have a place in my memories, and I am so happy he can finally be the person he was born to be. But his life is too intertwined with those horrible K women and their business empire for me to hold out hope his reality show could be used to break stereotypes.

Finally got to watch it. Wow, emotional. I'm impressed that he did this, I'm happy he feels he can finally match inside and outside, so relieved that he has such a wonderful support system, was particularly impressed with Brandon's take on his dad's transition...it appears that Bruce has some very thoughtful, intelligent, caring children. I honestly am interested to see him as her and see this person that's always been there be fully realized.

Found the thing about Kanye interesting, I think I forget that persona =/= person but it surprised me that he was someone who brought the whole thing into perspective for Kim, who say what you want about her, is still Jenner's stepdaughter and who's obviously very beloved by him. Also found it interesting that his older kids and his sons seemed to not take it quite as hard as the stepdaughters and youngest girls. Definitely changed my perception on a lot of things and challenged me a lot.

Also had to laugh at that crack at Diane's outfit. That was great. But wow, so much to think about.

The 20/20 interview was really well done, but I fear that we are going to see a real cheapening and exploitation of transgender issues when the reality TV program comes out. Bruce Jenner has been and will continue to be a willing arm of the Kardashian money making machine. His show will be on the E! Network, the Kardashian mothership. I don't have very high expectations that they will not take the road of maximum exploitation.

I'm old enough to remember Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon. He will always have a place in my memories, and I am so happy he can finally be the person he was born to be. But his life is too intertwined with those horrible K women and their business empire for me to hold out hope his reality show could be used to break stereotypes.

I figured I was one of the only ones here to remember Bruce winning the decathlon at the '76 Olympics! A plot of us young women crushed on him. We thought he was dreamy!

I figured I was one of the only ones here to remember Bruce winning the decathlon at the '76 Olympics! A plot of us young women crushed on him. We thought he was dreamy!

I was very young and not particularly interested in sports, and I still remember that time. One of the first athletic superstars. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say he was the first athlete to appear on the Wheaties box. That would make him a pioneer in the world of sports sponsorships.

Yes indeed, he was the pioneer of sports sponsorship with the Wheaties box. All the superstar athletes who become multimillionaires from endorsement deals owe a "thank you" to Bruce Jenner.

And I was totally in love with him. :D He was a modern Adonis.

Archived