IGNORED

Religions similar to the Duggars

KelseyAnn

Umm, ok, all I said was that I believe there are similarities between Orthodox Judaism and the Duggars. That's making you uncomfortable? OK.........................

Yes, it makes me uncomfortable. Look at this exchange:

If you think they're so similar, you might want to take a closer look at both groups.

I'm getting a whiff of casual antisemitism from these two commenters. YMMV.

Yes, it makes me uncomfortable. Look at this exchange:

If you think they're so similar, you might want to take a closer look at both groups.

I'm getting a whiff of casual antisemitism from these two commenters. YMMV.

Wow, seriously? first of all, they are similar in terms of dress (men must dress like men, women like women, certain body parts must be covered at all times), women staying home and running the house, having a lot of kids as an army for their faith, men being the financial provider and head of the household and men and women being separated at synagogue, social functions, etc.. Also, no drinking, hand holding or outward signs of affection outside of the home, and so on. So, yes, there are similarities right there.

And, don't you dare come up with "a whiff of anti semitism" thrown my way!!! My husband is Jewish, my father was Jewish and you have a lot of nerve accusing somebody you don't even know of something so awful just based on the fact that I said I saw similarities, when, there are lifestyle similarities!!

I am not the one who made the going blind statement by the way, nor, did I or do I agree with it.

Wow, seriously? first of all, they are similar in terms of dress (men must dress like men, women like women, certain body parts must be covered at all times), women staying home and running the house, having a lot of kids as an army for their faith, men being the financial provider and head of the household and men and women being separated at synagogue, social functions, etc.. Also, no drinking, hand holding or outward signs of affection outside of the home, and so on. So, yes, there are similarities right there.

And, don't you dare come up with "a whiff of anti semitism" thrown my way!!! My husband is Jewish, my father was Jewish and you have a lot of nerve accusing somebody you don't even know of something so awful just based on the fact that I said I saw similarities, when, there are lifestyle similarities!!

I am not the one who made the going blind statement by the way, nor, did I or do I agree with it.

OH, I see the problem now, you took my last statement as me saying that I agreed with the previous poster about inbreeding and blindness, that is NOT what I was doing. My last statement was only made to show that I live and work in a situation where I know a lot of Orthodox people, it was not in agreement with the previous poster about blindness and such. Apologies to you there if that is how it came across. I don't remember quoting that poster in my post about working with Orthodox Jews, etc., if I did, my mistake.

I just now looked back and my statement was not in reply to the other poster's statement about inbreeding and such and I did not quote the other poster in my post. My post was just a separate post that you seem to have taken as a reply to the inbreeding post which it was NOT!!!

Your first paragraph demonstrates the patriarchy mentality the two groups share, but if you look deeper you will see that's one of the few things they have in common. I'm much more familiar with the Duggars' lifestyle than I am with Othodox Judaism, but it's plain to me that they are more different than they are alike. I don't know. Maybe it's worth discussing.

You know what's worse than being accused of maaaaybe saying something casually antisemitic? Being casually antisemitic. So I stand by my comment at this time. Again, YMMV.

"men being the financial provider"

"women staying home and running the house"

This is often not the case at all in Orthodox Jewish families. It can be the wife who runs a business or travels internationally for NASA or works fulltime at her computer job.

"no drinking" - incorrect, just shouldn't be drunkards

"no hand holding or outward signs of affection outside of the home" - personal choice

"men must dress like men, women like women, certain body parts must be covered at all times" - yes

"men and women being separated at synagogue" - yes

There are certain lifestyle similarities but the thinking is largely dissimilar.

Your first paragraph demonstrates the patriarchy mentality the two groups share, but if you look deeper you will see that's one of the few things they have in common. I'm much more familiar with the Duggars' lifestyle than I am with Othodox Judaism, but it's plain to me that they are more different than they are alike. I don't know. Maybe it's worth discussing.

You know what's worse than being accused of maaaaybe saying something casually antisemitic? Being casually antisemitic. So I stand by my comment at this time. Again, YMMV.

Wow, Ok, I guess since you know nothing about what I am speaking of, you have every right to call me names. When my husband comes home tonight I will tell him we should get divorced since some person on the internet says I am casually anti semitic. Wow, you are something...................

"men being the financial provider"

"women staying home and running the house"

This is often not the case at all in Orthodox Jewish families. It can be the wife who runs a business or travels internationally for NASA or works fulltime at her computer job.

"no drinking" - incorrect, just shouldn't be drunkards

"no hand holding or outward signs of affection outside of the home" - personal choice

"men must dress like men, women like women, certain body parts must be covered at all times" - yes

"men and women being separated at synagogue" - yes

There are certain lifestyle similarities but the thinking is largely dissimilar.

Didn't I say lifestyle similarities?? Didn't I? Umm, and every Orthodox Jewish person I know does not drink, period. I have been to weddings and bar mitzvahs of people who were Orthodox, no alcohol. period.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT LIFESTYLE SIMILARITIES AND PEOPLE AROUND HERE ARE RIPPING IT UP AND TEARING IT APART FOR NO REASON.

Hand holding, etc, personal choice, yes, maybe, but, you will not be looked upon kindly by others if you choose to go this route....

I'm actually glad to hear that apparently more Orthodox Jews are choosing not to drink alcohol. Surely they drink it for ritual purposes like on the Sabbath and Passover - at least a little? Or they might be substituting Kedem grape juice, which is a tasty and acceptable alternative.

Archived