IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting - Season 10 - Duggar Snark Part 5

Coconut Flan

I think it's the liveliest she's ever been! It was great.

There was also a moment there between Mullet and Joy Anna that felt really genuine. That was nice to see!

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the Jessa-moon episode. I honestly can't snark on Jessa's escargot reaction. I love escargot, but it is something you have to learn to love if you didn't grow up thinking of snails as food. I strongly suspect the "gift" was ordered and paid for by the producers, just to get the gross out reaction from Jessa and the audience. Frankly I think that's pretty mean spirited and unfair both to Jessa/Ben and to the restaurateur. I think Jessa handled it well - she tried not to do the whole "ew gross!" thing in front of the waiter, calmly refrained from eating something she suspected would cause an involuntary reaction, and encouraged Ben to try it. We know she hasn't had the best education when it comes to etiquette, and in that context I think she handle the situation well. She definitely didn't demonstrate the over the top gross out reaction I expected.

I also thought Ben's strategy to order anything labeled boeuf was cute. On my first trip to Paris (when I was 14), I ordered a herring dish because it was the only word on the menu I recognized. I grew up in an area where herring are very common on menus, but almost always fried, so I was fully expecting fried herring, not the pickled herring I received. I tried enough to be polite and confirm that I wasn't going to be able to eat it, then traded dishes with my mom since she loves pickled fish.

Sure, but there is no way that talking to your child with thick baby talk like Anna does is doing them any favors. All her kids sound exactly like she does when she baby talks and it is sad because it makes them harder to understand.

Higher-pitched voice? Probably beneficial, according to your reasoning and the link. Deliberately replacing R's with w's? Go fuck yourself, Anna.

Oh she does that? My bad, I didn't know she was a complete idiot.

I'm still a pretty big proponent of child-directed speech (which doesn't feature any intentional mispronunciation).

I will never understand TLC's deliberate rehash of everything except what the viewers want to actually see.

It's like, they know that their target demographic would watch basically anything that has the Duggar brand attached to it.

Luckily my last (ever!!!) college final is during the show so I won't be compelled to watch.

I will never understand TLC's deliberate rehash of everything except what the viewers want to actually see.

It's like, they know that their target demographic would watch basically anything that has the Duggar brand attached to it.

Luckily my last (ever!!!) college final is during the show so I won't be compelled to watch.

I watch the episodes once they have been uploaded online. So, and I kid you not, I watched 15 minutes of a wrongly labeled honeymoon episode (it was the multiple weeding recap episode) because I really thought they were reshowing it all. :shifty-kitty:

Screw those recap episodes. It would be one thing if they recapped things that they didn't show on a regular basis or showed some never-before-seen footage, but FFS, we see Anna giving birth on the toilet every other episode, it seems like.

I can't help but picture the TLC editorial meeting where someone must have proclaimed, 'I know what viewers want - three hours of fundamentalist Christian women giving birth! Repeatedly! Because everyone loves screaming and swearing and blood and pixelated ladyparts!'

:cray-cray:

I recall wanting more than a 30 minute show because it seemed rush. Now, I barely watch the show.

Just to compare my train-riding experiences as an American: I live in the SF Bay Area and have taken Amtrak to and from Colorado. I also have used BART extensively (and MUNI, 20+ years ago). None can hold a candle to the longer distance train I rode from Stockholm to the Swedish countryside, at least as far as upholstery, seat width, amenities, etc.

They live in a more rural area so not sure what train systems they have their, pretty sure not much mass transit. I know they've ridden trains in Japan and the subway in NY.

I live an hour+ outside of San Francisco. The best train rides I've taken are the historic ones in Gold Country & Santa Cruz, the ones at Disneyland (monorail and DL RR), and Amtrack to the State Capitol on a field trip. Amtrack was pretty cool, I wouldn't mind taking the train up to Canada through Oregon and Washington. I hear the passenger trains in Europe are pretty cool.

As for locally, we have BART, our Bay Area Rapid Transit system....It's nasty. Once in a while we take it to a Giants game, but that's about it. It doesn't feel safe and not relaxing at all. I much prefer driving and dealing with traffic and route options and having a way to get home to my family and animals in the event of a big emergency instead of being stuck in the train or on platform. Not very eco friendly, I know, but after my parents got stuck in SF for hours with no way home after the Loma Prieta earthquake it just makes sense. Thank God my commute is only 5 minutes. The ACE train that goes to San Jose isn't too bad, but cleaner, but again, if there's an emergency you can't get to where you need to go any time soon.

I watch the episodes once they have been uploaded online. So, and I kid you not, I watched 15 minutes of a wrongly labeled honeymoon episode (it was the multiple weeding recap episode) because I really thought they were reshowing it all. :shifty-kitty:

Yep, same here. Found it on YouTube though. Bless the individual who uploads those episodes even though they get deleted within days.

I think it's the liveliest she's ever been! It was great.

I think that is her nature and she finally showed it - and it was hilarious - and that is why probably her kids like so much (during the mother's day episode it dawned on me - she can't be so weird and now we know )- because to us she never shows that side

to the rest of their group she does

I found it refreshing and real and not so staged at the TH's

They live in a more rural area so not sure what train systems they have their, pretty sure not much mass transit. I know they've ridden trains in Japan and the subway in NY.

I live an hour+ outside of San Francisco. The best train rides I've taken are the historic ones in Gold Country & Santa Cruz, the ones at Disneyland (monorail and DL RR), and Amtrack to the State Capitol on a field trip. Amtrack was pretty cool, I wouldn't mind taking the train up to Canada through Oregon and Washington. I hear the passenger trains in Europe are pretty cool.

As for locally, we have BART, our Bay Area Rapid Transit system....It's nasty. Once in a while we take it to a Giants game, but that's about it. It doesn't feel safe and not relaxing at all. I much prefer driving and dealing with traffic and route options and having a way to get home to my family and animals in the event of a big emergency instead of being stuck in the train or on platform. Not very eco friendly, I know, but after my parents got stuck in SF for hours with no way home after the Loma Prieta earthquake it just makes sense. Thank God my commute is only 5 minutes. The ACE train that goes to San Jose isn't too bad, but cleaner, but again, if there's an emergency you can't get to where you need to go any time soon.

I keep having to remind myself that a) Ben is only 19 and what did I know at 19 and trust me if we had the green thingy - I could share and B) she is always asking if and when he has done things - when we know she has done these things

if you think about it -she is more worldy than Ben is - because she has been travelling on camera for years and has discovered things, yet her husband who has lived in one place for 18 years has never been on a train - at least she doesn't laugh at him about that

it's almost like Ben is experiencing the world and we get to watch him do it.

Screw those recap episodes. It would be one thing if they recapped things that they didn't show on a regular basis or showed some never-before-seen footage, but FFS, we see Anna giving birth on the toilet every other episode, it seems like.

I love the episodes the following week they air - they always have extra footage I can't wait to see. :cracking-up:

I am still waiting to see Ben hug his sister during the rehearsal dinner - I always wonder what she said.

It would be amazing to see blooper episodes or even never before seen footage stuff - HELLO - anyone - connections :D

the Duggar say I do episode where they were interviewed was hilarious

when they asked each other what pet the husband was - you could totally tell who was compatible

ie B & J and J & A opposed to Derick and Jill who were hilarious because they were off their game

Just watched the Jessa-moon episode. I honestly can't snark on Jessa's escargot reaction. I love escargot, but it is something you have to learn to love if you didn't grow up thinking of snails as food..

This is the first time I really saw her as a b**ch. She won't try escargot, but she pushes Ben out onto a glass floor?????

This is the first time I really saw her as a b**ch. She won't try escargot, but she pushes Ben out onto a glass floor?????

Ben is a kid.

Jessa has been bossing around kids for a good long time.

And I quote one of the howlers, "Don't mess with Jess."

They are both going to be miserable in short order.

YAY AREAAAAAA

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I'm hella too old to say "hella" anymore

You're never too old to say hella in Oakland! 4th generation Oaklander here!

You're never too old to say hella in Oakland! 4th generation Oaklander here!

I worked at the Children's Hospital in Oakland for 20 years!

Oh, I agree that the glass floor thing was a really shitty way to treat Ben, especially when directed at the person you're supposed to love and all that. I hate heights, and completely understand why Ben was uncomfortable standing on the glass. I someone tried that with me, I would likely hurt them (unintentionally) as I tried to get away.

But the escargot thing didn't bother me. People have strong food preferences. It would be one thing if she ordered escargot or saw others eating it and made a scene, but the escargot showed up unsolicited. If the producers ordered the escargot (as I suspect they did), then the entire purpose was to get Jessa to react rudely, and she didn't take the bait.

New to FJ but a longtime lurker, just watched the honeymoon episode. Can I just say that Michelle acted ridiculous in the thrift store, she acted like she was truly a shopping addict ("I just can't handle thrift store deals" -__-. I was really grossed out by the birds on their heads, too. Birds are so, so dirty.. I could never. Also, I see a few comments about Bay Area folks on here. Fellow Bay Area (east bay) resident here! :greetings-waveyellow:

New to FJ but a longtime lurker, just watched the honeymoon episode. Can I just say that Michelle acted ridiculous in the thrift store, she acted like she was truly a shopping addict ("I just can't handle thrift store deals" -__-. I was really grossed out by the birds on their heads, too. Birds are so, so dirty.. I could never. Also, I see a few comments about Bay Area folks on here. Fellow Bay Area (east bay) resident here! :greetings-waveyellow:

Welcome!

Welcome!

OMG can we all have a local IRL play date? Message me!

I've finally caught up on all the episodes, yay me!

The all about Jessa episode was pretty boring, I wish they wouldn't do all these flashback episodes with 5 minutes of new footage, they're even more boring than the regular episodes. I thought the wedding was very nice, or at least as nice as a wedding can be that is held in a parking lot in November.

I also enjoyed seeing Michelle in the thrift store. It was too funny!

But the most interesting part was obviously the honeymoon. I was yelling at the TV when Jessa was shoving Ben out on that platform. If someone is afraid of heights you don't just push them onto a glass platform! Why force someone into doing something they are terrified of? I thought they were kind of rude with the escargot but they could have been worse. If you don't want to eat something just don't eat it. Why sit there making faces at the food and smelling it? Either eat it or don't.

It looks like they had a nice trip. I don't know if anyone has said this before me but it looks like TLC followed them around for one day in each city and the rest of the time they had to themselves. Hopefully they saw a lot more than what we saw they saw. I'm really curious to know if they actually went in to any of the churches and cathedrals while they were there, being Catholic and all. Although, I wonder if they went to church while they were there? There aren't exactly as many Baptist churches in Italy as there are in Arkansas.

I enjoyed seeing them at the cooking class! I think it is a bit overwhelming for a lot of people to meet Italians for the first time and see how touchy they tend to be. There's definitely a big difference in personal boundaries between Italian culture and mainstream American culture, let alone Fundie culture.

Finally, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to feed the pigeons in Piazza San Marco.

I'm weeping for Buzzard

Yeah... not sure I'm up for four hours of duggar birthin. I'll definitely be here for tuesday night's shit show, but I've been there, done that on all the others!

Archived