IGNORED

19 Kids & Counting - Season 10 - Duggar Snark Part 5

Coconut Flan

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With more and more Duggar children now transitioning into their own lives apart from Michelle and Jim Bob's family unit, how do you think the show will evolve?

We haven't gotten the chance to see many episodes post-Jessa/Jill weddings, but if the way that TLC handled Josh and Anna is any indication, we'll start to see side stories with Jessa/Ben and Jill/Derick that don't have anything to do with what's happening at TTH. And that's the way the viewers would want it, I think. If TLC only showed Benessa and the Dillards when their lives intersected with the Duggar clan, we wouldn't really get to see their lives, and I think we're curious.

But, that's a lot of couples to squeeze-in! How is TLC going to handle it? Spin-off? Would a spin-off end up killing 19K&C early? How are Jim Bob and Michelle going to handle it? 19K&C is THEIR show, but if the focus stays on THEM then I think viewers will be unhappy. I don't know how they'd handle sharing a lot of screen time with Dillards and Seewalds. But, I don't know how they'd handle Jill and Jessa getting a (potentially more popular) spin-off either.

And, let's face it, if Jill and Jessa get a spin-off, it wouldn't be because they had 19 kids, but because they're now C-list celebs. The show would be about them as people, not just them as people managing a family. Would that be hard for Jim Bob and Michelle?

Well, meat can be handled a little different, mainly if you are in a western or middle eastern country. For religious reasons you can reject meat: it has to be halal, kosher, or you are a seventh day adventist advocating vegetarianism.

For all other instances, yes, yes, yes.

I think that most of the time a person's aversion to foods like escargot (or beef tongue, or rocky mountain oysters, or shrimp/lobster, or insects, etc) is mostly about the degree to which we can recognize it as its animal form, and less about the actual taste. And I think it's *very* difficult to overcome such an aversion on the spot. I mean, there are stories of children starving to death even after food was made available, because it was food they didn't recognize as food, that didn't fit their sense of familiarity, and the aversion was strong enough to overcome the desperation of the starving body. So I can kind of give a pass to someone who can't help that they find something really disgusting, no matter how much of a delicacy it might seem to others.

At the same time, someone who is traveling voluntarily to another food culture really ought to have decided in advance if they are up for trying the known things they might have issues with, and if they decide they are not up for that, they really ought to be ready with a polite way to decline -- "ewww" not being one of the options. Depending on the customs of the culture, a polite way to decline might be to "pretend" a taste or sip, or to claim a religious or health or other reason to avoid the item in question, or to just be *really eager* to try something else instead. There is no need to be insulting to the chef, as J&B apparently did (I did not see it myself, just going on what is said here). I can only think they are, as others have mentioned, playing a character for the TV audience. Their insularity, even when it's not religion-related, seems to be one of the storylines.

What is up with that, BTW? I don't know how any of the older kids were raised, but Josie and a little bit of Jordyn have terrible lisps. I have heard that baby-voicing your toddler is a no-no because they mimick your speech pattern. Anna is a huge baby-talker and her kids have ridiculous baby voices/lisps too.

And now we know that Ben had a terrible (or exaggerated) lisp as a child.

Why do fundie moms do this? Is it because they are taught at a young age to see babies as a cute toy rather than a future human being? (My own personal opinion.) I wonder if they have a different reason for baby-talking so much.

So, there's this thing called child-directed speech. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_talk (link not broken bc it's wiki)

Higher in pitch, lots of glissando, etc.

It's quite beneficial for the kid. It teaches them the bidirectional nature of speech, and demonstrates importance of verbal feedback, even if it's nonsense babbling by the parent. Experts advise bringing adult words in as well, but that the highly modulated speech pattern is good for child development as it is appealing to infants and toddlers. Now using baby talk on children (my definition of a child is someone who is speaking full, if simple, sentences) is less great, but, I felt like I should defend something that is actually a good thing.

Fundie moms may not be aware of the science behind it, but they're not hurting their kids by using it. If anything, parents who don't use CDS might not be doing as much as they can to ensure their child's successful development.

The lisps are probably from the Duggar kiddos' mouth structure...Duggars probably emphasize dental health because, without intervention, they probably have f*cked up teeth (which messes up your speech.)

I don't fault Jessa for not wanting to try escargot. I have a problem with a lot of food textures and they make me gag, quite audibly. So I know I wouldn't try it either.

I noticed when the guy came back and asked about it she said it was "interesting" or something implying she tried it. So in that sense, maybe she did try to pretend she tried it for that guy's benefit.

With more and more Duggar children now transitioning into their own lives apart from Michelle and Jim Bob's family unit, how do you think the show will evolve?

We haven't gotten the chance to see many episodes post-Jessa/Jill weddings, but if the way that TLC handled Josh and Anna is any indication, we'll start to see side stories with Jessa/Ben and Jill/Derick that don't have anything to do with what's happening at TTH. And that's the way the viewers would want it, I think. If TLC only showed Benessa and the Dillards when their lives intersected with the Duggar clan, we wouldn't really get to see their lives, and I think we're curious.

But, that's a lot of couples to squeeze-in! How is TLC going to handle it? Spin-off? Would a spin-off end up killing 19K&C early? How are Jim Bob and Michelle going to handle it? 19K&C is THEIR show, but if the focus stays on THEM then I think viewers will be unhappy. I don't know how they'd handle sharing a lot of screen time with Dillards and Seewalds. But, I don't know how they'd handle Jill and Jessa getting a (potentially more popular) spin-off either.

And, let's face it, if Jill and Jessa get a spin-off, it wouldn't be because they had 19 kids, but because they're now C-list celebs. The show would be about them as people, not just them as people managing a family. Would that be hard for Jim Bob and Michelle?

I can see the show continuing with little snippets of the married kids' lives mixed in with random boring crap about Jim Bob and Michelle. But I'm sure TLC realizes people don't really want to watch them take kids to the eye doctor and whatnot anymore. It's not interesting at all. So they will probably focus a lot more on the older kids as they start getting married and having babies. Maybe they will eventually just phase out JB and Michelle.

Yes. Our passenger train system is abysmal. However, Jessa must have ridden a subway somewhere.

Just to compare my train-riding experiences as an American: I live in the SF Bay Area and have taken Amtrak to and from Colorado. I also have used BART extensively (and MUNI, 20+ years ago). None can hold a candle to the longer distance train I rode from Stockholm to the Swedish countryside, at least as far as upholstery, seat width, amenities, etc.

I just saw the preview and even watching the 2 second image of Josie having a seizure and Jana crying, I got this big knot in my stomach. :(

Poor thing, and poor Jana. She must have been really scared. I don't know if I'm comfortable with this being on TV. I know I'm not their mom, so I can't stop it from airing. But I have the choice not to watch.

Watching the honeymoon episode and OMG Michelle running around the thrift store is JUST AMAZING. hiding things behind her her back, scurrying through the isles talking to herself in a baby voice. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would watch her shop like that in every episode.

I'm sure it will be hard for JBoob and JChelle, but otherwise I just see more of the same with a new generation, as we are already seeing. Gather the family, on Skype if need be, to look at our pee test! Gender reveal party! Couple eats a meal at home! Couple goes to a restaurant! Televised home birth! New courting couple gets advice in the prayer closet! Staged visit to "exotic" location where couple can act like assholes! How Anna handles SOTDRT. Mission to majority-Catholic country to bring them Jesus and the Bible.

Interspersed with JB, Jchelle and the smaller children doing talking heads.

I do predict fewer trips to see their "best friends" the Bateses.

Is there a post somewhere that lists all of the acronyms here and what they mean?

What is SOTDRT?

Just to compare my train-riding experiences as an American: I live in the SF Bay Area and have taken Amtrak to and from Colorado. I also have used BART extensively (and MUNI, 20+ years ago). None can hold a candle to the longer distance train I rode from Stockholm to the Swedish countryside, at least as far as upholstery, seat width, amenities, etc.

To the bolded: I'm on BART right now so that was a trip to see on here. Worlds colliding (hella)

On an unrelated note, I don't know if this has been discussed yet but has anyone read the synopsis for the 5/4 episode? Are you telling me we are going to have to rehash every filmed birth? And it's 3hrs long AND it doesn't even include the birth of baby izzy? What the hell TLC? What the hell?

To the bolded: I'm on BART right now so that was a trip to see on here. Worlds colliding (hella)

On an unrelated note, I don't know if this has been discussed yet but has anyone read the synopsis for the 5/4 episode? Are you telling me we are going to have to rehash every filmed birth? And it's 3hrs long AND it doesn't even include the birth of baby izzy? What the hell TLC? What the hell?

What? No Izzy on the birth episode ? Seriously ?

YAY AREAAAAAA

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I'm hella too old to say "hella" anymore

Watching the honeymoon episode and OMG Michelle running around the thrift store is JUST AMAZING. hiding things behind her her back, scurrying through the isles talking to herself in a baby voice. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would watch her shop like that in every episode.

I think it's the liveliest she's ever been! It was great.

Wait...how can it not show the birth of Israel? I thought that was the main purpose of the episode?!

Where are you reading the synopsis?

YAY AREAAAAAA

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I'm hella too old to say "hella" anymore

First and foremost, one is NEVER too old to say hella, it's like breathing to is locals. I say this as a 30 yearly old who uses it maybe too much.

I saw the synopsis on my dvr and took a pic but it's too big to upload. Will try to resize and post. It basically said we would spend three hours watching the births from Michelle's first televised birth to marcus. And I'm like, nah nah nah that's all recycled material and a toilet birth to boot!

Here it is, hope that went through well. My phone is acting wonky

post-4896-1445200012797_thumb.jpg

So, there's this thing called child-directed speech. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_talk (link not broken bc it's wiki)

Higher in pitch, lots of glissando, etc.

It's quite beneficial for the kid. It teaches them the bidirectional nature of speech, and demonstrates importance of verbal feedback, even if it's nonsense babbling by the parent. Experts advise bringing adult words in as well, but that the highly modulated speech pattern is good for child development as it is appealing to infants and toddlers. Now using baby talk on children (my definition of a child is someone who is speaking full, if simple, sentences) is less great, but, I felt like I should defend something that is actually a good thing.

Fundie moms may not be aware of the science behind it, but they're not hurting their kids by using it. If anything, parents who don't use CDS might not be doing as much as they can to ensure their child's successful development.

The lisps are probably from the Duggar kiddos' mouth structure...Duggars probably emphasize dental health because, without intervention, they probably have f*cked up teeth (which messes up your speech.)

Sure, but there is no way that talking to your child with thick baby talk like Anna does is doing them any favors. All her kids sound exactly like she does when she baby talks and it is sad because it makes them harder to understand.

Higher-pitched voice? Probably beneficial, according to your reasoning and the link. Deliberately replacing R's with w's? Go fuck yourself, Anna.

I can't help but picture the TLC editorial meeting where someone must have proclaimed, 'I know what viewers want - three hours of fundamentalist Christian women giving birth! Repeatedly! Because everyone loves screaming and swearing and blood and pixelated ladyparts!'

:cray-cray:

Archived