IGNORED

4 Republican hopefuls at a Christian homeschool conference

Delilah

I was undecided if this topic belonged in Quiver Full of Snark or Wide World of Snark, but since it mentions the Duggars, I put it here.

This article isn't very new, so it may have already been discussed.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /25663141/

Candidates courting Republican votes are trying to allow tax money marked for public education to be diverted to homeschooling and religious schools.

Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, and Bobby Jindal spoke at the conference. Ted Cruz said school choice is the civil rights issue of the 21st century. Santorum said we don't need education standards, we need parents.

The article talks about our Founding Fathers advocated for public educations, and by 1870 the U.S. had public elementary schools in every state resulting in high literacy rates. Public education was viewed as the way to make America great. Now our public schools are on shaky financial ground, and if these 4 speakers have their way, the situation will only get worse.

Huckabee appeared with the Duggars at another recent event. He said, "They exemplify the family you'd love for every family in America to be like." He went on to say that they homeschool and save the taxpayers millions. Shouldn't they get some of that money back?

The article ends with these words:

"Another of the great contributions of public education was liberating mothers, on whom the onus of homeschooling falls heaviest. Perhaps this is a subtle way of encouraging families back into traditional roles with women staying home.

It's doubtful if any of the four who spoke (including Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal) would be holding up a large Muslim family for emulation. But the homeschooling issues helped them frame a supposed narrative about a war on Christianity. In fact, they're waging war on America's history of progress."

The article talks about our Founding Fathers advocated for public educations, and by 1870 the U.S. had public elementary schools in every state resulting in high literacy rates. Public education was viewed as the way to make America great. Now our public schools are on shaky financial ground, and if these 4 speakers have their way, the situation will only get worse.

Huckabee appeared with the Duggars at another recent event. He said, "They exemplify the family you'd love for every family in America to be like." He went on to say that they homeschool and save the taxpayers millions. Shouldn't they get some of that money back?

"

You know what, Mike? If the Duggar children could perform as well as Laura Ingalls and her fellow pupils at that school exhibition in Little Town On The Prairie (around 1880 or so), I might be half inclined to agree with you. Somehow, though, I doubt those ridiculous Wisdom Booklets Michelle used gave them even as much REAL education as the youngest of the students in that little De Smet schoolhouse received. So...no. They should get no money back. :evil-eye:

My state so wants to give homeschoolers and religious schools the same funding per student as public schools, but can't yet figure out how to do so.... so they keep defunding public schools.... But my belief is if you want public school funding, send your kid to public school. If you don't want said funding, don't.

BUt our state is willing to destroy the quality of public education to make the point that private religious / Christian schools should be funded. :angry-banghead:

Shouldn't this be titled "4 Republicans Without Hope of Winning A General Election"?

I went to Catholic school. If I ever have kids, they are going to Catholic school too. Somehow I doubt we would be the right kind of Christians to receive funding. I have no problem with homeschooling when it is done correctly with the goal of actually educated your child. What the Duggars do, and those like them, is give their kids the minimal amount of education possible. The focus is isolation, not education. These are not homeschooled kids that are going to be captains of industry, medical professionals or anything that requires higher than a sixth grade education. If everyone went Duggar level education we would be the living embodiment of the movie Idiocracy. The Republicans pander to the Duggar types, yet their own kids are well educated and they would have it no other way. Santorium was all up on the Duggars, yet his own daughter went away to a secular college. He gave her a chance at making her own life, something the Duggars would never do with their own.

Some homeschoolers I know do a great job. Some do not. Neither group should get public funding to homeschool.

If they fund homeschooling then they have to held to the same standards that public or charter schools are-including standardized testing. I have a feeling that a majority of homeschooler would not score at grade level.

My state so wants to give homeschoolers and religious schools the same funding per student as public schools, but can't yet figure out how to do so.... so they keep defunding public schools.... But my belief is if you want public school funding, send your kid to public school. If you don't want said funding, don't.

BUt our state is willing to destroy the quality of public education to make the point that private religious / Christian schools should be funded. :angry-banghead:

I agree. I sent both of my daughters to Catholic high school, but I paid for it. I would never expect the taxpayers to foot the bill.

Here in California, there are a couple of free homeschool options. They are great for medically fragile kids who can't attend regular school. I'm fine with my tax money going to support programs like that. I'm not fine with my tax money going directly to individual families to do whatever they want with it. I'm certainly not fine with paying for anyone's religious education.

How much will the duggers cost society when they can't get good jobs or support their large families because their education was so lacking. All the pandering idiots had a hell of a lot more education then the kids they are taking about will ever get.

Shouldn't this be titled "4 Republicans Without Hope of Winning A General Election"?

Ha ha! Actually, I thought my title sounded like the set up for a joke. Something like "A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar..." :lol:

Oh they wouldn't want the strings attached to public money. They want their freedom to do anything they choose without having to answer to an overseeing committee. Same thing for churches wanting to keep religious freedom - they can't demand perks without allowing equality. There's no way this would work out in the real world, the world that demands fairness for all, not perks for the few.

So basically fiscal conservatives are saying ok for any other kind of public assistance, to even VOTE - the unwashed masses should jump through all these hoops, but hey let's pass out some kind of free education money voucher to any parent who asks without standards that have to be met? yeah, not going to happen. :lol:

Just a bunch of hot air from windbags talking to people who don't want to consider fairness for people they don't agree with, or really consider big world ramifications.

unless they're saying it's a tax credit, which ok might be easy to tack onto the tax code but how is it enforced? Still requires hoops some parents aren't going to agree with i bet. And anyway isn't school funding part of property values/homeowner taxes and all that?

i don't know much about what i'm talking about :lol: but yeah. These guys make me ragey. Stupid stumping that doesn't match up to the real world. /over it.

it's like those kid movies where the one running for class president promises they'll put a coke machine in the cafeteria or something equally out of their control and all the kids jump up and cheer lol. ....ok, sure.

Archived