IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez (Jill and Jessa’s wedding planner)

JillyO

Sierra's daughter is only seven months old.

I get leaving your family size up to God, but I wish these people would at least wait a year before becoming pregnant again. Her youngest is still an infant and won't even be two by the time new baby come a around. I hope the pregnancy isn't messing with her ability to care for and bond with her baby girl. (Morning sickness, fatigue, etc.

I guess someday Sierra will have the sister mom thing happening (unless she has mostly boys, then is it brother dad or brother mom?)

Don't worry, she'll end up with Friend-Moms with the names Johanna, Jennifer, Jordyn and Josie Duggar. I know we've all assumed those four youngest Duggar girls will have it so much easier than their oldest sisters, but they won't. They will be shipped off to their older brother's and sister's homes to help raise their nieces and nephews and they'll be shipped off to local friend's homes (Sierra and others I'm sure) to help raise their eleventy children. Well, I guess it'll still be a *little* easier than Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger had it since at least those kids won't live with them 24/7 so they'll get some reprieve, but still. Johanna's childhood ends right about now, Jenny will be following shortly. Enjoy it while it lasts, Jordyn and Josie!

Annnnnd count me in as another who assumed Sierra was about 10 years older than she actually is (she looks easily between 32-35 to me). Does having children literally suck the youth out of your body? :o

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's definitely something reassuring about being told exactly how things are. I didn't grew up Quiverfull or anything, but I grew up pretty darn fundie. Became heathen about 10 years ago in college. Well, the transition to heathenism started then.

I can still see the appeal. When my grandfather died after battling dementia for the last years of his life, the idea of him reuniting with my late grandmother was so appealing on a visceral level that it made my heart hurt to think about it. It still is. It's nice to think that after dealing with all this crap on earth, your reward is eternal life in the clouds, or something.

So I'm guessing the cults reel people in by promising them certainty and eternal life, etc. Plus, never discount the social aspect. I kept going to church as a teenager in large part because of crushes on guys in my youth group, and the idea that they weren't like all those Dangerous Secular Boys. I mean, I still thought all boys were Raging Hormone Monsters out to steal my virtue, but I still held the church boys in higher esteem somehow.

I think you've made a great point about the social aspect. Feeling that we are part of a community is not something that we can take for granted in modern secular life, IMO. It helps to explain the existence of communities like FJ, and maybe why people initially get involved in cults. I have great memories of growing up in a relaxed, church-going community.

ETA: so sorry about your grandfather. Dementia is heartbreaking.

In terms of Sierra becoming fundie, I can see how that does happen. I was raised to think critically and liberally, but I do often think to myself how much easier my life would be if I was a fundie. I wouldn't need to make so many huge decisions about my life and my future. My freedom would be contained, and that can bring security for people. A certain amount of anxiety does come with having lots of opportunity and choice in life, and it can stir up feelings of indecision, panic, dissatisfaction etc. Of course choice brings freedom and that is a good thing, but research has shown that too much choice is not necessarily psychologically beneficial.

The problem with the show and the blogs that we snark on here is that they don't show the downside to fundamentalism. We are seeing people like Sierra - attractive, energetic and smiling people whose needs seem to be met and who seem to be thriving.

The downside is that the lifestyle is just SO blinkered and the worldview SO judgmental and narrow.

I know what you mean though, jinseng. I think most of us do.

Guess I am in the minority, she doesn't bug me that much and I think she's kind of cute. She reminds me of Maci from Teen Mom. I just hope Jim Bob actually paid her for being his daughter's wedding planner.

The age difference between her and her husband doesn't bug me. Having so many kids in so short a time is more worrisome to me. If she keeps going at this rate she is going to beat Michelle.

Guess I am in the minority, she doesn't bug me that much and I think she's kind of cute. She reminds me of Maci from Teen Mom. I just hope Jim Bob actually paid her for being his daughter's wedding planner.

I assumed she was "paid" via all her airtime on the show.

In terms of Sierra becoming fundie, I can see how that does happen. I was raised to think critically and liberally, but I do often think to myself how much easier my life would be if I was a fundie. I wouldn't need to make so many huge decisions about my life and my future. My freedom would be contained, and that can bring security for people. A certain amount of anxiety does come with having lots of opportunity and choice in life, and it can stir up feelings of indecision, panic, dissatisfaction etc. Of course choice brings freedom and that is a good thing, but research has shown that too much choice is not necessarily psychologically beneficial.

....I know what you mean though, jinseng. I think most of us do.

Yup.

Am I remembering correctly and she ran after Jill and Derick as they ran out of the church? She annoyed me so much then and still continues too. She seems like the biggest know all and acts so self important. There are lots of people who can handle that kind of sized wedding, not just her.

I find her only mildly annoying - the eyes and voice bother me. I actually thought she was around 25, maybe a bit older but I didn't know she has so many kids. wow. I never understood having kids so close together...I know I could cope with having many babies, but I just CANNOT cope with being pregnant and caring for a older baby/young toddler. not just no, but hell no. My 2 middle kids are 2.5 years apart and that was too close for me. Changing diapers while pregnant is not something I dealt with very well.

As for the age gap...it was a different era but both sets of my grandparents had 11+ years of age difference. I dated older guys (5-6 years older) when I was in high school. I don't see age as a big deal. Well, within reason....anyway...I judge what's creepy on a case-by-case basis. :lol:

Age gaps in young people are worrisome because of a power imbalance. The older person in a relationship may use their younger partner's lack of "maturity" to manipulate or pressure them into something they aren't comfortable with. The idea that the younger one has to prove that they're worthy is what is problematic.

However, we can assume that Sierra's relationship was already based on a power imbalance because of the strict gender roles that come with the couple's fundie lifestyle. So the age difference doesn't matter as much in this situation.

THIS.

SO MUCH THIS.

THIS.

SO MUCH THIS.

Does not look like Sierra was raised fundie. My son is 26 and if he started dating a girl in high school, even if she was a senior, I would be seriously skeeved about it. But then, I would be concerned about her college plans and not hoping and praying and expecting a girl that age to be married well before exiting her teen years.

I have a daughter who is 15. I am pretty darn sure if she started seeing a 25yo man I would be all over her in a NY minute about it. I want her to go to college, I do not want her married and start popping out kids the moment she graduates high school.

It's just easier to control and keep down someone who, in terms of life experience, has little to none compared to a 25yo. Have a few kids popped out and presto! That's pretty much full control.

Now I know people go through things, difficult things, before they graduate high school. Not knocking that at all, but there's a certain maturity in life that comes from having to provide yourself, to think about how to make a living; some kids do have to face this in their teens but usually that then means dropping out or GED.

I was 17/18 and dating someone who was 25. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal. Now, looking back, I am completely creeped out about it and think it was inappropriate. That may not be true for everyone, but it certainly was in my case.

I forgot to add....she does the crazy eyes too! :roll:

Her crazy eyes are way worse than Michelle's. I think she's nice, energetic person but i cant stand the ways she talks, laughs and makes craaaazy eyes - all at the same time :pink-shock:

First Post!!

I haven't made my way through all three pages yet, but when I turned on the wedding episode when it was first airing, my husband saw Sierra and said, "I know her!" He's from SW Missouri and they went to the same high school in Carthage (he was either in the same grade or one grade higher). They both participated in speech and debate. He didn't have the impression of her back then as being super religious, but he did say she was very neurotic and controlling on debate trips.

But what 24 year old wants to hang out and date an 18 year old high school student? THAT is what is creepy. The age gap itself isn't that bad, but the maturity factor is huge. I'm 25, and I cannot imagine myself wanting to seriously date someone that is probably thinking about their prom.

I knew an 18yo going out with a 45 yo :ew:

Annnnnd count me in as another who assumed Sierra was about 10 years older than she actually is (she looks easily between 32-35 to me). Does having children literally suck the youth out of your body? :o

I also would have bet over 30...

Certainly that many pregnancies in a row and taking care of all those little kids at the same time must take a toll...

Yet she does not actually look old in her traits. She's pretty fresh in her face...it' her attitude, her style, who make her look older, I guess.

Anna also had three close pregnancies and is now pregnant again, yet she kept a youthful attitude.

Definitely didn't expect that I'm older than Sierra, which I almost certainly am because I turn 26 next month (on Jill's birthday :P ). Wow...

First Post!!

I haven't made my way through all three pages yet, but when I turned on the wedding episode when it was first airing, my husband saw Sierra and said, "I know her!" He's from SW Missouri and they went to the same high school in Carthage (he was either in the same grade or one grade higher). They both participated in speech and debate. He didn't have the impression of her back then as being super religious, but he did say she was very neurotic and controlling on debate trips.

Welcome!

That's funny. Thanks for sharing! I can totally imagine her as quite the neurotic perfectionist. And yeah, she talks about how she prayed for the first time in a year the day she met her husband, so she couldn't have been particularly religious back then. I wonder what could possibly have made her decide to leave her family size up to God if she couldn't even be bothered to pray just a few months prior.

From what I've seen of Sierra on 19 Kids...I can say that I've seen enough of her and would be quite happy if she isn't shown anymore. I also assumed she was mid-30's or so.

I think a 17 year old with someone in their mid-20's is a bit odd. I certainly wouldn't want my teenager (if I had one) dating someone that old. I have known a lot of people who are okay with it though. In high school, my friends parents encouraged her to date a 23 year old who worked with her dad. He was a creep, in my opinion. She got pregnant. They were going to get married until she wised up and realized he was awful.

9 times out of 10, these young people dating older people think it's because they are oh-so-mature for their age. When in reality, the older one in the relationship is just immature for his/her age.

So Sierra is attending the Big Sandy conference. Guess she'll start real homeschool this year (her eldest turns 5 this summer). No hope for her, it seems. She's drenched in the Koolaid.

She was also involved in throwing a wedding shower for Michael Bates and Brandon Keilen: instagram.com/p/15Lv4FMbsw/

Don't know if she was once more the party planner or if she just made the chocolate-covered strawberries.

thoughts:

holy cow... i'm older than sierra? :wtf: You couldn't pay me to have one baby right now, let alone a whole slew of them...

How can you have that many babies in a short time? I mean... pregnancy takes a lot out of you, doesn't it? (Minerals.. vitamins... baby growing energy). That just doesn't seem healthy to turn around and keep popping out babies again and again.

Yes, doctor's typically recommend waiting a while so your body can replenish nutrients.

Personally, I could never imagine having children close together. I just have one toddler and I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want a 2nd child.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived