IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez (Jill and Jessa’s wedding planner)

JillyO

Since Sierra has received quite a bit of airtime on 19KAC recently and there seems to be some interest in her life, I thought I’d open a thread about her. Here’s what I’ve been gleaning from her social media accounts:

• Sierra is 25 years old. She met her husband, Mark, when she was 18, and married him 8 months later, when she was 19, in December of 2008.

• They both went to the same public (!!!) school, but he is about six years older than her. She is a SAHM and as far as I can tell never worked outside the home or received any education post high school. Mark went to Southwest Baptist University for Theology/Pastoral Ministry. He has apparently been trying to feed the family as a minister, though he has occasionally held odd jobs to make ends meet (a car wash comes to mind, though I am sure there were more). Not sure what he currently does.

• The have four kids and another on the way. Though she doesn’t use the term quiverfull, she has stated that before they got married, she and Mark decided that they would leave the number of children they would have up to God. Their first son was born in summer of 2010. She then had two more boys and then a girl, who was born in September 2014. The new baby is due in the fall, so they’ll have five under six. If she continues at this rate, she might actually make it to Michelle-and-Kelly numbers.

• Sierra leads a church youth group and apparently also runs a small business where she makes chocolate covered fruit and such, though I am apparently banned from the business’s FB page, so you’ll have to explore that further for yourself. :D

• Her family is definitely not fundie. She has one younger sister, who graduated from high school last year and plays rugby in very defrauding clothes. Everyone in her family wears short shorts, tank tops, etc. I can’t be 100 % sure, but I strongly believe (based on pictures I saw) that alcohol is being consumed during their family gatherings.

• Sierra seems to have become more and more outwardly fundie over the years. She used to celebrate the heathen festival of Halloween, wear tank tops, pants, bikinis etc., show her naked baby belly and so on. All of this has gradually decreased to a point where she blends in perfectly with the Duggars. She now seems to share pretty much exactly their modesty standards.

• In spite of these apparent differences to her family, she still seems to be VERY close to her family and proud of her little sister, so that’s refreshing to see.

• Sierra was a co-wedding planner for Jill Duggar Dillard’s wedding and the sole wedding planner for Jessa Duggar Seewald’s wedding. She has also organized other events for the Duggars, such as Michael’s first birthday and Josiah’s graduation party. She is not a professional party planner of any kind, though.

• She seems to be pretty close to the Duggars. In particular, I would have to say she is closest to Anna and Joy. She visits the TTH quite frequently, goes on double dates with the courting/married couples, brings her kids to play with the little ones, etc.

Okay, I think I’ve written enough. I will say that I have spent entirely too much time snooping into her life. Not sure why I’m so curious about her. Please don't judge me! :lol:

Here are some links:

facebook.com/sierrajo.dominguez (her FB page)

facebook.com/dojosdesigns (her business’s FB page, though I personally cannot access that)

dojosdesigns.blogspot.de/ (her blog with only two entries)

pinterest.com/teamdojo/ (her Pinterest)

Unfortunately, she recently deleted her Instagram account, which was quite the treasure trove.

Alrighty, discuss!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if she met her husband when she was 18 and married him when she was 19 and that was in December, she would have met him in April, when she was still finishing up her senior year of high school. He was 24. She was EIGHTEEN. And still in HIGH SCHOOL. I call so much creep on this dude. :ew: :ew: :ew:

Thanks for this information about Sierra. I wonder Joe her family feels about her new way, but I'm glad it seems as though she is still close to her family.

Sierra on the show is annoying. I do not enjoy watching her at all.

I honestly believe I could do a better job of Jessa's wedding than she did. For one, if I was unable to use powers of persuasion to convince the Duggars to treat their guests better than a parking lot reception, I would at the very least be checking the weather obsessively a week or more ahead of time.

She was frantically calling for heaters. What if it had rained? Uh yeah I definitely would have had a handle on that.

A lot of times when I watch the show I feel like TLC introduces new characters to try to liven things up. I do not believe TLC is just going along with how the Duggars live their life. I do think it is way more scripted and planned than the term "reality TV" would lead you to believe. Another way the Duggars are disingenuous.

Here's hoping this woman's presence fades away from TV.

So, if she met her husband when she was 18 and married him when she was 19 and that was in December, she would have met him in April, when she was still finishing up her senior year of high school. He was 24. She was EIGHTEEN. And still in HIGH SCHOOL. I call so much creep on this dude. :ew: :ew: :ew:

I don't know when her birthday is. Could be any time between April and December, so it's entirely possible that she had already graduated from high school the year before they met. Either way though, I don't think there's anything creepy about an 18-y/o and a 24-y/o. I don't understand what people's obsession with age is about. It's not like they were 12 and 18.

24 and 18 is a bit of a large gap (the half your age plus 7 rules would say that 19 is the youngest a 24-year-old can date without being creepy :lol: ) but I don't think that's terrible.

Err, scratch that, according to her facebook he was 26 and she was 18. That does seem worse.

( facebook.com/sierrajo.dominguez/posts/10153583278525106 )

I don't think I would have guessed she's only 25. 25 and pregnant with #5...

Ugh. Sierra. I find her extremely rude, bossy, arrogant, nasty......I could go on & on. Can't stand her.

24 and 18 is a bit of a large gap (the half your age plus 7 rules would say that 19 is the youngest a 24-year-old can date without being creepy :lol: ) but I don't think that's terrible.

Err, scratch that, according to her facebook he was 26 and she was 18. That does seem worse.

( facebook.com/sierrajo.dominguez/posts/10153583278525106 )

I don't think I would have guessed she's only 25. 25 and pregnant with #5...

Oops, sorry. I was typing this info from memory. I thought I remembered they were 6 years apart. Nice link, too.

And I agree, she seems much older than 25. I guess 4 (soon to be 5) kids will do that to you.

I don't know when her birthday is. Could be any time between April and December, so it's entirely possible that she had already graduated from high school the year before they met. Either way though, I don't think there's anything creepy about an 18-y/o and a 24-y/o. I don't understand what people's obsession with age is about. It's not like they were 12 and 18.

This this this this this. THIS. So much THIS.

She was even of full age when they met. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This this this this this. THIS. So much THIS.

She was even of full age when they met. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But what 24 year old wants to hang out and date an 18 year old high school student? THAT is what is creepy. The age gap itself isn't that bad, but the maturity factor is huge. I'm 25, and I cannot imagine myself wanting to seriously date someone that is probably thinking about their prom.

My girls have gone on dates with guys who are 5-6 years older and they are 19 & 21 . They claim that guys their ages just wanna stick it in and move on.

But what 24 year old wants to hang out and date an 18 year old high school student? THAT is what is creepy. The age gap itself isn't that bad, but the maturity factor is huge. I'm 25, and I cannot imagine myself wanting to seriously date someone that is probably thinking about their prom.

Also begs the question of how and where they met.

Sierra's daughter is only seven months old.

I get leaving your family size up to God, but I wish these people would at least wait a year before becoming pregnant again. Her youngest is still an infant and won't even be two by the time new baby come a around. I hope the pregnancy isn't messing with her ability to care for and bond with her baby girl. (Morning sickness, fatigue, etc.

I guess someday Sierra will have the sister mom thing happening (unless she has mostly boys, then is it brother dad or brother mom?)

Personally, I feel the same way. I'm 24, and I couldn't imagine dating someone so young. BUT not everyone is the same. There certainly are people in their mid-twenties who are less mature than some 18 or 19 year olds. Maybe he wasn't particularly mature. It's not my business. And it irks me how judgmental people on here are about two adults who weren't brainwashed, but decided for themselves that they wanted to get married. There are many things about this family that I find quite worrisome - their descent into fundamentalism first and foremost. Their age gap certainly isn't one of them.

Personally, I feel the same way. I'm 24, and I couldn't imagine dating someone so young. BUT not everyone is the same. There certainly are people in their mid-twenties who are less mature than some 18 or 19 year olds. Maybe he wasn't particularly mature. It's not my business. And it irks me how judgmental people on here are about two adults who weren't brainwashed, but decided for themselves that they wanted to get married. There are many things about this family that I find quite worrisome - their descent into fundamentalism first and foremost. Their age gap certainly isn't one of them.

The age gap is still worrisome and kind of gross to me, since they were so young when they met. I became a high school teacher right after graduating university, and I was shocked at how different the maturity levels were. I hadn't had much contact with that age group (beyond my younger brothers and their friends), but it immediately became clear how incredibly different they were. I was definitely one of those teenagers who thought herself much more mature than the others -- and I saw other teens who were the same. But the differences were STILL overwhelming. As a result, I can never take any grown man in his 20s who chases after teens seriously. He's just skeevy.

BUT there are some people who really encourage this. Remember Phil Robertson's rant about marrying girls when they're 15 or 16, so you can train them to pick your ducks? Lots of guys get off on those crazy levels of control and power.

She is 25? :pink-shock: I thought she was at least 30..

Me, too! She looks way older than her age.

And I agree with those who find her annoying. Her voice, her bossy manners, her histerical laugh...irritating.

Edited to add: I also find the age gap with her husband creepy and worrying given her young age when they got married.

And, gosh, I did so many things and grew on so many levels between 18 and 25 and can't think how one could skip all of that and instantly become a serial mother...to each their own I guess.

Sierra is pretty annoying, but I'd rather listen to her than Michelle. Bossy voice is better than baby voice IMO.

As far as the age gap, I'm 19 and have been dating a 28 year old for about a year now. We started dating when I was 18. I've always dated older, considering my maturity level. Obviously, I'm not marrying him any time soon, but still, unless it's illegal, I try not to judge on age gaps.

Age gaps in young people are worrisome because of a power imbalance. The older person in a relationship may use their younger partner's lack of "maturity" to manipulate or pressure them into something they aren't comfortable with. The idea that the younger one has to prove that they're worthy is what is problematic.

However, we can assume that Sierra's relationship was already based on a power imbalance because of the strict gender roles that come with the couple's fundie lifestyle. So the age difference doesn't matter as much in this situation.

i find her annoying and hope that she isn't angling for her own show. And worse, as an event planner she sucks, so I am really not sure what value add she brings in, other than perhaps another young, kind of pretty young woman who perhaps contributes to making the lifestyle seem normal.

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I looked at her Facebook page because i was curious how a seemingly normal girl ends up being a character on the Duggar show. She used to wear pants long ago, so it brings me to wonder how people get sucked into this cult. How come we can see the crazy and they can't?

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I looked at her Facebook page because i was curious how a seemingly normal girl ends up being a character on the Duggar show. She used to wear pants long ago, so it brings me to wonder how people get sucked into this cult. How come we can see the crazy and they can't?

Gotta be more complex than this, but the lifestyle likely appeals to people who believe there are black/white yes/no answers to everything, and can only relax when someone tells them exactly how to live.

Fundamentalism seems to be increasing all over the world - and not just the Quiverfull type.

Most everyone on FJ, on the other hand, can survive randomness and uncertainty - or even welcome it.

My 2 cents.

Gotta be more complex than this, but the lifestyle likely appeals to people who believe there are black/white yes/no answers to everything, and can only relax when someone tells them exactly how to live.

Fundamentalism seems to be increasing all over the world - and not just the Quiverfull type.

Most everyone on FJ, on the other hand, can survive randomness and uncertainty - or even welcome it.

My 2 cents.

There's definitely something reassuring about being told exactly how things are. I didn't grew up Quiverfull or anything, but I grew up pretty darn fundie. Became heathen about 10 years ago in college. Well, the transition to heathenism started then.

I can still see the appeal. When my grandfather died after battling dementia for the last years of his life, the idea of him reuniting with my late grandmother was so appealing on a visceral level that it made my heart hurt to think about it. It still is. It's nice to think that after dealing with all this crap on earth, your reward is eternal life in the clouds, or something.

So I'm guessing the cults reel people in by promising them certainty and eternal life, etc. Plus, never discount the social aspect. I kept going to church as a teenager in large part because of crushes on guys in my youth group, and the idea that they weren't like all those Dangerous Secular Boys. I mean, I still thought all boys were Raging Hormone Monsters out to steal my virtue, but I still held the church boys in higher esteem somehow.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived